Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chelle db
    Great post Deejay...still the question lingers...who is leading SG1? TPTB really need to think about that and resolve it...I hope it's Sam...that would be totally wicked!!
    Don't ask the question, I'm afraid we might not like the answer, but if you really want to be depressed to the aol.com stargate page and watch Beau Bridges talk about the episode http://television.aol.com/feature/stargate-sg1-tv
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

On the Leadership topic:
      Spoiler:
      Originally posted by chelle db
      Great post Deejay...still the question lingers...who is leading SG1? TPTB really need to think about that and resolve it...I hope it's Sam...that would be totally wicked!!

EDIT: Sorry...don't want to start a debate on WSL...don't shoot me...I'm behind on the posts...sorry!
      Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Don't ask the question, I'm afraid we might not like the answer
      I agree with Mandy.
      Don't ask them to ever answer that question squarely.
      Because the answer is Mitchell.

They've muddied the waters a bit because someone knows that what they did was wrong. To give the leadership of SG-1 away to someone new coming on to the show, over someone who had the position and had spent 8 years with the show? Some of them, if not all of them, knew it was wrong. But they did it anyway, because they figured the show was better off with a New Lead Male as the CO of SG-1 - probably with money and viewship as their gauge for what they thought would be 'right'.

I hate what they did. Writing Carter out of SG-1 so that they could have someone new come in and take over her position.

There are all sorts of ways to try and rationalize what they did, both in terms of $$$ and what type of viewership they might have thought they were appealing to... as well as in terms of trying to rationalize it in terms of the Stargate SG-1 'tapestry', history and characterizations. But those were covered - extremely thoroughly in the WSL thread (and in a few other threads, like the anti Season 9 thread).

The plain and simple truth is that TPTB wrote Carter out of command and then wrote in the new Leading Alpha Male as the CO of SG-1.

Whether or not they thought they'd get away with it, I don't know.

Whether or not they figured there wouldn't be any fallout from it, I don't know.

Watching how they've made some sort of reach for the concept of co-leadership (at times), it makes me think that at least some of TPTB are feeling a bit guilty and/or are hearing some of the comments made by those who are incensed at what was done to Carter's position.

Perhaps it's AT's influence? (the mentioning of co-leadership at times). I don't know.

No matter what they say about co-leadership at times, however, it doesn't negate the fact that SG-1 is Mitchell's team, they wrote lines for him where he refers to himself as 'SG-1 Leader', Ben Browder has called Mitchell 'the leader of SG-1' in interviews, etc.

It doesn't make sense (to those with a sense of fair play) that they would give the leadership of SG-1 to a new character over one who'd been around and faithful for 8 years. But they did.

Was it a sexist move? Based on sexist expectations of their viewing audience? In my opinion
      Spoiler:
      He!l Yes!

Did they get away with it?

It sure looks like it to me.

-------

Is it cool that Carter got to be in command of the SG-C while Landry was away? Absolutely. Was it probably done to try a tiny bit of amelioration towards those who have negative feelings regarding how Carter's character was written out of command so that the new Male Lead could be written into command? I believe so.

For me, it was cool that Carter was shown to be in command of the SG-C while Landry was away, but it doesn't come anywhere near compensating for writing her out of command of SG-1.

PS: I am not trying to re-create the WSL arguements here. I do not want to debate who is better qualified to lead SG-1 (Mitchell vs. Carter), because that was done extensively (and very well) in the WSL thread. Mitchell's as qualified as they want to write him to be (they can throw in a comment about Special Forces and and whatever else they want, whenever they want) - and so is Carter (as qualified as they want to write her to be).

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
        Spoiler:
        It was mentioned in a conversation between Sam and Vala. Vala had just finished using the hand held device to heal the wounded SG members who had been attacked. Brief filler scene to show that Vala is of value and that Sam and Vala have a working relationship (almost wrote friendship but don't think they are quite there yet).
        wow, i don't remember this scene at all. i am going to rewatch it, so i know i'll catch it this time.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kes
          Spoiler:
          Yeh they look different. I like Mitchells better. It has a prettier a$$.
          LOL!!!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            On the Leadership topic:
            Spoiler:

I agree with Mandy.
            Don't ask them to ever answer that question squarely.
            Because the answer is Mitchell.

They've muddied the waters a bit because someone knows that what they did was wrong. To give the leadership of SG-1 away to someone new coming on to the show, over someone who had the position and had spent 8 years with the show? Some of them, if not all of them, knew it was wrong. But they did it anyway, because they figured the show was better off with a New Lead Male as the CO of SG-1 - probably with money and viewship as their gauge for what they thought would be 'right'.

I hate what they did. Writing Carter out of SG-1 so that they could have someone new come in and take over her position.

There are all sorts of ways to try and rationalize what they did, both in terms of $$$ and what type of viewership they might have thought they were appealing to... as well as in terms of trying to rationalize it in terms of the Stargate SG-1 'tapestry', history and characterizations. But those were covered - extremely thoroughly in the WSL thread (and in a few other threads, like the anti Season 9 thread).

The plain and simple truth is that TPTB wrote Carter out of command and then wrote in the new Leading Alpha Male as the CO of SG-1.

Whether or not they thought they'd get away with it, I don't know.

Whether or not they figured there wouldn't be any fallout from it, I don't know.

Watching how they've made some sort of reach for the concept of co-leadership (at times), it makes me think that at least some of TPTB are feeling a bit guilty and/or are hearing some of the comments made by those who are incensed at what was done to Carter's position.

Perhaps it's AT's influence? (the mentioning of co-leadership at times). I don't know.

No matter what they say about co-leadership at times, however, it doesn't negate the fact that SG-1 is Mitchell's team, they wrote lines for him where he refers to himself as 'SG-1 Leader', Ben Browder has called Mitchell 'the leader of SG-1' in interviews, etc.

It doesn't make sense (to those with a sense of fair play) that they would give the leadership of SG-1 to a new character over one who'd been around and faithful for 8 years. But they did.

Was it a sexist move? Based on sexist expectations of their viewing audience? In my opinion
            Spoiler:
            He!l Yes!

Did they get away with it?

It sure looks like it to me.

-------

Is it cool that Carter got to be in command of the SG-C while Landry was away? Absolutely. Was it probably done to try a tiny bit of amelioration towards those who have negative feelings regarding how Carter's character was written out of command so that the new Male Lead could be written into command? I believe so.

For me, it was cool that Carter was shown to be in command of the SG-C while Landry was away, but it doesn't come anywhere near compensating for writing her out of command of SG-1.

PS: I am not trying to re-create the WSL arguements here. I do not want to debate who is better qualified to lead SG-1 (Mitchell vs. Carter), because that was done extensively (and very well) in the WSL thread. Mitchell's as qualified as they want to write him to be (they can throw in a comment about Special Forces and and whatever else they want, whenever they want) - and so is Carter (as qualified as they want to write her to be).

Great post, AstroG!!

Spoiler:
            did the get away with it, though? Not according to the ratings. I know there are various reasons why the ratings went down in season 9, and now very low in season 10, but I think one of them is this leadership issue. Too bad really. They could have used BB so much better than they have and kept Sam in sole command of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              yes, the skydiving ads are all my fault

call 1800 bite me and get over it
              LOL!! I so need a good laugh at the moment!! Thank you!!
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                Nope. Doesn't qualify because it's all tell.

I want to see the cop hand her a ticket. I want to see file footage of a leather-clad female form riding a motorcycle, then cut to Sam getting off a bike in the parking lot. Surely the insurance companies would let her dismount a parked bike! They let her ride a horse in Emancipation(or let us think it was her, anyways. Could have been a stunt double, I suppose.)
                Oooh yeah...Sam getting in trouble with the law...naughty Sam...that would be great!!! LOL!!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i didn't have an issue with sam being sick since wasn't she the only one to have never been through the gate?
                  You could be right on that one Sky...and there were others that did get sick too...I'm guessing they did something with the gate to prevent feeling sick on the other side and the frozen effects as well. And I'm guessing it was Sam who did that!!
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    On the Leadership topic:
                    Spoiler:

actually, you did a very good job avoiding WSL. let's see if i can (it's in my blood, i tell ya!)
                    Spoiler:
                    i agree, i think they did get away with it, despite chocdoc's point about the ratings. they got away with it because they haven't been forced to change it, and i seriously doubt they ever will be. though they did loose some fans in the process--ironically, probably more due to the muddy water than the actual demotion--i think they may actually make a clean getaway. and it sickens me. (angers me too.) but i think you're wrong about how qualified they write them. mitchell is as qualified as they show him, providing it fits with past events. otherwise i, at least, will just chuck it. they screwed up, i'm not buying into their dropped hint lines about special forces. mitchell is not special forces, you showed me that. now you're just lying. carter is as qualified as she's been shown and written in the past. which, IMO, is very. you can't illogically write her into command of the SGC and expect me to forgive you. you can't remind me of weir and expect me to think you're not sexist. you write the best officer for the job out of a position because, at least at it’s most basic (and i’ll be damned if i care about the rest), she’s a woman and not a man, and i’m going to think you’re sexist. why am i saying "you"? sorry astro.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      Don't ask the question, I'm afraid we might not like the answer, but if you really want to be depressed to the aol.com stargate page and watch Beau Bridges talk about the episode http://television.aol.com/feature/stargate-sg1-tv
                      Thanks...but no thanks...I don't want to read or listen to anything that could send me off the deep end...I like feeling blissfully happy thank you!! Life's good!!!
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        But thrill-seeking requires a certain degree of rashness, don't you agree?

I just think it shows in his personality that Cam is more of a thrill-seeker than Sam's character is - again - shown to be.
                        Actually I disagree. First, not all thrill seekers are rash. Just because they might do things that other people might find frightening, doesn't make them rash. Rashness, by definition, is acting without thought. Thrill seeking does not necessarily include acting imprudently.

Second, people can be rash without being thrill seeking at all. People make rash decisions in their careers, in their relationships with families. People can be rash and emotional and screw up every conversation they're in because they don't stop and think through their decisions. But it has nothing to do with thrill seeking.

We've seen rash behavior from Mitchell, but it doesn't follow from his rashness that it's because he's an thrill seeker.

All we've got to go on to define Mitch as a thrill seeker is him saying he is.

You may not like Space Race, but I think it does show Sam's thrill seeking side. We see her agreeing to Warrick's proposition without waiting for General Hammond's approval, because she wants to be in the race that badly. We see how much more excited she is for this mission than most others she goes on, so much so that it warrants comment from Daniel. We see her grinning from ear to ear at the 'fun' involved in a race she's already been told will be very dangerous. It doesn't matter if the race scenes were filmed boringly. It's Sam's anticipation, her excitment at the idea of being in a dangerous race in a space ship that highlights that aspect of her character. We see the normally mature, prim Air Force Major bubbling like a little girl over the prospect of something pretty darn thrilling.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Uninvited
                          Spoiler:
                          So did anyone else notice the comment by Mitchell in Uninvited where he also said he was an adrenaline junkie? I was sure someone would be jumping all over that one by now.
                          I'm ignoring a lot of what was in that episode I think I may be joining Astro over on the Whinge Nuts when I get time.
                          -

Comment

Congrats on all the milestones...WTG!!
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                              In WATERGATE she didnt seem to have any issues with the skydiving. I have to watch it again to see if she was very happy about it but I think she was. Teal'c notsomuch.
                              Actually if you watch that ep she doesnt seem very happy about it. That always bugged me.

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                              the ads at the bottom (and top) of the page are keyword sensitive. we're typing so much about cars, the ads are about cars. they're usually about skydiving thanks to our resident mod. good thing we finally dumped that darn {preemptive snip}
                              Oh, never notice those.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                In WATERGATE she didnt seem to have any issues with the skydiving. I have to watch it again to see if she was very happy about it but I think she was. Teal'c notsomuch.
                                Originally posted by kes
                                Actually if you watch that ep she doesnt seem very happy about it. That always bugged me.

Oh, never notice those.
                                But as I recall, she was the first one to jump out
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X