Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I tend to agree. I like that the show is in a separate reality with President Henry Hayes and the NID and the SGC etc. For me, inserting "real" political humor is jarring, regardless of who or what political party is getting razzed.
    Spoiler:
    Well they never actually mentioned Cheney so there's nothing to suggest it couldn't have happened to 'Mr. Smith' (Hayes Vice President). It's also never been mentioned what party Hayes represents anyway, so I don't really see how it's razzing any party

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Spoiler:
      Well they never actually mentioned Cheney so there's nothing to suggest it couldn't have happened to 'Mr. Smith' (Hayes Vice President). It's also never been mentioned what party Hayes represents anyway, so I don't really see how it's razzing any party
      But the fact remains, AD,
      Spoiler:
      that the comment was put in specifically because of a highly identifiable event with a real life person. Do you honestly believe they were referring to the fictional VP on the series here? Because if you do, I have a LOVELY bridge to sell you cheap.

As an American, I can tell you that once we realized the man was okay, the jokes were funny at first. But, having lived through it, it got old after the 2nd or 3rd week of continuous joking about it.

Regardless of who the real life politician is or what real life party they belong to, I still find it thoroughly jarring to have those kinds of real life political references in this setting because the true object of the razz doesn't exist in the fictional world. There is no frame of reference for people viewing in Timbuktu because they don't have a clue as to what the punchline means as they aren't familiar with American politics and none of the political figures on the screen experienced what's being joked about.

Ergo, it lacks a common frame of reference for the show.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I was excited when I was able to announce that I was one of MANY Samandans who was nommed for an SG Fan Award.

But...if you were considering voting for me, you'll note I'm no longer listed.

It seems my video has been disqualified because it was not SG-centric, but rather was focused on Amanda herself. Even though there are lots of SG clips, there are also lots of non-SG clips in it.

Oh well.

At any rate, thanks for whoever nommed me. It was fun while it lasted.
        (((((Über)))))
        your vid is still one of the best Amanda vids I have ever seen so... don't worrie!!! we love it no matter what!!
        and next year you make sure you make a Sam vid lol

Comment

But the fact remains, AD,
          Spoiler:
          that the comment was put in specifically because of a highly identifiable event with a real life person. Do you honestly believe they were referring to the fictional VP on the series here? Because if you do, I have a LOVELY bridge to sell you cheap.
          Spoiler:
          Of course they were talking about the RL incident, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in the fictional setting on the show either. Jokes about Mary Steenburgen or Uma Thurman? Similiar kinda thing. Also, anyone in the Western world who watches/reads the news semi-regulary would have heard about the VP hunting thing. It was a throwaway line - there for a lol and then moving on.

Comment

Spoiler:
            Of course they were talking about the RL incident, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in the fictional setting on the show either. Jokes about Mary Steenburgen or Uma Thurman? Similiar kinda thing. Also, anyone in the Western world who watches/reads the news semi-regulary would have heard about the VP hunting thing. It was a throwaway line - there for a lol and then moving on.
            LOL I understood the point of it. The difference is that the people you're talking about EXIST even in the fantasy world that is SG-1.
            Spoiler:
            Political figures do not. There's no frame of reference on the show.

But then, I don't care enough about this topic and I've already wasted 3 posts explaining why I don't think it's a good idea for TPTB to insert any real life political humor into the show. So agree...disagree...whatever.

Moving along now...
            By the way, isn't Sam a great character?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

By the way, isn't Sam a great character?
              Love the gif.

Comment

Wow Ooob, great gif, looking at it I wonder with all those shells flying backwards, how the actors don't get injuries from firing them
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  Wow Ooob, great gif, looking at it I wonder with all those shells flying backwards, how the actors don't get injuries from firing them
                  I was thinking that myself. I certainly don't want Amanda to get a shell in the face! *hands Amanda goggles*

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                    Re: Uninvited

Spoiler:
                    I really liked Sam in this ep... ladies and gentlemen I think we finally have our Sam back! P-90 in hand, leading the SGC, leading her team and, most importantly, being the confident, friendly and approachable person she was before season 9! AND we got a "Holy Hannah!" to boot!

I'm a LOT more optimistic about 200 after seeing that!

Yeah me too, and I didn't even like "Wormhole Extreme". Looking forward to
                    Spoiler:
                    seeing JAck back. I hope he interacts with Sam, Teal'c, & Daniel like the close nit family they once were. I'm hoping he isn't there to promote the new characters again. After seeing Sam in charge I have lots of hope for 200 & perhaps more episodes in the future, but hey I'll take one episode at a time. And OK I'll be honest I'm look forward to a Jack/Sam moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      That's cos the casings fly out the side, not backwards Or they use the P90, which ejects the spent casings downwards.

Comment

That's cos the casings fly out the side, not backwards Or they use the P90, which ejects the spent casings downwards.
                        Thanks AD, I feel much better now
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

spoilers for 'uninvited'

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                          apparently i'm in the minority tonight.
                          Spoiler:

the hand device thing was horrible. ok, sam's uncomfortable with it, fine. but at least ADDRESS it. it felt extremely like vala was purposefully shoving it in her face, which makes NO sense given the friendship that was supposedly building throughout the rest of the ep.
                          Spoiler:
                          yes, i watched the episode, but i can't remember a hand device scene. refresh my memory please.

sally

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                            Uninvited - well I loved it and I hated it!!

Beware negative thoughts follow - read at own risk

Spoiler:

Like I said - I loved and hated it. Loved it because it was so much better than S9 and they are working to try to fix it BUT I hated it because it still aint Stargate - IMHO.
                            that's how i feel too.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s9

Originally posted by kes
                              Spoiler:
                              This wasnt about Carter being leader, I think she should be. But that's a whole new story. This was about you blaming everything on Laundry. I dont think it is his fault that she was in A51 and that Mitchell got command. O'Neill gave it to him.
                              Spoiler:
                              jack did *not* give mitchell command of sg1. jack told mitchell he could pretty much choose what he wants, but he did NOT tell mitchell that he could have *sam's* command. landry gave mitchell command of the team, *after* sam left and *after* all the big threats (goauld, replicater) were gone (which allowed her the leeway of leaving).

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

guys, guys, guys, guys

i avoided the WSL thread for a reason. What does it have to do with sam?
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X