Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberLM
    I assume you are talking about 'Insiders' which I have just had the *pleasure* of watching and I have to say I agree whole-heartedly!

I love Sam Carter and I love Amanda Tapping but for Heaven's sake what the HELL are TPTB doing to our beloved character?!?

Spoiler:
    Firstly,

1. Why was Sam taking point in a foothold situation unarmed? (Although I suppose the fact that she was taking the lead is something.)
    2. Why did Colonel "MacGyver" Carter just stand staring at the locked door until Mitchell opened it for her?
    3. Why did she just agree to back down when Ba'al issued his first threat? (And for BARRETT?!?)
    4. Why on Earth did Sam give Ba'al the *correct* information when I'm sure she could've found a way to give him junk files?
    5. Why is the whole thing, once again, Sam's fault?!?

ARGH! I'm sorry, you guys have probably had a few days to calm down but I'm *REALLY* p'd off right now! I wanna hit something... where's Cam when you need him?

1000 apologies, spoiler tags fixed
    Golfbooy did a brilliant breakdown of this episode on Page EIGHT of the episode thread. It speaks I think to the questions you have. It certainly helped me clear up how I was feeling.

Everybody be sure to green him okay?
    Last edited by Uber; 06 August 2006, 02:27 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Oooooh, I'm SOOOOOOO gonna tell Sunny what you said!

*yer gonna get it...yer gonna get it...yer gonna get it...*

Ooooh sorry Ooooober, but you forgot to duck
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

DOH!

*wipes tomato juice off of face*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

Did anyone say duck
          *Ducks really fast*

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
            Did anyone say duck
            *Ducks really fast*
            Mmmmm, Duck! Stop making me hungry!
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Golfbooy did a brilliant breakdown of this episode on Page 7 of the episode thread. It speaks I think to the questions you have. It certainly helped me clear up how I was feeling.

Everybody be sure to green him okay?
              It's page 8, not page 7 but thanks for the link. I agree, for the most part, it was a fair and to my mind an honest and frank review of the episode.
              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                Did anyone say duck
                *Ducks really fast*
                little bit of advice, with ducks, you don't have to duck, just make sure you're not looking up
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                  It's page 8, not page 7 but thanks for the link. I agree, for the most part, it was a fair and to my mind an honest and frank review of the episode.
                  AH page 8. My apologies.

I hope you all still green him though. Very well-written and thorough review.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                    Spoiler:

Basically without getting into details this is the tone of that scene (IMHO).

Bad guy : You will do what I want!
                    Good guy: No, I won't!
                    Bad guy : You will or I will do mean and despicable things.
                    Good guy: Oh, OK then

Lazy bloody writing!! It wasn't the only occurrence of such but it was the one that really ticked me off.
                    Exactly.
                    Spoiler:
                    There is no way in h*** that an officer like Sam would give away sensitive security like that because the bad guy put a proverbial gun to another officer's head. They've had her 'yes sir'ing and 'no sir'ing and spouting off regulations by the book for going on ten years now and all of a sudden she gives away information at the highest security level simply because someone else was threatened? In true military fashion, if those four or five other air force officers and Barrett were all going to be slaughtered in that room with a blunt spoon while she watched she should still have kept quiet about it. She's been trained better than that. TPTB really wanted to take a chunk out of Sam Carter's character with this one, apparently. Either that or they're so completely clueless, they couldn't care less. Regardless, it was a completely unbelieveable and implausible scenario.

Having said that ... golfbooy, I did think your post in the other thread was extremely eloquent and well stated. Yours as well, Ooober. Even if there's no possible way I can similarily excuse certain of the issues to my own personal satisfaction.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      that is one very refreshing and positive thing about her. The way of the world right now???? blame anyone and everyone for your mistakes. Spill coffee in y our lap? well the cup manufacturer must have made them wrong. ran a red light and hit a car?? well it wouldn't have happened if the guy that had the right of way had been paying more attention and got out of YOUR way.

lie, cheat and steal? not my fault, blame my horrible and traumatic life

sam takes responsibiilty for heractions...which so many other folks don't (apparantly including the writers of the show.)

that in itself is a very redeeming and respectful thing to emulate[
                      Verily.

Comment

I don't see what the problem is. Sam thought that even if she gave Baal what he wanted, he still wouldn't make it off the base alive, because obviously there would be a plan in place to stop him. I think she did it because she had faith in her comrades, that they would be able to stop Baal. Now, it turns out that Baal outsmarted all of them, and escaped, but that's not Sam's fault. It's no one's fault, really. Baal just had a perfect plan, and outsmarted everyone at the SGC. As for her apologizing, I think it's just because she blames herself, because she expects herself to be perfect, which isn't really a bad thing.

Comment

You know, it struck me that had
                          Spoiler:
                          Sam done the opposite, the same people castigating her...and NO I don't mean y'all ...would still find something to complain about. More than likely that she was a heartless wench for not even making an effort or that she didn't trust her team to back her up or whatever.
                          Oy...I just want to wring AM's neck for writing things so ambiguously. (I mean that non-violently so mods please be gentle with me. I bruise easy).
                          Spoiler:
                          My firm belief though, given what we know about her character, is that she balanced the absolute fact that hostages were going to die if she didn't do everything she could do to stall for time versus a massive list of dead ends for Ba'al should he escape...which she didn't believe would happen because, from her perspective, it was only a matter of time before the others contained the situation.
                          Last edited by Uber; 06 August 2006, 03:06 PM.

Comment

One thing I'm really glad of was the fact that Daniel wasn't there. This gave Vala a chance to interact with the others more naturally...and I especially loved her interactions with Sam. They seem so natural and unforced and I want more.

Maybe we can get Daniel to move to Atlantis for a few months, which would really allow Vala to settle in and create bonds apart from him.

*wicked evil grin*

I'm just sayin.'

Comment

You know, I said it before and I'll say it again.

I'm glad we don't all fall into lockstep and adore everything she does just because she's Carter, or just because she's played by Amanda Tapping and we recognize how talented and wonderful she is. I've seen that kind of attitude in other aspects of SG fandom and find it thoroughly disturbing.

It's great that we all have minds and all feel free to call it like we see it. Some see things one way, some see it another. But it's all okay in the end because we still love Sam and recognize what a fantastic character she is...mistakes and all.

Long live Samanda.

Comment

You know, it struck me that had
                                Spoiler:
                                Sam done the opposite, the same people castigating her...and NO I don't mean y'all ...would still find something to complain about. More than likely that she was a heartless wench for not even making an effort or that she didn't trust her team to back her up or whatever.
                                Oy...I just want to wring AM's neck for writing things so ambiguously. (I mean that non-violently so mods please be gentle with me. I bruise easy).
                                Spoiler:
                                My firm belief though, given what we know about her character, is that she balanced the absolute fact that hostages were going to die if she didn't do everything she could do to stall for time versus a massive list of dead ends for Ba'al should he escape...which she didn't believe would happen because, from her perspective, it was only a matter of time before the others contained the situation.
                                First of all, I'll hold him, while you......

Spoiler:
                                Let's not forget the biggest blunder wasn't Sam's it was Landry's for not locking out the codes of a high ranking officer who had been comprimised (captured) And they make Sam apolagize
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X