X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rachel500
    My go at this game

Season 1, The Year of 'Proving Herself' Carter
    Sam was trying to prove herself, specifically, to O'Neill. She was proving she was worthy of a place on the team by trying to prove what a good soldier she was as well as demonstrating her technical and scientific genius. Season 1 Carter for me is best encapsulated in Hathor; competent, showing early signs of good leadership, strength in getting up when blasted by Hathor and earning herself a commendation and the approval of her CO.

Season 2, The Year of 'Jolinar' Carter
    Sam's experience with Jolinar was the major impact to her character; she's left with changed body chemistry and vague fuzzy memories of a life she didn't lead and feelings she didn't feel. She continues to focus on doing the best job she can for the team while dealing with the huges changes Jolinar poses for her and the issues with her father. The Tok'ra Part 1 and 2 encapsulate Season 2 Carter for me; trying desperately to understand Jolinar and what that means for her while dealing with her father's fate and in doing so providing a way forward for the Tau'ri to make an allegiance with the Tok'ra.

Season 3, The Year of 'Major' Carter
    Finally getting comfortable in her own skin again; Jolinar continues to be an influence but Sam is separating Jolinar from herself now. Her promotion gives her added confidence. Sam revels in her trusted position in the team and knowing her own worth. Season 3 Carter for me is encapsulated in Foothold; preventing the base being overtaken by aliens and coming up with the solution to disturb the technology.

Season 4, The Year of 'Being Professional' Carter
    With her professional value established, her feelings for her CO create a personal conflict for her but she acts honourably choosing to sacrifice her personal desires and doesn't allow her feelings for her CO, nor for anyone else, to overcome her professionalism in getting the job done. Season 4 Carter is encapsulated in Divide and Conquer; figuring out why they weren't za-tarcs, putting her relationship with Martouf aside to shoot him, and agreeing with her CO to leave their confessions in the room.

Season 5, The Year of 'Anti-Establishment' Carter
    After her early experience with Orlin, Carter is focused more on doing the 'right thing', especially as the way forward is often tainted by those responsible for spying on her. Luckily she's supported in this by her team and for them she continues to provide a key contribution in saving them and the world as she develops her leadership skills under her CO's watchful eyes. 2001 for me encapsulates Season 5 Carter; trusted by her command to get the answer to the Aschen question in the face of the government's support of a treaty and saving the world from a biological weapon.

Season 6, The Year of 'Second-in-Command' Carter
    With the death of Daniel, Carter truly excels as O'Neill relies heavily on her in the changed team. She provides him with his main sounding board and becomes his right-hand woman even more so than ever before. Her leadership skills and technical know-how are vital in getting the team in and out of the various situations they encounter. Season 6 Carter is in Smoke and Mirrors; working tirelessly to clear her CO of murder, coming up with the answers and leading the take-down of the evil businessmen behind the NID.

Season 7, The Year of 'Confused' Carter
    Her professional life progressing nicely (occasional leadership gig of her own, completely trusted in the team, great soldier, her technical know-how contributing to the fight against the super-soldiers), Carter becomes confused about the direction of her personal life and whether she needs to move on from the long-buried feelings for her CO or not. Season 7 Carter is encapsulated in Grace; strong, trying to find a solution to save her and the crew of the Prometheus while debating her personal choices...

Season 8, The Year of 'Flawed' Carter
    Everything goes a little pear-shaped for Carter; professionally, although promoted and still showing herself to be a good soldier and contributor to working out the solutions, she questions her leadership abilities despite the support of her CO and team; she makes what she seems to consider her worst mistake yet with her Replicator double. In her personal life she agrees to marry Pete yet comes to realise that she still has feelings for her CO and has to deal with the devastation of losing her father. It is only at the end that her life seems to get back on track as she helps defeat the Replicators, breaks off her engagement and settles back into the security of her team. Threads showcases Season 8 Carter; still feeling responsible for Daniel's fate, confused about her feelings and forced to face them with her father's death, she still comes up with a solution to stop Anubis even if its too late...and finally takes solace by going fishing with her team.

Season 9, The Year of 'Unsettled' Carter
    Spoiler:
    Carter tries to move on from her life in SG1 but is tempted back into service with the threat of the Ori. She continues to contribute to saving the day and in showing good leadership but no longer officially leader of SG1, she initially struggles to find her place again in the new regime while having to deal with some faces from her past. She finally begins to find her place but then the arrival of the Ori happens and she is left hanging in space...Prototype shows Season 9 Carter for me: not quite comfortable with the new set-up, helping Daniel figure out Anubis's plan and setting up the fail-safe with the planet's unusual DHD so Khalek would not be able to return to the machine and ascend.
    An Absolutely 5-star post, Rachel! Such a pleasure to read!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Yea, um...I'm sure you missed it I know its around here somewhere...
      *looks under computer, looks under desk, finds something in cat's mouth...fights cat*

Ow!!!! Oh here it is

Congrats on 800 Posts Sunny
      You let the CAT have it?! Thanks... I see where I rate with YOU.

Thanks Mandy!

Thanks minigeek!

Thanks stargatebarbie!

Thanks OOOooooooberness!
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        yes!!

anyone here that knows me knows i'm a HUGE sam/jack shipper. but, i'm an even bigger sam/amanda fan. with that, i've thoroughly enjoyed the years of tapestry the writers have created for sam over the years. until season 9, which was like pulling some of those threads out of the sam tapestry.

i completely adore jack/rda, but he's never been THE draw for me. it's been sam/amanda. so...

enter season 9. THE (supposed to be) year of the sam-daniel-teal'c show. YES, i was going to miss jack/rda, but the reasons for him leaving (daughter), and the fact that i sometimes felt rda not being 100 percent invested in being there... i was ready for that change.

the images and ideas i had in my mind about the stories we'd see... bring in new characters, bring in new enemies, even bring in a new main mission (no more finding tech and exploration as the main theme), but DON'T diminish THE lead character(s) that gave season 8 *the* hightest ratings off all time.

if these ratings are the new norm for this new show, then the number one reason i feel for this change is that the sam-daniel-teal'c lead combo was literally non existant since season 9. there's more reasons for the lowering ratings (if they aren't a fluke), but i think the first and biggest reason is what i stated above. why was season 8's ratings so high, especially in comparison to season 9 and now 10s? to me, they took something too important away. and the question is, why? why???

sally

Comment

I have always thought that Carters best year was Season 8, which is also my favourite season.

Season 8 is my favourite season because sam, daniel and teal'c got great chances to shine, as did jack in my opinion. he wasn't in it as much and though i missed him in the action i always thought him becoming a general was a great move for his character - all the characters had great moments to shine, and alot of the major plots and fate of the characters were decided, everything came to a climax. I was looking forward to season 9 due to the fact that sam, daniel and teal'c should have had even more chances to shine. but they didn't.

In all honesty after season 8 finished and season 9 was given the go ahead, i knew that they may bring in someone to become part of the team but i thought that they would have used a recurring character or have someone with them if the plot called for it. Personally i would have prefered SG1 to have stayed a 3 person team, even before i knew who was joining or what position they would be in. I never once thought that the show needed it, its characters and the show itself was stronger than others because it did not have a huge cast of different characters. The already Great and well developed SG1 team was all anyone needed, and all i wanted, a never actually wanted a new character join this team due to the fact that (A) he/she would always look underdeveloped next to SG1 (B) in order to solve this problem you would have to have much more focus on the new character and take away from the old characters (the reason the show is great) to make the new character not seem weak. or (C) make the older characters look stupid or behave out of character and give the new one ALOT of chances to shine. ----- all the reasons why i didn't wanted a NEW character to join the SG1 team is because of these reasons. SG1 has been on for so long and i love it so much i dont want new main characters, i just wanted the ones that i loved and have watched the show for. I haven't got any interest in learning about new ones, i want to know about what will happen to the existing ones, main characters and recurring. If they wanted a fourth man on the team and one that is military they should have used an existing one that everyone knows and wants to know more about - like Major Davis, Colonel Reynolds, Colonel Dixon, those guys from SG13 (who i would love to see agan), all that would have happend is that you would learn even more about characters that you already know, some of SG1's recurring characters are great characters who you are just dieing to know more about, but because everyone already knows them and likes them it would not be necessary to go overboard and give the new characters everthing, and take away the old.

Everything that i didn't want happening has happend which is the reason why the show isn't as good. New characters would have fit more in a new show that didn't involve SG1 (example, Atlantis, new show, new villians, i love pretty much all of them, alread know Dr Weir, already love Mckay and want to know more about him, loved him on SG1 and was in heaven when he was put in the new show, which he wasn't originally, i was looking forward to atlantis when i heard about it but my interest skyrocketed when i heard he came on board - a reccurring character who i love and can never see enough now a main character on a show. It definately worked for Mckay and Atlantis, he is probably the most popular in SGA. I would have worked for SG1 to, which is a real shame.

I still the SG1 is a great show, but its not an excellent show anymore because for these changes and different focus of characters. The Ori would have worked better (though they will never be as good as the goa'uld) because of SG1 themselves, you want to know what happens to these people, that is reason enough to hate the Ori. I also don't particularly love the trend of Stargate SG1 getting darker, it works and is powerful when it was used (eg, Abyss) but i dont want the show to go dark and depressing (eg, BSG) it's not SG1. Darkness works for atlantis, Darkness doesn't really work for sg1, because its a total change of the show that NEVER needed changing (we were still watching and dieing to see the next episode weren't we.

wow this is probably my longest post ever [end rant] [end venting]

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            6 Month hiatus might be a blessing, since it will give them more time to polish up the episodes. S9 suffered from sloppy presentation at times, and it's probably not helping things when they need to do 40 episodes per yer with an almost completely new direction on one of the shows. So a 6 month break where they can tweak teh shows better might be just what they need.
            I disagree because...

Season 9 wrapped up filming in October.
            Actors go on a five month hiatus between October - March.
            Writers get a two month hiatus from writing October - December.
            They begin filming the first half of season 10 episodes from March - July.
            In July they take a two week break, then finish filming the second half of the season July - October.
            The first half of S10 airs in July and wraps up in September.

Normally the second half would begin in Jan and end in March, about the same time they begin filming the next season, however now they want to air the episodes between March and May. So in my opinion unless they totally change how they film the episodes as well, should there be a S11, they would begin filming the next season before the fans have even seen the S10 finale so how would they ever be able to take fans reactions and opinions into consideration when filming the next season? If I thought what you said would really be true then I wouldn't mind the hiatus change, but personally I don't see how this can be considered a positive change unless of course this is the last season and they are holding off writing and filming the last episode until later in the year so they can decide if it's going to be a wrap up or another cliff hanger.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I disagree because...

In July they take a two week break, then finish filming the second half of the season July - October.

Normally the second half would begin in Jan and end in March, about the same time they begin filming the next season, however now they want to air the episodes between March and May. So in my opinion unless they totally change how they film the episodes as well, should there be a S11, they would begin filming the next season before the fans have even seen the S10 finale so how would they ever be able to take fans reactions and opinions into consideration when filming the next season? If I thought what you said would really be true then I wouldn't mind the hiatus change, but personally I don't see how this can be considered a positive change unless of course this is the last season and they are holding off writing and filming the last episode until later in the year so they can decide if it's going to be a wrap up or another cliff hanger.
              Further, according to Joe Mallozzi...it'd just be about scheduling.

Aware that there is speculation among some fans that MGM might be doing this in an attempt to ‘retool’ the second half of the seasons or to make writing staff changes, Mallozzi quickly puts those thoughts to rest. “If this six month lay-off thing does turn out to be true, this wouldn't be an MGM decision about production issues. It would be strictly a network decision about scheduling issues.”

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=mrreedwriter

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                I have always thought that Carters best year was Season 8, which is also my favourite season.

Season 8 is my favourite season because sam, daniel and teal'c got great chances to shine, as did jack in my opinion. he wasn't in it as much and though i missed him in the action i always thought him becoming a general was a great move for his character - all the characters had great moments to shine, and alot of the major plots and fate of the characters were decided, everything came to a climax. I was looking forward to season 9 due to the fact that sam, daniel and teal'c should have had even more chances to shine. but they didn't.

In all honesty after season 8 finished and season 9 was given the go ahead, i knew that they may bring in someone to become part of the team but i thought that they would have used a recurring character or have someone with them if the plot called for it. Personally i would have prefered SG1 to have stayed a 3 person team, even before i knew who was joining or what position they would be in. I never once thought that the show needed it, its characters and the show itself was stronger than others because it did not have a huge cast of different characters. The already Great and well developed SG1 team was all anyone needed, and all i wanted, a never actually wanted a new character join this team due to the fact that (A) he/she would always look underdeveloped next to SG1 (B) in order to solve this problem you would have to have much more focus on the new character and take away from the old characters (the reason the show is great) to make the new character not seem weak. or (C) make the older characters look stupid or behave out of character and give the new one ALOT of chances to shine. ----- all the reasons why i didn't wanted a NEW character to join the SG1 team is because of these reasons. SG1 has been on for so long and i love it so much i dont want new main characters, i just wanted the ones that i loved and have watched the show for. I haven't got any interest in learning about new ones, i want to know about what will happen to the existing ones, main characters and recurring. If they wanted a fourth man on the team and one that is military they should have used an existing one that everyone knows and wants to know more about - like Major Davis, Colonel Reynolds, Colonel Dixon, those guys from SG13 (who i would love to see agan), all that would have happend is that you would learn even more about characters that you already know, some of SG1's recurring characters are great characters who you are just dieing to know more about, but because everyone already knows them and likes them it would not be necessary to go overboard and give the new characters everthing, and take away the old.

Everything that i didn't want happening has happend which is the reason why the show isn't as good. New characters would have fit more in a new show that didn't involve SG1 (example, Atlantis, new show, new villians, i love pretty much all of them, alread know Dr Weir, already love Mckay and want to know more about him, loved him on SG1 and was in heaven when he was put in the new show, which he wasn't originally, i was looking forward to atlantis when i heard about it but my interest skyrocketed when i heard he came on board - a reccurring character who i love and can never see enough now a main character on a show. It definately worked for Mckay and Atlantis, he is probably the most popular in SGA. I would have worked for SG1 to, which is a real shame.

I still the SG1 is a great show, but its not an excellent show anymore because for these changes and different focus of characters. The Ori would have worked better (though they will never be as good as the goa'uld) because of SG1 themselves, you want to know what happens to these people, that is reason enough to hate the Ori. I also don't particularly love the trend of Stargate SG1 getting darker, it works and is powerful when it was used (eg, Abyss) but i dont want the show to go dark and depressing (eg, BSG) it's not SG1. Darkness works for atlantis, Darkness doesn't really work for sg1, because its a total change of the show that NEVER needed changing (we were still watching and dieing to see the next episode weren't we.

Glad to see you here every so often! Great post!

I too used to be excited waiting for the next episode. Now, not so much. So much opportunity for the original three wasted. I'm just watching now for a few good moments for Sam and the interactions with her team.

Comment

I disagree because...

Thanks for posting the filming schedule. I wondered how they did it, and how much time there was between filming and airing. I guess that explains why season 9 seemed to (IMO) get a little better at the very end. They were beginning to get responses from fans just before taping ended. (Need more Sam episodes in 2nd half of season 10 please!)

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Further, according to Joe Mallozzi...it'd just be about scheduling.

Aware that there is speculation among some fans that MGM might be doing this in an attempt to ‘retool’ the second half of the seasons or to make writing staff changes, Mallozzi quickly puts those thoughts to rest. “If this six month lay-off thing does turn out to be true, this wouldn't be an MGM decision about production issues. It would be strictly a network decision about scheduling issues.”

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=mrreedwriter
                    Interestingly enough, Mallozzi also comments on Devlin's movie deal in this article. He doesn't see it happening. Yeah, a Stargate movie without Sam and Teal'c is a bad idea!
                    There is also some speculation about the ratings drop if anyone is interested.
                    Thanks for the link Uber!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                      Interestingly enough, Mallozzi also comments on Devlin's movie deal in this article. He doesn't see it happening. Yeah, a Stargate movie without Sam and Teal'c is a bad idea!
                      There is also some speculation about the ratings drop if anyone is interested.
                      Thanks for the link Uber!

I can't bewlieve I agree with him on anything relating to Stargate. <g> I'd better take the rest (if I want to bother) to Whinge Nuts or Anti S10.

Suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                        I can't bewlieve I agree with him on anything relating to Stargate. <g> I'd better take the rest (if I want to bother) to Whinge Nuts or Anti S10.

Suse
                        I thought this thread was too quiet. Is everyone at Whingenuts?

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                          *pouts in SPAZ's general direction

I passed 800 a while back and I only got green from chelle db (thanks again chell! ). I see who loves me now!

Unless I missed it, that is.
                          *pounces Sunny*

Oops! Sowwy!

Congrats on your latest milestone, Sunny!

*scoffs*

Sheesh... And you call me an attention hog.

Comment

I disagree because...

This is a really good point. Plus there's the issue of having a "season finale" (I use that lightly, since their season will fall within a massive 11-month period) air a month before the next "season's" premiere is supposed to air in July.

Like you said, Forever, unless they plan on totally changing the Stargates' filming and airing schedule, should there be an 11th season, this is going to be very bizarre. Plus, the later they go into the summer, the more likely they'll fall into place alongside the tougher competition from ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox scheduling in the fall. And if BSG doesn't thrive in that lion's den this fall, I don't know how they could possibly expect either Stargate series to do well.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT

The rest of the post is in spoilers to save space
                              Spoiler:

Great post!!!

Comment

Good morning to you all !
                                Originally posted by minigeek
                                And that's the whole point of this thread, Lin. Cheers for jumpin' in! No matter what else we may all agree or disagree on, we're ALL fans of the Sam Carter character here, and we've all enjoyed her presence on SG-1 as a series. Which, put into rather strict perspective, is really what this thread is all about!
                                That's what is important, in my opinion ! (is that IMO ?)
                                Originally posted by minigeek
                                A lot of us (myself included) have been discussing some of the issues we don't particularly enjoy vis-a-vis Sam Carter throughout season nine and upcoming into ten. But there haven't been many voices (possibly due to feeling a bit intimidated!) speaking up about what some folks are really enjoying to that end. So, how about you tell us a bit about some of the things you've enjoyed regarding Sam and seasons 9/10 ... share a bit of what makes you (and others) continue to be happy with the direction of her character and the stories she's been a part of. I (for one) would love to hear some of the positive things you've thought were great (about Carter specifically) in the last two seasons. Because like a lot of other folks here, I've become a bit disillusioned of late. I admit to that. It's been tough to keep my chin up. I need to hear some specific positive opinions so that I can inject them into my mind-set, I think!!
                                Well, about Carter specifically, it's a bit hard to say... You know, I'm not English native, and I still have problems writing down my ideas... I try thinking in English, but I lack some words...

In fact, when I heard there wouldn't be RDA any more on the show, two years ago (after season 8 aired in France, so it's not yet two years, but will be next month), I was really disappointed (for the ship, for SG1...) and as I didn't really season 8, I thought it would be a good idea to renew the show ! (Please don't ask me yet what I didn't really enjoy in season 8, I haven't figured it yet... think I have to watch it again !)

Then, I began looking on the internet to find what would be next, got myself spoiled a lot. I didn't know Ben Browder nor Claudia Black at that time, because Farscape never aired elsewhere than cable/satellite in France. I knew Carter would not be back for a while, so I decided to watch the show as a (not completely, but almost) new one. And I really enjoyed it. That coming back of Sam
                                Spoiler:
                                during Beachhead
                                was the icing on the cake !

Then, I easily accepted the way Mitchell was introduced in charge of SG1, and the way he often seems not to command other people. I think he is funny, and I like him as much as Vala.

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                Ah, little did they know... Too many of us just weren't as bored with the old formula as they were.
                                I wasn't really bored with it, but could accept the changes, and that's the reason why I now am happy the way things have changed.

It may also be because I am usually optimistic, having faced not very happy things helped me seeing the world with a new eye.

I agree with most of you saying Sam's character could be much more developped than it is, also to the fact that she could be in charge, but I enjoy the way it is now. I feel season 8 as a transition, season 9 as the introduction of new characters and new story arcs (can it be said ? ). Season 10 has just begun, and I really like what I've seen so far !

Hope I haven't been to long...

(Private question, sorry... Minigeek, you're a teacher too ? )

L, going to repair the mower...

Comment

Working...
                                X