Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Well, you have to keep telling a story. No matter how that gets sliced up, that's the crux of it. And a good story has a beginning, a middle and an end (how's that for fomulaic? ;p ) The point is, if each story is an arc, and each story is to utlize the same characters, then it has to have something new to offer by way of dramatic conflict (included in that are villains, obstacles, personal character-growth, etc). Most TV series' don't last a decade because most TV series' are based on the premise of a single story, and once that arc runs its course, the writers are usually out of ideas; they tend (generally speaking) to not have much future vision beyond that arc.

Unless a story is plotted out as a trilogy or quadrilogy (etc) in ADVANCE during the arc planning stages, adding onto it with both relevance and integrity (where both the originating characters and any new components are concerned) can be a creative calisthenic that most writers are simply not gifted enough to tackle. It's hard. And I think we're seeing something of a generalized status-quo here where SG-1 is concerned in that our writing pool is in just as dire a need of a "new blood" infusion as they felt the cast and the story was. NEW ideas are necssary, to drive NEW adventures involving ANY characters ... ESPECIALLY adventures which are meant to integrate established character voices with those who are new to the dramatic arc.

The writing team had the right idea in wanting a spin-off, but the wrong idea in thinking they could handle it alone without new blood in THEIR OWN ranks. They didn't need a Col. Mitchell and a Vala Maldoran they needed a Sarah Smith (writing team addition) and potentially even a Jane Doe (second writing team addition). The producer's own arrogance is what is driving SG-1 into the ground right now. That (as Sky has pointed out already) they "know all" and have enough combined talent to tackle any creative mountain alone.

Any artist worth his or her salt will tell you that collaboration is key for stories of this monumental design and drawing from new creative sources is just as key. Especially after a decade. Let the old guard run the show and bring in new creativity. New storytellers to challenge the status-quo. God knows the "old" characters don't stop growing simply because they've told one story. But they have stopped growing, because the current writing team grew them and the current writing team "finished" with them. A new writing team infusion would NECESSARILY grow those characters further because to those new creative minds, those "old" characters are just as "new" as the ones that showed up in season nine. THAT would make for new challenges; better drama, further conflict, character arcs and story narratives that might truly have the potential to be exciting and different.

THAT, to my mind, is the problem right now with SG-1. It's not the characters. It's the people telling the story. And there's nothing they can do to fix it. They need to expand their repertoire and accept a bit of humble pie - take on some new creative blood. Whether their egos like it or not.

geek (I'm sorry, I taught two classes yesterday and I think I'm still in preacher teacher mode!)

Yepyepyepyepyep.

I can't green you again yet. But 1000X yes! ARHH!

::suse walks off mumbling rude things about shortsightesness::
    ::suse comes back::

At the same time they kept thinking SG-1 was going to end. Perhaps they thought they could wrap it good enough. Well, that explains S8. But there is no excuse for the same thing in S9. Os -so far- for S10. I'm sure they had an inkling their "new" show - Stargate Command - might be picked up with the infusion of the "shiny new" characters.

Suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Ah, does this mean you're not going to kidnap hogtie hold at gunpoint ask 100 of your friends to watch the show live???
      Funny! Start your friends with an earlier season first. Season 9 is the wrong place to start if you want to make a fan out of anyone other than a Farscape fan (no disrespect intended as I am a Farscape fan too). I'd say start with CotG and/or Emancipation, move on to Solitudes, go with some of the Jolinar stuff, check out the blown up sun, a few more good team eps, then once hooked it is safe to show the new stuff. Of course, that formula is for making the new fan a Sam fan, but would we want to do anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
        Funny! Start your friends with an earlier season first. Season 9 is the wrong place to start if you want to make a fan out of anyone other than a Farscape fan (no disrespect intended as I am a Farscape fan too). I'd say start with CotG and/or Emancipation, move on to Solitudes, go with some of the Jolinar stuff, check out the blown up sun, a few more good team eps, then once hooked it is safe to show the new stuff. Of course, that formula is for making the new fan a Sam fan, but would we want to do anything else?
        I do get people to watch the earlier seasons. But I don't even try to get them to watch something I think is dreck. Why would I recommend something I don't like? My thought is Stargate is going to end sometime. I'd rather is go out on a high note rather than dribble away but I can't control what advise/orders theTPTB listen to. So... Not My Problem.

Sorry Amanda.

Suse
        moved to tears by that last declaration
        guess there is still some feeling for SG-1 there
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse
          I do get people to watch the earlier seasons. But I don't even try to get them to watch something I think is dreck. Why would I recommend something I don't like? My thought is Stargate is going to end sometime. I'd rather is go out on a high note rather than dribble away but I can't control what advise/orders theTPTB listen to. So... Not My Problem.

Sorry Amanda.

Suse
          moved to tears by that last declaration
          guess there is still some feeling for SG-1 there

((((((Suse)))))) now go to your happy place....
          I know, I just watched The Enemy Within remember how great that episode was, and Sam and Kawalski in the elevator scene

There now, hope that makes you feel better

Just try to ignore Sal singing Memories in the background
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I'm not sure if it's allowable to talk season 9 without spoiler tags yet, even though it has well and truly finished airing in most countries?

Spoiler:
            What I feel from the first couple of episodes of season 9 is that they are trying to integrate the new characters and style into the series too quickly. I guess I'm just finding it a bit jarring, it's all very sudden. I was hoping for a slower move from old to new, gradual. Still, the fact that AT couldn't be a part of the first few episodes and that RDA wasn't going to be part of it any more probably didn't give them a lot of leeway I suppose.
            Just wondering if anyone else felt that the start of this season was a bit... rushed?

Eep, I reached 800 posts and didn't even realise it until chelle db repped me.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky
              Thanks. I already cringed when Tracey Jane caught me out for not reading the spoilers (incidentally, I added spoiler tags to my quote of your post because TJ originally had that new hidden).

Still, if this is the case, I wouldn't want Sam to be a part of the movie sequels.

And if there are to be new spinoffs from the TV series, then I wouldn't want Sam in them either. Would they be anything more than low rent "SG-1"? I realize that people in the creative professions appreciate a long term paying gig, but they also want to be proud of their work. Time for both the actress and the character to move on. Don't drag it out any longer.

Bucky

EDIT: looks like your post is being quoted anyway! LOL
              Sorry, I guess I just didn't see a reason to put my note into spoiler tags as nothing I said really referred to SG-1 and I'm sure by the time any Stargate movie, written by Devlin, aired most people would have known the changes I mentioned because I assumed they would use that information as part of their promotional trailers. But I apologize if you or anyone else was bothered by my lack of spoiler tags.

As for Amanda/Sam being in Stargate's next spin-off... honestly if they are going to do a spin-off, I seriously hope they don't take two or three of the original Stargate cast members and toss them onto a spin-off because it would be silly in my opinion. If they want to take one of them to bring in fans of SG-1 then that's cool, but I really think the remainder of the cast needs to be new characters and it needs to be written in a way where the character who does move over to the spin-off is allowed to grow and evolve. I'd hate to see them stuck in the same role they had on SG-1. Would I like Amanda to be in the spin-off series? Only if they came up with a unique storyline and they stayed completely away from SG-1. I'd also like for the spin-off to have a different set of writers, because in my opinion the writers on SG-1 and Atlantis are extremely overworked and it's really starting to show. It's really time for fresh blood and ideas. Personally I would be just as happy to see Amanda branch away from SG-1 with a new series, movie and/or play. Hell, I'd be happy for her if she finally got a chance to work behind the scenes as a director. I think she has amazing talent and I think it's time for her to be able to evolve a little more and as long as she's involved with SG-1 I don't really see that happening. I'd love to see her get a part in a movie or television show that's so removed from Sci-fi and the character of Sam that she really gets to stretch her acting muscles and hopefully break her out of that Sci-FI mold. Thankfully, I know Amanda's a very intelligent woman and she's quite aware that it's hard work going from audition to audition for new jobs. She seems to realize that she and her other cast members have been very lucky to have steady 'gigs' for the past decade and as a new mom she may have other priorities in her life now. I'm sure she will do whatever is necessary to keep herself and her family happy and hopefully we[her fans] will get the opportunity to see her shine in a brand new role in the not-to-distant future.

Kat
              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 25 July 2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                ((((((Suse)))))) now go to your happy place....
                I know, I just watched The Enemy Within remember how great that episode was, and Sam and Kawalski in the elevator scene

There now, hope that makes you feel better

Just try to ignore Sal singing Memories in the background
                *that's* what i was doing?...

wondered why birds and other small animals were dying

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  *that's* what i was doing?...

wondered why birds and other small animals were dying

sally
                  LOL! Thanks for the laugh. Too much angst today, I tihnk.

I'd have done all that to the animals and shattered glass.

Suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Congrats on 800 posts, deeeeepspace!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      uh, no.

i'm not too proud of the show anymore, so i'm not going to try to 'convert' anyone anytime soon.
                      Me too. I say here's 1-8, it's really good...nine and ten-it's an acquired taste. Some like it, some don't. Watch if you dare.

Comment

Well, I just noticed that I've been a member of GW for 2 years as of this month. I joined because of the great posts on this thread. Thanks to all of you for making this a great place to hang out.
                        jckfan55

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          Well, I just noticed that I've been a member of GW for 2 years as of this month. I joined because of the great posts on this thread. Thanks to all of you for making this a great place to hang out.
                          jckfan55
                          HappyAnniverssary
                          jckfann
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            Congrats on 800 posts, deeeeepspace!!
                            *pouts in SPAZ's general direction

I passed 800 a while back and I only got green from chelle db (thanks again chell! ). I see who loves me now!

Unless I missed it, that is.
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

writing pool is in just as dire a need of a "new blood" infusion as they felt the cast and the story was. NEW ideas are necssary, to drive NEW adventures involving ANY characters ... ESPECIALLY adventures which are meant to integrate established character voices with those who are new to the dramatic arc.
                              Exactly!

new blood in THEIR OWN ranks. They didn't need a Col. Mitchell and a Vala Maldoran they needed a Sarah Smith (writing team addition) and potentially even a Jane Doe (second writing team addition). The producer's own arrogance is what is driving SG-1 into the ground right now. That (as Sky has pointed out already) they "know all" and have enough combined talent to tackle any creative mountain alone.

Any artist worth his or her salt will tell you that collaboration is key for stories of this monumental design and drawing from new creative sources is just as key. Especially after a decade. Let the old guard run the show and bring in new creativity. New storytellers to challenge the status-quo. God knows the "old" characters don't stop growing simply because they've told one story. But they have stopped growing, because the current writing team grew them and the current writing team "finished" with them. A new writing team infusion would NECESSARILY grow those characters further because to those new creative minds, those "old" characters are just as "new" as the ones that showed up in season nine. THAT would make for new challenges; better drama, further conflict, character arcs and story narratives that might truly have the potential to be exciting and different.

THAT, to my mind, is the problem right now with SG-1. It's not the characters. It's the people telling the story.
                              Wonderfully stated, mg!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                                *pouts in SPAZ's general direction

I passed 800 a while back and I only got green from chellyb (thanks again chell! ). I see who loves me now!

Unless I missed it, that is.
                                Yea, um...I'm sure you missed it I know its around here somewhere...
                                *looks under computer, looks under desk, finds something in cat's mouth...fights cat*

Ow!!!! Oh here it is

Congrats on 800 Posts Sunny
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X