Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    The only way I would be disappointed is if MGM chose not to release a SG-1 movie as well, but seeing as I trust TPTB as far as I can throw them, there is always that possibility.
    Yes, a sequel to the original movie could create a 'glut' for the big screen market in terms of Stargate. Are there enough viewers out there who want to see a sequel to the original movie AND are there enough viewers out there who want to see movies come out of the TV series. For those movie goers who've never watched either, would they be attracted, or enticed, to view both movies - or would they just get confused at the differences?
    It's just like Scif-Fi throwing another monkey wrench into things by adding a 6-month hiatus between the 10 and 11th episodes this season. Instead of the second half of the season ending in March it may not be starting until March. I mean are these guys trying to give the show the shot in the arm that it needs or are they simply just adding the last nail to its coffin because in my opinion it's the latter.
    My first gut reaction to the long extension of the winter hiatus was that 1) they are thinking of pulling the plug on the series -and there may not even be a second half if the ratings for the first half don't pick up, or 2) they have decided that they need extra time to figure out how to advertise and 'sell' the New SG-1 to the masses (viewers), and/or 3) they want extra time to figure out how to 're-tool' SG-1 even more - in an attempt to try and boost the ratings. I would expect that their re-tooling would take the show even further away from what we saw in the original first 8 seasons. They may offer AT directing work behind the camera or some such, don't know what they'd do with Teal'c... but there'd probably be more of a focus on Vala and Mitchell.

Personally I think if we get a few mini-series out of this whole deal we'll be lucky. Sadly, I seriously doubt Sam will have a big part in future adventures because the writers don't really seem interested in writing about the science any longer.
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 July 2006, 06:46 PM.

Comment

6 Month hiatus might be a blessing, since it will give them more time to polish up the episodes. S9 suffered from sloppy presentation at times, and it's probably not helping things when they need to do 40 episodes per yer with an almost completely new direction on one of the shows. So a 6 month break where they can tweak teh shows better might be just what they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        6 Month hiatus might be a blessing, since it will give them more time to polish up the episodes. S9 suffered from sloppy presentation at times, and it's probably not helping things when they need to do 40 episodes per yer with an almost completely new direction on one of the shows. So a 6 month break where they can tweak teh shows better might be just what they need.
        yup, i said something very similar to this in one of the threads about it in the general discussion section.

this could really work for them if they want it to, they could use the feedback from the first half of the season as a sort of focus group and make the second half more appealing to fans.

hopefully they'll pay attention to what they hear instead of passing it off as unreasonable critisism. and following that train of thought i bring to you a message for TPTB;
        *ahem*

MORE SAM CARTER!!!! (and teal'c too, more teal'c)

Comment

More Sam/Vala!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            here's my question - the GW story makes mention of the key demographic "female" having increased for the paltry 1.6 they got for the second ep.

HUH??!!!! Since when are they targeting females?
            Yeah, bink, that was my exact reaction, too. If they were trying to keep their female viewers, they really shouldn't have taken the direction they did in season 9.

I have to wonder, though, if they didn't increase their numbers for Morpheus based on their promos that actually featured Sam. I was looking forward to it because the spoilers for the ep actually had Sam in them. Perhaps I wasn't alone. Makes you wonder, anyway, doesn't it? The power of Sam...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              More Sam/Vala!
              that too, but not in the way you mean it!

Comment

i don't see how they can have time to polish since - unless the s11 premiere - if there is one - is also pushed back, they're still on the same schedule. they'll finish taping oct/nov, put it all in the can

it might make things a bit easier on the sfx guys, but over all, IF there is a s11, they'll be working on that and won't waste time on s10

i have to wonder. we dont' get bsg until october. delaying sg1 until march should give them time to show ALL of bsg without sg1 interferring.

maybe they're mucking with the shows to try and get close to 50 weeks of new shows, no matter which series it is
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  it might make things a bit easier on the sfx guys, but over all, IF there is a s11, they'll be working on that and won't waste time on s10
                  well considering the rather large screw-ups in VFX lately...

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    Thanks for all the infor tsaxlady
                    I wonder if they realize that fans may use TiVO to ff not just the commercials but the parts of the show they don't like.

Oh well doesn't apply to me anyway, we don't have TiVO in Canada
                    I don't have TiVO. Probably can't afford it anyway. But still, even when I watch it live, I don't pay much attention to the commercials. I never buy anything I see advertised anyway...except that Jr. Banana Split from Sonic. Mmmmm.....

Comment

i don't see how they can have time to polish since - unless the s11 premiere - if there is one - is also pushed back, they're still on the same schedule. they'll finish taping oct/nov, put it all in the can

i have to wonder. we dont' get bsg until october. delaying sg1 until march should give them time to show ALL of bsg without sg1 interferring.

maybe they're mucking with the shows to try and get close to 50 weeks of new shows, no matter which series it is
                      yup, but it might help them out in the edit, or if they are still filming they can add one or two little bits in. in the edit they can decide which scenes to cut and which to keep.

for example, instead of cutting out a character development scene between two characters who don't know each other that well yet, they could cut out one of several scenes that convey exactly the same point. for example. just something i made up and pulled out of my brain there.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

AT: Wow--over 12,000 ahead of the next competitor. Those Samandans know how to make a girl's day!
                        Woohoo! (((Amanda))) *runs off to vote*

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                          And if SG1 ends with S10, the only reason I'll be sad is because TPTB managed to ruin a perfectly fantastic show and AT will be out of job. But the upside is, that I don't think it will be long before we'll see her in something else.
                          You aren't the only one feeling this way.
                          Originally posted by Coley
                          I still vote for a spin off with Sam leading SG1 getting stranded in some far flung galaxy and spending the next couple of seasons trying to get back. I think they would have to have extra characters with SG1 for a series like this. Perhaps a doctor and another soldier. So it would be a tightly focused team of 6.
                          Love this idea, Coley!
                          Originally posted by Dani76
                          I am not sure whether this was already posted here, but if you want to show your opinion about these proposed movies outside of GW, go to http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/. They have a poll up right now about this very issue and one of the choices to the question whether you like this idea is "No! No Col. Carter? No Teal'c?"
                          Wow... 34% want Kurt Russell back as Jack O'Neill! Of course, maybe those 34% are fans of the original movie who weren't fans of the series.
                          Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Hey all...a bit OT but I wanted to ask if you'd be willing to voice your thoughts on a thread I started called : RDA and the Third Stargate Incarnation:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ewpost&t=31612

Basically, the suggestion I'm making is that I'd love to see RDA showrun the new spinoff because Gekko added a certain magic that I love and miss.

So if you agree with my assertion...or not (and I'm mostly hearing from those who don't right now), please feel free to respond.

Oooober, How about if you run a poll of some sorts about this here? You can create a Poll thread in the Fun and Games Forum.
                          Originally posted by SunKrux
                          I voted, "No! No Col. Carter? No Teal'C?". I'd see it with Russell as O'Neill/O'Neil but I'd like to see them add Sam and Teal'C. But that's cause they're my fav characters on the series.

Besides, wouldn't it be frellin' awesome to see Amanda LARGE and IN CHARGE on a BIG SCREEN?!
                          I too voted, No. No Col. Carter? No Teal'c?

From how the launching of Atlantis was explained, Carter can't be in something like the original movie sequel because her character belongs to the TV franchise and not the original movie 'franchise'.

So, the only way to get Carter on the big screen is if the TV franchise gets to do a movie with SG-1.

At least, that's how I understand it. I really don't see why they original Stargate movie PTB couldn't make a deal with the TV Stargate PTB to have Carter and Teal'c on the original movie's sequel. But that's me. I don't have to share profits or write contracts.

Comment

Yep that is what Mark told me on Friday - they are going for year round new programing

20 weeks of Stargate
                            20 weeks of BSG

No new shows during major US holidays and you have new programing on Fridays year round.

As for a S11 I would guess the decision will be made about renewal based on ratings in the first half of S10.
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                              I don't have TiVO. Probably can't afford it anyway. But still, even when I watch it live, I don't pay much attention to the commercials. I never buy anything I see advertised anyway...except that Jr. Banana Split from Sonic. Mmmmm.....
                              i usually leave the room for the commercials. and when i do watch them, i don't usually feel the urge to run out and buy whatever is being advertised until its after the shops are closed. and i've forgotten about it by morning. i'm awkward like that.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                yup, i said something very similar to this in one of the threads about it in the general discussion section.

this could really work for them if they want it to, they could use the feedback from the first half of the season as a sort of focus group and make the second half more appealing to fans.

hopefully they'll pay attention to what they hear instead of passing it off as unreasonable critisism. and following that train of thought i bring to you a message for TPTB;
                                *ahem*

MORE SAM CARTER!!!! (and teal'c too, more teal'c)

I agree with you and AD. I could work for them. But like Sky said, they'd still be on the same schedule if a season 11 starts when it does. If there ISN'T a season 11, they could possibly polish. I really don't know about this. Time will tell. All I know is that regardless of the ratings, they better at least give us a decent ending to the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X