Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    I'm afraid if the show tanks TPTB will get the embarasment from failiure that they should feel from being so arrogant to Chris, Michael and Amanda. Shameful treatment all to get kudos from a newbie show and THEIR continued paychecks

you know, they did the same thing with RDA. They supported him while he was there, but as soon as he was gone it was 'oh we're glad the whole frump has left us' and 'we're having so much fun without him'

I know full well that rda's schedule was a PITA, but - in the end - the compromise they made with his schedule is why they're all employed today. Is why there was a season 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 and 3 seasons of atlantis and the much vauted 'third incarnation' being bandied about.

they simply do not apprecaite their people.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      And while after season 3 or 4 I was never really that impressed with character interaction and the almost total lack of continuity when it came to repercussions, I have to say that it's gotten far worse, lately. The team gets "tortured" (Off the Grid) and instants after they are beamed up out of "danger" they haven't got a scratch or a bruise on 'em. Same with Mitchel in the season opener:
      Spoiler:
      He wakes up in his flier with a nasty gash on his forehead, but as soon as he gets onto the ship his boo-boo is all gone.
      If they don't even care about these blatant things, how much less do they care about portraying how the characters are changed by their experiences over several episodes?
      I didn't see quite the same thing in the season opener.
      Spoiler:
      Cam did have a small bruise on his head, but certainly didn't seem to show any signs of concussion.

Comment

They have got to make the big 3 look mediocre, so the newbies can shine.
        It is sad as the big 3 who have helped make the series such a sucess should have gone out on top with the full and deserved focus on them.
        Originally posted by Skydiver
        you know, they did the same thing with RDA. They supported him while he was there, but as soon as he was gone it was 'oh we're glad the whole frump has left us' and 'we're having so much fun without him'

I know full well that rda's schedule was a PITA, but - in the end - the compromise they made with his schedule is why they're all employed today. Is why there was a season 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 and 3 seasons of atlantis and the much vauted 'third incarnation' being bandied about.

they simply do not apprecaite their people.
        And that's all another thing I just do not 'get'...
        My personal opinion (which could definitely be wrong)
        Spoiler:
        From everything I've read in posted interviews, articles, etc... It oddly seems like they actually do not want RDA to come back. Especially not as Jack O'Neill, hero of SG-1. They've moved on, they have another hero... and apparently, they can't see fit to put Jack back much with SG-1. It's pretty telling that they are using 3 of RDA's 5 episodes for Atlantis... and then one of the two with SG-1 is the 200th episode which is a farce. That leaves only one true episode for RDA to be in something 'serious' on SG-1... and when I say 'serious' what I mean is something that will further develop his character and his relationships with Daniel, Teal'c and Carter. From the spoilers I've read and seen... is RDA going to be in the two-part episode called 'The Quest'?

At any rate, just as I find it appalling with what they've done to Carter's character over the past couple of seasons, I am also stunned at the way that they are handling RDA's 'return for 5 episodes.' As Sky and Coley have said... TPTB don't seem to know how to handle the original characters anymore.

But like I said, these are only my opinions, which are based on the spoilers and interviews and such that I've read and seen. Perhaps I've gotten the wrong impression. Perhaps RDA and AT and MS and CJ feel great about how things have worked out, perhaps they feel that they've been more than respected and treated fairly. I'm not on the set, or in their offices....

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Somewhere Over the Rainbow … A Reprise

Somewhere over the rainbow
          There was a show
          Filled with a cast that I cared for
          Where, just oh where did it go?
          Plenty of bad guys and action
          Glowing eyes
          False gods … bug-like marauders
          Each week held a new surprise
          There was a leader quite intense
          An alien who was immense
          Beside him
          A blonde-haired gal so brave and true
          A blue-eyed archaeologist too
          They were the best crew
          Somewhere beyond the Stargate
          Battles raged
          Jack, T, Samantha and Daniel
          The enemy did engage
          The writers gave us such good stuff
          Lots of weight and little fluff
          Why oh why not now?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/ValaHair.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...hyPigtails.jpg
          Well done chopingal...tried to green you but they wouldn't let me...not fair...why do they do that?? Oh well...consider yourself greened anyway
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Really great posts everyone. I'm just so upset with TPTB right now I don't think I can write a coherent or nice post. So I'll nod and agree with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              you know when it's hard to put your finger on something... well, my finger touched but ONE issue that i'm having with this show now.

it's not only that there's too many characters on this show now, it's that the newbies are the only ones being highlighted anymore (with daniel getting more from the original 3). take tonight's ep. i don't need spoilers to say that this was basically like a vala ep, with the b-storyline actually being about the situation on the planet. and on the planet, we had four ppl to fill the plot around. if this had been the stargate of old, the b-storyline (planet situation) would have been the main plot, with a LOT more time spent on what was happening to sg1 and their 'problem'. oh, and let's not forget hiring a lead actor of beau bridges stature that 'has' to have some storytime for his character... it's getting pretty crowded in sg1 land now...

sally
              I saw it as equal A&A--but with 1 character & 4 characters--so not really equal at all.

Comment

Hiya all!!! Didja miss me?!?! DIDJA??!

Well, maybe you didn't even notice I was gone.

I wasn't actually, just busy, but anyway. I'm back for a breather before I dive in and wanted to stop by here and say :

HI !!!!

Also, leave my 0.02 cents about the first two episodes of the season. Short and sweet er... to the point, as it were.

Spoiler:

Cam I could still take or leave. I get a strong "MEH" vibe off the character and he's still done nothing to help with that. I thought Teal'c had some neat moments and enjoyed seeing him whumped a bit. Daniel I thought was better than most of last season (so far). I liked him skidding to a halt in the corridor of the SGC with his out of breath and incomprehensible revelation (and Carter teasing him for it). I think his interaction(s) with Vala still need some work. BUT, wonder of wonders... I LIKE VALA so far! Yeah, I know. Actually, I've found that the writing for her character specifically has (imho) been better than for any of the others as of yet. I like that they've kept her fully clothed and I like that she seems to make Sam smile. Because I think that speaks to neat character interaction as time goes on. I think Claudia is doing a bang-up job with what she's been given and I need to give credit where it's due, so I will. Vala so far is doing well in my books.

And Sam (ah Sam... ) Well, I dunno. She hasn't had much to DO just yet. I did like her little "oh boy" line when the Odyssey was coming straight for her, and I like the confidence she's oozing this season in attitude (if not in actual 'cool stuff' to do). She worked with the doctor on the parasite research just as she would have done with Janet in the old days, so that was cool (minus the neat chemistry and interaction Sam and Janet once had, of course - so it was a bit one sided this time). But still. She and Cam still seem to be 'trading' whose in charge so I'm guessing they'll nip that in the bud soon enough *sigh* ...... was it me, or did Amanda seem to have a head-cold during the shooting of Morpheus?

All in all, I'm not thrilled with the fact that they dropped the story ball so quickly after the premiere episode and went to some weird wish-washy "bug threat" again (seems to be the writer's MO when it comes to 'hey, how do we fill in some space... i know! Lets give everyone the plague! Again! Ok! Cool!) Nor am I hoping they continue to focus so heavily on humor that it overwhelms the science-fiction as it has been. Humor is great in small doses, but sometimes I think the show needs to remember that it *isn't* Farscape and that it might do better to use its humor in a dryer, more understated way overall. Too much of the blatant sketch-comedy routine and nothing will ever be taken seriously on StargateG-1 again (which isn't what the show is about, if you ask me).

Other than that, though, I wasn't disappointed with the season opener (because really, I didn't have very high hopes). It was a great deal better than I thought it would be. I did enjoy Vala, I think I'll continue to do so too, given I like what Claudia is doing with the character right now. I like Vala's humor, so long as they don't let it overwhelm everyone else in every scene she's in (and that will remain to be seen). Claudia a really great actress, and I didn't even know of her before SG-1 so that's not something I'm bringing with me from Farscape. She and Amanda should both (and I imagine they will) have some neat "unspoken" moments forthcoming. I look forward to those in spades.

And not much else to say. I miss the hell outta Jack's strength on that team, his humor was belied by it and that's gone now (it certainly isn't in Mitchell). So *sigh* over that. But ah well ... season ten is definitely looking better than season nine so far and that's a PLUS in my book.

Here's to giving Carter something to actually DO in the upcoming episodes. And to giving Mitchell the ability to actually COME UP WITH a plan, as opposed to staring solemnly at everyone and so eloquently stating the obvious: I just think ... we need a new plan.

(dum dum dum)

YA THINK?!?!

(wait a second... what was the OLD plan?!)

Fade to black.

geeek (busyus extremeus)
                Last edited by minigeek; 23 July 2006, 02:58 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                  My best friend from elementary school and I made a pact our first year of college to strive to be women rather than ladies. In explanation, our definition of a lady is someone who is dependent on a man vs. a woman who is dependant upon herself. Ladies do what is expected of them and are often damsels in distress. Women do what is necessary and can save the day on their own. You get the picture. We're both mothers of little girls now, and we are raising our girls to be women. She isn't a Stargate fan, and I was trying to explain why I liked a scifi show so much. During our discussion, I reminded her of the pact saying that the Sam Carter was a woman not a lady. My friend nodded in understanding and started asking more questions about Stargate. I think Sam/Amanda may have a new fan soon.
                  Great sentiment & I love that you may have brought in a new AT/Sam fan.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    You know, I always used to talk about the show. Pretty much 24X7. I was always thowing out cool quotes and loaning out my DVDs to try to "recruit" new viewers. Then last year I become unhappy with how they are killing (metaphorically and in some cases reality .... JACOB) the old great Stargate characters for these newbs who I dont know and dont want to know.... pretty much all I was getting from some of fans of the "new" show is how if I dont like it dont watch. Ok so now I dont watch.

TPTB should have respected great characters like Carter, Daniel and Teal'c and not dismissed them. TPTB should have respected fans of Carter, Daniel and Teal'c and not dismissed them. And perhaps the fans of the "new" show should not so easily have dismissed us either. Maybe if you want the ratings on your favorite show to be high you shouldnt tell other fans on the fence to STFU and stop watching..... Just a thought.

I am sure the ratings will come back up... until Friday football starts and then they will fall off like every year. Of course by then Stargate may be on Tues and Eureka will be on Friday. Who knows.

Stargate was a great show because it had Great Characters doing Great Things. Carter is the best portrayal of a woman in Scifi. I think only Susan Ivonava comes close (well and Janet Frasier), but I still thought Carter was the best. She was always one of the things I pointed out that was special about this show. There you go, a woman, fully clothed, not whining about hair or makeup or whatever writers think women should be whining about. Just one of the guys pulling her weight doing her job and doing it well. What a great character
                    Terrific post! And here's Soldier Sam "doing it well" ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...aminAction.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Hiya all!!! Didja miss me?!?! DIDJA??!

Well, maybe you didn't even notice I was gone.

I wasn't actually, just busy, but anyway. I'm back for a breather before I dive in and wanted to stop by here and say :

HI !!!!
                      Did we miss ya?

Did we notice you was gone?

Why I was readin all them there posts scratchin my head thinkin "isn't something err I mean some one missin?

I was actually wondering "gee mini hasn't put her .02 cents in

Also, leave my 0.02 cents about the first two episodes of the season. Short and sweet er... to the point, as it were.

Spoiler:

snip for space

Other than that, though, I wasn't disappointed with the season opener (because really, I didn't have very high hopes). It was a great deal better than I thought it would be. I did enjoy Vala, I think I'll continue to do so too, given I like what Claudia is doing with the character right now. I like Vala's humor, so long as they don't let it overwhelm everyone else in every scene she's in (and that will remain to be seen). Claudia a really great actress, and I didn't even know of her before SG-1 so that's not something I'm bringing with me from Farscape. She and Amanda should both (and I imagine they will) have some neat "unspoken" moments forthcoming. I look forward to those in spades.

And not much else to say. I miss the hell outta Jack's strength on that team, his humor was belied by it and that's gone now (it certainly isn't in Mitchell). So *sigh* over that. But ah well ... season ten is definitely looking better than season nine so far and that's a PLUS in my book.

Here's to giving Carter something to actually DO in the upcoming episodes. And to giving Mitchell the ability to actually COME UP WITH a plan, as opposed to staring solemnly at everyone and so eloquently stating the obvious: I just think ... we need a new plan.

(dum dum dum)

YA THINK?!?!

(wait a second... what was the OLD plan?!)

Fade to black.

geeek (busyus extremeus)
                      Mini I can't believe what I just read
                      You of all people...to be turned, to the other side
                      I mean, we were *sniff* like, like compadres, steadfast in our beliefs
                      And now I read...what you posted...well I'll just have to show you what I'm talking about....*sniff*

Spoiler:
                      I like Vala's humor, so long as they don't let it overwhelm everyone else in every scene she's in (and that will remain to be seen). Claudia a really great actress, and I didn't even know of her before SG-1 so that's not something I'm bringing with me from Farscape. She and Amanda should both (and I imagine they will) have some neat "unspoken" moments forthcoming. I look forward to those in spades.
                      Spoiler:

My goodness Mini!!!! It's HUMOUR!!!!!
                      When did they turn you into spelling it the other way
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

My fave has always been Apophis. Too bad he's brown!!
                        ROTFLMAO I'm so glad you managed to catch this Non-PC seismic tremor and quiet the quaking in a later post ... only you, RA, only you ...

We across the pond thought something quite differently than his being "dead"!

Comment

Ooooh, just thought I'd give you a Mother update.... she watched the first two episodes of season ten, and this is what she had to say...

Spoiler:

"Tell me again why that idiot is in charge?"
                          "Vala's boooooring."
                          "This baby spawn of evil storyline's been done before."
                          "Where's Sam? I want more Sam."
                          "Isn't Amanda looking fantastic?"
                          "That was anti-climatic."

Quite a turn around from the other month, huh?
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Ooooh, just thought I'd give you a Mother update.... she watched the first two episodes of season ten, and this is what she had to say...

Spoiler:

"Vala's boooooring."

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane

Spoiler:

"Vala's boooooring."

You are definitely a good influence TJ
                              Can we send to the Bridge Studios for a while
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                In season's past, I used to rush home from wherever I was at on Friday night in order to watch Stargate even though I knew I was recording it. I would often watch the second showing and then rewatch the recorded episode to see if there were things I might have missed, but after the disappointment of S9, I stopped trying to get home to watch the show. Heck, there were some episodes when I didn't even bother to turn on the television even when I was sitting in front of it because I figured it was best to hold onto what little hope I still had if even for only an hour longer. Now, I just record the shows and I may get around to watching them that evening or sometime that weekend. I know in order to survive, the show needs us to watch regularly, but seeing as my opinion as a long time fan means absolutely nothing to TPTB, then my feeling is let them try to pull in new viewers who will fill in the ratings numbers to help them get renewed next year. Obviously that is the fanbase they want, so why should I bother helping.
                                I agree completely - they pooh-pooh the fans opinions -- legitimate, articulate, smart opinions that criticize the show but to TPKTS those fans are just naysayers that cannot accept change or the lack of RDA - well they are getting their comeuppance now and they dammm well better pay attention to all fans opinions especially those that seem to have their finger on the pulse of the show since it is obvious that TPKTS do NOT.

My pattern for watching this show is similar to Forever's - I used to watch religiously then in mid season 7 started skipping watching it "live" and just recorded it. S9 I skipped whole eps altogether and did not bother even recording them then decided if TPKTS are not going to respect me as a fan or my opinions, or the opinions of those who feel similar and express those opinions, and pretend like we do not matter then I would not allow my TV to be tuned to skiffy on Friday nights at all so a friend has been taping the show for me since S9 this way I don't count at all as TPKTS like to pretend and I just have to sit for 20-30 minutes (instead of wasting an hour) and I can FF through the parts I cannot stomach (mostly mitchell and vala plus the boring stuff - sometimes I can get through the show in 15 minutes and not feel like I missed anything at all. It often now reminds me of a soap opera - you can watch one episode every few months and still get what is going on). I very, very rarely watch skiffy at all except for SG-1 and now it's taped for me -- skiffy is a lame channel all the way around, IMO, and there is basically nothing else they offer that I would waste my time watching. I did watch the Staragte special live as AT was the host - I am very interested in the ratings for that special versus the premiere ratings -- what a slap if that special got better ratings than Stargate SG-1.

TPKTS (and those that constantly state "if you don't like it stop watching") better be careful what they wish for because they will be out of jobs and the others will be out of a show - I count (and TPKTS have no idea how many DO count) and they better dammm well realize that.
                                Last edited by binkpmmc; 23 July 2006, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X