Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani76
    I also thought it was quite lovely how Carmen and Corin talked about Amanda. It turned out that Amanda is Corin's favorite "prop" on set that he would have liked to take home with him. And, to see Carmen and Amanda together on Sunday, that was just a wonderful treat.
    That's got to be one of my favorite lines!
    Great report, Dani! Thanks for posting it

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Ah guess I'm the only one who actually enjoys the occassional torture scene, because I thoroughly enjoyed Jack in the Abyss, Sam in New Order and Teal'c in Serpent's Venom. I actually really enjoyed the Xena episodes where she got the snot beat out of her and she'd just glare and stand up for more. Don't get me wrong. I'm not really one for watching violence. I don't like gore and blood just for the hell of it, but episodes like the above really get the heart pumping for me. They keep me sitting on the edge of my seat, riveted to the television screen. Perhaps because I wish I had that kind of inner strength and will power. I know it sounds twisted, but it really gets the adrenaline flowing to see my favorite characters taken to their breaking points and hold strong. Lucy and Chris are especially good at these types of scenes. They both have a wonderful glare...that frightening look that screams 'If I still had the strength to stand, I'd rip your heart out and shove it down your throat.' Each time they are beaten down and stand back up I can hear the silent mantra 'You may destroy my body, but you will never destroy my will.'

Even in scenes like New Order and Abyss where we see Sam and Jack both taken so close to the edge - their bodies, minds and spirits are so weakened that see their inner walls start to crumble and deteriorate - I get this queasy feeling in the pit in my stomach and overwhelming joy in my heart to see them try to hold things together. To me it's moments like these that allow us to see even for a brief moment how truly strong these characters are, because I know if I had been in their positions I would have given up long ago and I admire that strength and spirit.

It's one of the reasons I loved the scenes with Replicarter and Daniel in Reckoning II so much. It wasn't the same sort of torturous scene, but it gave me the same adrenaline rush I get with the others. When RC and Daniel are mentally fighting, trying to gain control over the replicators and Daniel's eyes snap open and then RC's open and she gasps and stares at him and he says 'Got ya know'. I literally got this chill down my back. I knew Daniel wasn't going to be able to keep the upper hand for long, but he never gave up. He fought until the bitter end. I do feel that often the writers go overboard as is the case with Teal'c being tortured. In my opinion when the storylines are well written, the torture scenes add strength to the episode; however, in cases like Stronghold the torture scenes did nothing for me. They just felt as if they were added in just for the hell of it with no real reason. Hmm, so what will we do with Teal'c in this episode? He's been taken prisoner so that Mitchell can rescue him. Oh hey! Let's just torture him. That will be cool. Like I said, violence for the sake of showing violence I can do without.

Hmm, I'm starting to ramble now. Sorry for my little soapbox speech on the benefits of a good torture scene. LOL
      Actually, Kat, I'm right there with you on this! Whump has it's place - and it's exactly what you've explained. It shows our heroes taken beyond normal limits, and struggling to be strong enough to hold it together. And doing so.

The Xena whump mentioned earlier, however, was a bit too much for me: I can't deal with the crucifixion, beheading.. or terminal death (where the heroes don't recover somehow.. no sarc or Ascension/Descencion or such). Don't go for the gore either.

Other than that... whump away! Really! Especially Sam... I like seeing her in those positions that are usually only reserved for the male leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        Some thoughts on the season 10 opener (and how I woulda dunit....)

Pretty good, The dilemma posed is intelligent and therefore engaging, but I found myself more caught up in Atlantis' story than SG-1's.

Why?

Believable actions/reactions on the part of the Atlantis cast. SG-1 - not so much.

Spoiler:
        Cam taking over from Emmerson and then from the pilot, his lamely delivered lines about fighting to his last breath or whatever. Taking what should have been a strong, meaningful scene from Teal'c. Letting Bra'tac really show some Jaffa emotion over the fact that his people were about to be slaughtered and how the fight no longer mattered to him, how he only wanted to die with his people. Teal'c, getting a chance to say more than "Indeed," talking him down from that emotional ledge.... Yeah, I woulda changed those scenes.

Cam could have simply backed Emmerson as he dealt with the bad guys, and Cam could have hovered worriedly over the pilot's shoulder and talked to Sam to help put her at ease, and then he could have clapped the pilot's shoulder and thanked him for saving his teammate. He could have actually [I[acted[/I] in those scenes rather than just chew the scenery.

And I woulda whumped Sam good<evil grin>. Despite Cam's assurances and the Asgard's deft touch, Sam would have had a rough touch down. I'd have arranged it so that there would have been less gravity and more velocity in the cargo bay and Sam would have been tossed around like a rag doll, helpless in that space suit, bouncing and skidding painfully all along the floor(And the scene would have been shot in total silence except for the sound of her landings. Can you hear it? ....whump.... whump... whump... ) and hitting the wall and rebounding off it before finally landing in a boneless heap.(obviously it would have been either a CG or a dummy Sam). This would have highlighted how difficult and dangerous a manoeuver they'd undertaken(by "they" I mean Emmerson and the pilot. Cam could have come up with the idea and that would have been okay, but to take over like he did was... not fun to watch.

Oh, well. I did like Vala and Daniel in this one. I couldn't help thinking that Daniel looked mighty fine in that armor
        I thought we'd get something like your scenario--which I like--though I wouldn't need quite so much whumping. What was it with whumping Sam last night?

Comment

Nope, I'm pretty sure we had over a hundred right after Gabit and the big blow-up.
          remembering that rollercoaster ride!

Hopefully it did Amanda some good

Though she was very upset about the resulting rumours

But is showed TPTB just how much support she and Sam have

The GABIT 4 were not impressed

We haven't been blacklisted

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            hey, i had trouble getting it at first too, but if you close the window and try clicking the link again it might work. it did for me.

Spoiler:
            its a really good interest actually, amanda looks pretty relaxed with these interviews compared with some i've seen. great talk about her thoughts on the leadership thing. i actually feel really sorry for her (more so) when i see/here about her talking about it, but i like that she's not just 'hey everythings so great and fine and i'm so more than fine with cam "leading" the team and i don't have any problems with it at all!' i like that she talks about how it was just done without her knowing or being consulted on it. that she was under the impression that nothing would change in that regard, because why would it? and i like that she does say, although in a mostly joking way "yeah, whats that about?".

it really does p*** me off that they did this too here, and i'm glad shes speaking up when asked. (and those interviewers looked quite surprised when she said that she wasn't leading the team, and a bit disappointed. to me at least, but i'm usually wrong about all things, so don't listen to me! i know you won't anyway ) but when i hear AT talk about how it was done and trying to put up a sort of brave, yeah i got screwed over but its ok, attitude about it, i just feel so sad and sorry for her.

anyway, she looked really fantastic in it too. there's a real sparkle in her eyes when she's just being her, and its adorable and makes her even more gorgeous. and damn that woman's funny!

ok, thats enough fawning for now i think.

Thanks for posting the summary.

And you can't ever fawn too much over Amanda!!

Comment

Wow, I totally disagree. I thought RDA was amazing in this episode. It wasn't really the torture scenes themselves that got me, it was the fact that Jack seemed to truly come close to a breaking point mentally. There are times in the past when it was obvious to me that RDA didn't feel comfortable doing a particular scene, but I thought MS and RDA were brilliant together in this episode. I've watched this episode a dozen times and this particular scene at least a hundred times and it just as heart-wrenching as the first.

Jack: "Daniel...you have to end this."
              Daniel: "Jack, you just have to hang in there a little while longer..."
              Jack: "No...I can't go back in there. If I go back, I swear to God, I'll give Ba'al what he wants, I'll tell him."
              Daniel: "What?"
              Jack: "That he loved her."
              Daniel: "Kanan?"
              Jack: "He came back for her. He wanted to save her."
              Daniel: "Ba'al doesn't know this..."
              Jack: "If he finds out, he'll do to her what he's doing to me. Daniel, if you don't end this...I'll tell him."
              Daniel: "You won't have to...it's almost over Jack."
              I'm with you. I thought RDA was great in that ep.As you say, it wasn't the torture so much as the aftermath when he'd be thrown back in the cell and knowing he'd be going back to Baal for another session.

On another note, trying not to spam the thread with my usual mutiple posts.
              Thanks to everyone for the convention pictures. These candid shots really show AT's natural beauty & make me more disgusted with the fake airbrushed photos we saw as promos.

Comment

So is everyone over at the celeb site voting for Amanda?
                I'm busy trying to view the intervview on youtube (the link kindly posted here last night) but seeing as I'm on dial up it has taken over an hour so far!! Something tells me I'm going to be peeved for Amanda re the L comments

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                  So is everyone over at the celeb site voting for Amanda?
                  I'm busy trying to view the intervview on youtube (the link kindly posted here last night) but seeing as I'm on dial up it has taken over an hour so far!! Something tells me I'm going to be peeved for Amanda re the L comments
                  Hey Coley, do you think you could transcribe what they say, if it's not too much trouble? Pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                    Hey Coley, do you think you could transcribe what they say, if it's not too much trouble? Pretty please?
                    About the L issue?

It is an 8 min interview, so probably couldn't do it tonight.
                    Not much new stuff except the comments about the L issue.

She obviously had no idea that she would not lead sg1. She said "actually it is Mitchell who's be leading the missions - what's all that about?! He says (in the script) SGC this is SG1 leader" Amanda then went on to say in a joking way "Hey I've been on the show for 8 years and never got the chance to say that"

The interviewers were very very surprised and said "and of course that's when you find out - in the script" and Amanda laughed and said yes - though I guess she did know a little beforehand and was just joining in the banter of the interviewers.

It seemd to me that Amanda was disapointed with the issue she also said she didn't know if she would sign on for another season - but obviously she did!!

Comment

Captions?
                      Last edited by jckfan55; 18 July 2006, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to say anymore as I'm just so peeved with the people who made this decision.

Comment

Daniel: Is that what I think it is?

Sam: Uh, Jack, how did you manage to get the Simpsons up here?

Teal'C: What are the Simpsons?
                          sigpic
                          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

Captions?
                            Sam: "What?! Cam is going to lead SG1?

Daniel: Thinks - Bring back General Hammond

Teal'c: Thinks - I'm gonna stay away from Sam for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              I'm not going to say anymore as I'm just so peeved with the people who made this decision.
                              You said quite a bit (I have yet to see the interview). Thank you.

Comment

Oh Spaz - see Stargate Barbies review in the spoiler tag in one of my posts!!

Comment

Working...
                                X