Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lizlove
    I saw there are very talented people in here. But wouldn`t it be fun to let every single one of you write one big thing together?
    So more people get involved. For the feeling...
    (((((lizlove))))) how is Australia??? having fun???
    And true if we all write togheter it would be lots of fun. Everyone would come up with great ideas and the show would be a great succes
    So if there ever would be such a show what would we like to see then??

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
      I liked
      Spoiler:
      • When she kicked Vala out the airlock. Oh, wait...
      Bad DEM. Baaaaad DEM

Spoiler:
      hey, here's something I keep forgetting to ask. don't the USAF use metric lengths rather than feet/miles? that "2000 feet off the blahblah" sounded odd to me.
      Spoiler:
      I noticed that too - it was an unwelcome didactic moment!
      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        interesting fic. but can you tell me what that ending meant???

sally
        Do you mean the last lines?
        Spoiler:
        She gave her child a caring look.
        Her child looked back at her.

With curiosity.

I think it means that the child was the beginning of the new cycle of wonder and curiosity, that s/he would learn the new truths about the universe, that s/he was, at this point, unafraid, unburdened by the knowledge that Sam had.

But I've only read it through once and I expect my view on the ending will be subject to change.

The author's blend of poetry and philosophy(of the astrophysical kind) has me blown away.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I saw there are very talented people in here. But wouldn`t it be fun to let every single one of you write one big thing together?
          So more people get involved. For the feeling...
          Um... we do do that, from time to time, but the results are invariably hilariously OTT. I can just imagine a roomful of Samandans producing a new story for a cast of six regulars and their guests and supporting cast every week....
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
            Um... we do do that, from time to time, but the results are invariably hilariously OTT. I can just imagine a roomful of Samandans producing a new story for a cast of six regulars and their guests and supporting cast every week....
            Well heh! Try to keep it serious. If everyone kept their mind by it I don`t think it would have a bad outcome. Just believe...
            And I mean every one!!! Act like professionals!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
              Hey, LOL, it may be frenetic with lots of brainstorming but I bet we Samandans would respect Sam Carter much more than what the real writers have done!

Kat, absolutely love the whole spin-off sig! Colonel and commander of the Odyssey - that would work for me!

Comment

OT but just to know why I haven't been around lately, I've been on my own odyssey (pardon the pun) ...

Thanks to Coley's own Sam-Carter spunk and decision to change her life and follow her heart, I'm doing the same!

Relocating to a new state and pitching a new tent. I found my apartment this past week and now have the next few weeks to finish loose ends at my old job and begin packing for the move in August. I'll try to stop by when I can but life has suddenly gotten very busy.

I loved all your reports and pictures from the cons. So happy for all of you that you got to share some Amanda magic in person!

I missed the deadline with my Samfic mainly because of RL and traveling to look for housing, etc. I don't want to post the story until I write the ending ... almost there but it may have to wait now until I make the move.

Keep the Samandan home fires burning!

Peace, Jester

Comment

Well heh! Try to keep it serious. If everyone kept their mind by it I don`t think it would have a bad outcome. Just believe...
                  And I mean every one!!! Act like professionals!
                  But that's no fun.

Like Gracie said, we have tried from time to time, but it invariably turns out funny rather than serious.
                  sigpic

Comment

Here's an article to go with the publicity pics from Pasadena posted earlier, telling who all was there.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...7474fb&k=89750
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                      hey, here's something I keep forgetting to ask. don't the USAF use metric lengths rather than feet/miles? that "2000 feet off the blahblah" sounded odd to me.
                      Officially the US military uses the metric system, however non-metric measurements are still adopted world-wide for air and sea transport. Distance is measured in Nautical Miles, Speed in Knots, Altitude in Feet etc. However, I believe the International Civil Aviation Organisation have set policies which state there should be a single standard set of measurements world-wide, which should be in SI units (use of feet for altitude is an allowed exception though).

Using the highly educational source of 'Lock On: Modern Air Combat' (it is a fairly hardcore flight sim game They tend to get these kind of things right ), the US aircraft (A-10A and F-15C) have non-metric units for most measurements (Fuel quantity in Pounds, Thrust in Pound Force, in addition to feet, knots, nautical miles etc) with the exception of temperature readings which are in are centigrades. Though it seems visual ranges are given in a mix of metric and non-metric readings...

I'd expect Carter to give any measurements in SI units though. Metric is the system that scientists use, and seeing as she would deal with some pretty high level mathematics it'd be metric all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        Spoiler:
                        uh, wouldnt that just put her on the list of expendable characters that will be killed for no good reason other than so earth can crank out another COOLER ship but dont have more then one or two at any one time.

look all one sentance
                        Good point! Maybe we need to think this through a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Hey, LOL, it may be frenetic with lots of brainstorming but I bet we Samandans would respect Sam Carter much more than what the real writers have done!

Kat, absolutely love the whole spin-off sig! Colonel and commander of the Odyssey - that would work for me!
                          Would some of our fanfic writers give us a few "episodes" of Sam's new series? I'd like to read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                            Would some of our fanfic writers give us a few "episodes" of Sam's new series? I'd like to read about it.
                            I'm with you on that. It could be highly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                              Well that looks great....So what do we have now for a third serie... we have the title and the looks provided by Forever.
                              all we need is some writers for it...Someone like to volunteer??? I mean we have some tallented people here so. I would say take your change with it!
                              That could be fun. There was an idea floating around about Sam being given command of an Asgard vessel a while back. It was originally called the Samantha Carter, and I was lobbying for it to be renamed the Athena, since Sam wouldn't want her ship to have the same name as she did.

Seldear wrote a beginning.

Originally posted by seldear
                              Landry regarded her with a smile playing about his lips. "The President thought you might like a chance to command the new hybrid ship being developed with the Asgard's assistance."

Sam blinked. They were going to give her command of her own ship? "Uh, sir?"

"Would you take it if it was offered?"

They were asking if she wanted command of her own spaceship? "I... Yes, sir. I'd take the chance to command the new ship."

She glanced at Cam, who didn't look at all pissed off over her possible transfer. In fact, he looked quite amused at the prospect. And it had been tricky dealing with two people at 'command level' on SG-1, even if Sam had been busy with other projects along the way.

Daniel rustled some papers about on the table with a sly grin. "The new Asgard was quite impressed with your...uh...'stupidity' when dealing with previous Asgard problems," he said, "as well as the fact that the replicator version of you nearly managed to take over the galaxy." Sam eyed him, knowing there was a punchline coming and waiting for it. "He thinks - and Thor concurs - that this ship should be called 'The Samantha Carter'."

Oh, no. "Daniel..."

"I think it's got a certain...cadence to it," said Cameron. Sam fixed him with a 'you've got to be kidding me' look. "Well, General O'Neill had one named for him, and so did Daniel."

"Then they can call it after Teal'c," she said, only too aware that her cheeks were red. "If I'm going to command it then it's not going to be named after me." Not that she was insensible to the compliment being paid her by both the Asgard and the President, but Sam was no McKay - there were definite limits to her immodesty.

That smile was still playing about Landry's mouth. "I think that, as the first captain of the ship, you can probably name it what you like - as long as it passes muster with the President and the Asgard."

"Fine," she said. "We can call it...The Athena. Or maybe The Phoenix."

"The Enterprise?" Cam suggested, looking hopeful.

What was with these men and Star Trek?

"No," Sam said firmly. "Besides," she pointed out. "I wouldn't be boldly going where no man has gone before." Although it would be a first to have a major class spacefaring vessel commanded by a woman. There'd been female astronauts, and female officers on all the Earth spaceships, starting with the Prometheus back when Colonel Ronson first commanded it.

Landry coughed. "You can discuss name possibilities later. Right now, the President just wished to let you know that the ship is yours to command if you want it." The General snorted, amused. "He said it's the ship or his firstborn son."

Daniel smirked. "You might want to take the ship, Sam."

--

You know, to heck with another spinoff; it would be so cool to write a fic series where Sam is in charge of her own ship. Like a Virtual Series, or something...

Sel.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                                That could be fun. There was an idea floating around about Sam being given command of an Asgard vessel a while back. It was originally called the Samantha Carter, and I was lobbying for it to be renamed the Athena, since Sam wouldn't want her ship to have the same name as she did.

Seldear wrote a beginning.
                                That was AWESOME! I'd love that as a spin-off.

Comment

Working...
                                X