Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parsifal
    A few more photos from Thursday's party.
    would you think less of me if i said something inappropriate about freckles?

Comment

Originally posted by kes
      I'm not sure what you mean by this.
      I'll hold any reply until you finish catching up.

Comment

It must be nice for AT to have another woman as a regular to hang about with on set. She's not had a regular female about since we lost Janet.

FF who enjoyed Flesh and Blood.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          I did love Tangent, but I can understand Cater's reaction in Flesh and Blood nonetheless.
          Spoiler:
          In F&B she was in Teal'c's position-stranded in space, with little air remaining and seeing no good way to be rescued. In fact, she was in a little bit worse of a situation than Teal'c-as a scientist, as one of the scientists who designed the Odyssey, she knew in exacting detail how many ways the manuver Mitchell was suggesting could go wrong.

I don't think it reflects badly on her imagination, intelligence, or her courage at all to be very leery of the rescue attempt. No more than "We could die!" reflected badly on Teal'c's bravery. Sam is just a lot more verbal, and more technologically oriented, than Teal'c so her "I could die!" comes out in technobabble instead of the succinct way Teal'c puts it.

Who knows, she might have been more comfortable with it if someone who actually knew how to fly the Odyssey was suggesting the manuver. (No, I am not going to let that go any time soon, it appears!)
          Exactly

I did enjoy the ep. Just wish Sam had taken "control" of the mother ship while trying to beam the bomb on board.See her trying to hack their ship kinda like Makay (sp) does so often. Does anyone feel like he does a lot more then Sam does these days?!He even gets a few ancient words! Why doesnt Daniel teach her!?

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
            Yes, and I can appreciate your reasoning; however, in terms of TEAMiness and MULTIPLE strong protagonists,
            Spoiler:
            the scene would have been much better like so:

CARTER: Uh, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it's gonna be tricky.
            MITCHELL: Hang on, Sam, we're coming to get you.
            CARTER: (nervous) Oh boy. (sobers) Okay, listen. Col Emerson, the sublight engines don't have much control. If you hit me, even at minimum velocity --
            MITCHELL: I am not going to hit you. (quietly) Not on purpose.
            CARTER: Once you get me in past the shield, the artificial gravity will kick in. You're going to have to employ reverse thrusters and such-and-so to maintain a stable positioning.
            MITCHELL: Understood, Sam; Kvasir's riding the controls manually.

Do you feel the difference there?

You see, even in Tangent, Teal'c ultimately had to do something to rescue himself. He wasn't a passive victim. Likewise, in all those other Carter's Crazy Idea episodes, Carter herself was also one of the people who was Going To Die! yet, in keeping with her character, she figured out what needed to be done despite her acknowledgement of and/or worry about the risks.
            Your way would have been much better, but let's not forget
            Spoiler:
            After Sam was rescued, she managed to get the beaming technology back on line and save Teal'c. The asgaurd hadn't managed to fix the problem. He needed Sam's help. (Classic Sam) Also, Sam didn't give up on Daniel, but informed Colonol What's-his-name? that he didn't know Daniel like they did. (Classic Sam) I wish her rescue scene had been written better, but....
            this episode was much better than anything we got last year. Let's hold on to that a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
              Well see that is the problem I am having with TPTB, they just also see her as a character, and off course she is but I mean if they made her like she was a real person with the background and with her feeling her experience and everything a person has. I mean for me Sam is more than just a character on a TV-show. And yes I know she just is that but she means a lot more to me than just that (and if I now sounds pathetic, well ok than). I mean the fact that we talk about her and the fact that some of us want to see with Jack and that some of us want her do things difference, says to me that some of you agree with me and that she is just more than a character. I mean why would we write FF about her? For me writing FF is a way of expressing how I want her to see as a person. And yes she still is a character but in that way she is getting more human.
              I dont want to offend anyone. Carter is my fav character and I like the show. I'm just not fanatic about it. And when I say fanatic I dont mean that is a bad thing. I'm fanatic about the x files lol
              Its just if she was more human she wouldnt be that smart. She knows way too much. I mean she knows nothing about ancient tech and all of a sudden she's an "expert"hhmmm she had a little help with the Goa'uld tech.

Originally posted by DEM
              Yes, and I can appreciate your reasoning; however, in terms of TEAMiness and MULTIPLE strong protagonists,
              Spoiler:
              the scene would have been much better like so:

CARTER: Uh, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it's gonna be tricky.
              MITCHELL: Hang on, Sam, we're coming to get you.
              CARTER: (nervous) Oh boy. (sobers) Okay, listen. Col Emerson, the sublight engines don't have much control. If you hit me, even at minimum velocity --
              MITCHELL: I am not going to hit you. (quietly) Not on purpose.
              CARTER: Once you get me in past the shield, the artificial gravity will kick in. You're going to have to employ reverse thrusters and such-and-so to maintain a stable positioning.
              MITCHELL: Understood, Sam; Kvasir's riding the controls manually.

Do you feel the difference there?

You see, even in Tangent, Teal'c ultimately had to do something to rescue himself. He wasn't a passive victim. Likewise, in all those other Carter's Crazy Idea episodes, Carter herself was also one of the people who was Going To Die! yet, in keeping with her character, she figured out what needed to be done despite her acknowledgement of and/or worry about the risks.
              Oh came on the scene works. What could she do? She was just concentrating on not being hit. why state the obvious while she's at it?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                What?! Of course Sam is real. Blasphemer! Seriously, we do talk about her as if she's real b/c Sam's such a great character and we love the way AT plays her. If we didn't feel that way, why would we be on this thread?

Thinking of the AT acting poll & our discussion of cool Sam of old: I loved in 2001 when Sam goes over the side of that Harvester and has to dangle there over the gate & cut the rope and go in. The Ambassador is totally trusting of her. Not a big challenge on an emotional level for AT perhaps (being in the harness); but boy does it show what a trouper she is. They said she was really hanging there for a good part of the day (though not high up, of course).
                She's my fave character and I dig the show. I wish she was like Mckay (sp) is....always fixing everything. Every ep revolves around him. I'd love that
                Last edited by kes; 16 July 2006, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                  I'll hold any reply until you finish catching up.
                  Well lets see...you presented 2 completly different situations.
                  Nice quoting. Good memory mate
                  Last edited by kes; 16 July 2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
                    It must be nice for AT to have another woman as a regular to hang about with on set. She's not had a regular female about since we lost Janet.

FF who enjoyed Flesh and Blood.
                    That's true! I hope AT and CB enjoy some of the same comradary that AT and TR had. I love the story about how they pretended they were "beauty school" students.

Comment

Originally posted by kes
                      She's my fave character and I dig the show. I wish she was like Mckay (sp) is....always fixing everything. Every ep revolves around him. I'd love that
                      Personally, I don't want her to be like McKay. I like him now, but it took a really loooooong time. Sam is allowed to make mistakes, both professionally and personally. Now, we are all a little miffed that Cameron
                      Spoiler:
                      played the hero, but weren't we just as angry when he nearly got them killed last season? I would rather see Cameron the hero than Cameron the inept leader who nearly gets the team killed. We seem to be stuck with him leading SG1, so he should at least do it well. (Please remember I would rather Sam have the lead, so don't stone me.)
                      I don't want to see any one character on the show getting all the hero time, but I don't mind the newbies getting a little extra attention for awhile. I think it will level out as the season progresses. Of course, I am a bit of an optimist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                        Your way would have been much better, but let's not forget
                        Spoiler:
                        After Sam was rescued, she managed to get the beaming technology back on line and save Teal'c. The asgaurd hadn't managed to fix the problem. He needed Sam's help. (Classic Sam)
                        Point of order:
                        Spoiler:
                        It was not at all clear to me that Carter got the beam to work. She was working on the hyperdrive.

Also,
                        Spoiler:
                        Sam didn't give up on Daniel, but informed Colonol What's-his-name? that he didn't know Daniel like they did. (Classic Sam)
                        Spoiler:
                        Concern for or belief in one's team-mate is not unique to Carter and is not the class of behaviour I was discussing.

ETA: Carter, Teal'c, and Bra'tac didn't even seem to have a plan of attack until Mitchell prodded them into one -- worked it out. Sad, sad writing.
                        I wish
                        Spoiler:
                        her rescue scene had been written better, but....this episode was much better than anything we got last year. Let's hold on to that a little longer.
                        Spoiler:
                        So, because you think the ep was better than anything we had last year, I'm supposed to "hold off" critiquing any weaknesses that I perceived?

Originally posted by kes
                        Nice quoting. Good memory mate
                        Later, kes.
                        Last edited by DEM; 16 July 2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Now, we are all a little miffed that Cameron
                          Spoiler:
                          played the hero, but weren't we just as angry when he nearly got them killed last season? I would rather see Cameron the hero than Cameron the inept leader who nearly gets the team killed. We seem to be stuck with him leading SG1, so he should at least do it well. (Please remember I would rather Sam have the lead, so don't stone me.)
                          Neither Cameron the Hewo nor Cameron the Incompetent appeal to me in the slightest.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                            A few more photos from Thursday's party.

LOL! Her smile in this one reminds me of this past weekend at Shore Leave when we took group shots --- it wasn't 'Say Cheese!' for the camera it was "Say SQUUUUUEEEE!"

AT: "Okay guys - now say SQUEEEEEE for the nice paparazzi!"
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              Neither Cameron the Hewo nor Cameron the Incompetent appeal to me in the slightest.
                              EXACTLY!!!! Now mitchell the team member or team mate I likely could have lived with but contrived BS as to the hewo and the incompetent (depending on who is writing and who is directing) I want nothing to do with.

Comment

Personally, I don't want her to be like McKay. I like him now, but it took a really loooooong time. Sam is allowed to make mistakes, both professionally and personally.
                                Mckay makes mistakes. And she'd never be exactly like him bc she's not arrogant. What I meant was her fixing stuff and the team actually reacting like she's the only one who can.

Comment

Working...
                                X