X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEM
    Anyone remember this?

4.12 Tangent
    JACOB: Beam them out? What am I, Scotty?
    CARTER: I have an idea, Dad. But Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c are going to have to take a leap of faith.

CARTER: Sir, we're over here ready to bring you home. But you're going to have to trust me. He's suffering from anoxia, oxygen deprivation. Do you trust me, Sir? [...] We copy that. So we want you do exactly what we say. First, remove your restraints. Then on my mark, blow the canopy of the glider and push off.

TEAL'C: We will die!

CARTER: Negative! It'll be all right if it's only for a few seconds. [..] Make sure your helmets are secure and set your oxygen at 100%. You'll need to pre-breath the last of it in breaths in deep breaths holding each one in. You'll need to power the system before you blow the canopy. Then disconnect the umbilical and exhale as much as possible. Stand by!

DAVIS: Yeah! Well done, Digger Two, well done! Congratulations! Now come on home!

10.01 Flesh and Blood
    Spoiler:
    CARTER: Uh, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it won't work.
    MITCHELL: Hang on, Sam, we're coming to get you.
    CARTER: (nervous) Oh boy. The sublight engines don't have that much control! If you hit me, even at minimum velocity --
    MITCHELL: I am not going to hit you. (quietly) Not on purpose.
    CARTER: (nervously) Ee-ee-even if you get me in past the shield, the artificial gravity will kick in: A fall from even 30 feet in this suit--
    MITCHELL: Sam, stop worrying; Kvasir's riding the controls manually. [...] Got her.... Kvasir, take her down lightly. [...] Yeah, some days you get lucky.

I miss Tangent!Carter.

... and Small Victories Carter, and Redemption Carter, and Fail Safe Carter, and 48 Hours Carter....
    You make a good point and I agree. It brings to mind something I read as a spoiler for an upcoming ep (can't recall the name of -- even have a hard time recalling the name of Fridays ep since none of them stand-out for any reason) -- it said that
    Spoiler:
    mitchell wants to use C4 to blow something and Carter disagrees (it's the one where Carter gets hurt in the fight and mitchell has to help her) and coupling that with this point you make I have another fear - that TPKTS will assasinate Carter's character further by making her the naysayer, the pessimist, the worry-wart (a/la the Odyssey scene) so that michell will always look right and like the hewo he is supposed to be and I have no doubt that the C4 will work in the ep I cannot recall and once again Carter will be made to be the foolish one
    . She is being made to be impotent in relation to the competent, strong soldier she was for 7 years (I feel, as many of you know, the dismantling of Carter began mid-season 7) all for the sake of one of the absolute weakest characters I have ever seen cross the Stargate SG-1 universe (yes I even think Anise may have been better. Tell you what - at this point I would RATHER have Anise on the show).

I also agree with another post about Daniel - what they are doing to Daniel is as bad as what they are doing to Carter and it seems his character is not even a wisp of what, IMO, made him so good for so many years and such a valuable part of the team. I know people like it because he "gets screen time" but screen time and being an impotent whipping boy/side-kick for the other shiny new character is not something I want for the character for the sake of "screen-time". I will not even mention what they have done to Teal'c (well okay - what was a strong, intelligent, respected warrior is now another impotent, damsel-in-distress who needs the big new hewo to save her (oops him) every week) -- what complete and utter trash.
    Spoiler:
    (That crapola with Bra'tac and Teal'c's deadly silence while mitchell yammers on was embarrasing and TPKTS should be ashamed of themselves for what they have done to the BIG3. Since when is mitchell sooo very familiar with Bra'tac (when in God's name have they even met to develop any sort of relationship never mind mitchell's new found ability to know how he will act)
    -- that should have been Teal'c's scene but we cannot have that can we mitchell must be the end all and be all of the show and we are stuck with the BIG(impotent)3 plus the impotent Bra'tac.

If this continues I really do give up and I will lose what little resect I have left for the show (I have none for TPKTS right now) and I will end up disliking the show, TPKTS and mitchell (well I already dislike him so much I cannot even watch his scenes which really cuts down on the amount of time I have to spend watching the video my friend makes for me -- thank goodness for the fast forward button) and that will make me sad since I spent 8 years getting invested in the original characters and 7 years really liking this show and respecting it.

Ooooh boy - things are not going well for me for S10 - I just seem to be getting angrier about the whole mess so it may be best to let go now but for some unbeliveable reason I am having a very hard time letting go all the way - I cannot figure this out I have never been in fandom of any other show, I have never had a probelm dumping a show I got to dislike the way I dislike this stupid new show, I have never had a problem just turning it off. I thought by going to the vidoetape it would be easier but for some reason I cannot break that final string. I am hoping that I can get out sooner rather than later since I really do think there is no hope for the show or for the BIG3 based on what I have seen and heard and I do not want to watch the continuation of their dismantling, their character assasinations and their being pushed to wallpaper for the sake of 2 characters that I truly dislike and woudln't watch 5 minutes of if they were in a different show.
    Last edited by binkpmmc; 16 July 2006, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      i know! this was my opinion until i somehow got pulled back in. i have no control over myself anymore apparently.

i'm sorry i ever made the original response now. i'm feeling that way a lot lately
      what??? No I love your post and well don't let hold that down to post things. And I don't think an arguement about 'a joke' is that stupid. I mean everyone sees it different and everyone has his own oppinion about it. and if you put it here people start to think about it. And I think sometimes the little things, the details are sometimes even important as the big things you see. they are worthy metioning. Cause well sometimes it bugs me that TPTB don't care that much for the details, and that they don't think about that so much. And the 'joke' thing is a good example for that.

Comment

Originally posted by kes
        Yeh this zoo sucks and it botheres me to see animals that way.
        You speak as if Sam was a real person. Its a tv character. And reality sometimes is bent. In the SG case a lot lOL
        Well see that is the problem I am having with TPTB, they just also see her as a character, and off course she is but I mean if they made her like she was a real person with the background and with her feeling her experience and everything a person has. I mean for me Sam is more than just a character on a TV-show. And yes I know she just is that but she means a lot more to me than just that (and if I now sounds pathetic, well ok than). I mean the fact that we talk about her and the fact that some of us want to see with Jack and that some of us want her do things difference, says to me that some of you agree with me and that she is just more than a character. I mean why would we write FF about her? For me writing FF is a way of expressing how I want her to see as a person. And yes she still is a character but in that way she is getting more human.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          I did love Tangent, but I can understand Cater's reaction in Flesh and Blood nonetheless.
          Spoiler:
          In F&B she was in Teal'c's position-stranded in space, with little air remaining and seeing no good way to be rescued. In fact, she was in a little bit worse of a situation than Teal'c-as a scientist, as one of the scientists who designed the Odyssey, she knew in exacting detail how many ways the manuver Mitchell was suggesting could go wrong.
          Yes, and I can appreciate your reasoning; however, in terms of TEAMiness and MULTIPLE strong protagonists,
          Spoiler:
          the scene would have been much better like so:

CARTER: Uh, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it's gonna be tricky.
          CARTER: (nervous) Oh boy. (sobers) Okay, listen. Col Emerson, the sublight engines don't have much control. If you hit me, even at minimum velocity --
          CARTER: Once you get me in past the shield, the artificial gravity will kick in. You're going to have to employ reverse thrusters and such-and-so to maintain a stable positioning.
          MITCHELL: Understood, Sam; Kvasir's riding the controls manually.

Do you feel the difference there?

You see, even in Tangent, Teal'c ultimately had to do something to rescue himself. He wasn't a passive victim. Likewise, in all those other Carter's Crazy Idea episodes, Carter herself was also one of the people who was Going To Die! yet, in keeping with her character, she figured out what needed to be done despite her acknowledgement of and/or worry about the risks.

Comment

This just popped up on my friend's list:

Amandahoilic Tshirts.
            Yeah there were quite a few fans at Shore Leave wearing these T-shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
              Yes, and I can appreciate your reasoning; however, in terms of TEAMiness and MULTIPLE strong protagonists,
              Spoiler:
              the scene would have been much better like so:

CARTER: Uh, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it's gonna be tricky.
              CARTER: (nervous) Oh boy. (sobers) Okay, listen. Col Emerson, the sublight engines don't have much control. If you hit me, even at minimum velocity --
              CARTER: Once you get me in past the shield, the artificial gravity will kick in. You're going to have to employ reverse thrusters and such-and-so to maintain a stable positioning.
              MITCHELL: Understood, Sam; Kvasir's riding the controls manually.

Do you feel the difference there?

You see, even in Tangent, Teal'c ultimately had to do something to rescue himself. He wasn't a passive victim. Likewise, in all those other Carter's Crazy Idea episodes, Carter herself was also one of the people who was Going To Die! yet, in keeping with her character, she figured out what needed to be done despite her acknowledgement of and/or worry about the risks.

I like your version better DEM. I have a distinct worry that they are going to turn Sam into a naysaying scientist so a certain other Lt Colonel's *cough*military*cough* skills shine.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by bink
                She is being made to be impotent in relation to the competent, strong soldier she was for 7 years (I fell, as many of you know, the dismantling of Carter began mid-season 7) all for the sake of one of the absolute weakest characters I have ever seen cross the Stargate SG-1 universe (yes I even think Anise may have been better.
                Originally posted by RealmOfX
                I like your version better DEM. I have a distinct worry that they are going to turn Sam into a naysaying scientist so a certain other Lt Colonel's *cough*military*cough* skills shine.
                Thanks, bink and RoX. Ultimately, I'm resigned to the writers taking a left turn after all these years and going the Standard Manly-Man Hero route with Mitchell. Whatev.

What I do NOT like or want to see, however, is other characters being made weaker in order to further that agenda. It Does Not have to happen that way. Carter can still have her strength and capabilities, Emerson can still be a frickin competent Full-Bird Colonel in command aboard his own ship, everyone can still be seasoned warriors who've seen every trick and strategem in the book twice over and, thus, know how to adapt, etc. etc. If I lose strong Carter, the show has lost me.

Comment

Originally posted by kes
                  Why stupid? She spends all her time in the mountain, doesnt know that a zoo exists there. Sommeone a few posts back said it was a huge city! Granted its a bit to close to where she works but...do you know everything that exists where you live? (is it big if its not then it doesnt count )
                  Ok it would have sounded better if she had said:"There's a zoo here??!
                  I could see her never having *been to* the zoo, not that she didn't know they had one. Poorly constructed joke.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                    I've always taken Mallozzi's "that was supposed to be a joke" line about the Colorodo Springs Zoo to be a crock. There was nothing in that scene to indicate that it was scripted as a joke. Neither of the actors played it that way, nor was the direction nor the score used to indicate levity. He was tap dancing over one of his mistakes.
                    i too have taken it that way. kinda like the commentary for one of the s9 eps, where the other writer points out 'where did vala get the gun? oh, she's had it all along. even after she was searched by the sgc? yeah, she's had it all along....aahah, right, sloppy joe' is paraphrased how it goes.

in other words, a writing mistake that's being excused as something else
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I did love Tangent, but I can understand Cater's reaction in Flesh and Blood nonetheless.
                      Spoiler:
                      In F&B she was in Teal'c's position-stranded in space, with little air remaining and seeing no good way to be rescued. In fact, she was in a little bit worse of a situation than Teal'c-as a scientist, as one of the scientists who designed the Odyssey, she knew in exacting detail how many ways the manuver Mitchell was suggesting could go wrong.

I don't think it reflects badly on her imagination, intelligence, or her courage at all to be very leery of the rescue attempt. No more than "We could die!" reflected badly on Teal'c's bravery. Sam is just a lot more verbal, and more technologically oriented, than Teal'c so her "I could die!" comes out in technobabble instead of the succinct way Teal'c puts it.

Who knows, she might have been more comfortable with it if someone who actually knew how to fly the Odyssey was suggesting the manuver. (No, I am not going to let that go any time soon, it appears!)
                      i didn't have that much of an issue with it since sam doesnt take not being in control well. she's a bit like rod in grace under pressure, she had to trust someone else to save her tush, when she's usually the savior...and to make matters worse, she had to trust lt colonel cambo

sam's always been a glass is half empty girl

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                        If TPTB want Mitchell to look in any way half-decent, they may feel that they have to downplay Sam's military prowess and leadership skills to the point of non-existence.

Imagine if there are two musicians, one of whom is truly gifted (on a level with Jacqueline du Pré or Yehudi Menuhin, for example) with the other being an adequate player but far from spectacular. If the second musician is the only one to play at a concert, he or she may sound okay, but if they are playing immediately after the first, they’ll look poor by comparison.

Mitchell, as he has been established, is the second musician – although one or two critics seem convinced that he is in the first category – so if he is to stand a chance of looking good, the first musician has to be kept out of the way.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                          i know! this was my opinion until i somehow got pulled back in. i have no control over myself anymore apparently.

i'm sorry i ever made the original response now. i'm feeling that way a lot lately
                          hey, short time out to celebrate post 46,000

by none other than our own stargate barbie!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            Anyone remember this?

4.12 Tangent
                            JACOB: Beam them out? What am I, Scotty?
                            CARTER: I have an idea, Dad. But Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c are going to have to take a leap of faith.

CARTER: Sir, we're over here ready to bring you home. But you're going to have to trust me. He's suffering from anoxia, oxygen deprivation. Do you trust me, Sir? [...] We copy that. So we want you do exactly what we say. First, remove your restraints. Then on my mark, blow the canopy of the glider and push off.

TEAL'C: We will die!

CARTER: Negative! It'll be all right if it's only for a few seconds. [..] Make sure your helmets are secure and set your oxygen at 100%. You'll need to pre-breath the last of it in breaths in deep breaths holding each one in. You'll need to power the system before you blow the canopy. Then disconnect the umbilical and exhale as much as possible. Stand by!

DAVIS: Yeah! Well done, Digger Two, well done! Congratulations! Now come on home!

10.01 Flesh and Blood
                            Spoiler:
                            CARTER: Uh, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it won't work.
                            CARTER: (nervous) Oh boy. The sublight engines don't have that much control! If you hit me, even at minimum velocity --
                            CARTER: (nervously) Ee-ee-even if you get me in past the shield, the artificial gravity will kick in: A fall from even 30 feet in this suit--
                            MITCHELL: Sam, stop worrying; Kvasir's riding the controls manually. [...] Got her.... Kvasir, take her down lightly. [...] Yeah, some days you get lucky.

I miss Tangent!Carter.

... and Small Victories Carter, and Redemption Carter, and Fail Safe Carter, and 48 Hours Carter....

Excellent point. It would have been more in character for Sam
                            Spoiler:
                            to say "I know this is risky, but I'm willing to chance it." and then talk Cam through the maneuver to save her.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              hey, short time out to celebrate post 46,000

by none other than our own stargate barbie!!!
                              That is great I don't think Stargate Barbie will like it that she posted that as the 46.000 post but than again it is great that there has been so much posting. I mean that just shows how much we like Sam and Amanda Tapping

Comment

Oh gosh a lot of angst on this page!!

Bink - I've stopped watching the show - midway through the ep which was a direct lift of a Startrek TNG storyline. I couldn't believe that the writers got so lazy or lacking in original thought. To be honest I can't believe the writers are still there after season 9 rubbish. Anyway I've stopped watching and I haven't actually suffered at all. Not watching rubbish, so nothing to feel bad about

TPTB really do not care what they do to the big 3, they are lost up their own proverbial driving through the changes without any regard to what made SG1 a great and well loved show. They have a different show to worry about now!

Season 10 may get better though!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X