Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    I hear ya. I guess everybody has (at one point or another in their lives) someone they admire a great deal and would end up tongue tied, when near to. I'm not sure what's going to happen to me when I get the chance to say "hi" for five seconds at AT2. Oh sure, I'm all cool and collected NOW, but just wait till I'm standing in front of her .... I probably won't even remember how to speak! Ulp.
    You know, Mini, I was really worried about that, too. It was okay - when I saw her finally it was like seeing a real person. Sure she's AT, but when you actually see them as people who also have to put on pants in the morning, brush their teeth, and eat it just really helps.
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      yeah. what's one of the greatest crits of Voyager?????
      I'd been thinking of Voyager as a similar situation!

When I was watching that show, I was completely oblivious to online fandoms, threads, etc... so there was no one to bounce ideas and questions off of. I was disappointed with the way that they brought 7of9 into the show. Very disappointed. I remember Kate Mulgrew being quoted as stating that she wished that Voyager's PTB had let her (KM) try and pull the weight of the show (without the bombshell in lycra). I resented most of the episodes that focussed so heavily on 7of9 - they didn't need a female character clad in such a fashion.

and sliding off-topic RE Voyager
      Spoiler:
      What was the deal with Chakotay and Seven at the end of the series? That seemed like it fell out of nowhere to me! It just didn't fit at all.

Now, I must admit that I knew nothing of 'ship', nor of 'shippers', nor did I have any opinions of who on Voyager should get involved with anyone else. Wasn't thinking that way with that show.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
        You know, Mini, I was really worried about that, too. It was okay - when I saw her finally it was like seeing a real person. Sure she's AT, but when you actually see them as people who also have to put on pants in the morning, brush their teeth, and eat it just really helps.
        Yeah I know, and in truth, I've worked with a lot of actors. It's not the glam that's doing this to me. Honest. I don't know what it is, really. I see Amanda as a real person, I don't deify her, I know where she's coming from, etc., but by the same token I think it's my admiration for what she's accomplished and what she stands for that bolsters this sense of "Wow, she's a cut above...". Admiration humbles me, most of the time. I mean, the other week I was working with a bigwig from ILM and I think I managed to be pretty professional, but inside I was SO admiring of where he'd been and what he could do (he was really pretty amazing at what he did). So there's that aspect that makes you realize you're (to be cliche): In the presence of greatness. To a certain extent. Human beings are human beings, I have no illusions about that. But I do get a healthy dose of humilty washed over me each time I have the opportunity to meet someone whose work/expression/ability I hold in high esteem. In the case of Amanda, likely because I *don't* know her (personally), it's amplified I'm sure. She's just another person out there, sure. Another person who's made a profound impact on a lot of lives and whose integrity I respect hugely (I think, I mean, I *assume* she really does stand for what she appears to stand for, after all ). So I've chosen to accept that I'm an AT fangirl and just smile it off. Human though she may be, she's a hero to me.

Heh. That rhymed. Cool.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          and sliding off-topic RE Voyager
          Spoiler:
          What was the deal with Chakotay and Seven at the end of the series? That seemed like it fell out of nowhere to me! It just didn't fit at all.

Now, I must admit that I knew nothing of 'ship', nor of 'shippers', nor did I have any opinions of who on Voyager should get involved with anyone else. Wasn't thinking that way with that show.
          Spoiler:
          They broke up practically the second they reached Earth in the post-Endgame novel "Homecoming".

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Yeah I know, and in truth, I've worked with a lot of actors. It's not the glam that's doing this to me. Honest. I don't know what it is, really. I see Amanda as a real person, I don't deify her, I know where she's coming from, etc., but by the same token I think it's my admiration for what she's accomplished and what she stands for that bolsters this sense of "Wow, she's a cut above...". Admiration humbles me, most of the time. I mean, the other week I was working with a bigwig from ILM and I think I managed to be pretty professional, but inside I was SO admiring of where he'd been and what he could do (he was really pretty amazing at what he did). So there's that aspect that makes you realize you're (to be cliche): In the presence of greatness. To a certain extent. Human beings are human beings, I have no illusions about that. But I do get a healthy dose of humilty washed over me each time I have the opportunity to meet someone whose work/expression/ability I hold in high esteem. In the case of Amanda, likely because I *don't* know her (personally), it's amplified I'm sure. She's just another person out there, sure. Another person who's made a profound impact on a lot of lives and whose integrity I respect hugely (I think, I mean, I *assume* she really does stand for what she appears to stand for, after all ). So I've chosen to accept that I'm an AT fangirl and just smile it off. Human though she may be, she's a hero to me.

Heh. That rhymed. Cool.

Oh, I agree - with AT its definitely NOT the glam thing - its her accomplishments, her persona, and our admiration for her all around. She is a cut above as an individual as well as in her field, no doubt a true hero, not someone who thinks she is just because she's a celebrity. And she's touched many of us in a very personal way because of that - including me. I stood in the autograph line next to a woman who'd lost a close family member in the last two years and found watching Amanda in Stargate to be a real comfort to her during that time. She had written Amanda a very touching and sweet letter and was wondering if she should give it to Amanda or not. She let me read it and it brough tears to my eyes. When it was my turn in the line I told Amanda she really should read the letter, as it had brought tears to my eyes and she would know that her work really matters. She seemed genuinely touched. Its the fact that Amanda is that type of person despite of her profession, her surroundings and the trappings by which others seem to be spoiled.

Like I keep sayin' if only more celebrities were like her. 'Nuff said yo. I better put that in my sig!

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Like I keep sayin' if only more celebrities were like her. 'Nuff said yo. I better put that in my sig!
              Hey, is that something you say a lot or something? I was trying to get what Spazzy meant about putting your voice to the words but I wasn't sure that's what she meant! Reason being, we all say "'Nuff said" a LOT here too, so I got a chuckle out of it. It's practially an every-other-word expression 'round this place! (Like right now, for example...)

geek

Comment

Hey, is that something you say a lot or something? I was trying to get what Spazzy meant about putting your voice to the words but I wasn't sure that's what she meant! Reason being, we all say "'Nuff said" a LOT here too, so I got a chuckle out of it. It's practially an every-other-word expression 'round this place! (Like right now, for example...)

geek
                Well, I'm an expressive Italiana person and when she met me I think she put my online personality with my voice and RL personality and got "PURE HAM". . In the sig I'd put the whole thing: "Amanda Tapping: If Only More Celebrities Were Like Her. 'Nuff said 'yo."
                Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 12 July 2006, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Oh, I agree - with AT its definitely NOT the glam thing - its her accomplishments, her persona, and our admiration for her all around. She is a cut above as an individual as well as in her field, no doubt a true hero, not someone who thinks she is just because she's a celebrity. And she's touched many of us in a very personal way because of that - including me. I stood in the autograph line next to a woman who'd lost a close family member in the last two years and found watching Amanda in Stargate to be a real comfort to her during that time. She had written Amanda a very touching and sweet letter and was wondering if she should give it to Amanda or not. She let me read it and it brough tears to my eyes. When it was my turn in the line I told Amanda she really should read the letter, as it had brought tears to my eyes and she would know that her work really matters. She seemed genuinely touched. Its the fact that Amanda is that type of person despite of her profession, her surroundings and the trappings by which others seem to be spoiled.

I agree. I observed Amanda to be genuine, the "real deal", warm, and friendly. She is not acting on the Q&A or the autograph table. She is very appreciative of her fans and she "gets it" that we want to express our admiration and respect for her work. She's gracious! Yep, that's the word! When accepting the compliments, kind words, best wishes, and fan humor, she is 'gracious' towards her fans!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                    *grins* I know... it's like hey, aren't we all going to meet again next weekend??! I still have everyone's voices still in my head and hopefully it'll be a while before they fade.
                    Yep, I still have faces and voices stuck in my brain and I keep finding little reminders in the strangest places. Today I was doing laundry and found the kleenex you gave me to wipe my tears of laughter. Needless to say, I started giggling all over again just thinking about it. There are definitely moments that I shared with everyone at Shore Leave that will be forever etched into my brain.

Comment

Re: Amanda and leadership: yes, that's the gist of what she said. Might I add that she was VERY gracious about it. She did not go off on it, neither did she make a weird face or gesture. She just said, "I agree". Everything she said to follow up was equally calm, cool, and collected.
                      Thanks for the info, WhatFate. However, I'm kind of lost and having trouble piecing together the bits of info. What, exactly, was the question asked of her?

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                        Thanks for the info, WhatFate. However, I'm kind of lost and having trouble piecing together the bits of info. What, exactly, was the question asked of her?
                        Sorry - I'm trying not to be redundant in case someone put it here already. To the best of my recollection (and please can correct, elaborate and further elucidate if necessary, as I wasn't taking notes): someone asked how she felt about being on the show for all these years with her character having saved the planet all these times, with all the offworld experience etc. and NOT be given command of SG-1. She said "I agree" and that she didn't know why the show had gone that way. There was huge agreement from the crowd, needless to say.

Comment

She said "I agree" and that she didn't know why the show had gone that way. There was huge agreement from the crowd, needless to say.
                          Uh oh, now she's dunnit. They're gonna work her out fer sure.

Oye. I guess the best we can hope for is that (if Mitchell doesn't manage to clean up his act and start behaving like a consummate professional), Carter then decides to make a career out of calculated insubordination. Lord knows SOMEBODY has to pick up those flailing reins and drive the d*mn cart to safety. Nevermind the horse...

Comment

Sorry - I'm trying not to be redundant in case someone put it here already. To the best of my recollection (and please can correct, elaborate and further elucidate if necessary, as I wasn't taking notes): someone asked how she felt about being on the show for all these years with her character having saved the planet all these times, with all the offworld experience etc. and NOT be given command of SG-1. She said "I agree" and that she didn't know why the show had gone that way. There was huge agreement from the crowd, needless to say.
                            Yep. And when she kinda nonchalantly said, "Well, maybe people like Mitchell more," (or something to that effect) there was a huge DISagreement. I can honestly say that it wasn't just the crazy GWers, either. The room had over 1000 people - and that's a low estimate - and a majority responded with a resounding, "No!"

:shrug:

During that brief moment in time, where The Question was asked, she was very serious. She didn't complain or bemoan the producers (though, iirc, she did say she asked the producers what that was about), but she did say that she was confused as well, and that she agreed with sacme's perspective.

It'd be poetic justice for that kind of audience reception of the leadership issue, and AT's popularity at the con in general, to make it back to TPTB before Flesh and Blood airs. You know, just to remind them of the choices they've made for both seasons.

EDIT: I can count on one hand how many times she became so serious during her sessions. One was when she talked about the lack of a Daniel/Sam/Teal'c dynamic, despite her requests. One was when she did admit that the ship questions got old, because that seems to be all there is to her character sometimes. One was when she addressed the Emancipation Incident, as was brought up by one boistrous woman in the front. And the final one was when she talked about actresses being pressured into nudity in film/television.

There could be more, but it would seem to me that she does take the leadership issue very seriously. She then went on to talk about a S10 episode where the issue is addressed (we're pretty sure she forgot that it wasn't a S9 episode, because she went into spoilerish detail with it).
                            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 12 July 2006, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                              I hadn't thought of the aspect of her brother recommending him, being a major factor, but you could be on to something. Sam has a need to please, and even though she and Mark made up, I'm sure that with her and Jacob in the military, it's still a little shaky. So when Mark recommended Pete, she decided to give it a try. And coming from Mark, he would definitely be the complete opposite of the "lunatic fringe" type she normally goes for.

And I'm kind of glad about that. If she'd met Cam Mitchel the hunky and very smart mechanic down the street, Jack just might have been history.

Very astute analysis.
                              True! I have never even tried to make sense of Pete before, but you did a really good job. Now, I think the addition of Cameron Mitchell, mechanic at large, would have been a problem for even die hard S/J shippers like me. Wow! I can see Mitchell taking apart a Harley in Sam's garage. Wait, I'm an S/J shipper. I'm an S/J shipper. O.k., I'm better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                                True! I have never even tried to make sense of Pete before, but you did a really good job. Now, I think the addition of Cameron Mitchell, mechanic at large, would have been a problem for even die hard S/J shippers like me. Wow! I can see Mitchell taking apart a Harley in Sam's garage. Wait, I'm an S/J shipper. I'm an S/J shipper. O.k., I'm better now.
                                Thanks. But actually the credit goes to Gracie aka Tok'ra Hostess. I was just musing off what she said.

And yes, I'm an S/J shipper too, so I'm really glad we didn't have Cam Mitchell mechanic extradinaire either. Might have had to turn in my S/J ship card.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X