Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UberSGc-1Fan
    Isn't it a matter of attitude and delivery?

It's one thing to posit really snarky about the leadership issue or whatever...and then of COURSE she'd be uncomfortable.

But to suggest that a portion (dare I say a LARGE portion) of her fans are perplexed by the leadership issue (frustrated to no end even), love and support her and anxiously are waiting to see how the writers are going to handle it...I think that's perfectly appropriate. And teasing her to see if she'd be willing to give HINTS I think would keep it even lighter and fluffier.

Not that I'd ever compel anyone to ask anything they don't want to. It's whover's right to ask or not ask whatever they want...and that's always true no matter the issue.

But I do agree with those who say that it's important that SOMEONE (maybe not from here) but that someone raise the question and toss that ball in the air...giving her the option to take a swing at it or take a pass. She's a big girl after all.

She expects these questions and it gives her insight into what her fans are thinking.

Plus, she does wonder when questions she expects to get aren't forthcoming...even the ones she has to be sick to death of by this point. And when it comes to these questions, at least the leadership issue is about Sam's career and not who's lips are the tastiest. Although we all know that the owner of said lips HAS to be Richard. Dean. Anderson. *big cheesy grin*

So my considered opinion is...for whomever is interested in doing so...to pose any question they want to with respect and dignity and leave it up to her to choose to play or pass.
    Wonderfully stated, U(oo)ber

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i very sincerely doubt that. IMHO if any insisting is going on, it's coming from those lovely sexist folks at scifi. The ones that believe in that the white male hewo, cleavage popping vamp and SFX are all that's needed to make a popular show
      I wonder if Stargate will end up being a lesson to them, when a once popular show dies after the white male hewo, cleavage popping vamp and SFX are forced into it, or if it will be considered the exception that proves the rule.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        yeah, i'm also not fond of Kiddie Orlin. Or if they had to have him a kid, lose the 'intimate relationship' bit.

it was just...wrong.

Hammondnever woulda said that. Never even insinuated it.
        Very true about our dear Hammond.
        If they had to have the "you had an intimate relationship?" thing from Landry & Lam, Sam should have said something like "yes, mentally" and put them in their place.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          Very true about our dear Hammond.
          If they had to have the "you had an intimate relationship?" thing from Landry & Lam, Sam should have said something like "yes, mentally" and put them in their place.
          How the heck would they have known about any "intimate relationship" Sam and Orlin might have had, anyway? Even if the mind meld thing counts, would Sam have shared something so personal in her reports when all anybody needs to know is that Orlin followed them back throught the stargate and approached Sam, she befriended him and he warned her about the consequences activating the weapon would have had?

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            How the heck would they have known about any "intimate relationship" Sam and Orlin might have had, anyway? Even if the mind meld thing counts, would Sam have shared something so personal in her reports when all anybody needs to know is that Orlin followed them back throught the stargate and approached Sam, she befriended him and he warned her about the consequences activating the weapon would have had?
            Guys, you're trying to find substance in a plot hole. Give up before you go nuts.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I guess it comes down to what answers you really want to hear regarding the leadership issue. Simply asking Amanda why Sam isn't leading SG-1 isn't going to get an answer that most of us want to hear. Yes, a large amount of fans are disappointed by Sam not leading SG-1, myself included, but what exactly do you want to know? Do you want her to give us a spoiler that Sam will be in charge next year? Or if Mitchell will be promoted? Do you want Amanda's opinion as to why Sam isn't leading? Do you want to know if she's disappointed by the fact that Sam is not leading? Or do you want to know the real reason Sam isn't leading? Honestly, I'd be shocked if we ever got a real answer to this issue from anyone involved on the show. I'm not saying people don't have valid issues or questions, I'm just agreeing with Tsax that unless the questions are directed in a particular way it may just put Amanda on the spot. I would ask Jckfan55 question, because it's simply Amanda's viewpoint; but a lot of people keep stating that someone should ask Amanda bout the leadership issue and honestly even if I ask her, I doubt I'll be getting the answer anyone wants to hear. If you want a specific answer, then give me a specific question and I promise I'll do my best to ask it.

Things I'd like to know?

I'd like to know if Amanda has created a background reason for Sam to have quit her position at Area 51 to return to SG-1 in her old 2IC position and if Sam considers it a demotion.

Will we see Sam more in S10 than we did in S9 and will she be more than just a background character.

Are there any episodes so far this year that Amanda really enjoyed?
              We're kinda saying the same thing, I think. It is all about how you ask sensitive questions. But she does expect them...so a balance must be achieved.

So whereas it's important for her fans to know we're upset as to how things have played out so far, it's equally important for her to know that we love and support her regardless.

*insert silly grin here*

I'd also be interested in knowing what story she's made up in her mind and heart. I'm always intrigued by actor motivations and so forth.

Here's another question I'd love to know the answer to. Michael put up a script that he used personally for filming Forever In A Day for a charity auction and it raised quite a penny. What made it so cool was the fact that he wrote tons of little notes to himself about moments and motivations. Like the scene where Daniel was talking to Sam about the pen and about how Sha're looked at everything like it was magical, Michael's note there about Sha're was that, "She showed me a part of me that I could not find." Cool insight into what he used mentally and emotionally as cues for himself on shooting day.

So my questions are twofold...

One. Does Amanda do something similar? We know she adds certain moments to scenes where none exists. We know...because she's made a point of saying...that she'll make choices as an actress to add to a backstory or to a relationship that weren't originally scripted. Does she come up with some of this on the fly or does she make special notes to herself on the script? What does she do to prepare herself emotionally and mentally to become Carter both generally speaking and on a per scene/moment basis?

Two. IF she does in fact make copious notes...or even if she doesn't...would she ever consider putting her shooting scripts up for charity auction? I'd love the one for In the Line of Duty or Gemini or Heroes. Oh the list would be long indeed.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                And when it comes to these questions, at least the leadership issue is about Sam's career and not who's lips are the tastiest. Although we all know that the owner of said lips HAS to be Richard. Dean. Anderson. *big cheesy grin*
                Hee, hee.
                Though do I remember correctly that at one point she did say her husband was the best kisser? Way to put things into perspective, Amanda!

Though I won't be attending any conventions in the foreseeable future, it seems to me that one of the main things is that AT knows we support her, come H*** or high water (or is that "writers or producers")

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Someone should be filming the storming of the writers' room. They can then mass-market the documentary and call it (are you ready?) "A Bridge Too Far".

That'll work for me. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                  Clever. But Operation Market Garden --(Arnhem--A bridge too far, 1944) didn't work out for the Allies.

Comment

Okay, I'm feeling very lonely at
                    http://www.celeeb.com/amanda-tapping/

I have to get some work done, but we're building a good lead with alliances. Help!

My LJ

Comment

How does Burnaby Crossing sound for the documentary. Or we coud go for Two No Trump at Bridge.

I know the last one stinks. I know nothing about playing Bridge, only what I heard.

Comment

Just name it after what they've been doing Burning Bridges behind you
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Captions anyone?

"You found how many Samandan signatures on that card?"

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            Captions anyone?

Janet: Sam, I can't believe this! How did you get a camera in O'Neill's office?
                            Sam: It wasn't that difficult since he's hardly ever there.
                            Janet: Yea, but look at what he does when he is in there!
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              Okay, I'm feeling very lonely at
                              http://www.celeeb.com/amanda-tapping/

I have to get some work done, but we're building a good lead with alliances. Help!
                              I'm voting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                                Then again, it's equally as possible (and yes, I know I am going to hear all about the sexist people behind the scenes and how they wanted a male hewo.. but I don't see that) that Sam could get a promotion. Anything is possible, and we have no actual indication either way of how it is going to go.

All that being said, I don't see any reason not to ask Amanda how she feels about Sam's career, do you think that command is that important to her. But I wouldn't expect her to answer in a way that is contrary to what has been written. She might say she is disappointed, but that doesn't mean that she isn't excited about the new storylines coming up for her character. And I wouldn't expect her to blow any upcoming storylines too much either. IE: If either of them are to be promoted.

Yes, it is a good question and it will get her feelings on the topic, but I wouldn't expect her to think it is a personal slap in the face because her character isn't in command. For her I think it's the nature of the story she is in, whether or not they are true to her character (which they can be and ahve her not in command), and working with people she cares about.

But in the end, my feelings on leadership are quite simple. Yes, I want Sam to have it, but I could accpet Mitchell being in command if they showed him in command. I am a stickler for them showing me things, not just telling me and expecting me to believe it.
                                I struggle to come up with any reason why Sam Carter wouldn't be in command of SG1 other than the network didn't want a female to lead. Logic dictates that Sam was the obvious choice for leader and she had the lead in season 8 (what few shows they wrote showing her in command) The fact is a male has been brought into the lead spot. The new female character - just as well known - is eye candy and "fun". Why not have CB lead SG1 Why did it have to be Ben?? It is very difficult for me to see where equality fits in the show any more.

That is where Amanda will be disapointed. She has stated in a number of interviews how much she feels about equality. As stated in my previous post she also spoke in an interview about looking forward to developing Sam in the leadership role. Little did she know what TPTB had planned.

I'm 100% sure that the cast will be under strict instructions to be positive about all aspects of the show and not even neutral. It will be difficult for Amanda to probably be honest and say how she feels about Sam not being in command. I personally think she took a great risk at GABIT by being honest about the goings on at Bridge. I think she spoke out to let us know that if she didn't feature as much in season 10 it had nothing to do with her wishes. She hadn't asked for less screen time, she hadn't asked for a reduced role.

I think she will have been firmly told to zip it in future.

I can't think Amanda will think it is life and death Sam not having command, but I'm think as a feminist wanting equality she will be disapointed.

We're not going to get the full story, not yet. I'm sure it will come out in the end, after the show has been cancelled and they do a cult review in about 10 years or so!!

We know she may not be able to tell us her honest thoughts about the leadership issue, so why bother asking?

Comment

Working...
                                X