Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady
    The drummer in the band I play in showed up at tonights gig with the new issue of Stargate Magazine for me. I'm not sure if you guys have already talked about the new issue or not but there are couple things I thought I would point out.

This is from Torri Higginson's article

Gender Issues

Curiously, Higginson's thwarted desire to explore respones to an issue from a female perspective is somewhat reminiscent of Amanda Tapping's early season laments regarding Sam Carter. Though Tapping was receiving fascinating material from the show's writers and producers, she didn't feel that it was coming close to defining Carter as a woman. Though the writer's room of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis is populated by extremely talented writers, the fact remains that they are exclusively male. Does Higginson feel that is in any way an issue?
    "Honestly, not just in this job butthroughout television, yeah, I do," she says candidly. "Not to say that there aren't men who write beautiful parts for women. But I think [of myself] - I do a bit of writing, an my female characters are much more well-rounded than my men are. Because I just realize that I stereotype when I write men, because I don't know how they work. So yes, as an actress, you are constantly going, 'Oh, wouldn'y it be nice if... Wouldn't it be lovely if...' And I'll say to Brad, tongue-in-cheek - 'Hey, how come there's no chicks inn those offices upstairs?' Especially now. They've got so many strong women on these shows, Claudia Black, we've always has Amanda Tapping, there's Rachel Luttrell - there's more women now on this show than ever has been. So yeah, without wanting to step on toes, I think it would be a wonderful asset to have at least one woman's voice in there, to not only come up with different story ideas that maybe have a different perspective, but also do a pass o the women's dialoue and give it a different approach, a different rhythm."
    Thanks so much for sharing this very insightful quote from the woman who supposedly leads her team on SA. I'm glad she spoke up!

Maybe the SG1 and SA ladies should don full battle uniforms and storm the inner sanctum at Bridge. They can take RC as hostage and demand that a) one or more of them gets to write or pitch an upcoming episode b) if they are too busy acting, then hire one woman writer c) place AT's name back on the director's list for a future show

Someone should be filming the storming of the writers' room. They can then mass-market the documentary and call it (are you ready?) "A Bridge Too Far".

That'll work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
      <snerk>yep the Poms have it backwards - it's COLD beer and HOT pies

but they're OK if they like AT & Sam Carter
      I've entered the comp and in the unlikely event that I win the ticket, anyone who's rude about our excellent beer and pies - Deevil and RealmOfX ! - can't have it!
      scarimor

Comment

Wow. You really deserve some green for this. But unfortunately GW thinks I'm not the person to give it to you.

You'll have to settle for virtual hugs instead!!

geeek

Originally posted by Strix varia
        Trying to catch up, but I'm sure I've missed some good stuff recently.

golfbooy, if noone has answered this already, I don't think there have been any definitive/official spoilers revealing Mitchell gets promoted over Sam. But the hints are that the leadership issue gets "fixed," and most of us don't believe it will be in favor of Sam. The easiest ways to do the fix: a) Mitchell gets promoted, or b) Sam goes civilian. I think there have also been serious rumors of somebody being promoted, although I forget the source. So, take your pick which is more likely, but I really don't expect anything more creative than that.

In regards to questions at cons: frankly, Amanda isn't stupid, and I suspect she knows that there are three things that are going to be asked about: her relationship with Jack, how Olivia is doing, and the leadership issue.

I don't think Amanda is a person who is going to try to stir up controversy, so I'm sure that whatever answers she gives about the leadership issue will be pretty tame. And I think that's only right of her. She can't help what the writers have done, and I'm sure she thinks of everyone at Bridge as her friends. If nothing else, she has to work with them every day. And I can't imagine that she'd want her fans to hate TPTB or BB because of what has happened to the fictional character she portrays.

If Amanda has learned anything this past year, it's that her fans are pretty rabid (yes, I'm talking about us!), and we'll take anything she says and run with it in many different directions, some of which I'm sure she never intended (like lemings over a cliff while she watches in amazement..."Wait, no, don't go THAT way!"). (And I say that with love and fondness for all of us, of course.) So, she'll be careful with her responses, I'm sure, assuming she has had time to think about them in her busy schedule. But if she hasn't prepared her responses to those inquiries already, I would be seriously surprised.

Mind you, this is me trying to get into Amanda's head, which is foolish, really, since I have no clue what she really thinks or feels about anything.

Um... there was more, but my mind has gone blank.

I hope all of you lucky souls who are going to Shore Leave have a wonderful, wonderful time. And try to share any juicy bits you get with those of us who aren't so fortunate, so the lemming migration can begin quickly!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
          I've entered the comp and in the unlikely event that I win the ticket, anyone who's rude about our excellent beer and pies - Deevil and RealmOfX ! - can't have it!
          Ah yes, you do indeed have excellent beer. Now if only you lot could learn to serve it at the right temperature.

Good luck with the comp - I'd really love to get to go to an AT con.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Thanks so much for sharing this very insightful quote from the woman who supposedly leads her team on SA. I'm glad she spoke up!

Maybe the SG1 and SA ladies should don full battle uniforms and storm the inner sanctum at Bridge. They can take RC as hostage and demand that a) one or more of them gets to write or pitch an upcoming episode b) if they are too busy acting, then hire one woman writer c) place AT's name back on the director's list for a future show

Someone should be filming the storming of the writers' room. They can then mass-market the documentary and call it (are you ready?) "A Bridge Too Far".

That'll work for me.

Works for me too

Oh, if only!
            -

Comment

Good night Samandans...have fun posting today!! And please don't forget to vote for Amanda!!!
              See you all tomorrow...hubby's back home tomorrow...yay!!!!
              BYE!!
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                Yes, but we're pretty colonials with a sense of humour and who drink cold beer. A friend of mine just got back from England and has lamented on the warm beer phenonomen in London....

That's just wrong.

(I have no idea what that has to do with us winning tickets, but ya know... making sense is so old school.)
                I didn't know you were Canadian
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  Thought I clicked on the wrong thread here for a minute...

I was watching 4th Horseman again last night:
                  Spoiler:
                  And the scene where Orlin tells her he still has the same feelings for her that he did before. And that Sam is wierded out by that. Now Sam fails at relationships under the best of circumstances, so this would have been way, way, way out of her depth It would have been extremely unsettling for her to admit to herself that she still had feelings for him, even though he was a child. And I know some of you weren't happy about the whole Orlin thing, but I do think it could have been a very interesting look into her pysche. Does she dismiss things based on their physical appearance or does she look deeper?
                  Spoiler:
                  Well I think that since Orlin went away in season 5 and now there has been a lot happening to sam. Off course she still has those feelings for Orlin but I do not think they are as big as they were. I mean in the meantime she was engaged, readdy to get married. She gave back the ring cause she didn't love Pete that much, she was in love with someone else. She also had some loses to cope with. think about Janet and Jacob. So a lot has changed in the couple of years that she didn't see him.
                  And now he is back, he is a little kid, and as you can see in her expression and in her way of beeing with him, She really don't know how to interact to him like in Ascension. I mean he is become a little boy. That has to be a shock for her. I mean IMO she really has in the beginning problems by how he looks like. As much as she is trying to convince herself that it is Orlin, she doesn't see him as the Orlin she knew. His appereance really changed a lot. But after a while I think she get used to his looks and than he is starting to see a little boy. I don't know that he sees him as Orlin. Maybe she does maybe she doesn't. I think also with the fact that he is forgetting everything that makes it also really hard for her to cope with. She can't talk to him like she want. Cause I think she really has some measure issues after he ascended again. And I think she didn't have the change to talk to him about it because he was there to save the planet... they really needed his help. Than he was starting to forget things, and he was a little boy(and IMO that is a really hard thing to do talking about something that is that serious to someone who is in a little boy's body. even if it is Orlin)
                  And I do think she tries to look deeper but IMO it has to be really hard for sam to look behind that little boy's body. but I do believe that she is trying hard to not see him as a boy

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                    Okay here is my personal view - you have yours and I can have mine - I have seen all the main SG-1 cast at cons minus RDA of course more than once - AT does get tired of the S/J question and I have heard her respond differently at different cons (I think her view on the subject has changed over the years), I was in Vancouver and when asked the leadership question she did deflect it with humor (she never really gave an answer), I saw Ben asked the same thing and he sighed said he just acts what is writen for him and you should ask the writers that question. There are things that Chris and Michael are so tired of they put a stop to last year and said we will not do that or answer that any more. Amanda handles things better than most of the others when questions get uncomfortable for her. You want to ask a question about leadership then please by all means go to a con and ask it is your right. It is also my right to not ask and to not have to be made to feel bad for not asking. I do know that there were plans for a SG panel at Comic Con however with the changes in MGM/Sony structure I have not gotten confirmation on the panel taking place if it does then Brad and Rob will more than likely be on the panel and I would be more than happy to ask then why the decision was made to have Mitchell lead SG-1 instead of Sam. At a con like Shore Leave wanting to show AT support that Sam should be leading in my opinion it would be better to ask a question but start off with saying something like "I think Sam should be leading SG-1 instead of Mitchell ....then ask a question.

Again this is just my opinion and now I'm out of here I have a 4th of July concert to go play. Have fun and play nice tonight.
                    I totally agree with Tsax. I may not have been to as many cons as she, but I have seen most of the actors during several different Q&A sessions and it's obvious there are some questions they are not comfortable answering. When we ask them questions about things they have no control over, we are putting them on the spot. Just imagine someone asking you if you thought your boss was an idiot for the decisions he made last year and then video taped your response and posted it on the web so everyone could see it. I seriously doubt you would answer the question as honestly as you would like. Even if they share our feelings regarding a topic, it puts them into a situation where they must vocalize their viewpoint which may be different than the people who sign their paychecks or they may end up ticking off a group of fans with their response. This is especially true for Amanda in regards to Sam/Jack issue, because if she acts excited about Sam and Jack getting together then the antis are disappointed/angry with her and if she says something negative about S/J then she upsets shippers. It's a lose-lose situation for her. I know shippers love to hear what is going on with Sam and Jack, but I think it's obvious by now that they are never going to come out at a con and state 'Sam and Jack are married'... or 'Sam and Jack have decided to just remain friends' so why keep putting Amanda on the spot by asking it? The same goes with the leadership issues. She may make a joke about it and give an answer that sort of hits on the topic, but in most cases it just makes her uncomfortable. One thing I hope is that Amanda doesn't get hit with the same questions over and over again like she did at Vancouver. The biggest topic on everyone's mind seemed to be about kissing... Is RDA a good kisser? Is David Hewlett a good kisser? Who's the best kisser? Honestly if I was Amanda I'd have had a very hard time keeping a smile on my face by the end of the hour. Here she is an actress who's been playing a character for a decade now. You would think that there would be tons of other questions people were concerned with that involved Sam, besides why the writers didn't make Sam the leader and will Sam & Jack ever get together...but that's just my opinion.

I think Tsax made a great suggestion. If you want to make it a point that you are a shipper and want to see S&J together, then state it. Tell her your a shipper and you love the idea of S&J together, but don't ask her if she wants the same thing or ask if you'll hear wedding bells in the future; because you may not get the answer you are wishing to hear. As for the leadership issue, I'm going to be doing exactly what Tsax suggested, if given the chance, I'm going to ask Amanda a question that will ask her opinion about why Sam may have choosen to come back to the SGC? Did she come back because she was commanded to do so, or did she come back out of personal duty regardless if it meant a demotion for Sam. I don't think people should avoid asking Amanda questions about S10 or leadership completely, I just think they should remember that she has no control over what is written and she may have as little understanding why the writers have been so ambiguous regarding the leadership issue as the rest of us. If you want a real answer, get it from the producers and writers at Comic Con. I'd rather people tell Amanda how much they are backing her regardless of what happens in S10 and how disappointed they were that she was in so few scenes in season 9, but how great she was in them. At least that's what I will be saying when I get the chance to talk with her briefly.

Kat
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 05 July 2006, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreversg1
                      there has got to be other questions people are concerned about involving Sam, other than why the writers didn't make [removed] Sam [as] the leader
                      Again, I think jckfan55's suggestion of approaching the issue from an actorly POV was a great one (e.g., "What does Carter see her place as being"). In addition, quite frankly and with all respect, there has been nowhere near the amount of inquiry (to AT) about Carter's command status in S9-10 that there has been about ship stuff -- not even in the same galaxy.

Maybe I'm wrong and my memory has completely failed me, but my recollection of Vancouver is that there was one vague question, the answer to which was not well explained or described. Moreover, that was months ago when viewers had not seen all of season 9 and, thus, AT couldn't have said much about it anyway. The GW interview was also less than incisive.

Comment

Isn't it a matter of attitude and delivery?

It's one thing to posit really snarky about the leadership issue or whatever...and then of COURSE she'd be uncomfortable.

But to suggest that a portion (dare I say a LARGE portion) of her fans are perplexed by the leadership issue (frustrated to no end even), love and support her and anxiously are waiting to see how the writers are going to handle it...I think that's perfectly appropriate. And teasing her to see if she'd be willing to give HINTS I think would keep it even lighter and fluffier.

Not that I'd ever compel anyone to ask anything they don't want to. It's whover's right to ask or not ask whatever they want...and that's always true no matter the issue.

But I do agree with those who say that it's important that SOMEONE (maybe not from here) but that someone raise the question and toss that ball in the air...giving her the option to take a swing at it or take a pass. She's a big girl after all.

She expects these questions and it gives her insight into what her fans are thinking.

Plus, she does wonder when questions she expects to get aren't forthcoming...even the ones she has to be sick to death of by this point. And when it comes to these questions, at least the leadership issue is about Sam's career and not who's lips are the tastiest. Although we all know that the owner of said lips HAS to be Richard. Dean. Anderson. *big cheesy grin*

So my considered opinion is...for whomever is interested in doing so...to pose any question they want to with respect and dignity and leave it up to her to choose to play or pass.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          . I'd rather people tell Amanda how much they are backing her regardless of what happens in S10 and how disappointed they were that she was in so few scenes in season 9, but how great she was in them. At least that's what I will be saying when I get the chance to talk with her briefly.

Kat
                          That would be wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            Isn't it a matter of attitude and delivery?

It's one thing to posit really snarky about the leadership issue or whatever...and then of COURSE she'd be uncomfortable.

But to suggest that a portion (dare I say a LARGE portion) of her fans are perplexed by the leadership issue (frustrated to no end even), love and support her and anxiously are waiting to see how the writers are going to handle it...I think that's perfectly appropriate. And teasing her to see if she'd be willing to give HINTS I think would keep it even lighter and fluffier.

Not that I'd ever compel anyone to ask anything they don't want to. It's whover's right to ask or not ask whatever they want...and that's always true no matter the issue.

But I do agree with those who say that it's important that SOMEONE (maybe not from here) but that someone raise the question and toss that ball in the air...giving her the option to take a swing at it or take a pass. She's a big girl after all.

She expects these questions and it gives her insight into what her fans are thinking.

Plus, she does wonder when questions she expects to get aren't forthcoming...even the ones she has to be sick to death of by this point. And when it comes to these questions, at least the leadership issue is about Sam's career and not who's lips are the tastiest. Although we all know that the owner of said lips HAS to be Richard. Dean. Anderson. *big cheesy grin*

So my considered opinion is...for whomever is interested in doing so...to pose any question they want to with respect and dignity and leave it up to her to choose to play or pass.
                            I guess it comes down to what answers you really want to hear regarding the leadership issue. Simply asking Amanda why Sam isn't leading SG-1 isn't going to get an answer that most of us want to hear. Yes, a large amount of fans are disappointed by Sam not leading SG-1, myself included, but what exactly do you want to know? Do you want her to give us a spoiler that Sam will be in charge next year? Or if Mitchell will be promoted? Do you want Amanda's opinion as to why Sam isn't leading? Do you want to know if she's disappointed by the fact that Sam is not leading? Or do you want to know the real reason Sam isn't leading? Honestly, I'd be shocked if we ever got a real answer to this issue from anyone involved on the show. I'm not saying people don't have valid issues or questions, I'm just agreeing with Tsax that unless the questions are directed in a particular way it may just put Amanda on the spot. I would ask Jckfan55 question, because it's simply Amanda's viewpoint; but a lot of people keep stating that someone should ask Amanda bout the leadership issue and honestly even if I ask her, I doubt I'll be getting the answer anyone wants to hear. If you want a specific answer, then give me a specific question and I promise I'll do my best to ask it.

Things I'd like to know?

I'd like to know if Amanda has created a background reason for Sam to have quit her position at Area 51 to return to SG-1 in her old 2IC position and if Sam considers it a demotion.

Will we see Sam more in S10 than we did in S9 and will she be more than just a background character.

Are there any episodes so far this year that Amanda really enjoyed?

Comment

what exactly do you want to know? Do you want her to give us a spoiler that Sam will be in charge next year? Or if Mitchell will be promoted? Do you want Amanda's opinion as to why Sam isn't leading? Do you want to know if she's disappointed by the fact that Sam is not leading? Or do you want to know the real reason Sam isn't leading? Honestly, I'd be speachless if we ever got a real answer to this issue.
                              I'd say the above highlighted would be a perfectly valid question for a con-goer to ask. I doubt Amanda's public answer would be copiously forthcoming, more likely it would be deflected with humor, but I think the question itself would still be valid, none the less.

Very much along the same lines as this question:
                              I'd like to know if Amanda has created a background reason for Sam to have quit her position at Area 51 to return to SG-1 in her old 2IC position and if Sam considers it a demotion?
                              The two questions, I think, could almost be combined in terms of the answer being (very likely) rationalized by Amanda along the same lines (whatever that rationale may be). It would seem likely, at least.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                                Again, I think jckfan55's suggestion of approaching the issue from an actorly POV was a great one (e.g., "What does Carter see her place as being"). In addition, quite frankly and with all respect, there has been nowhere near the amount of inquiry (to AT) about Carter's command status in S9-10 that there has been about ship stuff -- not even in the same galaxy.

Maybe I'm wrong and my memory has completely failed me, but my recollection of Vancouver is that there was one vague question, the answer to which was not well explained or described. Moreover, that was months ago when viewers had not seen all of season 9 and, thus, AT couldn't have said much about it anyway. The GW interview was also less than incisive.
                                Some of my thoughts... and I've put them in spoilers for those who don't want to read anymore about this topic

The Leadership Issue/Question
                                Spoiler:

That's the same impression that I've gotten... AT has been asked incessantly about the S/J issue, but I don't think that she's really been asked too many times about the leadership issue. At least, not in anything that I've read. The one that I remember most vividly was someone asking her after she returned in Season 9(at a con, I believe), 'Why isn't Carter the CO of SG-1?', and AT's response was a simple and honest 'Yeah, why isn't she?'. That spoke volumes to me. I wasn't at that con, but read about it later, and I can just hear AT's shrug in her voice as she turns the question back to anyone around her. I don't think that AT expected Carter to be removed from command when she left for her maternity leave. I also rememeber AT mentioning how weird it was to be back for those first few episodes that she returned for, and to not be wearing the SG-1 patch, to not be on SG-1.

I thought that AT was looking forward to returning to Stargate SG-1 and exploring Carter's leadership in the new season. In one interview before she left, she commented that it would be interesting to see what the writers came up with to explain her absence, as it would be more of a challenge than when any of the guys left for a few days when their wives gave birth.

When she returned, she found that Carter had been written out of command and that the show's PTB had decided to completely retool and rework the show, embarking on a new direction that took a left turn from where the show had been when AT left to have her new baby.

None of it seems to have been in AT's control, so I agree with tsaxlady and Strix and others when thinking about asking AT questions and putting her on the spot about such matters.

I love the idea of showing her our support regarding the issue/topic, but don't like the idea of putting her in a position where she could conceivably be at odds with those that she works for.

Someone suggested saying something like, 'Amanda, we are so glad that you are back, and you have developed and portrayed the character of Lt. Col. Sam Carter so well that we are sorry that we didn't get to see you lead the team in Season 9.'

Or something to that effect.

The Backstory/rationale question
                                Spoiler:

As for asking her about the explanation for Carter not being in command... to be honest, I'm not interested in any contrived rationales, because that's what they'd be. I wouldn't ask AT *or* any of the PTB - especially, TPTB, because it would just give them one more platform to try and make themselves look good, to try and spread their propoganda - and why give them that stage on a silver platter? On the other hand, if there was a way to ask them 'why was this actually done' (not what is the contrived backstory), and if there was a way to actually get a truthful answer... that would be different. But I don't see how that's possible. Unless someone publicly admitted culpability (and that there was a horrible mistake made) who would believe their answers at this point?

Changes in Stargate SG-1
                                Spoiler:

Many things happened over the time that AT was on leave; RDA left the show and many of TPTB wanted to create a New Show. They weren't allowed to. They were told that SG-1 was continuing. So, what did they do? They stuck it to the ones who wouldn't let them create their new show... by simply using their New Show ideas on the next Season of SG-1. It's interesting to me that the folks who told them that they couldn't have their new show (and that they had to continue SG-1), didn't do something punitive to the folks who snottily went ahead with their New Show ideas/plots/configurations under the SG-1 title.

Just my rambling thoughts....
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 July 2006, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X