No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent post Strix!! I've loved you too much for green too... so consider this it.

[off to join the lemming line]

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Trying to catch up, but I'm sure I've missed some good stuff recently.

golfbooy, if noone has answered this already, I don't think there have been any definitive/official spoilers revealing Mitchell gets promoted over Sam. But the hints are that the leadership issue gets "fixed," and most of us don't believe it will be in favor of Sam. The easiest ways to do the fix: a) Mitchell gets promoted, or b) Sam goes civilian. I think there have also been serious rumors of somebody being promoted, although I forget the source. So, take your pick which is more likely, but I really don't expect anything more creative than that.

In regards to questions at cons: frankly, Amanda isn't stupid, and I suspect she knows that there are three things that are going to be asked about: her relationship with Jack, how Olivia is doing, and the leadership issue.

I don't think Amanda is a person who is going to try to stir up controversy, so I'm sure that whatever answers she gives about the leadership issue will be pretty tame. And I think that's only right of her. She can't help what the writers have done, and I'm sure she thinks of everyone at Bridge as her friends. If nothing else, she has to work with them every day. And I can't imagine that she'd want her fans to hate TPTB or BB because of what has happened to the fictional character she portrays.

If Amanda has learned anything this past year, it's that her fans are pretty rabid (yes, I'm talking about us!), and we'll take anything she says and run with it in many different directions, some of which I'm sure she never intended (like lemings over a cliff while she watches in amazement..."Wait, no, don't go THAT way!"). (And I say that with love and fondness for all of us, of course.) So, she'll be careful with her responses, I'm sure, assuming she has had time to think about them in her busy schedule. But if she hasn't prepared her responses to those inquiries already, I would be seriously surprised.

Mind you, this is me trying to get into Amanda's head, which is foolish, really, since I have no clue what she really thinks or feels about anything.

Um... there was more, but my mind has gone blank.

I hope all of you lucky souls who are going to Shore Leave have a wonderful, wonderful time. And try to share any juicy bits you get with those of us who aren't so fortunate, so the lemming migration can begin quickly!
    sigpic

Comment

The drummer in the band I play in showed up at tonights gig with the new issue of Stargate Magazine for me. I'm not sure if you guys have already talked about the new issue or not but there are couple things I thought I would point out.

This is from Torri Higginson's article

Gender Issues

Curiously, Higginson's thwarted desire to explore respones to an issue from a female perspective is somewhat reminiscent of Amanda Tapping's early season laments regarding Sam Carter. Though Tapping was receiving fascinating material from the show's writers and producers, she didn't feel that it was coming close to defining Carter as a woman. Though the writer's room of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis is populated by extremely talented writers, the fact remains that they are exclusively male. Does Higginson feel that is in any way an issue?
      "Honestly, not just in this job butthroughout television, yeah, I do," she says candidly. "Not to say that there aren't men who write beautiful parts for women. But I think [of myself] - I do a bit of writing, an my female characters are much more well-rounded than my men are. Because I just realize that I stereotype when I write men, because I don't know how they work. So yes, as an actress, you are constantly going, 'Oh, wouldn'y it be nice if... Wouldn't it be lovely if...' And I'll say to Brad, tongue-in-cheek - 'Hey, how come there's no chicks inn those offices upstairs?' Especially now. They've got so many strong women on these shows, Claudia Black, we've always has Amanda Tapping, there's Rachel Luttrell - there's more women now on this show than ever has been. So yeah, without wanting to step on toes, I think it would be a wonderful asset to have at least one woman's voice in there, to not only come up with different story ideas that maybe have a different perspective, but also do a pass o the women's dialoue and give it a different approach, a different rhythm."
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Wow... props to Torri. Regardless of pc scrapings and bowings, there is a god's honest truth there. It's nice to see someone say it out loud.

I'm afraid that no matter how much the duck could act like a swan... he was a still a duck.. yanno?

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        The drummer in the band I play in showed up at tonights gig with the new issue of Stargate Magazine for me. I'm not sure if you guys have already talked about the new issue or not but there are couple things I thought I would point out.

This is from Torri Higginson's article

Gender Issues

Curiously, Higginson's thwarted desire to explore respones to an issue from a female perspective is somewhat reminiscent of Amanda Tapping's early season laments regarding Sam Carter. Though Tapping was receiving fascinating material from the show's writers and producers, she didn't feel that it was coming close to defining Carter as a woman. Though the writer's room of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis is populated by extremely talented writers, the fact remains that they are exclusively male. Does Higginson feel that is in any way an issue?
        "Honestly, not just in this job butthroughout television, yeah, I do," she says candidly. "Not to say that there aren't men who write beautiful parts for women. But I think [of myself] - I do a bit of writing, an my female characters are much more well-rounded than my men are. Because I just realize that I stereotype when I write men, because I don't know how they work. So yes, as an actress, you are constantly going, 'Oh, wouldn'y it be nice if... Wouldn't it be lovely if...' And I'll say to Brad, tongue-in-cheek - 'Hey, how come there's no chicks inn those offices upstairs?' Especially now. They've got so many strong women on these shows, Claudia Black, we've always has Amanda Tapping, there's Rachel Luttrell - there's more women now on this show than ever has been. So yeah, without wanting to step on toes, I think it would be a wonderful asset to have at least one woman's voice in there, to not only come up with different story ideas that maybe have a different perspective, but also do a pass o the women's dialoue and give it a different approach, a different rhythm."
        sigpic

Comment

There is also a Mission debrief on Avenger 2.0 that includes a mini interview with Patrick McKenna here is what he had to say about Amanda;

Q: You seem to have a lot of fun in your scenes with Amanda Tapping. Was that the case?

Very much. Everybody on set loves Amanda. She's this crystal intelligent gem that they all rally around, so it's something you pay a lot of respect to. The scene where I spill the Mountain Dew all over myself, that was one where it was, "Don't get the clothes wet until you have to get them wet" [laughs]. We only had one set, it was quite late in the day, so it was one of those opportunities where, "O.K, if you're gona do this, go big enough that it really works out well". Again, the more serious we played every moment around that, the funnier things like that became. Amanda is so wonderful that way. She doesn't know what I'm going to do, but she totally trusts it's going to work within the scene, and the director, Martin [Wood], was that very same way. They were gret because it's such a depressing little scene, it's so sad to see his little home. It's an insight into how desperately this person wants to be involved.
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Don't expect a straight answer. Personally, I think AT is hoping no one uses the "L" word. She knows by now how this handing-over-of-command-to-Cam-while-Sam's-away played itself out for many of her loyal fans. There are those of us who think that TPTB have disrespected not just the character but the actor herself.
            what's the 'L' word?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              what's the 'L' word?

sally
              Leader? Leadership?

Comment

Another really cool Canadian show, one I'd love to see Amanda guest star in. However I don't think that's it in this context

Originally posted by majorsal
                what's the 'L' word?

sally
                sigpic

Comment

Here's a chance for UK fans to win tickets to Avalon and see AT & RDA

Win tickets

SIGH why don't I live in the UK???
                  -

Comment

Could we pretend to live in the UK? Like, really...

Hey RoX - Britian is the mother country still, right? Shouldn't that give us poor Aussies a chance to win?
                    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                      Could we pretend to live in the UK? Like, really...

Hey RoX - Britian is the mother country still, right? Shouldn't that give us poor Aussies a chance to win?
                      Now I remember why - it's too bloody cold!!!!

Nah - we're just a bunch of colonials, don't ya know

But I really, Really, REALLY would like to get to see AT & RDA
                      -

Comment

Yes, but we're pretty colonials with a sense of humour and who drink cold beer. A friend of mine just got back from England and has lamented on the warm beer phenonomen in London....

That's just wrong.

(I have no idea what that has to do with us winning tickets, but ya know... making sense is so old school.)
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          yeah, i'm also not fond of Kiddie Orlin. Or if they had to have him a kid, lose the 'intimate relationship' bit.

it was just...wrong.

Hammondnever woulda said that. Never even insinuated it.

Orlin as a kind woulda worked if they'd just left out the insinuations
                          yeah, 'insinuations' that sam played up too (by not saying otherwise).

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                            Yes, but we're pretty colonials with a sense of humour and who drink cold beer. A friend of mine just got back from England and has lamented on the warm beer phenonomen in London....

That's just wrong.

(I have no idea what that has to do with us winning tickets, but ya know... making sense is so old school.)
                            <snerk>yep the Poms have it backwards - it's COLD beer and HOT pies

but they're OK if they like AT & Sam Carter
                            -

Comment

Hey! Just came in and saw that stuff about the leadership question being asked at the upcoming con, and I've gotta tell you all how grateful I am to have these different viewpoints. It totally puts a new perspective on things.

I've always been a little iffy about putting her in the awkward position of candidly addressing the leadership issue with fans who will eventually tell us crazies online - and I'm too much of a chicken to do it myself this weekend. Also, though I want to hear her opinion at the con, after reading Coley's, tsaxlady's and strix's posts, I have to say that I agree with their assessments. I doubt I'm going to ask any questions anyway, but if we as a group would pretty much rather NOT be the ones asking the question at this time, I'm totally game for that.

If some other schmoe from the crowd asks (which, let's face it, is bound to happen), then that'll be OK, of course. But I probably won't be pushing for that question to be asked at SL this time around. I think the plan to have the question asked at Comic Con is the best bet, if the opportunity arises.

Plus, I think that, if she's peeked at GW at all over the past six months, she should have a pretty good idea where hundreds of fans stand on the leadership issue. As long as she realizes that, I think it's OK.

ETA: And tsax, if the Cooper/Wright deal works out at Comic Con, it'll be very interesting to see how prepared these two will be for these kinds of questions. Do you think there will be enough fans there to ask the tough questions of these two?

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                Trying to catch up, but I'm sure I've missed some good stuff recently.

golfbooy, if noone has answered this already, I don't think there have been any definitive/official spoilers revealing Mitchell gets promoted over Sam. But the hints are that the leadership issue gets "fixed," and most of us don't believe it will be in favor of Sam. The easiest ways to do the fix: a) Mitchell gets promoted, or b) Sam goes civilian. I think there have also been serious rumors of somebody being promoted, although I forget the source. So, take your pick which is more likely, but I really don't expect anything more creative than that.

In regards to questions at cons: frankly, Amanda isn't stupid, and I suspect she knows that there are three things that are going to be asked about: her relationship with Jack, how Olivia is doing, and the leadership issue.

I don't think Amanda is a person who is going to try to stir up controversy, so I'm sure that whatever answers she gives about the leadership issue will be pretty tame. And I think that's only right of her. She can't help what the writers have done, and I'm sure she thinks of everyone at Bridge as her friends. If nothing else, she has to work with them every day. And I can't imagine that she'd want her fans to hate TPTB or BB because of what has happened to the fictional character she portrays.

If Amanda has learned anything this past year, it's that her fans are pretty rabid (yes, I'm talking about us!), and we'll take anything she says and run with it in many different directions, some of which I'm sure she never intended (like lemings over a cliff while she watches in amazement..."Wait, no, don't go THAT way!"). (And I say that with love and fondness for all of us, of course.) So, she'll be careful with her responses, I'm sure, assuming she has had time to think about them in her busy schedule. But if she hasn't prepared her responses to those inquiries already, I would be seriously surprised.

Mind you, this is me trying to get into Amanda's head, which is foolish, really, since I have no clue what she really thinks or feels about anything.

Um... there was more, but my mind has gone blank.

I hope all of you lucky souls who are going to Shore Leave have a wonderful, wonderful time. And try to share any juicy bits you get with those of us who aren't so fortunate, so the lemming migration can begin quickly!
                                Excellent, excellent post, fellow lemming!

Comment

Working...
                                X