Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories of GABIT1 ...

In the photo I shared, we are wearing Royal Samanda ID Badges which were designed and produced by SamFan31 and which we proudly displayed throughout the weekend. We also brought one for Forever Sg1 (Kat) as I think we were the primary four from this thread at Amanda's first event.

Now our numbers have grown and there will be so many more Samandans at Shore Leave and GABIT2. How fun is that!

I should note that the graphics were created by Kat and Lys and possibly Strix ... it was a compilation of the artwork at the thread at that time. Thanks, everyone involved!

Comment

i saw her 'is that it' the same way. I'm sure she was expecting a fit. some sort of shouting match or angry words...not just a 'well, ok then'

take jack for example and her going to pick flowers....she got a snarky remark from him. and i'm sure she was expecting something like that from pete.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Oh yeah, Sam's always sucked in the relationship department. It's a great part of her character, the fallibility that AT's mentioned in the past. It might've been an unintentional result of S/J pimpage (or whatever floats one's boat), but it works, and I think AT played it well.

Though I'm not quite sure I can say that Sam was willfully leading Pete on. I think she honestly thought she loved this guy, and that he would make her happy for the rest of her life. She was looking for whatever void she felt to be fixed and filled, and Pete was a willing, ready and loving candidate. She'd resolved these issues in her head and then Pete came along.

I'd like to think it was more coincidence than anything, and that she didn't actively seek someone to fill that void. I'd like to think that the timing of Pete's entrance into her life was such that it coincided with her personal decisions, and Impulsive and Unlucky in Love Carter merely jumped at the opportunity to move on while she still had the chance.

While I think he was immature and a little on the clingy side (surely too clingy for Sam), I don't think he was a bad guy. They just weren't compatible.

Sam's little rant at the guys in that one ep (Affinity? Everyone's fave? ) held quite a bit of truth to it, if only because the writers were kinda placing her in this little domestic corner. I don't know if that was intentional, or if it was simply a weird way of writing Sam's love life, but it ended rather awkwardly - especially when it wasn't even concluded with the guy for whom she evidently broke up with Pete.

Sometimes the writers lack the follow through required to maintain a character's credibility, and they can't seem to see the forest for the trees. As a result, as Ooobs has said so well before, Sam has come off as quite wishy-washy. All of the angst with the Pete/Sam/Jack love triangle was pointless, because they never resolved it.

I say that because it seems like Pete was thrown in there, not only to show that Sam dated (and wasn't a Black Widow), but also to provide conflict for Sam and Jack. I hate to do it to the non-S/J shippers in here, but that is what it seemed like to me. Sam never had any awkward moments regarding Pete with anyone but Jack. And I just don't see the point of bringing in this all-encompassing love interest that went on for nearly a season and half, just so they could have her break it off with him because she's in love with someone else, and then NOT resolve that part of the arc. It's pointless. And, quite frankly, damaging to the character. Not Jack, not anyone else. Only Sam.

I would've loved to see Sam do something really cool instead - something shipless - during those episodes that featured Pete Shanahan, if they were never going to bring up Sam/Jack in a serious light again. It probably would've provided some more development for the character, instead of the beginning of some sort of wacked out regression.

/tangent
        My sentiments exactly. I didn't hate the fact that they[the writers] allowed Sam to be involved in a relationship, but I truly detested the fact that Sam accepted Pete's proposal. It was so obvious to me that she was uneasy about the whole thing the moment he handed her the ring. Honestly, if you have to take two or three weeks to figure out if this is the man you want to spend your life with then I think deep down you really don't want to do it. Sam may have toyed with the idea of getting married and deep down it may be something that she wants, but I don't think she ever wanted it with Pete. Personally, if they wanted Sam to deal with getting Jack off her mind then they should have just had Sam dating several different men ( really good looking ones ) and test the waters rather than put her in relationship like they did with Pete because it was obvious that the writers were going nowhere with the storyline and the way the storyling was written it just ended up weakening Sam's character in many fans eyes by making her seem wishy-washy and very unsure of herself.

To me, Pete was never any competition to Jack. I think I even recall RDA saying something similar. The writers knew it and so did the fans so what was the real point of it all? Just to make Sam question herself? Question her feelings for Jack and whether she was ready for a grown up relationship? I would have preferred to see her date several different men and start to feel more comfortable and confident about herself rather than see her become even more angsty and unsure about herself and her relationship with Pete. Oh well, it's all in the past now and not much anyone can do about it. Hopefully whatever the writers do this season won't make Sam take any more steps backwards. If they do manage to finally put Sam and Jack together in S10, then I hope to god it's Jack that goes to Sam and makes the first move rather than the other way around, because she doesn't need any more storylines written where she looks as if she's pining over Jack. I never thought she was pining over Jack, but's it's obvious that many of the fanbase did. I like the strength and confidence I've seen in Sam in S9. It's about the most postive thing I can say about the season and I hope none of that is lost in S10.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 02 July 2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
          If you think about it, she never really had awkward moments with anybody over Pete (except Jack) b/c he was never really mentioned around anyone else! I would have liked to see Daniel or Teal'c react to this engagement. What did they think?
          Well I think she really had an awkward moment with Daniel and Teal'c about Pete.
          Spoiler:
          (and now I am really having a problem... I really don't know what ep it was, shame on me, I think it is affinity) When they are talking about the fact that you have to be with someone that it is not normal for a woman to be single. And Daniel tells that story about that woman even marry when they are dead. And Teal'c and Daniel really look strange to sam and ask her how is Pete and she really answers very very dry.

Comment

there was that little one in New ORder, when sam is trying to talk to teal'c about ry'ac and he is in no mood for her small talk...so he asks her about pete...which shuts her right up

lovely friendship moment there. they know how to punch each others buttons

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              My sentiments exactly. I didn't hate the fact that they[the writers] allowed Sam to be involved in a relationship, but I truly detested the fact that Sam accepted Pete's proposal. It was so obvious to me that she was uneasy about the whole thing the moment he handed her the ring. Honestly, if you have to take two or three weeks to figure out if this is the man you want to spend your life with then I think deep down you really don't want to do it. Sam may have toyed with the idea of getting married and deep down it may be something that she wants, but I don't think she ever wanted it with Pete. Personally, if they wanted Sam to deal with getting Jack off her mind then they should have just had Sam dating several different men ( really good looking ones ) and test the waters rather than put her in relationship like they did with Pete because it was obvious that the writers were going nowhere with the storyline and the way the storyline was written it just ended up weakening Sam's character in many fans eyes by making her seem wishy-washy and very unsure of herself.
              To me, Pete was never any competition to Jack. I think I even recall RDA saying something similar. The writers knew it and so did the fans so what was the real point of it all? Just to make Sam question herself? Question her feelings for Jack and whether she was ready for a grown up relationship? I would have preferred to see her date several different men and start to feel more comfortable and confident about herself rather than see her become even more angsty and unsure about herself and her relationship with Pete. Oh well, it's all in the past now and not much anyone can do about it. Hopefully whatever the writers do this season won't make Sam take any more steps backwards. If they do manage to finally put Sam and Jack together in S10, then I hope to god it's Jack that goes to Sam and makes the first move rather than the other way around, because she doesn't need any more storylines written where she looks as if she's pining over Jack. I never thought she was pining over Jack, but's it's obvious that many of the fanbase did. I like the strength and confidence I've seen in Sam in S9. It's about the most positive thing I can say about the season and I hope none of that is lost in S10.
              Kat, this is so well said. That was what bothered me too. Instead of opening Sam up to her personal life and choices, the writers boxed her in with one relationship which seemed like a dead-end from the start as soon as Pete rushed out of the bedroom and got on his cell phone for a background check.

From then on, every scene having to do with Pete began to reflect a more and more uncertain Sam ... and her vulnerability was used against her by many of the fanbase. AT had to deliver on the scripts presented her and loved working with DDL so she tried hard to provide lemonade. Unfortunately, the lemons were way too sour for my taste!

To make matters worse, the writers began to show a somewhat disinterested/aloof Jack in the scenes with Sam and AT's worst fear came true: she never wanted Sam to be seen as some "girly girl pining for her CO". It should never have come to this.

S9, Sam returns. Lots of changes and new dynamics. AT, being the professional she is, finds her groove and once again makes lemonade. This time, though, she sweetens it up by confidently inserting a quiet but commanding presence in each scene as the season "wears" on ....

She is not given much to do but, wow, does she deliver by the end of the season. She has her character nailed down pat. She has had nine years to live in Sam's skin, whereas the newbies are floundering all over the place trying to become whoever the writers want them to be. Can we say identity crisis here?

We, Amanda's fans, are disillusioned and disappointed at the Sam-light version of S9 but we start to discover that Amanda is still invested in Sam and sending out subtle signals. Carter's sense of self as dependable, mature and in control gives us hope. She has loved and learned, experienced personal loss and loss of command, but maintains her composure and stature throughout. In S9, she personifies "grace under pressure".

Let's see if S10 brings her back full circle to the Sam Carter of the early seasons - the Sam Carter we all so admire and so sorely miss!

Last edited by ChopinGal; 02 July 2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Kat, this is so well said. That was what bothered me too. Instead of opening Sam up to her personal life and choices, the writers boxed her in with one relationship which seemed like a dead-end from the start as soon as Pete rushed out of the bedroom and got on his cell phone for a background check.

From then on, every scene having to do with Pete began to reflect a more and more uncertain Sam ... and her vulnerability was used against her by many of the fanbase. AT had to deliver on the scripts presented her and loved working with DDL so she tried hard to provide lemonade. Unfortunately, the lemons were way too sour for my taste!

To make matters worse, the writers began to show a somewhat disinterested/aloof Jack in the scenes with Sam and AT's worst fear came true: she never wanted Sam to be seen as some "girly girl pining for her CO". It should never have come to this.

S9, Sam returns. Lots of changes and new dynamics. AT, being the professional she is, finds her groove and once again makes lemonade. This time, though, she sweetens it up by confidently inserting a quiet but commanding presence in each scene as the season "wears" on ....

She is not given much to do but, wow, does she deliver by the end of the season. She has her character nailed down pat. She has had nine years to live in Sam's skin, whereas the newbies are floundering all over the place trying to become whoever the writers want them to be. Can we say identity crisis here?

We, Amanda's fans, are disillusioned and disappointed at the Sam-light version of S9 but we start to discover that Amanda is still invested in Sam and sending out subtle signals. Carter's sense of self as dependable, mature and in control gives us hope. She has loved and learned, experienced personal loss and loss of command, but maintains her composure and stature throughout. In S9, she personifies "grace under pressure".

Let's see if S10 brings her back full circle to the Sam Carter of the early seasons - the Sam Carter we all so admire and so sorely miss!

wonderful post CG - Maybe Astro has some blue jello??

Comment

Amen to all of the above! *Raises a glass of blue jell-o to the Sam we know and love in S10!*
                  Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                    Well I think she really had an awkward moment with Daniel and Teal'c about Pete.
                    Spoiler:
                    (and now I am really having a problem... I really don't know what ep it was, shame on me, I think it is affinity) When they are talking about the fact that you have to be with someone that it is not normal for a woman to be single. And Daniel tells that story about that woman even marry when they are dead. And Teal'c and Daniel really look strange to sam and ask her how is Pete and she really answers very very dry.
                    Spoiler:
                    Yeah, but Daniel asked "How's things"-not directly about Pete. They could deduce that he was on her mind I suppose. She certainly seemed upset with her personal life in that scene, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Oh well, it's all in the past now and not much anyone can do about it. Hopefully whatever the writers do this season won't make Sam take any more steps backwards. If they do manage to finally put Sam and Jack together in S10, then I hope to god it's Jack that goes to Sam and makes the first move rather than the other way around, because she doesn't need any more storylines written where she looks as if she's pining over Jack. I never thought she was pining over Jack, but's it's obvious that many of the fanbase did. I like the strength and confidence I've seen in Sam in S9. It's about the most postive thing I can say about the season and I hope none of that is lost in S10.
                      Well, it always seemed to me Jack was much more obvious about his feelings than Sam. So I think he'll make the first move, if it happens(please!!). I've never seen her as pining over Jack-but you knew she cared more than she was supposed to. Same for him. They don't pine-thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

A blue jello worthy post!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil

Although, I do like the theory someone had (i'm sorry I don't remember who) that she perhaps expected more of a blow up because of Jonas. It has merit, but it doesn't take away from what it appeared to be.

there's another way of thinking about this...

pete made a very big deal out of their relay. he lead/pushed it all the way, right up to the point of buying that house. so, if i were sam, i'd have wondered why, with how hard he fought to woo me, win me over, and try to marry me, that he'd so easily let me go. no pleading, no getting freaked out and yelling, just an easy, 'i hope you get what you want' line.

i 'think' that sam was so caught up in her inner turmoils, that she missed really 'knowing' pete, because she was legitimately surprised that he let it all go so easily. she really didn't see 'him' seeing seeing her reservations. 'he' saw this coming, but she didn't see that he saw the truth.

this is just an idea, which has been discussed a LOT on the shipper thread.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                            Well, it always seemed to me Jack was much more obvious about his feelings than Sam. So I think he'll make the first move, if it happens(please!!). I've never seen her as pining over Jack-but you knew she cared more than she was supposed to. Same for him. They don't pine-thank God.
                            But on the flipside, Jack might be worried about hurting Sam's career. Even if there are no official obstacles to them being together if they are no longer in the same chain of command, I could see the court of public opinion being much harsher on Sam than on Jack.

He might worry that Sam's achievements, as well as the promotions and commendations she earned while under his command might be questioned by her colleagues.

Cool, post 3,000.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

see, i don't see jackmaking the first move.

IMHO, he's already done that.

in D&C, she found out that he had feelins. And that they were still there in BTS, and are still simmering under the surface.

and she keeps him at arm's length. she's set the boundaries

he's also made a step or two with his 'always'.

in fact, all those tha say that she's pining for him...heck if anyone's pining, it's jack. he's waiting for her and is apparantly in no mood to move on

so i think that sam needs to make the first move. She needs to open the door to that room. because he will respect her decision even if he hates it

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by ForeverSg1:
                                To me, Pete was never any competition to Jack. I think I even recall RDA saying something similar. The writers knew it and so did the fans so what was the real point of it all? Just to make Sam question herself? Question her feelings for Jack and whether she was ready for a grown up relationship? I would have preferred to see her date several different men and start to feel more comfortable and confident about herself rather than see her become even more angsty and unsure about herself and her relationship with Pete. Oh well, it's all in the past now and not much anyone can do about it. Hopefully whatever the writers do this season won't make Sam take any more steps backwards. If they do manage to finally put Sam and Jack together in S10, then I hope to god it's Jack that goes to Sam and makes the first move rather than the other way around, because she doesn't need any more storylines written where she looks as if she's pining over Jack. I never thought she was pining over Jack, but's it's obvious that many of the fanbase did. I like the strength and confidence I've seen in Sam in S9. It's about the most postive thing I can say about the season and I hope none of that is lost in S10.
                                I know I've said this before, but this is why out of all the stuff SG1 has put forth over the last nine years, I have the hardest time seperating Pete as a character and as a story arc from the production concerns that lead to his existence. Given the general flow and progression of season seven, given the giant lengths that TPTB went to in order to make Sam's and Jack's relationship a major part the last ten episodes of that season, I can't help but view Pete primarily as a functional tool in the story. Whether fans are for or against a Sam/Jack relationship, there is no questioning that the writers made a concerted effort to move the two characters closer emotionally in a very short space of time. These scenes exist in Evolution 2, surely in Grace, even in Chimera, Heroes 1, Heroes 2, Death Knell, Lost City 1, and Lost City 2. That's eight out of ten episodes. All of this comes at a time when the producers are yet again 99% certain that Lost City will end the series and everyone will move on to a SG1 movie that will segue into Atlantis. Alas, even Apophis is easier to kill than Stargate SG-1.

What I'm trying to get at here is that I believe that Chimera was supposed to end just as many fans expected it to. Sam was supposed to have this great relationship. Her job was supposed to get in the way and cause trouble. She was supposed to get to a place where she realized that keeping something like the SGC a secret from her would-be partner was an impossible burden to overcome. And she was supposed to cut Pete loose at the end of Chimera. Ultimately, I think all of this was supposed to highlight the inevitable compatibility of Sam and Jack. Otherwise, Chimera remains this niggling abberation in what is undoubtably a consistently drawn side-arc for Sam's character in season seven.

It was only the season eight pick up that led to Sam's continuing relationship with Pete. All of a sudden the writers needed a way to drag out the sexual tension for another year. Pete was the easy answer to that problem. He's purely a production concern, no different from replacing Martouf with Elliot in Last Stand, adding Mckay to Redemption to cover RDA's absence, or substituting Cameron Bright for Sean Patrick Flannery. It was one of those instances that I wish didn't happen so often where production concerns outweighed any desire for story or character consistency. I don't buy into the theory that Pete stuck around because he was played by Peter DeLuise's brother, mostly because I think David DeLuise was a last resort for casting Pete. He was actually helping them out when he took the role. I do, however, think that some of the writers *cough*Damien Kindler*cough* took exception to the fact that Pete was percieved by many fans (not just shippers) as an intruding, untrustworthy sort of fellow following Chimera. That perception of the character took the writers by surprise, and it can only be seen as an error in characterization that has its roots in the script. As such, it's hard to view that particular bit of writing as anything but shoddy. Certainly no one wanted Pete to be an unlikable character. But he was, and he was part of a storyline that most fans, whatever their fannish inclinations, wanted to end as soon as possible.

Anyway, that's why Pete exists. Sam and Jack couldn't wrap it up when it was orginally planned. Hence, an obstacle was needed. Don't try to read anymore into it. Further attempts to assign meaning or importance to anything about Pete always seem unsatistfying because they don't exist. When Amanda Tapping finds herself questioning why any of this is included in the show, it's time to throw in the towel, take it as a necessary evil, and move on.

And just to tack something else on here, I really like the dialogue and performances in the breakup scene in Threads. The "that's it?" line is entirely apt. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, knew that nothing about Pete's and Sam's relationship was going to end well. It's an uncomfortable scene; the characters are uncomfortable and wish it didn't have to happen, and the same holds true for viewers. To end things any happier or easier would have been too easy. It would have been a cop out from the writers and it would have been too easy an out for Sam. Such a scene wouldn't even pretend to be realistic; it would have been a pitiful tableau. The scene as it plays out also allows you to see Carter at a slightly askew angle, one that none of the characters usually gets to be seen from. You learn a little more about Carter in that scene. How can that not be worth it?
                                Last edited by golfbooy; 02 July 2006, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X