Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Spoiler:

Well, that was my point. 200 is a throwaway episode. The wedding will be some sort of fantasy sequence, you know when they are suggesting plot lines for Wormhole Xtreme. I really, truly doubt that the wedding will be real. Although, I'd absolutely *love* it if, at the end of the series, we had Colonel O'Neill leading SG1. Colonel Sam O'Neill, that is

i'd love that too, tracy jane! (it would be kissing two birds with one pair of lips ).

but really, YES!!

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

The following quotes are excerpts from a vid clip that someone kindly posted at the Celeeb Poll AT voting page. I thought these sections were great and wanted to share them with everyone on the thread

Amanda Tapping: The thing for me with this character is that she’s a cross between Jack O’Neill and Daniel Jackson. She is the perfect hybrid of these two men, she’s got a military base, she’s a Captain in the Air Force, she fought in the Gulf War. She’s also a theoretical astrophysicist, so her scientific background is very strong. So she skirts this line, which for me creates great conflict to play because it’s, you know, ‘Do I go the scientific route?’ or ‘Do I go with military protocol?’ And so she gets to play opposite both men and have strengths with each of them.

- I thought she stated that superbly!

Jonathan Glassner, Executive Producer: Amanda Tapping as Samantha Carter…, she couldn’t be more perfect for the part, because we needed a woman who could be very strong, who you could buy as a soldier, someone who’d had combat training and actually been in wars, and who is a brilliant scientist, and who is a beautiful woman. And finding an actress who can do all three of those things convincingly is very difficult.

Amanda Tapping: I didn’t realize when I took it on that it going to be such an action-adventure scifi show… you know, I thought it was going to be more intellectually based (laughs a little) in terms of my character being the scientist and I’d be struggling with these scientific problems. But now, on the show, it’s become this great physical show for me, which I never imagined myself doing. So for me, that’s a great challenge, it’s also a great gift, you know to be given something like this - as a woman especially, to be given this.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 01 July 2006, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        The following quotes are excerpts from a vid clip that someone kindly posted at the Celeeb Poll AT voting page. I thought these sections were great and wanted to share them with everyone on the thread

Amanda Tapping: The thing for me with this character is that she’s a cross between Jack O’Neill and Daniel Jackson. She is the perfect hybrid of these two men, she’s got a military base, she’s a Captain in the Air Force, she fought in the Gulf War. She’s also a theoretical astrophysicist, so her scientific background is very strong. So she skirts this line, which for me creates great conflict to play because it’s, you know, ‘Do I go the scientific route?’ or ‘Do I go with military protocol?’ And so she gets to play opposite both men and have strengths with each of them.

Jonathan Glassner, Executive Producer: Amanda Tapping as Samantha Carter…, she couldn’t be more perfect for the part, because we needed a woman who could be very strong, who you could buy as a soldier, someone who’d had combat training and actually been in wars, and who is a brilliant scientist, and who is a beautiful woman. And finding an actress who can do all three of those things convincingly is very difficult.

Amanda Tapping: I didn’t realize when I took it on that it going to be such an action-adventure scifi show… you know, I thought it was going to be more intellectually based (laughs a little) in terms of my character being the scientist and I’d be struggling with these scientific problems. But now, on the show, it’s become this great physical show for me, which I never imagined myself doing. So for me, that’s a great challenge, it’s also a great gift, you know to be given something like this, you know, as a woman especially, to be given this.

My how times change.

Suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Amanda Tapping: I didn’t realize when I took it on that it going to be such an action-adventure scifi show… you know, I thought it was going to be more intellectually based (laughs a little) in terms of my character being the scientist and I’d be struggling with these scientific problems. But now, on the show, it’s become this great physical show for me, which I never imagined myself doing. So for me, that’s a great challenge, it’s also a great gift, you know to be given something like this - as a woman especially, to be given this.

Amanda has so much class. I have that DVD, and my daughter has watched that segment many times. She is a big Sam fan, so I am grateful that Amanda is a good role model. Hollywood has so many poor role models for little girls. It is such a relief for me and my husband that our daughter found a positive one.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
            Wow. When I posted this link last Saturday afternoon, I had no idea it would catch on. Amanda was in 39th place and losing ground. I couldn't stand to see that happen, so I called in reinforcements. I was scared people would get upset, that they wouldn't appreciate me posting a link to a 'silly poll'. I thought a few votes would trickle in- but I was WRONG! In a good way, of course. Around 5 p.m. Saturday June 24th(central standard time) Amanda had maybe 2,500 votes, give or take. By 2 a.m. Saturday July 1st at the close of the poll, she had reached the 8th spot with almost 24,000 votes(23,993 to be exact).

Not long after the link was up, other fans posted it on other sites. Soon, not only were Samandans voting, AT.com was there as well as a host of other AT fans. We were coming together to support our girl.

I wonder if Amanda will ever know about the party we threw in her honor. And what a party it was! We had videos-many thanks to our VJs!!! We had guess the quote and even chatted using episode names. We talked about Amanda-when we first saw her and just generally how great she is-all while click click clicking away.

We were SO positive the whole time. We knew AT/SC would never dodge a challenge, and we weren't either. Amanda fans are some dedicated people! We had folks from all over the world-from Australia to Belgium to the UK to all across America and Canada-voting day and night for her. People went without sleep, recruited family and even neighbors, and voted on multiple computers within their homes(great exercise by the way). Mandy's cat was even on the verge of learning how to use a mouse!

AT is generous and so are her fans. We helped out other voters that needed a hand. How many of us knew who Lacuna Coil was before this week? And how many more people know about Amanda Tapping thanks to her fans' hard work?

Probably the most touching thing about the voting was how we reached out to RDA. We had made our goal, and realistically couldn't make the next place with only a few hours left. Some of us alternated votes, some posted links at RDA sites, some voted exclusively for RDA. At any rate, we stayed ahead and managed to give RDA the boost he needed. In the last 30 minutes we even bumped Michael Shanks up a notch. AT fans are giving, like Amanda herself!

So maybe Amanda didn't get #1, but you know what? Moving from 39th to 8th in such a short time was a far greater feat than those that placed above us, who had been sitting securely in their places for weeks. What an amazing show of love and devotion by AT fans! Not just any actress has such an amazing fan base- and the fan base is only as amazing as the actress. Her forum was a party 24/7-nowhere else I went had such constant fan support.

Sure, it was just a fun poll. TPTB might not ever see it and nothing may ever come out of it. That's too bad, really. We love Sam Carter the same, if not more, than we did 10 years ago. They should see we still cherish such a wonderful character, played by an equally amazing woman. This was such a morale booster and a great way to get the word out about Amanda! Next month I say we get her to #1! She deserves that spot-and I am being 100% honest about that. I have never seen a better actress...not in the movies and not on TV. She's top notch, classy, a gem, shall I keep going?

I want to take a moment to thank EVERYONE that voted. You didn’t have to, yet you spent your time and effort to do it. We probably have crooks in our necks and cramps in our fingers, but what a ride! Not only did we spend the last week promoting our favorite actress, but as AT fans, I think we grew closer. We all worked together towards a common goal. It was great fun, and I hope to see you around next month.

Amanda, we at Samanda-and all your fans-want you to know we love you! This wasn't much, but it was a small way to say thanks for all the time you've spent on the show, for what you've done for us. In the end, Lizlove said it best:

Changing the world one smile at a time...

Thanks Amanda.

WOW no 8, i think we did her proud and what a great post, i really hope Amanda does get to read this.
            ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
              No, it's not a very nice thing to do, but a very human thing to do. After "Grace" Sam decided to "get a life" and "let go of the things that were preventing her from being unhappy". Somewhere in there, she thought that meant letting go of Jack. So in true Sam fashion she gave it her best shot. I think she really wanted it to work with Pete, and that's why she accepted his proposal. But once she realized her true motivations, she couldn't continue the facade any longer. So she did the right thing and broke it off.
              I agree it was human. My point here is that Sam is not a victim to Pete, as the whole 'stalking' thing implies - if only in name. She lead the poor guy on for a while, even when she knew it wasn't right. And yes, it was human. But in the end it isn't something I can get behind and say it was a nice thing to do, considering the fact she still had feelings for someone else.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a character I happen to love doing something so profoundly human and stupid when it comes to love and emotional intamacy. I personally think it just provides another dimension to her character.
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Oh yeah, Sam's always sucked in the relationship department. It's a great part of her character, the fallibility that AT's mentioned in the past. It might've been an unintentional result of S/J pimpage (or whatever floats one's boat), but it works, and I think AT played it well.

Though I'm not quite sure I can say that Sam was willfully leading Pete on. I think she honestly thought she loved this guy, and that he would make her happy for the rest of her life. She was looking for whatever void she felt to be fixed and filled, and Pete was a willing, ready and loving candidate. She'd resolved these issues in her head and then Pete came along.

I'd like to think it was more coincidence than anything, and that she didn't actively seek someone to fill that void. I'd like to think that the timing of Pete's entrance into her life was such that it coincided with her personal decisions, and Impulsive and Unlucky in Love Carter merely jumped at the opportunity to move on while she still had the chance.

While I think he was immature and a little on the clingy side (surely too clingy for Sam), I don't think he was a bad guy. They just weren't compatible.

Sam's little rant at the guys in that one ep (Affinity? Everyone's fave? ) held quite a bit of truth to it, if only because the writers were kinda placing her in this little domestic corner. I don't know if that was intentional, or if it was simply a weird way of writing Sam's love life, but it ended rather awkwardly - especially when it wasn't even concluded with the guy for whom she evidently broke up with Pete.

Sometimes the writers lack the follow through required to maintain a character's credibility, and they can't seem to see the forest for the trees. As a result, as Ooobs has said so well before, Sam has come off as quite wishy-washy. All of the angst with the Pete/Sam/Jack love triangle was pointless, because they never resolved it.

I say that because it seems like Pete was thrown in there, not only to show that Sam dated (and wasn't a Black Widow), but also to provide conflict for Sam and Jack. I hate to do it to the non-S/J shippers in here, but that is what it seemed like to me. Sam never had any awkward moments regarding Pete with anyone but Jack. And I just don't see the point of bringing in this all-encompassing love interest that went on for nearly a season and half, just so they could have her break it off with him because she's in love with someone else, and then NOT resolve that part of the arc. It's pointless. And, quite frankly, damaging to the character. Not Jack, not anyone else. Only Sam.

I would've loved to see Sam do something really cool instead - something shipless - during those episodes that featured Pete Shanahan, if they were never going to bring up Sam/Jack in a serious light again. It probably would've provided some more development for the character, instead of the beginning of some sort of wacked out regression.

/tangent

Comment

Originally posted by spaz
                  Though I'm not quite sure I can say that Sam was willfully leading Pete on. I think she honestly thought she loved this guy, and that he would make her happy for the rest of her life. She was looking for whatever void she felt to be fixed and filled, and Pete was a willing, ready and loving candidate. She'd resolved these issues in her head and then Pete came along.
                  I very much agree. I don't think she willfully lead him onto until they were planning the wedding, until Threads. Everything up and until then I say she was in the relationship because she wanted to be there, because she loved the guy (but perhaps was never really actively 'in-love'), and he loved her, and he could love her in the way she needed at the time.

Honestly, I don't think she intended for things to go down the way that they did, and her fathers arrival, illness and death bought all her insecurities about the relationship to the foreground so she had to see them for what they were. But honestly, throughout Threads she was understandably distraught, but she also lead the guy on... It was very human of her, but it could have been handled better, and as Pete I would have felt like my guts had been ripped out. It all seemed rather sudden and yet kind of contrived. And then she whacks in the question of "Is that all?" and it just seemed so insensitive, so much like she expected more from him, even though she was taking it all away. I also found the location of where she told him very interesting...

Although, I do like the theory someone had (i'm sorry I don't remember who) that she perhaps expected more of a blow up because of Jonas. It has merit, but it doesn't take away from what it appeared to be.

But I do disagree with you spaz, I don't think the arc was pointless, nor do I think it damaged Sam as a character, I think it made her more human and gave her a chance at the white picket fence that Jack, Daniel and Teal'c had. Nor do I think that Pete and Sam existed only to highlight Jack and Sam. Sure, Jack had awkward moments over it, they both did, but notice how he still is open and honest with her about marrying the guy? Notice how he wants her to be happy?

I just love how we can all watch the same thing and see something completely different out of it - but I also depends on how into each 'ship you are as to what you see... if that makes sense.
                  Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Okay, what is the script re the season 3 poll? Do we post our comments on just the poll thread or do we copy them here as well? Astro are you compiling the polls into one document like you did with the previous Polls we put into the Red Book?

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                      <snippety do dah>
                      I also found the location of where she told him very interesting...
                      I'm curious Deevil why do you find the location interesting?

I know what I would say to a bloke who had the audacity to put a deposit on a house without talking to me first, especially if I was having second thoughts about the relationship.

I found the whole Sam / Pete thing just ......... off. Sam seemed to be OOC most of the time and while I wouldn't call Pete a stalker he had some very worrisome controlling characteristics.
                      -

Comment

Well times do change... I mean from everything I just read... I see nothing (or almost nothing) of it in season 9. What a change. where is that woman in season 9? where is that Samantha Carter. she just dissapeared.
                        I want back the sam from the previous season? She was an allround character. She had it all. Ok in the first seasons she was sometimes to perfect because she always found a solution for everything. But after a while she became more human.
                        I hope we can see that carter again... she made mistakes, she knew she did, and the way she handled it was great. the frustration she had of it. The sorrow.
                        And who made sam carter such a great character? well that is all because of AT, ok now you can say there could be others who can play samantha carter. but IMO no one can play sam better than AT. She is really sam. and the work she does just to be her is astronomical. She really loves playing (acting) sam and that you can see. I mean even is she is just in a little thing in the episode, she plays it with all her heart. Her devotion to it is just so great.
                        and what the writers have done with sam (and by that also with AT) is just to hard. I mean now she is just the girl and the scientist. nothing more nothing less.

Comment

Hi everyone...just popping in to say goodnight and to say how much fun I had voting for Amanda...actually I'm still voting so technically speaking I'm still having fun!!
                          I still don't know who Lacuna Coil is...can anyone tell me??
                          Anyhoo...it's pretty quiet here tonight so I'm going off to do some light reading and spend some quality time with the hubby before he leaves for the week...he's off to the country to work til later this week so I'm on my own with the kids!
                          Have a great night/day and I'll be back tomorrow!!! BYE!!

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                          I'm curious Deevil why do you find the location interesting?
                          I know what I would say to a bloke who had the audacity to put a deposit on a house without talking to me first, especially if I was having second thoughts about the relationship.
                          I found the whole Sam / Pete thing just ......... off. Sam seemed to be OOC most of the time and while I wouldn't call Pete a stalker he had some very worrisome controlling characteristics.
                          Exactly my thoughts on that ROX...I think they both wanted more in a relationship but they were both not prepared to give it to each other...they BOTH knew they weren't meant to be together forever...Jacob however knew that Jack was the man for Sam...he pretty much said so in Threads.
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Okay, this is slightly off topic, but does nayone know what happened to the series (Whistler) that Amanda was offered a role in? Has it aired and if so is it any good?

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                              Yes it is! England got knocked out of the World Cup today but half of our team were injured so it wasn't so terrible that we only made it to the quarter finals. And I've spent the last few hours talking about my obsession for the Chelsea skipper, Frank Lampard (he's the Frank in my sig pic!) - where I come from that's practically a crime punishable by death! (I live in Manchester and I am a Manchester United fan! :s)

I'm just spreading the love today, I can't even bring myself to hate the Stargate characters I once hated any more! I blame it on the overwhelming optimism on this thread and on the Shipper Family thread! *Does Amanda's famous Ralphie Wiggum accent* I love the world, I love the trees, I love the shippers and the anti-shippers too, I love Pete and Jack and Frank... GROUP HUG!

Yeah, I need help!
                              Back at you!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                                Okay, this is slightly off topic, but does nayone know what happened to the series (Whistler) that Amanda was offered a role in? Has it aired and if so is it any good?
                                To TWWRMS (the woman who reveals my secrets)

We do know that Amanda turned down the role and this was a Canadian TV series I believe ... maybe it just had a pilot and a few episodes made for past season. Very good question - Canadian friends, what happened to Whistler? Did it sink or swim?!

And, yes, I'm off to vote at celeeb.com right now!!

Comment

Working...
                                X