Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate gal
    I don't think we have to worry too much about the XF problem on SG-1. AT would probably leave before she would let them turn Sam into a wishy washy character. I know their were some poor decisions made by TPTB over going to deeply into her personal life a few seasons ago, and I think that season 9's lack of real Sam time was partially about trying to repair that damage. Maybe (and this is just a theory, please don't shoot) TPTB took some of the focus off of Sam in order to rebuild the damage already done. S9 was not that good, especially the first 5 episodes, but it did get a little better in the second half. I think we even got some pretty classic Sam in Arthur's Mantel and The Four Horsemen. I believe, even after reading all the spoilers, that Sam will be very prominent in S10. AT's interview on GW implied that.
    Nah I won't shoot you but I have to disagree

I honestly don't think TPTB think they "damaged" Sam's character and therefore they have nothing to fix. My theory is they took the focus off Sam & the original team because their new unqualified "hero" just doesn't measure up to them (I will not rant about Mitchell I will not rant about Mitchell I will not rant about Mitchell ).

Classic Sam in Arthur's Mantle and The Four Horsemen - umm did we watch the same show? It's funny how people can see the same thing so differently. What I saw was
    Spoiler:
    In Arthur's Mantle they had everyone BUT Sam do the technical stuff - she was just there and in The Four Horsemen, well, can we spell "babysitter"?

S9 was not good for Sam and I hope S10 will be better but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW do we have a smilie for holding your breath? I seem to be using that expression a lot lately.
    -

Comment

Actually I agree, we saw Classic Sam (albeit more playful in parts) in Arthurs Mantle. In the Forth Horsemen though? Ehh, I don't think so.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Fair enough. I know we can both agree that we hope season 10 will be much better.

AT is at 12 L.A.!
        Oh yeah!

Suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Me too! Why didn't they put Cassie in Heroes 2. I think we should have seen Cassie at the Memorial. It didn't feel right without her.

Originally posted by Skydiver
          i wonder if maybe the actress wasn't available.
          I think it is on the commentary that they said that the actress was not available. Cassie was written in the first draft but when they could not get the actress and since they had already had two different actresses play Cassie they did not want to have a third actress play the part.
          Last edited by tsaxlady; 29 June 2006, 01:53 AM.
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

[QUOTE=RealmOfX]
            Spoiler:
            In Arthur's Mantle they had everyone BUT Sam do the technical stuff - she was just there and in The Four Horsemen, well, can we spell "babysitter"?

QUOTE]

Spoiler:
            Maybe that's why they had Mitchell call her 'Mary Poppins'. (I'm still REALLY PO'd about that, IMO it was way out of line and totally uncalled for!)
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              The sad thing is the writers used Jack as a means to draw sympathy from the audience. They tried to write the episode in a way that those fans who didn't read spoilers would be utterly shocked by the ending. They wanted people to believe that Jack had died and to make us assume that Sam's emotional state was due to her feelings for Jack, but at the end we find out that it was Janet not Jack who died. So in my opinion, it was Janet's injury not Jack's that caused her distress throughout the episode.
              Agreed. If only the script hadn't tried to be overly clever, cheating the audience out of the catharsis that was supposed to be the point of the episode, apparently, in favor of the transparent "Is Jack really dead?!?!?" red herring.
              Oh, if only TPTB had eschewed that cheesy audience-misdirection device, which just ate up screen time from the Woolsey and Fraiser storylines. Imagine if Meridian had relegated Daniel's death to "B-plot" status or if the abbreviated version of Threads had kept the whole Battle of Dakara storyline but had further whittled down the Sam-Jacob and Sam-Jack stories ... or had not shown Daniel in the Ascended Diner until the second half-hour. That's the sort of colossal miscalculation Heroes, Pt. 2 was, IMO.
              Would there have been as much audience resentment if the Fraiser storyline hadn't been kicked to the curb in the fashion you describe? I really doubt it. And having Sam seem to forget her BFF for almost two full seasons didn't do Carter's character any favors either. At least Jacob got a shout-out in Ripple Effect, which suggests that the mistake of expunging dead characters from the show's memory bank won't be repeated ... I hope.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                Agreed. If only the script hadn't tried to be overly clever, cheating the audience out of the catharsis that was supposed to be the point of the episode, apparently, in favor of the transparent "Is Jack really dead?!?!?" red herring.
                Oh, if only TPTB had eschewed that cheesy audience-misdirection device,
                A colossal mistake, that misdirection device. They pulled the rug out from under the dramatic impact of their own plot. It's a classic no-no.
                scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                  Oooh...is that the time...I got a date with a certain General who keeps insisting we go fishing!!

EDIT: fixed up the IMG thingy for ya Sky...sorry bout that!
                  Last edited by Chelle DB; 29 June 2006, 02:37 AM.
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    Grumpy mod moment here

a) what part of 'don't bump' did y'all not get????? Please don't make me go all mod on you

b) those videos are cool and funny and make me want to see the whole thing, but please, please, please, stop quoting them. Pictures and videos like that should not be quoted. It's a rule that i probably don't enforce as much as i should, largely because we usually behave. But it is something worth mentioning

ok, i now return you to your Samming
                    Sorry Sky...I didn't get the memo! Won't bump again...I promise! Please don't be mad/grumpy. ((((Sky))))
                    Think I won't quote anything for a while cos I'm not sure if I did something wrong there? Sorry if I did bad! ((((Sky again))))
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Is everyone still voting?? I reackon we could get her to #1 if we really pushed it!! Anyhoo...have a great day/night everyone!! Gonna go and have some coffee...SG1 s9 starts at 11pm tonight and I'm not gonna miss it!! YeeHaaa!!!

I love Amanda...she's just so brilliant!!
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

chelle, it's strange how that picture makes me want to click that button even more! Hurry up 5 minutes!!!!

Comment

Oh I know...she's so gorgeous.
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Where is everyone?? I hope you're all voting!!!! Night all...signing off for now...might be back later tonight...if not...hopefully tomorrow night!
                            Keep voting....keep voting....keep voting!!!! BYE BYE!!

Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              Is it even possible for it to get worse?
                              Oh I hope not.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                so, you never watched angel then no? or x-files? or voyager? (i know a lot of people don't think these shows ever got all that bad, but personally, i stopped watching x files in season 6 i think, voyager around season 5 and i don't want to talk about angel, unless its about the puppet episode. )
                                While I do think X-Files should have ended at S6 (that was such a great conclusion) I didn't mind the rest of it. It wasn't as good, but I thought that at least Doggett and Reyes were in character for the show. They weren't OTT and Doggett was in no way a Mulder wanna be. Scully was a little off, but still it wasn't too bad imo.

Voyager, I enjoyed up until the last episode, which I found thoroughly disappointing. While it did become the 7 or 9 show, the storylines were still good imo.

Right now, with SG1, not only do we have OTT characters, we have really bad storytelling, so there's nowhere to go but up I think (or I hope at least)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X