Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX
    So she engages that genius brain of hers and gates out with the next scheduled team and gates from that planet onwards. See - doesn't cost anything extra!!

I mean "What's a girl to do?"
    i'm always surprised when they seem to only send one team (or mission, if its a number of teams) through per wormhole. especially since i don't think they go through with they're MALP. guess they don't want to play gate jumpers all over the galaxy.
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
      I loved it... really really loved it... thanx for making the vid.
      It was really funny...didn't fid it dark or anything just funny... maybe cause the song is rather funny
      Thank you! *G* I'm so glad you liked my vid! I love that song and I have been formulating how it would go so well with those two eps for a while now. When Sam is forced to drink the Blood of Sokar... wow. I thought her acting was superb there and made the torture seem so very convincing. Pus... how cute was Sam with her dad at the end? I love those little moments with her and Jacob that truly establish a father daughter bond.

I like hearing all the favorite Sam/AT moments... I had forgotten about some of them and now I want to go back and rewatch a few episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
        i think that may be more of a tok'ra end problem than an SGC one. that whole secrecy, we're on the run, "don't call us, we'll call you" thing.
        yeah true but still Sam do want to see her dad I guess so maybe sometime he let her know where she is and she go and visit them... Or doesn't she. Otherwise I find it sad that she barely see her dad.

Originally posted by Nibikko
        Thank you! *G* I'm so glad you liked my vid! I love that song and I have been formulating how it would go so well with those two eps for a while now. When Sam is forced to drink the Blood of Sokar... wow. I thought her acting was superb there and made the torture seem so very convincing. Pus... how cute was Sam with her dad at the end? I love those little moments with her and Jacob that truly establish a father daughter bond.

I like hearing all the favorite Sam/AT moments... I had forgotten about some of them and now I want to go back and rewatch a few episodes.
        yeah the end is really cute, but I really liked the hole episode of it (well the two episodes)

And if we are talking about torturing how about when she is tortured in New Order... there you can see how scared she is and that she really is in a lot of pain... I like that scene

Comment

yeah true but still Sam do want to see her dad I guess so maybe sometime he let her know where she is and she go and visit them... Or doesn't she. Otherwise I find it sad that she barely see her dad.
          i'm not sure its up to him, honestly. and if it is, he'd put the saftey of the tok'ra above visiting his daughter. but you're right, it's sad.
          Originally posted by RepliCarterje
          yeah the end is really cute, but I really liked the hole episode of it (well the two episodes)

And if we are talking about torturing how about when she is tortured in New Order... there you can see how scared she is and that she really is in a lot of pain... I like that scene
          that's a major thing i like about AT's acting in trumatic situations. stargate has a habit of not showing us the fallout, but AT manages to get it across rather well anyway.
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
            Yea, they're not bad, but some of the pics have been airbrushed beyond recognition, unfortunately. I looked at one of them and went "huh? Are they the stand ins?"
            Yes, I expressed my feelings about this airbrushing over on the rage thread.

It just saddens me that the promo pictures have the characters, imo especially Vala and Teal'c, looking so unrecognizable.

CJ looks...just really odd. Not at all his normal, attractive self. And CB looks so plastic, especially in the CB only pictures. IMO a disservice to the actress.

AT managed the best, I think, out of all of them. She looks the most natural. And I agree with whoever said it. She needs no airbrushing. (Niether, imo, did CB.) BB got the brush treatment too, and it's unfortunate because I thought he would have looked better without. They all, with the exception of AT, seems so plastic.

Comment

She really draws you in with those scenes. (Or really with any of her scenes). I know actors are supposed to be able to do this, but AT really becomes the character. You don't watch a scene and think "oh, that's a good acting job," but after the show you might say "wow, she was really good." And certainly after multiple viewings, we can pick out favorite moments.

I read somewhere (something to the effect) that she doesn't like torture scenes because she's afraid she'll look stupid, but that her philosophy is that she just has to go with it and not worry about how it looks. In the commentary for New Order
              Spoiler:
              (if I'm remembering right) I think Gary Jones asks if she was really crying & the director said yeah & that it was a difficult scene for her esp. with the crew all around etc, but how great a job she did.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis_babe34
                i just had to show this pic.. i love the emotion on her face

it big so i spoilered it but its Season 4- the other side

Spoiler:

i love the look on her face.. i have so close ups maybe i should post those...
                Yeah. AT spoke volumes with that look, didn't she? I can read a different emotion in there every time I see it. Disallusionment, anger, sadness, disappointment, understanding.

Great job by AT.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  Yeah, AD, you're so right. It's been over a year since I've watched that particular scene, but you make a really valid point. I didn't see that the first couple of times I watched. I really got caught up in that long, intense look because it was so different (for them). And I also equated it with Sam putting off any and all question or wondering about Jack's motivation until after they followed his lead to the very end. Pure faith in his leadership. So much happened in there, and then at the end of it all, once that leader-guy was dead and they were back, everything she hadn't said until that point came tumbling out in a single look. Now that you put it into the perspective of the life that was lost, I can see it even more powerfully. It's even better. Just a fabulous moment. I need to go watch it again, I think!

Here are some photos from Other Side. They are quite large so I put them in spoilers.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is one of my absolute favorite scenes and to me it's yet another example of why S9 is so lacking in my opinion without RDA around.

According to an excerpt in the Stargate Illustrated Companion S4-3:

Although he[Brad Wright] agrees that Alar "had it coming", the writer is bothered by one choice Richard Dean Anderson made, which Wright feels made quite a difference to how the ending was viewed. "After he had deliberately closed the iris, knowing he was committing Alar to death, he was supposed to have said, "This is where we came in.' In other words, O'Neill's justification was the Eurondans were mortibund. They were an inch away from their own doom and then we came in and brought them some time. My feeling is that the line would have helped to make the episode more symmetrical but, you know, writers are like that and actors aren't."

Personally, I think the way AT and RDA played that seen at the end without any discussion about what happened was shocking and stunning at the same time. The looks they both give one another left me questioning what they were truly thinking at that moment in time. I seem to recall reading an interview with Amanda where she stated that she tried to play it that Sam being utterly shocked by what O'Neill had just done, but understanding why he had made that decision; although I'm not so sure if Sam really would have done the same if it had been her call. I was just very fascinated with the fact that Brad Wright suggested RDA had that kind of control over an episode. I mean it's not as if BW is just a writer as he suggests. He an EP as well as the show runner. One would think that he would have had a bit more say in the matter if he had truly wanted. Which leads me to suspect after watching S9, that RDA had much more say in the show's editing process than most of us may have realized.
                  Last edited by ForeverSg1; 13 June 2006, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Teal'c is from offworld and they have to let him go see his family (that'd just be cruel otherwise). Carter's got no reason to go except leisure, so it'd be harder for her to get a green light. She'd only get it on the merit of TPTB deciding that she'd earned the right and granting it to her as a special favor on that basis, but given the amount of red-tape-beurocracy that's involved in all government levels, I doubt even the General could realistically give that to her without a lot of creatively convoluted paperwork. If she gated from another planet, she'd be AWOL, and I doubt Carter would do that for a leisure-activity. When Jack "retired" offworld it was a one way trip, ostensibly for good and he (supposedly) called in a few markers to get a yes (but we all know it was an elaborate military setup anyway so we don't know for sure he'd actually have been given permission if it was 'real').
                    She doesn't have to be AWOL to gate from offworld. She could have leave, and choose to take it offworld. If she's not costing the USAF any money, by hitching a wormhole with another team, she removes the financial objection to her Racing. She could use whatever planet the team was going to in order to 'gate to Hebridan, and use the Hebridan gate to get home. No need for Uncle Sam to fork out any cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                      She doesn't have to be AWOL to gate from offworld. She could have leave, and choose to take it offworld. If she's not costing the USAF any money, by hitching a wormhole with another team, she removes the financial objection to her Racing. She could use whatever planet the team was going to in order to 'gate to Hebridan, and use the Hebridan gate to get home. No need for Uncle Sam to fork out any cash.
                      yeah but what if the teams that are going off world go to a planet they have never been to(and that is most likely) she can't come with them cause it would be to dangerous for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                        If she's out there, she's on AF time, which means she doesn't get to make that choice. She doesn't get to many any choices other than the ones that comply with her orders. She's out there for a reason and she'd need special permission to leave that assignment and gate elsewhere for a spot of fun. If it's not already part of a mission and she just chooses to go off and gate somwehre else on her own, she'd be absent without leave (permission) - that's AWOL. Is what I meant. And somehow, I can't see Sam doing that in canon.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Although he[Brad Wright] agrees that Alar "had it coming", the writer is bothered by one choice Richard Dean Anderson made, which Wright feels made quite a difference to how the ending was viewed. "After he had deliberately closed the iris, knowing he was committing Alar to death, he was supposed to have said, "This is where we came in.' In other words, O'Neill's justification was the Eurondans were mortibund. They were an inch away from their own doom and then we came in and brought them some time. My feeling is that the line would have helped to make the episode more symmetrical but, you know, writers are like that and actors aren't."

Personally, I think the way AT and RDA played that seen at the end without any discussion about what happened was shocking and stunning at the same time. The looks they both give one another left me questioning what they were truly thinking at that moment in time. I seem to recall reading an interview with Amanda where she stated that she tried to play it that Sam being utterly shocked by what O'Neill had just done, but understanding why he had made that decision; although I'm not so sure if Sam really would have done the same if it had been her call. I was just very fascinated with the fact that Brad Wright suggested RDA had that kind of control over an episode. I mean it's not as if BW is just a writer as he suggests. He an EP as well as the show runner. One would think that he would have had a bit more say in the matter if he had truly wanted. Which leads me to suspect after watching S9, that RDA had much more say in the show's editing process than most of us may have realized.
                          I think you're right. I think he did, and based on the fact that he [Rick] was the proverbial lynch pin whereby the network would often agree to renew the series (based on his participation), that power was pretty great. Rightly or wrongly. I also think Brad probably looked at Rick as an equal, both of them senior participants (vis-a-vis their respective backgrounds and input) on the series. So I could see Brad acquiessing to Rick in that regard. Frankly? I liked the silent approach, too. I think it was the right choice, especially given the impact it had. To write more in there would have lessened the impact of that scene, in my personal opinion. So I guess it really is subjective.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

If this really is how the choice played out, then RDA knew what he was doing.

I don't miss RDA's presence as Jack (because I wasn't much of a Jack fan most of the time), but I do miss his presence as a producer.
                            scarimor

Comment

I'm not sure she did. Remember how much money they said it costs every time a team goes through the gate? Knowing how stingy the government would be with money for this kind of thing, I doubt she'd be cleared for a leisure visit, even if she HAS saved the world a hundred times.
                              It just puzzles me why they haven't hooked the gate up to one of Sam's naquada reactors by now, think of all the money they would save on their electric bill
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                It just puzzles me why they haven't hooked the gate up to one of Sam's naquada reactors by now, think of all the money they would save on their electric bill
                                maybe cause they don't have enought Naquadah to do it... and maybe there is a danger for explosions... pff I really don't know but I good thought there

Comment

Working...
                                X