Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam
    Haha, I have a newspaper clipping of Amanda in that Chimera dress at some function or another, and I remember seeing Sam in the dress for the first time and going "Uh, what!? Isn't that Amanda's!?" It was funny for me to find out how she'd brought it to set and said "I wanna wear this dress!" Amanda also has a motercycle herself, with the liscence and everything. SOOO cool! Apparantly though she's not allowed to ride it because of stupid insurance things with the show... as if car's aren't dangerous too

I've also noticed how she's been able to keep the navel ring hidden the whole time. Now that's some sneakiness for ya. She got it... after season 5!!! That's 3 years of keeping hidden, haha. I guess it's out now though, with the baby and everything. You know, stretchyness and such... *cough* yeah.

Thank you for the Amanda tidbits, and please keep it up!

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Since it's let's dress Sam night ... I have to say that two of my favorite outfits that showed Sam at home with herself were: Sam in the long white coat over her jeans and white T-shirt when she went to Jack's cabin in 20010, and Sam in the black leather jacket and red sweater when she and SG-1 went to O'Malley's in Upgrades. She seemed so right in those outfits - it really seemed to fit her personality - Sam and AT.
      Yes! I think those are my two fave as well. I also liked her flowery skirt and demin jacket in Chimera. I like Sam dressing more laid back, because... that's the way I dress.

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

HAHA!!! Is that TV Zone Mag only avaliable on the UK or anything? Because I always hear about these brilliant mags with interviews and pics everywhere, but I swear Canada just does NOT get them...!!!!
        I 'think' it's a British magazine?... Anyhoo, I got the inteviews from here, seeing as I'm a US chick and can't get the mags.

http://stargatedanielfriendly.net/ht...especial61.php

I snipped your entire Gemini review because I CAN'T SEE IT AGAIN UNTIL SCIFI AIRS IT BECAUSE MY CABLE COMPANY IS EVIL! EEEVIL!

*twitches*

But I'm very much looking forward to seeing AND RECORDING it again.

Did I mention my cable company was evil?

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

HAHA!!! Is that TV Zone Mag only avaliable on the UK or anything? Because I always hear about these brilliant mags with interviews and pics everywhere, but I swear Canada just does NOT get them...!!!!

Just commenting that that whole "I'm really hard to work with, I mean, what a pain in the ass" this is so fully Amanda, it's great

Spoilers Gemini

Spoiler:
          I TOTALLY saw how she made them physicallly different. Reppy's face was definately a lot more evil, and I thought her voice was a lot different. Smooth and sure and sneaky. My fave part of Gemini was Sam and Reppy's little "talk" in the blue crazy lights place. My fave lines

REppy: "I wanted to thank you"

and again Reppy "That's right."

If you can remember those exact parts, watch them again, and see how AMAZINGLY EVIL they are! Just the tone and pitch of her voice, with the fluxuations she put in, as well as the facial. The eyebrows, the eyes, the jaw, how her head was tilted.

OOH, as well the VERY last part in that blue place, where Reppy's like "I know what you're going to do before you even think about it" and Sam has an "oooh ^&$^)" face, and then it shows Reppy kind of tilt her head upwards, and blink. OMG IT WAS THE MOST FANTASTICALLY EVIL THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!! I don't know if it's just me, but it was so pristinely done, I squeal every time I see it!!!!!!

I agree Amanda's RC was so coolly evil with that slight smile that it really did make me shudder!
          I hope tptb don't dispatch RC to soon as i think she would make a very interesting foe.

I really hope Amanda gets to hear of this wonderful thread as aside from the fact that Sam is my favourite character Amanda really is
          a fantastic actress and i'll say it again that
          as a veiwer i like to see an actor act with their eyes as imho eyes say so much of what a person is feeling and to get that across to the
          veiwer makes me care more for that character.
          ......TARA......

Comment

Oh ummm found myself here again!!
            Gosh you were all busy posting last night!!

Re Sams Cloths - Thanks to astogeologist and Deepspace - what lovely, thoughtful and intelligent posts thanks 2u both for expanding my periphery. And everone else - Chopingal et al - some wonderful comments coming out - dare I say it I'm slowly changing my opinion - or at least agreeing with other perspectives!!

My current thinking is that if the direction on clothing is coming from MGM/Sci Fi to sex up Sam I'm dead against it. If it is a willingness of the writers and AT to show more of a fun and a feminine side to Sam thats ok. The new look may be a compromise between what both sides want - but I guess we'll never know!! Maybe MajorSam could ask in her next interview - if appropriate?

Thanks to Majorsam for the AT insight. I think it is quite easy to see Amanda is actually quite shy (though she is very confident in her acting abilities) - a little like Sam - from photo's, interviews and behind the scenes clips. I think her confidence in herself and her sexuality has increased certainly over the last few years. The is no doubt about it she is an incredibly beautiful and attractive woman - bless her for being so unnafected by it.

Tok'ra Hostess - love your line "bugs the blue blazin' daylights" made me smile!
            It is a sad fact that the male demography seems to be so easily bought. Now this may sound like a glib comment - but I shall back it up.

I'm quite a keen photographer and back in the days before digital there were just a few photography magazines gracing the shelves over here in Blighty. Now most of these mags tended to put glamour shots of women on the front occasionally - but one mag in particular had scantily clad glamour models on the front every month. Despite this the content of the mag from a photographic point of view was broad and intersting. One woman had written in complaining about the front page, that it annoyed and affronted her and that the mag was about general photography so why did the mag insult its readers by the cover every month. The reply was quite simple and a sad refection on a proportion of the male population. They stated that their own market research a few years back had demonstrated that they could increase sales by 50% - yes 50% by putting a scantily clad female on the front cover, and subsequent sales had supported this.
            I could never figure out why men interested in scanilty clad women would buy a photo mag when they could buy a "male" mag if they so wished! It has shuddering furtive connotations for me.

I think Sam and AT are doing a great job in hopefully making at least some men grow to appreciate Sam and AT for what she is as an individual and hopefully insipre them to look a little deeper when deciding what is worth watching on TV. I must admit I haven't come accross any comment on this forum which wants Sam to sex up!

I watched "The Lost City" last night. Good performances all round - and some nice humour too. I loved "The atomic weight of Boron" clip "Celestial Body" comment and the scene where Sam, Daniel and Jack are in the canteen. Am I right that here in Britain it is called the "Mess?" and is that a derivation and alteration of Commissary? Some excellent facial expressions by all actors. Kinsey - Horrid chap - what a great actor! I love the President - (I forget the actors name, but he's one of the few guest actors that I actually know. I have seen him in a lot of stuff and have always liked him). I loved it when the huggable Hammon first took the bridge on the Prometheous. It was a team based double bill and I'm hoping SG1 will get back to this in season 9 (from the comments I have heard about season 8 there are not too many team based ep's). A great perfomance by AT - a plethora of expressions and yes the eyes said a lot too! I loved it when they were at Jacks house and she stood to attention when the General came in. Was that Sams politeness - or are Forces people expected to stand to attention even off duty and off base?

Right I must go - jobs to do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

... your entire Gemini review because I CAN'T SEE IT AGAIN UNTIL SCIFI AIRS IT BECAUSE MY CABLE COMPANY IS EVIL! EEEVIL!

*twitches*

Did I mention my cable company was evil?

Sally
              Dear Sally

Hasn't anyone told you that the president of your local cable company is a guy named Kinsey?!

Comment

Thank you for the Amanda tidbits, and please keep it up!

Sally
                I second that!

Major Sam, you have shared some really interesting and fun things from your own life and your personal access to AT. I applaud you for being so free and I'm sure I speak for all the friendly fans at this particular thread when I say that we will honor your wishes to keep some of the more personal AT content to ourselves.

As Sam Carter said in Divide and Conquer: "None of this really has to leave this room."

Thanks again for making this thread even more enjoyable and special.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

Thanks to Majorsam for the AT insight. I think it is quite easy to see Amanda is actually quite shy (though she is very confident in her acting abilities) - a little like Sam - from photo's, interviews and behind the scenes clips. I think her confidence in herself and her sexuality has increased certainly over the last few years. The is no doubt about it she is an incredibly beautiful and attractive woman - bless her for being so unnafected by it.

... I watched "The Lost City" last night. Good performances all round - and some nice humour too ... A great perfomance by AT - a plethora of expressions and yes the eyes said a lot too! I loved it when they were at Jacks house and she stood to attention when the General came in. Was that Sams politeness - or are Forces people expected to stand to attention even off duty and off base?

Right I must go - jobs to do!!!
                  I think one of the reasons AT is so endearing is a certain innocence and shyness that do come through. Growing up with a bunch of brothers and probably being a tomboy to keep up with them, she may have never fully realized how attractive she is. She's so refreshing because she is so genuine and unabashing. She loves to poke fun at herself too. The Femme Fatale photoshoot must have been a very risky thing for her to do - allowing herself to be exposed that way - a whole new look. Again, something her agent probably thought a good career move. We know that Sam Carter (sigh) won't be around forever and that AT really is a hidden treasure on the MGM lot. At first, it took me by surprise, and then I just appreciated the beauty and professionalism of the shots. Of course, the AT we seem to recognize the most is that photo of her grinning widely and looking to the right - lots of mischief in that picture. The rest are posed so well - alluring and glamorous - and then, finally, the girl-next-door shot of her in jeans and yellow sweater. That shot reminded me of that beautiful image of her looking up at Seth in that early episode. She just shines!

The scene at Jack's house seemed to be so Carter to me. Here is someone who tries hard to play it by the book (think of her many "yes, sirs" to her COs) and I wonder, like you, if the writers had not written that standing up into the script and if AT just decided to be true to her character. It seems, though, that Sam would have become much more formal when Gen Hammond walked in on them. We'll have to ask our very own almost-Lt. Colonel: Major Sam - would standing at attention have been required in that scene?

Okay - it's a very snowy and blizzardy Sunday in the eastern part of the good ole USA - we got a foot of snow and are just now digging out! So I've got to go and play in the snow and make a Sam Carter snow woman next to all those dumb snowmen I see being built outside my bedroom window!

Peace! CG Totally enjoying this thread!
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 23 January 2005, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I thought you all might like to know what my husband has said of Amanda, i would first like to add that Mr Tara is not a scifi fan but has
                    seen the odd episode his words went somthing like this; "wow i could really beleive she is a
                    soldier, she has the look and stance of some one in the armed forces even down to the handling of her gun! she's nice on the eye's and interesting to watch!"

We will be going to Gabit events when Amanda has given out her new dates and as this will be the first time of meeting her just to be able to tell her those things would be great!
                    ......TARA......

Comment

Ok, I have to say before I start my spiel, that I wrote up this whole long thing that took me about half an hour, but when I tried to post it, it said “page cannot be displayed” so I refreshed, then it said it was an invalid thread, so I pushed the back button, cause usually it’ll go back, and all you’re typing will still be there, but of course it WASN’T, So I have to re-type the entire bloody thing! *grr* not happy at computer!
                      Gawd, I hate it when that happens! You're a better woman than I, MS; I usually just throw my hands up in frustration and click on to the next new post.

... about the photo shoot she did with Femme Fatale magazine, while talking about the Media’s obsession with perfect flawless beautiful people. She said how the shoot was probably the sexiest thing she’s ever done, and that if she’d known before how sexy it was going to turn out, that she would have liked to have lost more weight for it.
                      This just highlights, underlines and italicises how easily we are all influenced by the mass movement mechanics of peer pressure. It takes an uncommonly strong person to resist the flow. Sure, we may be able to do so, intellectually, but in practice?

AT seems to have been able to put her values into practice, for the most part, but even she succumbed to the idea that she was too fat. <shakes head at our collective absurdity> I think experiences like Amanda's and discussions like this one help (me) to be more aware of the pressures put on us.

After that I’m even happier that she got Sam.
                      Ah, me too! I can't think of many women that could have filled the role as capably as she has, not only for what she is capable of, but for what she refuses to do. I have always liked what Carmen Argenziano once said about AT - that she puts him in mind of Merryl Streep - another brillant, talented and intelligent human being.
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by sk8r^Ry
                        i wish i was called dr. that would be so cool. i wish i had a rank and a doctor but not in physics. is dr weer a doctor in physics too?
                        I think Dr. Weir's PhD is in political science. It's been mentioned that her field is international relations. So she's a social scientist rather than a physical scientist.

Comment

uter!

but we also talked about the photo shoot she did with Femme Fatale magazine, while talking about the Media’s obsession with perfect flawless beautiful people. She said how the shoot was probably the sexiest thing she’s ever done, and that if she’d known before how sexy it was going to turn out, that she would have liked to have lost more weight for it. I don’t know about you guys, but that, IMO, is RIDICULOUS!

Amanda doesn’t have to betray herself to play Sam.
                          The fact that she had any concern about this just shows the *unhealthy* ideal the business goes for these days. She has nothing to worry about in those pictures. I'm AT's age and I'm just in awe about what great shape she's in.
                          You know with Sam, one of the things I like is that she is beautiful, but it's almost like she doesn't know it. Sure she wants to look good--I also thought the outfit in the pool game scene was great--but most of the time she's in her scientific world. I wonder what she would have been like at the AF academy. Popular or very bookish? Or somehow manage to be both?

Comment

Dear Sally

Hasn't anyone told you that the president of your local cable company is a guy named Kinsey?!
                            LOL!

Comment

Okay - it's a very snowy and blizzardy Sunday in the eastern part of the good ole USA - we got a foot of snow and are just now digging out! So I've got to go and play in the snow and make a Sam Carter snow woman next to all those dumb snowmen I see being built outside my bedroom window!
                              LOL again!

Comment

I think it's time to post my thoughts on Gemini...

spoilers for s8's gemini

Spoiler:

"One of the biggest challenges was trying to creat subtle differences between the two Carters. They have the same consciousness, memories and emotional base, but in my opinion, a different heart, which is how I chose to play it. Repl-Catter was created by Fifth and spent most of her time with him, so she's a bit harder and quite duplicitous. I actually think my face looked slightly different as Repli-Carter because of the set of my jaw and other little things that I intentionally did.

Sally
                                She sure did get that different look. Great work. Glad she had a chance for such an acting workout. Actors often talk about how they love these kinds of challenges. Here's to more great opportunities for Amanda T. and Carter(s).

Comment

Working...
                                X