Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tara3583
    Oh yes i really think we do! but what ever tptb say will never sit right with me because they have chosen to write Cam the way they have.I thought he wanted to learn from the best so why does he not listen to Sam or for that matter Daniel or Teal'c? To me he comes across as an inexperenced idiot who gives no thought to the rest of the team and by doing so will get them killed.
    It's such a shame because it would have been so differant if tptb had written him as a Major and really seen him learning not just from Sam but from all of the team, i would have loved to see his journey as a Major but as it stands with him now i just see him as an idiot and i'll have a hard job seeing him as anything else in the future which really is a shame.
    That is shame. I don't see him as an idiot so much as I see him as being arrogant. There is some really good and interesting piont of views as to why he should lead but IMHO, Sam is far more experienced and skilled for the job required. Crossing fingers the PTB will try to rectify the situation though it's highly unlikely. I'm a Sam fan so maybe my opinion is somewhat biased. Oh well!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      so...since we've all been having fun lamenting any perceived lack of sam in s9 and the potential in s10...what has been y our favorite sam bit from s1-9?

the one moment that, when you think of sam carter, you think of her?
      I have several too.....
      --- Her dedication to reopening the stargate on Edora and rescuing Jack;
      --- Her bravery while she waited to die in Nirti's cell in Metamorphosis;
      --- Her ferocity with Bregman when she returned from the battlefield in Heroes 2;
      --- Shouldering her weapon against the replicators in Reckoning;
      --- The way she blackmailed Weir to rescue Jack in New Order;
      --- Her bravery at her father's deathbed in Threads;
      --- Her command presence in The Scourge;
      --- and many, many more.

Comment

Originally posted by veryangrystargatefan
        I can't wait to see what happens between Sam and Jack in S10 when RDA returns! I hope there's some romance!

Rachel (veryangrystargatefan)
        me too!!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Ok.....this is OT, but I found it while I was checking out some threads on the forum tonight:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgKyU...earch=stargate

Even though Sam/AT isn't featured in this clip, I thought Samanda would want to see it. It's.....different! That's all I'm sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            Deejay - this is beautiful!

In counterpoint to Deejay's wonderful new sig pic, I posted a rant on the Whingenuts thread, for anyone in the mood for such a read... Rant/Lament
            Thanks for posting this here Astro. IMOHO it certainly belongs here in On-Topic than in an off-topic thread.

I lament with you because as I find out when many I know came to the show (mid- to late-S6 and through S7) I find that we came (those of us here in the States watching on SciFi Channel) to the because we liked the team, we liked the wonderful uniqueness of this show. (And yes, there really is nothing new under the sun, but SG-1: The Original Series did put a fresh spin on so many mythologies and storytelling ideas.) Perhaps that part of the draw - old stories arcs, some older than dirt, but a wonderful ensemble cast with some individual actors/characters that stood out for each of us reinterpreting, reteaching the old grand themes to us.

And unfortunately for me, and all those others who came to the show during SciFi's major push to put SG1 out there in the heaviest rotation I'd ever seen in my *coughs*-odd years, like you said - our desire to see more of this cast, more of this particular mythology, more of the arcs that had gripped and kept us glued to our seats, and more of the backstory of these special characters... it hadn't been satiated yet. Once I found on-line fandom as part of my quest to find a listing of the show order so I could start watching them in order and understand how each ep fit into the grand scheme of things, I realized I'd come to the show 7 years into things and knew it didn't bode well for there being more new eps made in the style and with the cast that had lured me in. (And it didn't. The new eps of S8 weren't what had lured me. I'm glad I did get hooked into GW - I likely would have just turned the TV off if I hadn't found many of the wonderful, wise and witty fans here to discuss the show with.)

And those feelings you talked about in your post. They are honest and real. And they deserve to have a place here. (And I'm talking about respectful discussion, not arguing, flaming, and bashing.) As a counterpoint to blind gushing over changes, those feelings need aired.

I agree with you. It amazes me that a strong character like Sam was allowed to develop and grow and mature as a character as she was; it had seemed like they were conscious of this and would continue it. Maybe though it was a happy coincidence and the showrunners got more out of us (projecting these things onto the character) than they'd intended without putting any effort into it. It would seem like it, since they're going for the quick and dirty male-lead, T&A, worse-than-Marty-Sue-fanfic formula again...

*sighs*

I wasn't ready for Stargate SG-1 to end, and I will forever be disappointed that TPTB were tired of it. I wasn't.
            ((((((((((((((Astro)))))))))))))))))
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by veryangrystargatefan
              I might do that eventually astrogeologist. I never really thought of that. Right now though I'm making three to take to Shore Leave as gifts for the actors! If anyone is interested in the pattern I created, I think I could write it out.

Rachel (veryangrystargatefan)
              That'd be great! I'm looking for a new project
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                Thanks for posting this here Astro. IMOHO it certainly belongs here in On-Topic than in an off-topic thread.

I lament with you because as I find out when many I know came to the show (mid- to late-S6 and through S7) I find that we came (those of us here in the States watching on SciFi Channel) to the because we liked the team, we liked the wonderful uniqueness of this show. (And yes, there really is nothing new under the sun, but SG-1: The Original Series did put a fresh spin on so many mythologies and storytelling ideas.) Perhaps that part of the draw - old stories arcs, some older than dirt, but a wonderful ensemble cast with some individual actors/characters that stood out for each of us reinterpreting, reteaching the old grand themes to us.

And unfortunately for me, and all those others who came to the show during SciFi's major push to put SG1 out there in the heaviest rotation I'd ever seen in my *coughs*-odd years, like you said - our desire to see more of this cast, more of this particular mythology, more of the arcs that had gripped and kept us glued to our seats, and more of the backstory of these special characters... it hadn't been satiated yet. Once I found on-line fandom as part of my quest to find a listing of the show order so I could start watching them in order and understand how each ep fit into the grand scheme of things, I realized I'd come to the show 7 years into things and knew it didn't bode well for there being more new eps made in the style and with the cast that had lured me in. (And it didn't. The new eps of S8 weren't what had lured me. I'm glad I did get hooked into GW - I likely would have just turned the TV off if I hadn't found many of the wonderful, wise and witty fans here to discuss the show with.)

And those feelings you talked about in your post. They are honest and real. And they deserve to have a place here. (And I'm talking about respectful discussion, not arguing, flaming, and bashing.) As a counterpoint to blind gushing over changes, those feelings need aired.

I agree with you. It amazes me that a strong character like Sam was allowed to develop and grow and mature as a character as she was; it had seemed like they were conscious of this and would continue it. Maybe though it was a happy coincidence and the showrunners got more out of us (projecting these things onto the character) than they'd intended without putting any effort into it. It would seem like it, since they're going for the quick and dirty male-lead, T&A, worse-than-Marty-Sue-fanfic formula again...

*sighs*

Wow. Excellent post. I am one that came to watch the show this past fall. Not because of any 9th season episode I'd seen, but because of reruns-1st and 2nd season on Sci-fi. Had it been S9 episodes, eh, I probably wouldn't have stayed. I remember thinking Jack was just hilarious and I loved the team dynamic, but the more I watched, the more Sam stuck out to me. Had I only seen those S9 episodes, I would have been like "Sam? Sam who?" How sad would it have been to never get to know a great character like that?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  I recently took a class called Verbal Judo. It was designed for law enforcement officers, but this version was for civilians. The objective was learning how to neutralize unpleasant/non-productive people through the words you use. The first rule is: Never argue with an idiot.

So.....thinking of the WSL thread.....I think you both made wise decisions, 'cause there's no use arguing with people who don't want to listen.
                  That first rule is very true. I also had other issues on that thread that contributed to my writing it off as a waste of my time . . . .

Comment

Ok.....this is OT, but I found it while I was checking out some threads on the forum tonight:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgKyU...earch=stargate

Even though Sam/AT isn't featured in this clip, I thought Samanda would want to see it. It's.....different! That's all I'm sayin'.
                    Hi - which clip - the page I bring up has numerous video clips and I am not sure from the titles and descriptions which one I should be looking at. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      I think that Sam gives off more of a leader* aura than Mitchell does. I always get the feeling that if there was ever a situation where Mitchell was advocating a certain course of action and Sam another, both Daniel and Teal'c, together with most of the SGC, would be far more inclined to trust Sam's instincts. She's the one they would look to, consciously or not, when leadership was needed.

There shouldn't be an explanation for why Sam isn't in command in Season Ten, she should be immediately restored to command of SG-1, promoted if need be. Since that'll happen a few weeks after never, as she cannot possibly be allowed to upstage the hewo, I'd be afraid that the "explanation" the writers will come up with is that Cam selflessly offered to give up the post of his dreams to Sam when she returned - despite the fact that he was badgering her to return to "join" his team in "Avalon, Part 1", even using emotional blackmail to try to win her over - but Sam refused because she knew that he would do a much, much, much better job that she ever could.

*Note: I define a leader as somebody with the experience, intelligence, competence and strength of character to actually lead a team, to respect them and their abilities and to protect them at all costs.

Not as the numpty who gets a kick out of playing hero and who recklessly puts his team at risk because he's having a bad day.
                      Great post! Couldn't green you.

If the scene between Landry and Mitchell is written according to my worst fears (the final canonization and crowning of Cam at Sam's expense) then it will probably be the last straw for me. I won't be interested in watching such a farce any longer.

Congrats to you and Astro for making the "2000 Club"!

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar

*sighs*

Me too ... ((((((((((Astro)))))))))

And hugs to you too, SS, for an excellent reply to Astro! I don't travel much to other threads so am often ignorant of just what the tone or mood is out there. And, sometimes, ignorance is bliss!

I miss the quality of the past seasons, especially the first six seasons. The writing worked, the special effects were constantly getting better but did not overshadow the characters, and the team chemistry kept everyone coming back for more. We cared about SG1 ... I said this ages ago, don't try to fix it if it's not broken!

But TPTB had their own agenda and direction.

Now I'm still waiting for my resurgence of devotion rather than dealing with dashed expections. I emotionally disconnected through S9 and dread the ramifications of S10. What a shame that Stargate has not risen to its full potential!
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 04 June 2006, 09:26 AM.

Comment

YMMV?
                          your mileage may vary

in other words - you may agree, you may disagree, you may see it my way, or another
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Me too ... ((((((((((Astro)))))))))

And hugs to you too, SS, for an excellent reply to Astro! I don't travel much to other threads so am often ignorant of just what the tone or mood is out there. And, sometimes, ignorance is bliss!

I miss the quality of the past seasons, especially the first six seasons. The writing worked, the special effects were constantly getting better but did not overshadow the characters, and the team chemistry kept everyone coming back for more. We cared about SG1 ... I said this ages ago, don't try to fix it if it's not broken!

But TPTB had their own agenda and direction.

Now I'm still waiting for my resurgence of devotion rather than dealing with dashed expections. I emotionally disconnected through S9 and dread the ramifications of S10. What a shame that Stargate has not risen to its full potential!
                            Yeah, I believe Brad Wright made this perfectly clear in the Entertainment Weekly interview when he stated that he considers Stargate to be a Comedy. How strange, for nearly a decade I thought SG-1 was a Sci-Fi drama and adventure with moments of light humor. Little did I realize it was suppose to be a comedy. Which is probably a good thing because if I had, I probably wouldn't have stuck around for so many years.

Comment

Hi! Look what I found today on Mala's thread. If you haven't seen it, I thought you would enjoy it. It's RDA presenting the Spacey Award for Favorite New TV Character:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHh68...stargate%20sg1

The Man looks good! If you want to download it, you can go to www.rdanderson.com and look under "What's New."

Happy viewing!
                              I prefer to take "Jack's remarks" literally rather than tongue-in-cheek (regarding Cam, not BB personally). Just sent this on to Coley. It's a clever little way of presenting an award.

But my worst fears have been confirmed. The new king has been duly crowned, thus promoting and affirming all the propaganda and plot devices of S9.

I see very little hope left for Sam Carter in S10.
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 04 June 2006, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                I prefer to take "Jack's remarks" literally rather than tongue-in-cheek. Just sent this on to Coley. It's a clever little way of presenting an award.

But my worst fears have been confirmed. The new king has been duly crowned, thus promoting and affirming all the propaganda and plot devices of S9.

I see very little hope left for Sam Carter in S10.
                                I don't feel so great anymore... I hope we are all very wrong. I don't like the new king. Can we overthrow him? Revolt?

Comment

Working...
                                X