Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    What first caught my attention about the character of Samantha Carter?

- that she was an equal member of the team. She was female, but that wasn’t played up. First and foremost, she was competent.
    Me too. It was as thought it was the most natural thing in the world. (Well, beyond the reproductive organs quip in COTG...) Being female complemented who she was; all the other aspects of her character (scientist, soldier, leader, friend, lover...)

-from the scifi angle, I had a hard time ‘catching on to liking Stargate’… the whole Goa’uld and Jaffa angles weren’t appealing at all. Didn’t like the original Stargate movie either.
    Another me too. And for me, it was my father who started watching SG first, back when SciFi had Stargate following Farscape. So I'd catch snippets here and there. "Oh, so what's that show you're watching?" "Stargate?" "Like the movie Stargate?" And I think those snippets must have been more of the less emotionally-gripping kind; not saying bullets and bombs can't be interesting; but if you've seen one Jaffa get knocked through the air by a blast, then you've seen them all... The Goa'uld were interesting for me as slowly (on watching more full episodes instead of 5 minutes here and there) I realized how they fit into the show, especially characters like Ba'al, Apophis and Hathor - separate entities with slightly over the top brash personalities.

-I wasn’t an RDA fan (have never seen a whole episode of MacGyver) – not that I didn’t like him, but rather that I didn’t have feelings one way or the other
    Me three? I know on the RDA thunk thread I was a rarity - someone who hadn't watched MacG. Ever. But he put a different spin on O'Neill than Kurt Russell had and it worked. With the supporting cast he had, it really worked. Which leads up to, while noticing and appreciating Sam's character (how she was written, but especially how she was 'acted'), the interaction between these other characters, played by actors who were totally unknown to me, really clicked. When I was able to see some scenes where they were all there and interacting the light bulb really went off and I knew I'd be spending more time watching Sci-Fi's by then heavy rotation of SG. (As new eps of the FS series had ended.)

And that's why it's hard for me to say at what point in the show any of the characters really hit me first. I started watching full eps about the time season 7 new eps started showing. (although I really didn't realize that they were showing new eps until many months later. I assumed I was watching a show that had started out on premium cable that had a boatload of episodes and Skiffy was just rotating the heck out of them in syndication.) When I finally decided I needed to start watching in order (and that meant finding a list of these eps), it was 10 months later (Spring '04). SciFi's rotation was wonderful for luring people in, though the order they were (and are) showed in can be hell for keeping continuity straight in your head.

*grins* And that's when AT's changing hairstyles came in - if you weren't checking out the program listings in the newspaper, you still knew it was from a different season because the hair was different!

-But I do like scifi. A lot.
    I like several genres, but well-written and well-acted scifi will lure me in, especially if the cast has the chemistry that SG-1 did.

-Even more, as the years have passed, I really like shows that portray women in competent roles. Where the women are truly equal to the men – so that the male/female status doesn’t even enter into most of the plot-driven dialogue.
    Amen. And while our youngest members may not have experienced sexual harrassment or the reality of gender inequalities in the workplace in RL, it's taken many long years to get TV shows on the air (and movies) that show competency based on your skill and knowledge; not based on what may or may not be dangling between your legs.....
    -and so I would catch pieces of Stargate here and there over the years. And then, when Stargate was in it’s Seventh Season, I caught a piece of an older episode in reruns. It was an episode where SG-1, and some other military personnel were in a heated battle with some bad-guys (Jaffa). And I was blown away to see the female member of the team… simply handling everything and dealing with everything just like the guys were. Simple and clean – no difference made for the sexes. No lewd comments. No damsel in distress. She wasn’t simply dealing with the manly-men’s injuries while ducking behind a rock or tree.

-so I watched a bit more.
    Yep again. (see above)

-and I was amazed at the wonderful role that was Samantha Carter.
    a soldier, an air force officer
    a scientist – brilliantand I love the bright, wide-eyed enthusiasm displayed by AT – I love how she portrayed Carter as actually liking her science – and enjoying it
    Infectious enthusiasm and humor. To me Sam was a totally believable character, and though I know there are those who would disagree with me, I firmly believe that it had (and has) so much more to do with how Amanda had played her (versus the way she's been written).
    I really appreciated how Carter was a brilliant scientist, but was not portrayed as the socially inept geek (with pocket protectors and/or clueless around men)… although I did like how Carter was portrayed as not conceited about her intellect, nor her beauty – and I love how she is unaware of her affect on the opposite sex!
    Again, I know I'm being redundant, but natural is the best way I can put in. Sam was a unique individual and the more you learned about her backstory, the more you could identify and understand how she got to where she had and why.
    -after watching a few of the reruns, I (like Chopingal) went and ordered the Season 1 DVD’s.
    Ah, now there's where you (and others) have me beat. Even after finding joining on-line fandom and finding the schedule on Skiffy... I still hadn't bought any DVD's. But when I did later in 2004, I *grins* bought all 7 seasons. (no plans to buy 8 or 9 though. After Lost City things were just different on SG....)
    -from there, what caught my attention about Sam Carter was that she was that she had the scifi role that I think is the coolest on Stargate… That being, that she was the only one of the four major characters whose canon backstory was that she originally wanted to be an astronaut. You Go Girl!

-as I watched Season 1 (and then 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6), I was impressed by the times when an episode would either feature Carter or where she would be allowed to handle things that aren’t often given to someone who isn’t the lead male (and that was obviously RDA). Examples are in Hathor (an episode that didn’t turn me on, but), Carter was allowed to pull the trigger on Hathor in the final scene – and much more often, that would have been given over to one of the guys in more typical scenes. Another example was 2010 – where Carter was allowed to be the final hero dying and the one who actually tosses the note through the ‘Gate. Again, it was unusual for me to see the lead male not getting that role. Jack got that role most of the time… but not every time – and it was very cool to see those heroics go to Carter.

Getting back to your original question. What initially caught my attention about Sam Carter? That she was a competent, solid member of the team of heroes – without undue references to her sex. As I watched the series episodes, I found so much more to her character…!

All in all, I love that AT has portrayed Carter as a human being – and not as a stereotype. Carter’s not just a woman. Carter’s not a stereotypical geek with no social graces and no knowledge of how to dress correctly. Carter’s not an egotistical geek (another annoying stereotype for ‘eggheads’). Carter is well-rounded – she’s a person. She has a fun-loving side to go with her brainier side. She can handle physical activities well – another way that she’s not the stereotypical geek (who is usually portrayed as completely inept with respect to sports or physical talents).

I loved and LOL at the ‘can’t cook, spin, weave or dye’ line… and the ‘don’t look at me’ when the alien woman is going into labor. Love the portrayal of women in non-traditional roles. Love the portrayal of women in non-traditional roles – as women who aren’t *****y or butch or just generally cranky.

Uh, oh… I’m going on and on, so I’ll stop for now.

For now
    (((Astro)))

I think that second to last paragraph (where I underlined and 'pinkened' it) about sums it up.
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
      Who is Sam Carter?
      She’s a beautiful soul
      She explores the stars
      And traverses wormholes

Doing the impossible
      Dreaming big
      Rewriting physics
      Having a passion to live

Unassuming beauty
      A dazzling smile
      Loved by all
      She’s without guile

Courageous and selfless
      She doesn’t think twice
      She’d sacrifice herself
      To save a life

Honorable to the end
      Loving and sweet
      An irreplaceable friend
      Praise doesn’t conceit

Positive and patient
      She talks to her plants
      She’s good with kids
      In fact, she’s an aunt

An officer, a legend
      A good soldier to boot
      She can explain physics
      With a piece of fruit

A brilliant scientist
      With a need for speed
      She’ll maneuver a motorcycle
      Or an X-303

Saving the world
      Using her brain
      The rank of Lieutenant Colonel
      She has attained

She’s raced in space
      She’s blown up a sun
      She’s saved the Asgard’s
      Little gray bums

She's an expert marksman
      A really great shot
      Is there anything she can’t do?
      I think not

Flying an asteroid
      Straight through Earth
      She’s an amazing woman
      Does she know what she’s worth?

An unwilling host
      To a presumed enemy
      Jolinar gave her insight
      And unique abilities

Grace under pressure
      She’s got a backbone
      Firing a P-90
      In a war zone

She’s all of this
      And so much more
      But is no good
      At ‘womanly’ chores

Sam Carter’s our hero
      And no one can compare
      She’s a jewel in the rough
      Really quite rare

She’s different things to everyone
      A friend, a love, a daughter
      She’s everything we want to be
      She is Samantha Carter

Wonderful poem!

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by sky_blue_waters
        In Moebius. O'Neill said that geek!Carter was HOT. I agree, I like Sam with the glasses.
        Ow noooooooo. there I really don't like her. I don't know why but something about it I don't like... probably the look in general (has nothing to do with the glasses, I think).
        Spoiler:
        In Gemini she is the best there you have two of them

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          - question for samanda -

what was the first thing that grabbed you about sam carter? it can be the first ep, first scene; whatever it was that made you start falling for this character.

<snip>

i became a BIG sam fan that day. when did you?

sally
          Hmmmmmmmm.... *ponders*
          Response in a phrase: All eps make me fall for her and she got me from the get to go.

Being 9-10 years old when I first saw Stargate I only remembered two things clearly 1. Loved her since the beginning 2. It was COTG.
          I know I was watching TV and then came across Sam's scene and I though: 'I wanna be just like her!'. Afterwards I never saw Stargate ever again. Now 3 years ago they started showing it again since the beginning and remembering Sam very clearly as a beautiful woman with a very nice smile and a strong caracter I looked again and became hooked. Seeing her was just... fabulous because in a way she was the person that made me realise that even if women were threated badly, they still could come up for their own. Show what we were capable of.
          Obviously I started watching again and learned to love and appreciate Sam more and more with every eps I saw. The 'Sam-eps' naturally made me know more about her. How she was smart, funny, strong-headed, respectful, lively, helpful, caring, appreciative, innocent in a way, perseverant,...

But what made me really attached to her were all the side things. Like how she would smile, how her eyes lighted up, how she made funny faces, how she sat, how she worked, how she ate,... her body language in general.

It's rather difficult to explain, really. In short it made me see a woman that didn't take herself too seriously. She had a wonderfull job but that was it. No more, no less. Through that she acted as a blood and flesh person, not some perfect robot. Because she isn't. She lives, she eats, she sleeps, she cries, she laughs,... like everyone. Her character thraits just add to her wonderfulness.

Well I hoped I explained myself good because it took me a long time to write my thoughts down

PS: I noticed it isn't really the response you must have expected but with this post I want to make clear why I love her so much.

*runs off *
          Last edited by Lizlove; 30 May 2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
            It's rather difficult to explain, really. In short it made me see a woman that didn't take herself too seriously. She had a wonderfull job but that was it. No more, no less. Through that she acted as a blood and flesh person, not some perfect robot. Because she isn't. She lives, she eats, she sleeps, she cries, she laughs,... like everyone. Her character thraits just add the her wonderfulness.
            Liz, I don't think you could have been any more eloquent than that. You know what? Those are the exact same reasons I was so drawn to the character, too. And Amanda tangentially. I've never really been a big "oo-er" or "Ahh-er" over actors before, but there's something about Amanda, something that just makes her seem so salt of the earth; so genuine, it makes me wish for an opportunity to meet her. She has a tremendous gift of spirit, and it somehow manages to touch folks all over the world.

The best part, is the part you outlined so well Liz - she doesn't take herself too seriously. I admire that so much, and I try very hard in my own life to look at things that way. If I can laugh at myself, no matter what happenes in my day, then I can get up and face a new one in the morning.

Amanda's a great role model for that kind of "down-to-earth"-ness. She's not the only one, of course, but she's one of the keepers, and the industry is lucky to have her as such.

(So are we - by proxy !!)

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I tried greening you Liz but to no avail, so you're greened in spirit!
              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                Liz, I don't think you could have been any more eloquent than that. You know what? Those are the exact same reasons I was so drawn to the character, too. And Amanda tangentially. I've never really been a big "oo-er" or "Ahh-er" over actors before, but there's something about Amanda, something that just makes her seem so salt of the earth; so genuine, it makes me wish for an opportunity to meet her. She has a tremendous gift of spirit, and it somehow manages to touch folks all over the world.

The best part, is the part you outlined so well Liz - she doesn't take herself too seriously. I admire that so much, and I try very hard in my own life to look at things that way. If I can laugh at myself, no matter what happenes in my day, then I can get up and face a new one in the morning.

Amanda's a great role model for that kind of "down-to-earth"-ness. She's not the only one, of course, but she's one of the keepers, and the industry is lucky to have her as such.

(So are we - by proxy !!)

mg
                Thanks

And it's nice to know people like that still exist on Earth. Like you said she is a great model and should be it for more people. Because even after all those years of dealing with fandom and popularity she never ever got the big head. She stayed herself, stood her ground and that's what wonderful. I don't think she is ever going to change and that's good, real good. She doesn't take much credit for her work either. She does it because she loves and wants it, not because she needs the recognition, money, whatever like some others...
                She is just amazing to spent so much time and effort in everything she does, just to please the many of us. To have such a strongness, spirit and will is a real gift.
                Originally posted by scarimor
                I tried greening you Liz but to no avail, so you're greened in spirit!
                Well you know what they say... it's the intention that counts
                Thanks!!!
                Last edited by Lizlove; 30 May 2006, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Majorsal started a poll regarding who you'd like to see in the new spin-off series

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29165

------------

I'd also like to recommend a short Carterfic:

>>>'Night Sky' by Joolz
                  http://www.geocities.com/joolz4me/NightSky.htm
                  Just the scientist in me... agreeing wholeheartedly.

Comment

- question for samanda -

what was the first thing that grabbed you about sam carter? it can be the first ep, first scene; whatever it was that made you start falling for this character.

sally
                    This is actually a tough question for me. I started watching somewhat accidentally--flipping channels one day. I had heard of Stargate SG1 but thought it would be your typical cheesy SciFi show. I got caught up in the story though and liked the interactions among the characters. I think Sam began to stand out for me because she wasn't "the girl." She was a full member of the team --brilliant, but not just "the brain"--she was as brave as the guys. She wasn't relegated to making coffee and being rescued by the guys. In fact, she was often the one they needed to save the day. She was just a cool character. What can I say, Sam rocks!

Comment

You have posed a great question Sal, to which there have been some really great responses. I seem to be out of green for some peeps though!!

Astro as always summed the appeal of Carter up perfectly for me anyway. My attraction to the character was more of a slow thing. I was pleasantly surprised in the first season with this strong female soldier/scientist but worried that the focus on ship may take some of this away from her. The writers however just went from strength to strength with her and it must be noted that a great deal of credit for this must go to RDA. He always allowed the other cast members to shine and be the focus. We all make comment on what a ncie lady Amanda is - well I think Rick certainly as far as his professionalism goes must be applauded.

Sam went from strength to strength aided and driven I'm sure to a large extent by Amanda's own enthusiam and acting ability, as well as focused scripting.

I too loved the snarky glare she gave Kawolski in COTG when she was laying the claymore line and lots of other very small snippets Amanda delivered to perfection.

I've always been a bit of a sci fi buff so the constant male attention Sam copped for in the script was the only annoying thing for me.

I think the Sam smile played a large part too - such a wonderful warm happy smile.

Astro picked most of the stuff I would have. By the end of season 3 I just wanted to be Sam Carter - "Welcome to my life!" - Yes please!!!!

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for the warm "welcome back"s!!!

Comment

1 speed I hope you're not on the thread because your out buying a certain far flung individual much needed supplies of a certain ale which is on special offer

Comment

- question for samanda -

my answer: i liked her from the get go/first ep, but i knew she was moving towards my fave character when, in the second ep, kawalski grabbed her and was dragging her down the hallway... i really got excited by that. sam in trouble, sam in danger!

the third ep, though (emancipation) is what made sam carter officially become my fave character. (and broca divide, fourth ep, i officially became an s/j shipper).

'emancipation' showed me the soldier sam. she was tough and could kick butt! sam was put in a bad situation that highlighted what she 'didn't' want highlighted (that she was a woman first and only), but she never backed down and showed the idiot mongol leader a thing or two.

i became a BIG sam fan that day. when did you?

sally

I'd have to say, from COTG. Here was a woman and Air Force officer who walked in a room full of people (the top Brass), mind you and spoke what was on her mind.

Then, like you it was Emancipation in this scene:

>Jack: "Captain, if we go in there and try to get that little girl out, we could be starting a war we could be starting a war on this planet."

Sam: "Since when are you a politician, Colonel."

Jack: "Easy, Captain."

Sam: "De Opresso Liber. To free from oppression, special forces motto."

Jack: "I know what it is. That's our world, this is there's."

Danny: "Do we have the right to interfere with there customs or reinterpret their laws?"

Sam: "Maybe you guy aren't getting this, but they're about to kill this teenage girl! Simply because she fell in love with this boy!"<

This is where, at least to me, Sam says the obivious. If we can't defend the decendents of Earth, who were taken as slaves, we become slave traders ourselves. Basically, we become our own worst enemy.

Also in the fight, you don't have to kill your enemy to defeat them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              My word! Is this "Red Book, Volume II"?! Fantastic job, Astro!

Beautiful image of our Latin motto, Kat! And Ooober!!!!!!!!!! You hit the jackpot on 40,000th post! Wow, how appropriate!

Samanda lives!
                              Had a chance to take a look--great job!

Comment

I've said a lot of this before, so I aplogize up front for repeating myself. As a 50+ woman, I've watched a lot of tv shows over the years, and am usually most drawn to shows which showcase female characters who I can identify with in some way. Since I'm not a mom or a model or a single girl looking for sex in the city , I haven't seen a lot of dramas that I really, really liked. There have been soooo many shows over the years with guys who are action heroes or detectives or sports stars, etc., but almost none where the women got to do the same "cool" things as the guys, or actually save the guy instead of having to be saved.

Along comes SG-1. I'm like many of you in that I didn't really like the movie all that much, and didn't get to watch SG-1 until it came along in syndication on a local station. I was hooked from the first show I saw, because of Sam. You've all listed the wonderful attributes she has, so I won't go into those, but I will mention some of the other things that made me identify with her more than any other sci fi female over the years. She exists in the same time we do, dresses in roughly the same way we do, and acts the way women I know do.

I also want to say something about RDA, and his role in helping to create the wonderful character Samantha Carter. I'm not a huge RDA fan, but I do give him tons of credit for being incredibly generous in sharing the screentime and the heroic duties in the show. As the star and exec. producer, he could have very easily insisted that Jack be the MAN, be the hero every time, that his face be the closing shot every episode, and make the other 3 characters be minor satellites revolving around his noble self. But instead, Jack became a somewhat reluctant hero, and the other 3 were allowed to have their own story arcs and even get to save the day as often as Jack himself. It was so refreshing to see, especially when it meant that a woman, gasp!, got to do heroic things as well as the men.

For 8 seasons, the balance was there: four team members, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, each contributing something every episode, complementing each other, not always agreeing, but supporting each other. I think it's the first time I've seen a tv show where a woman character was allowed to be an equal member of an action team like that.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X