Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    You know, it's one of the cool things about this thread...we come from different backgrounds, different professions, different interests and skills and lives...

We're not American, or Canadian, or British, or Aussie, or French here although we do of course love, appreciate and honor our real world nationalities...

We're Samandans here, united in purpose and pleasure and joy and irritation and friendship over the coolness that is Sam Carter and the brilliance and beauty and charm that is Amanda Tapping.

We bicker about things that happen on the show from time to time...trends we don't like or characters we have issue with...or ships we prefer or don't prefer...some would rather go Titanic and sink all ships altogether...

But in the end it all comes back to one thing and one thing only...our mutual appreciation for Samantha Carter and Amanda Tapping and our enjoyment of a show that means something special to us for one reason or another.

Long live Samanda.

Great post. It really does explain what we're all doing here. Sorry everyone for causing trouble before.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
      Wow RL has been keeping me soooooooooooooo busy I have not had time to drop in much the last few weeks. I have not had time to read everything posted today (and will not have time to do so until later) - I'm still at work getting things lined up for another concert tomorrow - but I had to drop in with a quick post on all the shippy talk - those who know me well know that I'm a non-shipper - but I cold not resist posting this picture of Sams true love

Which is an extension of AT and CJ's playful friendship with each other

That was a great scene. I loved how Teal'c tried to comfort Sam after what happened in Heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        you didn't sully the thread. it's just getting a little too ship heavy i think.

here's the ship discussion thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...cussion+thread

i'll go over there and wait to see if you post anything. i'll debate with you.

sally
        Thanks, and I agree. Actually I think I might steer clear of that one. I'm not too good at debating and I hate arguing with people. Sorry about that, but thanks for the offer.
        Last edited by JessM; 25 May 2006, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          i think they're writing stargatefastfood right now. the writing's been slipping for years because how can anyone write great if you're splitting your time between two *shows*?

sam, jack, daniel, and teal'c used to be written with depth and care. now all the characters are being written as caricatures (to sorts).

maybe season 10 will see that all worked out. maybe not. i'm just glad sam/amanda's still on!

here's a question for everyone: if the writing for sam gets *so* bad that's it's painful to watch, will you continue watching?

i can't answer this yet.

sally
          I don't think I can, either. I am adopting a "wait and see" attitude, but if they try really hard to tarnish Sam's character I think I will quit watching, especially if they allow her to become wallpaper or just shove her into the background constantly so they can highlight Mitchell or Vala (or Daniel/Vala).

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Where OTP = One True Pairing, OT3 = One True 3(some) You can of course put your own number in there if you so desire (OT4 is the true definition of team fic )
            Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I don't think you have to turn off your sig anymore than anyone else needs to turn off theirs or stop posting shippy smilies; but perhaps it might be wise to leave the ship discussions on the ship threads for a few days and try to remember some of the other great reasons for enjoying Sam and Amanda.

How about bondage Sam? Or Sam in leather? DoH?!? Where did that come from?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...G1/ENDGAME.jpg
              You're right and I'm sorry. I do tend to get pretty defensive about my ship because I've been flamed for it in the past (and I'm not talking about here, I'm talking about other sites). I'll do my best to put that behind me and not take things so personally anymore.

I promise I'll shut up about ship unless someone else brings it up (and even then I'll try not to be so touchy about it).

Great pic BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                http://www.mind-rot.net/myfanfic/sg1/dorkverse.htm

That was the fic I'm talking about. Jack/Sam/Daniel Moebius AU OT3 fic
                Thanks for the link. I've read some of Jennghis Khan's stuff already and I like it. I started reading the story...it's good so far. Not sure I'll have time to finish it today, so I'm bookmarking it. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Beakymoose
                  So true. . . I really enjoyed Sam in season 9 like I haven't in a while. Rewatching all of the seasons in a marathon (to keep away the sadness/madness between the seasons) I realized just how far AT has taken the character. It's so amazing. I know I could never do such an amazing job at something like that. As always, hats off to the actors. Especially AT.
                  Very well said!

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
                    I think I said this before, but I agree that Arthur's Mantle was almost hearkening back to the good old days. I fear that we may never see that again. I was not really crazy about any episodes in S9, but if I have to pick a favorite, it would be that one. Plus Dr. Lee's antics cracked me up too.
                    I keep getting Aurthur's Mantle and Off the Grid mixed(messed) up. I think the out of phase stuff makes me thinf off the grid. <sigh> And of course Mitchell making such "smaet" decisions...

Suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Yes, we've seen Sam deal with relationships with other people other than Jack. We've seen her deal with Orlin, Janet, her father, but if you think even S8 was written in such a way to keep the team around Jack. I really love what we have been given in the past between Sam/Daniel and Teal'c. I think AT, CJ and MS all have an amazing chemistry that really shines when they are on camera together when they are allowed to do so, but in S9 we didn't see any of that sparkage and that on top of losing Jack made the season feel flat and empty to me.

I really hope the writers make some serious changes in S10 and realize that while its good to add new ingredients to a recipes to spice things up at times and while most people enjoy trying new things, we all have our own comfort zones as well. Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and Jack have been a winning recipe for eight years. We may not have Jack around anymore, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy S/D/T anymore. Mitchell can and never will replace Jack in my heart, so they should stop trying to make him fill Jack's shoes by making all the character relationhip on the show revolve around Mitchell and finally allow these characters to really bond with one another and prove that their relationships were deeper than their common friendship with Jack.
                      I totally agree with you on this, and I share that hope for S10. Just because new people are added to the mix doesn't mean they should neglect the old friendships that have stood the test of time (more or less, anyway). On one of the Yahoo groups I frequent, there was talk of a sort of "Save the Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel Friendships" campaign, but that never came about. I guess all we can do is hope that we'll see some of the old sparkage...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        I made it up ... was just having a bit of fun posting 'what I'd like to see in a TV Guide Stargate spoiler'
                        That's what I figured... *sigh* Would have loved to see something like that myself... though the spoilers that I've read for the second episode of S10 come *sort of* close to that...

Woot! Love those ideas!
                        Thanks I hope that TPTB act on at least one of them this coming season and give Sam's character the respect she deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          I agree, Regan - it's not that I wanted RDA to leave, but I did think that we'd get to see some great stuff with Carter, Daniel and Teal'c leading SG-1 with a newbie or two (never thought that the newbies would be written as effectively taking over).
                          Same here. I thought that the newbies would just round everything out nicely, if that makes sense... didn't think they'd really take over. I guess that was done in part to please people who loved BB and CB on Farscape and began watching SG-1... or not... or, like people have been saying about Mitchell, to sort of replace Jack. Though not sure about Vala. She was "connected" to Daniel and there were a lot of fans who loved her in Prometheus Unbound... but I actually didn't think she'd become such a huge part of the show (no offense to Vala fans... I don't hate her but I'm not in love with her either).

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            ROFL. That's exactly what I thought. I'm still around, I've just got a lot on my plate at the moment, so I'm spending a lot of time skim reading posts, but I don't really have time to post my own posts. I've had five exams, still got....seven (I think) to sit, so I'm nearly there My French tutor (waves hello) was amazing in my oral exam (Mandy, Barbie, Sky.... behave) but we didn't discuss Gate unfortunately. Didn't really relate to the topic.

Anyway, Amanda is awesome and I'm so glad that we can all coexist happily on here. I saw an awesome quote the other day by Amanda... "I dont understand why things arent equal . I dont understand why people can hate people bacause of the color of their skin, their religion or gender." And you know, extending that, how the heck can people be hated or spurned for a character or ship preference.

There's no hatred or sullying going on. We're just playing with the ship thing, and I know that speaking for myself, despite having recent troubles with Sam/Daniel shippers, I am so glad that we've got some new people here, it's really stirred up the conversation. New blood brings new perspectives, new ideas and can do nothing but further a conversation that (due to our now pruned - in a good way - thread) was starting to become a little stagnant.

Hope things get better for you. I know that I am one of those people you talk about (if that is what you're talking about) who caused the trouble here and I can't apologize for it enough. If you think I've caused too much trouble just let me know and I'll leave. The last thing I want to do is cause trouble, and I see that I've done that. And I feel really bad about it. I would be happy to just talk about Sam, but if i'm no longer wanted because I caused trouble, then I guess that's fine too...

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                              I keep getting Aurthur's Mantle and Off the Grid mixed(messed) up. I think the out of phase stuff makes me thinf off the grid. <sigh> And of course Mitchell making such "smaet" decisions...

Suse
                              The titles are pretty similar, lol... Yeah, I think Mitchell still needs an education about what goes on and how he should be careful not to touch things.

Comment

A quite good Sam/Cam fic: Laterals, by Dirty-Diana. I know alot of you probably about to click the post button to sumbit your rage at the pairing , but it does actually have some really well written characterisation.

Comment

Working...
                                X