Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    That's OK. OBSB will get to save the day on more than one occasion. Being the underdog is cool, because no one expects anything from you. And then when you do something exceptional, people are shocked. Eh, eh?

*sigh*

Did I mention, sb, that OBSB has an oddball friend to help her out? She's not an official Stargate Barbie or anything, but she's good for a mockery or two...
    yeah but still, getting picked on... i'm not so sure about this. its a good think i'm a push-over, otherwise i might back out of this whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      the only thing that disappointed me with 'death knell' was that there wasn't enough sam! i feel they wasted half the ep getting to what exactly was going on with sam.

sally
      Oh I agree with you there, I mean did we need all that poltical garbage
      *remembers how often I fast forward those scense*
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        Jack did call her Sam a few times in the early seasons--such as when she was waiting for CAssie to blow up.

if someone didn't know what show or ep was being talked about, or that this is a scifi show, i could see them saying, 'what the heck?!?'.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
          yeah but still, getting picked on... i'm not so sure about this. its a good think i'm a push-over, otherwise i might back out of this whole thing.
          Push over? You? Perfect...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            if someone didn't know what show or ep was being talked about, or that this is a scifi show, i could see them saying, 'what the heck?!?'.

sally
            LOL!! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this post!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              * an over-the-top version of "I am woman, hear me roar and get the hell outta my way because I have more ISSUES than you have ideas..." feminist cliche [See "Starbuck" in BSG - sorry BSG fans ]
              hmm, just wanted to say something here - I don't see Starbuck as a feminist cliche. I don't even see her as a cliche of any female character. I see Starbuck as a foul mouth, prone to making rash desicisions, gambling, cigar smoking pilot. If anything, she's a cliched 'Pilot' (though she does happen to be a chick when most of those 'cliched pilot' roles are male). Starbuck, to me, is a cool character who also happens to be a female character.
              It's the same thing with Sam. Obviously since I'm not looking for female role models (nor male for that matter ;o) I'm gonna see things differently. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see Sam as an awesome female character, I see her as an awesome character

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                hmm, just wanted to say something here - I don't see Starbuck as a feminist cliche. I don't even see her as a cliche of any female character. I see Starbuck as a foul mouth, prone to making rash desicisions, gambling, cigar smoking pilot. If anything, she's a cliched 'Pilot' (though she does happen to be a chick when most of those 'cliched pilot' roles are male). Starbuck, to me, is a cool character who also happens to be a female character.
                It's the same thing with Sam. Obviously since I'm not looking for female role models (nor male for that matter ;o) I'm gonna see things differently. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see Sam as an awesome female character, I see her as an awesome character

awesome.

while i do find it important for sam to be a great female character, as a female who has found well written female characters sadly absent, especially in sci fi, i love the fact that you don't consider her gender when considering how great a character she is. (having said that, we do know that you do consider her gender. )

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  (having said that, we do know that you do consider her gender. )
                  only a fool would not

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Yes, but AD, you're saying that that because Amanda said she wanted the writers to write her character and allow her to fill in the "feminine" bits. I don't mean to offend but (this is what I'd say to you if you were here in front of me anyway so ), that thought isn't exactly original, it's hers, transposed. Sam Carter is female. Ergo, she is an awesome female character. She is also an awesome character, however amidst a world wherein we do harbor cliches (feminist and/or otherwise), it's difficult to not appreciate that Sam Carter does not become one of those. Nor do I feel it's particularily wrong to admire that fact.

In so far as we compare Sam Carter to Starbuck (I know you're a fan so I won't belabour the point here), suffice it to say that Starbuck is WAY over the top, she's a typical example of what writers like to do to make "conflict" happen for their characters, she's got more issues on the table than the senate committee for appropriations. That's status quo for television. But it's also a crutch for weaker storytelling (and characteristically naieve writers); if the character's ongoing angst is so deep, it does all the work on its own without needing to borrow from the narrative.

Sam Carter isn't like that. Her character strength comes from elsewhere and (regardless of gender), she's a fabulous example of what a good character CAN be, because of that. Subtler subtext, deeper facets.

The same holds true with acting. It's far more difficult to play a scene that requires subtlety of emotion than it is to rage or cry or explode emotionally. It's typical of a less experienced actor to applaud the raging scene before the subtler one, because well ... they just don't know any better.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Oh for sure. It's just that I don't agree with the way there needs to be a distinction between male and female characters. There is no gender inequality if female and male characters are treated the same (on a side note, this is where I have a few problems with the 'feminist' movement. At times it seems to that its not about gender equality but more about female superiority (lol on a side note to that, I plugged superiority into google to check if I'd spelt it right and the first result that comes up is a page about female superiority... o.O Though that seems to be more about FemDom... *reads*)) Anyway, that's what I was trying to get at I don't have a list of my favourite male character and my favourite female characters. I have a list of my favourite characters.

Also, about Starbuck, I think it was just the wording that you used. All the characters in BSG probably have over the top flaws and conflicts. But that is what makes for interesting viewing and, interestingly enough, mighth be one of the reasons I don't feel a need to find fanfic that explores those flaws and conflicts. It's done so well on the show already. Compare that to SG1, where I regulary want to read fic that explores what might have gone through Carter's mind in a various episode, or what might have happened off screen. That's not a problem with the character at all, it's simply a result of the different styles of shows that Stargate and BSG are. In my opinion of course

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        I'm just going to sit back, relax and keep refreshing the page to watch Kat's sig rotations go by....They are awesome and "The windows to the soul" is so mesmerizing
                        Aww, that's so sweet. *blush* Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                          what say we make a Kat [and AD] sig appreciation thread? i have yet to be the bob the builder sig but i love the "RDA diet".
                          Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          So am I. I love Kat's sigs. They're so much fun. I just got the Bob the Builder (or should that be Sam the Soldier) one, which made me smile. Has Kallesta been inspiring you again, Kat?
                          Wow, you gals are really making me blush a lot tonight. I'm glad you enjoy the sigs. I wish I had more time to make more, but unforunately it's near the end of the school year and I've been trying to finish up our studies. LOL, and yeah I was inspired by the Bob the Builder song one day after watching it with Kallesta. ;D

Comment

Well the fact is that Sam is a woman and therefore is...whether she wants it or not...a hero figure for women.

She sets a standard of excellence that so many tv heroines strive for and yet fall short to the extent of being cliche.

And you know how I feel about cliches.

As for Season 7 eps...man that's tough. Heroes 2 shows her strength, her heart, her compassion and really highlights some of the best of who Sam is I think. Her loss for her best friend and her concern for Jack, who she almost lost.

Amanda really nailed that performance and I still get choked up when I see it. And then I think of how they completely ignored Janet Frasier and robbed us of that brilliant Sam and Janet reunion I was foaming at the mouth for in Ripple Effect. I mean she did her eulogy for crying out loud!

Sorry...end of rant. Now where was I?

Oh yes. Season 7 episodes. I don't know...I'll have to give it some thought.

Last edited by Uber; 17 May 2006, 08:40 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                              psst, Kat, what's your public gallary ID? (mine) so many we can get back on topic.

...for a bit.
                              My Gallery

Alot of my sigs aren't actually in the rotation though.
                              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 17 May 2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                My goodness. She really is just that stunning, isn't she?

Reminds me of why I am a loyal platonic thunker.

*snickers gleefully*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X