Clear All

Sorry to intrude on your fun here but I got a couple of icons

Second one isn't so good but... yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
      Sorry to intrude on your fun here but I got a couple of icons

Second one isn't so good but... yeah
      Thanks Lizlove!

This reminds me...I hope we get some good scenes between Sam and Elizabeth. I enjoyed the dynamic between them in New Order...both strong, passionate, capable women in positions of authority who respect each other and know how to play the game.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
        yes ma'am, they are. you can call them birds as well. captains where "bars".

mandy, it means the command is "Tench-HUT!" and what's that supposed to mean!?!
        and second lieutenants, who wear one gold bar are called 'butter bars'
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          Thanks Lizlove!

This reminds me...I hope we get some good scenes between Sam and Elizabeth. I enjoyed the dynamic between them in New Order...both strong, passionate, capable women in positions of authority who respect each other and know how to play the game.
          yeah, that'll be interesting, liz and sam again....and this time sam will be on liz's turf instead of liz being on sam
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Lizlove!

My pleasure!

I like the dynamics between the two but IMO Sam was almost blackmailing Liz. But they kept their ground!

*runs off*

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              and second lieutenants, who wear one gold bar are called 'butter bars'
              yep.

great stuff liz! maybe i will enjoy sam in atlantis.
              sigpic
              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                Who's Donna Mills?
                Oh, the youth on this thread. Sigh.
                jckfan is obviously one of the older hens for knowing Donna (Abby) Mills.
                I don't know what young actress could play Sam's mom in flashbacks, though. I'm guessing her mom would have been in her 30s when she died.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  According to Ardiunna's Stargate Handbook these are the medals that Sam has received and I've added the criteria for each award:

Airman's Medal

This decoration, one of several Air Force awards established by Congress on July 6, 1960, takes the place of the Soldier's Medal for Air Force personnel. It is awarded to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States or of a friendly nation who, while serving in any capacity with the United States Air Force after the date of the award's authorization, shall have distinguished himself or herself by a heroic act, usually at the voluntary risk of his or her life but not involving actual combat.

Meritorious Service Medal

Awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who distinguished themselves by outstanding non-combat meritorious achievement or service to the United States subsequent to 16 January 1969. Normally, the acts or services rendered must be comparable to that required for the Legion of Merit but in a duty of lesser though considerable responsibility.

Air Medal

The Air Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the armed forces of the United States, shall have distinguished himself by meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. Awards may be made to recognize single acts of merit or heroism or for meritorious service. Award of the Air Medal is primarily intended to recognize those personnel who are on current crew member or non-crew member flying status which requires them to participate in aerial flight on a regular and frequent basis in the performance of their primary duties. However, it may also be awarded to certain other individuals whose combat duties require regular and frequent flying in other than a passenger status or individuals who perform a particularly noteworthy act while performing the function of a crew member but who are not on flying status. These individuals must make a discernible contribution to the operational land combat mission or to the mission of the aircraft in flight. Examples of personnel whose combat duties require them to fly include those in the attack elements of units involved in air-land assaults against an armed enemy and those directly involved in airborne command and control of combat operations. Involvement in such activities, normally at the brigade/group level and below, serves only to establish eligibility for award of the Air Medal; the degree of heroism, meritorious achievement or exemplary service determines who should receive the award. Awards will not be made to individuals who use air transportation solely for the purpose of moving from point to point in a combat zone.

Air Force Achievement Medal

The Air Force Achievement Medal may be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States (and to foreign military personnel) below the grade of colonel who, while serving in any capacity with the Air Force distinguish themselves by outstanding achievement or meritorious service but not to the extent that would warrant the award of a Commendation Medal.

Air Force Organizational Excellence Award

The Secretary of the Air Force authorized this award on Aug. 26, 1969. The Air Force Organizational Excellence award recognizes the achievements and accomplishments of U.S. Air Force organizations or activities. It is awarded to Air Force internal organizations that are entities within larger organizations. They are unique, unnumbered organizations or activities that perform functions normally performed by numbered wings, groups, squadrons, etc.

National Defense Service Award

The National Defense Service Medal was awarded for honorable active service for any period between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954; between 1 January 1961 and 14 August 1974; between 2 August 1990 and 30 November 1995 and between 11 September 2001 and a closing date to be determined. For the purpose of the award, the following persons will not be considered as performing active service:
                  (1) Guard and Reserve forces personnel on short tours of duty to fulfill training obligations under an inactive duty training program.
                  (2) Any person on active duty for the sole purpose of undergoing a physical examination.
                  (3) Any person on temporary active duty to serve on boards, courts, commissions and like organizations or on active duty for purposes other than extended active duty.
                  (4) A one time only exception, for members of the Army National Guard and United States Army Reserve, who were part of the selected reserve in good standing, was authorized, per executive orders 12778, dated 18 October 1991, for the period 2 August 1990 to 30 November 1995.
                  b. The National Defense Service Medal may be awarded to members of the Reserve Components who are ordered to Federal active duty, regardless of duration, except for the categories listed above. Any member of the Guard or Reserve who, after 31 December 1960, becomes eligible for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal or the Southwest Asia Service Medal is also eligible for the National Defense Service Medal.
                  c. To signify receipt of a second or subsequent award of the NDSM, a bronze service star will be worn on the service ribbon by U.S. Army personnel so qualified. Second or third award of the NDSM is authorized for soldiers who served in one or more of the four qualifying time periods. It is not authorized for soldiers who met the criteria in one time period, left active duty and returned during the same period of eligibility.
                  d. Cadets of the U.S. Military Academy are eligible for the NDSM, during any of the inclusive periods listed above, upon completion of the swearing-in ceremonies as a cadet.
                  e. The NDSM may be issued posthumously.

AF Longevity Service Award

The Department of the Air Force General Order 60, Nov. 25, 1957 authorized this ribbon. It is awarded to all service members of the U.S. Air Force who complete four years of honorable active or reserve military service with any branch of the United States Armed Forces. The Air Force Longevity Service Award is a ribbon that replaces the Federal Service Stripes previously worn on the uniform.

AF Small Arms Expert Marksman Ribbon

This ribbon was authorized by the Secretary of the Air Force on Aug. 28, 1962. It is awarded to all U.S. Air Force service members who, after Jan. 1, 1963, qualify as "expert" in small-arms marksmanship with either the M-16 rifle or issue handgun. These rules will apply to the Air Force standard service small arms weapon selected. Qualifications as "expert" in both weapons after June 22, 1972, shall be denoted by a bronze service star worn on the ribbon.

AF Training Ribbon

This ribbon was authorized by the Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Force on Oct. 12, 1980. It is awarded to U.S. Air Force service members on completion of initial accession training after Aug. 14, 1974. In Dec 1986, the criteria expanded and authorized the ribbon to anyone who was on active duty in Dec 1986, regardless of when they completed initial accession training. The ribbon was designed by the Institute of Heraldry. The ribbon has a wide center stripe of red, flanked on either side by a wide stripe of dark blue and a narrow yellow stripe edged by a narrow dark blue stripe. Authorized Device: Oak Leaf Cluster
                  Great list. I believe I read somewhere that when you get a repeat medal you get an oak leaf cluster(?). I think Sam would have earned the air medal, airman's medal and air force achievement medal multiple times.
                  For example--in Prometheus, she is certainly heroic, but not in actual combat=airman's medal.
                  I think the air medal definitely for the one where she and O'Neill attack Anubis' power generation thingie on his ship--(can't remember the ep).
                  Air force achievement medal for many of her scientific "saves."
                  What other instances can people think of that were medal worthy?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    Great list. I believe I read somewhere that when you get a repeat medal you get an oak leaf cluster(?). I think Sam would have earned the air medal, airman's medal and air force achievement medal multiple times.
                    did you read it here?
                    Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                    or she could where a few oak leaf clusters
                    and i agree, she needs a few doubles. for those of you who wish to be politically (militarily) correct: bronze and silver oak leaf clusters are used to denote multiple awardings. there are 5 bronzes in 1 silver. and you use the V(alor) device is used to show that the award was received for combat, if it's not specified in the criteria.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      Oh, the youth on this thread. Sigh.
                      jckfan is obviously one of the older hens for knowing Donna (Abby) Mills.
                      I don't know what young actress could play Sam's mom in flashbacks, though. I'm guessing her mom would have been in her 30s when she died.
                      Thanks to Soapnet, I got to see all of Knots Landing. She was such a great villianness!

And I agree with you. Early to mid 1980's Donna Mills would have worked as Sam's mom but I think now she's outside the appropriate age bracket as I believe that Sam's mom died in her 30's.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
                        My pleasure!

I like the dynamics between the two but IMO Sam was almost blackmailing Liz. But they kept their ground!

*runs off*
                        Yup she was kinda blackmailing her. She did it so sweetly too I might add. *grins evilly*

But you can tell by Liz's expression that she didn't take it badly. My impression was that Liz respected Sam and that when Sam played her a little, there was a glint of touché in Liz's eyes.

Comment

Thanks to Soapnet, I got to see all of Knots Landing. She was such a great villianness!

And I agree with you. Early to mid 1980's Donna Mills would have worked as Sam's mom but I think now she's outside the appropriate age bracket as I believe that Sam's mom died in her 30's.
                          Which is why she'd work for an alternate version of Sam's mother from a reality where she didn't die.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Which is why she'd work for an alternate version of Sam's mother from a reality where she didn't die.
                            Good point!

I'd have to erase my image of her as Abby though to do it. LOL

Comment

Good point!

I'd have to erase my image of her as Abby though to do it. LOL
                              You mean you'd be thinking when Jacob was away she'd be down the road (cul-de-sac) with Valene's husband?
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Which brings me to this. We know that Sam inherited some character traits from Jacob. *cough* stubborness *cough*. What do you think she inherited from her mother ? And how much influence did her mother have on her ? Sam was very young when her mother died, but not too young to forget things she learned with her. And if her mother had lived how would you see Sam and her parents relationship ? Especially, how would Jacob as a Tok'ra storyline have been able in an alternate universe where his wife was still alive ?
                                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Working...
                                X