No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astrogeologist : So, as far as SG-1, I've always been grateful that most of the time, Sam is wearing standard issue BDU's - they aren't even specially cut to show off the female figure.
    I love that they have always dressed Sam like everyone else at the SGC over the years. In fact, I have always liked all the members of SG1 dressed in standard regulation uniforms. I have noticed that lately there has been more emphasis on dressing them differently, in particular Sam, as there have been a lot of Earth based eps with her dressed in other clothes. Sometimes the clothes are ok, other times I think "that is just sooo not Sam", but overall, I don't notice that much how they dress. Jeans are ok, and the occasional tanktop is fine, but I hope they don't make the changes too much more dramatic than that.
    The first Sam based episode that I didn't really like was early on, when they visited that Mongolian type planet, and they dressed her up in that fancy dress and headpiece. Ever since then I have always been greatful that they have kept her simply dressed, practical, and, well, Sam.
    But if they are trying to push the series into a more alien woman Vala style, then they obviously think they need to dress the characters in tight fitting bodysuits for us to want to watch them. So while I don't mind the clothing changes, I don't think that they should emphasise what people are wearing so much, the series doesn't need it.

Completely off that subject, I really enjoyed Gemini, even though Sam was gullible. But what would we rather have had, Sam automatically and cold-heartedly kill Replicarter? That wouldn't have been the Sam we know either.

I would also just like to say that I love Astrogeologists screenshot sequences, they are well picked and really nicely put together.
    Last edited by deepspace; 22 January 2005, 02:03 PM. Reason: added quote

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      In this case, a rep block refers to a Reputation Block, those little green (or red if you've been bad ) blocks under your location. The forum allows other posters give you reputation points for good or bad posts on the forum by clicking on the scales in the corner of your post. The more reputation someone has, and the longer they have been around, the more reputation they can give.

For ever hundred points you get, up until about 500, you get a new block. After that, it gets progressively harder. The upper limit is 11 blocks. Sometimes it's called Green Jello, or in the case of the harder blocks to get, radioactive or naquadah enhanced jello.
      Thanks for the explanation... calling them Jello Blocks seems appropriate for Stargate. Where can we get those Blue Jello blocks that ChopinGal suggested?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
        One of my favorite instances of this was a Darkover novel (a series with decidedly anti-male tendencies in some of it's books), which had a woman dressed in a skimpy bakini like outfit.

For those of you unfamiliar with Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover, it's based on a world that hits a balmy high of 2 C or 35F at midsummer.
        LOL Ah, yes, sex sells!

Comment

i was reading somewhere that sam is a doctor of phisics or something. is that true. can u be a doctor and an officer going on missions? if shes a doctor too why dont they ever call her doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            When it comes to Sam's clothes... I don't see any problems with what she's worn on the show so far - but I'm pretty sure that's because

1. Sam doesn't have to wear a bodysuit/catsuit like they make one of the female cast wear on each Star Trek show.

2. They haven't dressed Sam like any of the 'alien females'... such as Anise... and all scifi shows seem to feel the need to do this to female leads... whether they are playing 'good' or 'evil' roles.

3. Taken over the lifetime of the show, Carter has been in standard BDU's more than 90-95% of the time... so some other clothes in the last couple of seasons has actually been fun.

4. Jack O'Neill sets quite a bit of that 'casual tone'. He's THE facility General now - and he still walks around in BDU's - and they often look sloppy. But it's his tone, that's the way he is. So, the black tank tops don't seem out of place to me at all. And Daniel and Teal'c are walking around in the tank tops too - not just Carter.

5. Carter's personal clothes... are up to personal taste - hers. I've actually enjoyed seeing Carter in female, off-duty clothes... the leather cycling jacket... blue jeans.. a little midriff is OK too. Showing a woman as a woman should be OK. And I'm glad that Sam's not dressing as a middle-aged matron.

6. Again, my reactions are biased by the 30+ years that I've spent watching and reading science fiction. Stargate is pretty rare in how it has treated the character of Sam Carter - and that includes her attire.
            1. No catsuit, thank God! But, then, I remembered one of my favorite gals in her catsuits: Emma Peele! BTW, thanks for the photos in the earlier posts. Emma had a certain 60s edgy style all her own but it seemed to compliment Steed's proper Bowler and brolly

2. SciFi = Evil Woman Alien = Sex and the Stargate = Nirrti in Black = shades of S and M = painful to watch

3. BDUs = our gal Sam and good clean fun

4. The tank top debate = mixed feelings = regs on base a little too relaxed = sloppy = it works only for Jack

5. Sam's personal wardrobe = eclectic = fun = different = AT's very own dress for the big date in Chimera = girly girl, tomboy, motorcycle chick = at home with herself

What AT managed to keep hidden through all her many costume changes and the occasional bare midriff was her navel ring. Do you remember what she said in Lowdown last year? LOL The piercing and the body jewelry made her feel more sexy since she did have to wear BDUs and combat boots most of her screen life!

Comment

Originally posted by sk8r^Ry
              i was reading somewhere that sam is a doctor of phisics or something. is that true. can u be a doctor and an officer going on missions? if shes a doctor too why dont they ever call her doctor?
              Hi sk8r^Ry!

Carter has a PhD (doctorate) in astrophysics, and yes, you can have an advanced degree (Master's or PhD) and still go on missions... in fact, it's a requirement that officers 'up the chain' have some sort of advanced degrees. I think a Master's degree is more common than a PhD.

My current boss is retired Air Force, where he was a Colonel, and he has a PhD in Chemistry (which he didn't use at all in his Air Force posting).

The Gemini and Apollo astronauts were military pilots (jet jockeys) and most of them had degrees (of varying levels) in engineering, aeronautics or something related.

Add in the fact that the SGC is a 'different sort' of military organization which sends out exploratory missions (instead of just combat missions) and Carter's combination of scientific and military expertise are appropriate for 'going through the gate'.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                Hi sk8r^Ry!

Carter has a PhD (doctorate) in astrophysics, and yes, you can have an advanced degree (Master's or PhD) and still go on missions... in fact, it's a requirement that officers 'up the chain' have some sort of advanced degrees. I think a Master's degree is more common than a PhD.

My current boss is retired Air Force, where he was a Colonel, and he has a PhD in Chemistry (which he didn't use at all in his Air Force posting).

The Gemini and Apollo astronauts were military pilots (jet jockeys) and most of them had degrees (of varying levels) in engineering, aeronautics or something related.

Add in the fact that the SGC is a 'different sort' of military organization which sends out exploratory missions (instead of just combat missions) and Carter's combination of scientific and military expertise are appropriate for 'going through the gate'.
                woah i had no clue you needed that kind of education to be an officer. do you know if Gen Oneill has degrees too? Daniel is a doctor but i wonder if Gen Hammond has some degrees too. sorry for being curious about it. I think Sam is the coolest character and last night i saw gemini and i liked the replicarter too. she is a doctor too since she has all sams memories and knowledge i think.

Comment

Hi There - I believe Sam is a Ph.D. in Astrophysics or Quantum Mechanics. Someone here will know the exact field.

If you watch the very first episode of the very first season, COTG, Sam tells Col. O'Neill that it is proper to use her military rank when addressing her rather than her academic title of "Doctor".

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Hi There - I believe Sam is a Ph.D. in Astrophysics or Quantum Mechanics. Someone here will know the exact field.

If you watch the very first episode of the very first season, COTG, Sam tells Col. O'Neill that it is proper to use her military rank when addressing her rather than her academic title of "Doctor".
                    i wish i was called dr. that would be so cool. i wish i had a rank and a doctor but not in physics. is dr weer a doctor in physics too?

Comment

Sam's personal wardrobe = eclectic = fun = different = [...]= at home with herself
                      Wonderfully stated!

'At home with herself'... not having to fit into any specific stereotype... not having to fit into anyone elses 'box'!

I love the idea that our society can progress to the point where a woman could be in a traditionally male-dominated field... and yet still be a woman when she wants to.

'At home with herself'... such a great idea.

Comment

do you know if Gen Oneill has degrees too?
                        The dialogue in the series has never specified what Gen. O'Neill's degrees were in - and that has been the topic of speculation on other threads and in some fanfics... folks have offered engineering, astrophysics (so he can be smarter than Carter), languages (so he can top Daniel), etc. Whatever his degrees are in, typically officers of his rank would have them... of course, Jack O'Neill is anything but typical!

Comment

5. Sam's personal wardrobe = eclectic = fun = different = AT's very own dress for the big date in Chimera = girly girl, tomboy, motorcycle chick = at home with herself

What AT managed to keep hidden through all her many costume changes and the occasional bare midriff was her navel ring. Do you remember what she said in Lowdown last year? LOL The piercing and the body jewelry made her feel more sexy since she did have to wear BDUs and combat boots most of her screen life!
                          Haha, I have a newspaper clipping of Amanda in that Chimera dress at some function or another, and I remember seeing Sam in the dress for the first time and going "Uh, what!? Isn't that Amanda's!?" It was funny for me to find out how she'd brought it to set and said "I wanna wear this dress!" Amanda also has a motercycle herself, with the liscence and everything. SOOO cool! Apparantly though she's not allowed to ride it because of stupid insurance things with the show... as if car's aren't dangerous too

I've also noticed how she's been able to keep the navel ring hidden the whole time. Now that's some sneakiness for ya. She got it... after season 5!!! That's 3 years of keeping hidden, haha. I guess it's out now though, with the baby and everything. You know, stretchyness and such... *cough* yeah.

Sam has a PHD in Quantam Mechanics (Her bio thingy people who join the Explorer Unit Official Fan Club get states this)
                          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I believe O'Neill is a US Air Force Academy grad, and all the service academies are primarily engineering schools. It wasn't until the 1970s that you could even take signifcant amounts of non-engineering subjects.

So engineering of some kind is a safe bet.

Comment

i wish i was called dr. that would be so cool. i wish i had a rank and a doctor but not in physics. is dr weer a doctor in physics too?
                              Dear Sk8

You can be called a doctor one day - just stay in school and find something you're passionate about and keep learning more and more about it! The sky's the limit!

Comment

[QUOTE=MajorSam]Haha, I have a newspaper clipping of Amanda in that Chimera dress at some function or another, and I remember seeing Sam in the dress for the first time and going "Uh, what!? Isn't that Amanda's!?" It was funny for me to find out how she'd brought it to set and said "I wanna wear this dress!" Amanda also has a motercycle herself, with the liscence and everything. SOOO cool! Apparantly though she's not allowed to ride it because of stupid insurance things with the show... as if car's aren't dangerous too

I've also noticed how she's been able to keep the navel ring hidden the whole time. Now that's some sneakiness for ya. She got it... after season 5!!! That's 3 years of keeping hidden, haha. I guess it's out now though, with the baby and everything. You know, stretchyness and such... *cough* yeah. {QUOTE}

I think she wore the dress to the Leo or Saturn Awards event. And she has her own motorcycle?! Wow - no wonder she looks good in leather.

And, yes, I'm sure that navel ring is now a thing of the past ...

Comment

Working...
                                X