Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    i love that idea too!

i'd rather not have her in some far away galaxy, though, because then she couldn't interact with her friends and loved ones.

i'd also like to see the supporting cast be newbies. no big name stars to influence (prob bad) the writing or money being spent.

sally
    Maybe instead of being stranded - Asgard ships are pretty fast, anyway - it could be a longish-term mission to explore the Furling galaxy, only by ship instead of stargate since it's outside the 'gate network. Sam could still touch base with the SGC, Earth and her friends regularly.

I think you're right about bringing in a supporting cast of newbies. Without the safety net of established names and fanbases, the writers would have to create well-developed characters for the show to stand a chance.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      That's it! Thanks, Regan! That one of my favorite Carter lines
      Mine too. I love "Emancipation".

Comment

i replying to something astro said in the samanda whinge nuts thread.

i'd LOVE for sam to command a ship too!

i've thought about it, and i think it would be neat if thor and the sgc had created a new hybrid asgard/earth ship. thor calls it 'the samantha carter', but sam says noooo.

but it's built and commissioned... and thor and the president want sam to be the commander of the ship. sam says yes, but only if they change the name! (she can't see herself saying she's samantha carter, commanding 'the samantha carter' ) so sam comes up with a few names to choose from: 'genesis', 'phoenix', 'explorer', 'grand' 'stargate'. and she still says no to 'enterprise'.
        Landry regarded her with a smile playing about his lips. "The President thought you might like a chance to command the new hybrid ship being developed with the Asgard's assistance."

Sam blinked. They were going to give her command of her own ship? "Uh, sir?"

"Would you take it if it was offered?"

They were asking if she wanted command of her own spaceship? "I... Yes, sir. I'd take the chance to command the new ship."

She glanced at Cam, who didn't look at all pissed off over her possible transfer. In fact, he looked quite amused at the prospect. And it had been tricky dealing with two people at 'command level' on SG-1, even if Sam had been busy with other projects along the way.

Daniel rustled some papers about on the table with a sly grin. "The new Asgard was quite impressed with your...uh...'stupidity' when dealing with previous Asgard problems," he said, "as well as the fact that the replicator version of you nearly managed to take over the galaxy." Sam eyed him, knowing there was a punchline coming and waiting for it. "He thinks - and Thor concurs - that this ship should be called 'The Samantha Carter'."

Oh, no. "Daniel..."

"I think it's got a certain...cadence to it," said Cameron. Sam fixed him with a 'you've got to be kidding me' look. "Well, General O'Neill had one named for him, and so did Daniel."

"Then they can call it after Teal'c," she said, only too aware that her cheeks were red. "If I'm going to command it then it's not going to be named after me." Not that she was insensible to the compliment being paid her by both the Asgard and the President, but Sam was no McKay - there were definite limits to her immodesty.

That smile was still playing about Landry's mouth. "I think that, as the first captain of the ship, you can probably name it what you like - as long as it passes muster with the President and the Asgard."

"Fine," she said. "We can call it...The Athena. Or maybe The Phoenix."

"The Enterprise?" Cam suggested, looking hopeful.

What was with these men and Star Trek?

"No," Sam said firmly. "Besides," she pointed out. "I wouldn't be boldly going where no man has gone before." Although it would be a first to have a major class spacefaring vessel commanded by a woman. There'd been female astronauts, and female officers on all the Earth spaceships, starting with the Prometheus back when Colonel Ronson first commanded it.

Landry coughed. "You can discuss name possibilities later. Right now, the President just wished to let you know that the ship is yours to command if you want it." The General snorted, amused. "He said it's the ship or his firstborn son."

Daniel smirked. "You might want to take the ship, Sam."

--

You know, to heck with another spinoff; it would be so cool to write a fic series where Sam is in charge of her own ship. Like a Virtual Series, or something...

Sel.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          If I can just go OT for a bit here.

I saw my doctor today-got the resutls of my most recent CT scan. The CT scans, since Jan, have shown very small shadows where my tumors had been, with no size changes at all. THey could have been, per the doc, scar tissue or damaged tissue from the tumor-with no real tumor there.

Today's results? There is nothing at all on the CT scans!

Doc says that means I am in "Durable Remission".

I'm so happy I could cry.
          (((Deejay)))
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            Sam: I'm a lousy cook and I couldn't spin, weave or dye if my life depended on it. (Emancipation)
            LOL, yeah but in S6 she lets what's-his-name (the bad guy) know that she makes "a mean souffle". I'm losing it - the episode about the escaped prisoners on the transport ship.

And Deejay, so glad to hear of your good news. Be well!

This should bump us back to Page 1. Good morning, campers!

Comment

Originally posted by seldear
              Landry regarded her with a smile playing about his lips. "The President thought you might like a chance to command the new hybrid ship being developed with the Asgard's assistance."

Sam blinked. They were going to give her command of her own ship? "Uh, sir?"

"Would you take it if it was offered?"

They were asking if she wanted command of her own spaceship? "I... Yes, sir. I'd take the chance to command the new ship."

She glanced at Cam, who didn't look at all pissed off over her possible transfer. In fact, he looked quite amused at the prospect. And it had been tricky dealing with two people at 'command level' on SG-1, even if Sam had been busy with other projects along the way.

Daniel rustled some papers about on the table with a sly grin. "The new Asgard was quite impressed with your...uh...'stupidity' when dealing with previous Asgard problems," he said, "as well as the fact that the replicator version of you nearly managed to take over the galaxy." Sam eyed him, knowing there was a punchline coming and waiting for it. "He thinks - and Thor concurs - that this ship should be called 'The Samantha Carter'."

Oh, no. "Daniel..."

"I think it's got a certain...cadence to it," said Cameron. Sam fixed him with a 'you've got to be kidding me' look. "Well, General O'Neill had one named for him, and so did Daniel."

"Then they can call it after Teal'c," she said, only too aware that her cheeks were red. "If I'm going to command it then it's not going to be named after me." Not that she was insensible to the compliment being paid her by both the Asgard and the President, but Sam was no McKay - there were definite limits to her immodesty.

That smile was still playing about Landry's mouth. "I think that, as the first captain of the ship, you can probably name it what you like - as long as it passes muster with the President and the Asgard."

"Fine," she said. "We can call it...The Athena. Or maybe The Phoenix."

"The Enterprise?" Cam suggested, looking hopeful.

What was with these men and Star Trek?

"No," Sam said firmly. "Besides," she pointed out. "I wouldn't be boldly going where no man has gone before." Although it would be a first to have a major class spacefaring vessel commanded by a woman. There'd been female astronauts, and female officers on all the Earth spaceships, starting with the Prometheus back when Colonel Ronson first commanded it.

Landry coughed. "You can discuss name possibilities later. Right now, the President just wished to let you know that the ship is yours to command if you want it." The General snorted, amused. "He said it's the ship or his firstborn son."

Daniel smirked. "You might want to take the ship, Sam."

--

You know, to heck with another spinoff; it would be so cool to write a fic series where Sam is in charge of her own ship. Like a Virtual Series, or something...

Sel.
              Sel, this is so great! Now, can we get you and Astro on the payroll at Bridge? Methinks we need some women at the helm over there too!!

And I vote for the Athena! As already noted a couple posts earlier, this goddess represents strong qualities in our hero.

Comment

i love that idea too!

i'd rather not have her in some far away galaxy, though, because then she couldn't interact with her friends and loved ones.

i'd also like to see the supporting cast be newbies. no big name stars to influence (prob bad) the writing or money being spent.
                sally
                Isn't it a hoot how TPTB keep bringing up their rising budget lines what with hiring all these so-called front runners?

Yep, as I said before - they're going for The Stargate Waltons: Ben Bob, Vala Bob, Evil Ori Baby Bob, Landry Bob and the heralded return of Jack Bob while T-Bob, Danny Bob and Sammy Bob are out in the woodshed rummaging through shredded pages of scripts which held their chopped-out lines - just not much room in the old homestead anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Isn't it a hoot how TPTB keep bringing up their rising budget lines what with hiring all these so-called front runners?
                  Very. They went from a regular cast of four in Season Eight, to five for Season Nine and six for Season Ten - no wonder their costs are rising, especially when they want "front runners".

I think their best bet would have been to only bring in Beau Bridges as Landry in Season Nine and give people a chance to adjust to one new face before bringing in the others.

Comment

Originally posted by seldear

Sel.
                    They do say that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      LOL, yeah but in S6 she lets what's-his-name (the bad guy) know that she makes "a mean souffle". I'm losing it - the episode about the escaped prisoners on the transport ship.
                      There are people who are very good at baking, but wouldn't be able to make toast and scrambled eggs without disaster. Maybe Sam is one of them.

Comment

I saw my doctor today-got the resutls of my most recent CT scan. The CT scans, since Jan, have shown very small shadows where my tumors had been, with no size changes at all. THey could have been, per the doc, scar tissue or damaged tissue from the tumor-with no real tumor there.

Wow. We never know what people on the internet are going through in their real lives.

Congratulations and best wishes for decades more of favorable CT scans!!!

Comment

I dont think they are bs'ing about the rising production costs. Certainly the new cast would be costing more money, but the existing cast and crew would be earning big bucks now too. But its probably more the fact that the production values of the show itself are getting much, much bigger than they were before. Compare Season 1 to Season 9 for example - nearly every aspect of the show has improved. Costumes to set design to VFX (a big cost), everything is costing more because they are doing things bigger and better. This is of course offset by the fact that MGM is giving them more and more money to work with, but there'll come a point where MGM decide that it isn't finacially viable to continue production on SG1 when they have other avenues to approach (ie the Movie or another spinoff). And that's what the PTB will be talking about...

Comment

haha, while watching my Season 6 boxset, I decided to watch the season 7 lowdown again - Amanda is such a rofl'er

She has her hand up her shirt (for reasons unkown... o.O) and says in this very funny Indian accent "I play in the shadow of the Valley of Death", then looks at the camera and goes "I get to play with myself, its great"

For all of you going to the Shore Leave convention - you have to get Amanda to do a Ralph Wiggum voice (seeing as its her favourite Simpsons character) and record it

Comment

What great news, Deejay435!! I'm so glad for you.

And, ForeverSg1---I'm glad you are safe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                That's wonderful news, DJ!!

I guess we both have something to be thankful for today. This morning I received several emails asking me if my family was ok. I really didn't understand why everyone seemed so concerned until I saw the news reports that said a tornado had touched down multiple times near us last night. In fact, the tornado that hit the small town of Westminster, TX is less than 30 miles from my house. I consider myself extremely lucky indeed and send my prayers out to all the the families who have lost their homes, businesses, and famiy members.
                                eek!!

that's close enough to be scary.

glad things are ok
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X