Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1
    Do you mean she's the Madame Sam

This sounds like crack!fic in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      This is how I see Col. Sam Carter...
      courageous and competent...
      aware of the risks and of deep feeling...
      but strong and heroic.

Photographic by ForeverSG-1

This is super and says so much! Thanks Astro and Kat ...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        Well it did take THREE guys to take her down.
        i know!

i also loved the scene from s8's 'endgame' where (spoilers)

Spoiler:
        sam was tied up, with her hands behind her back, and she *still* fought better than daniel! daniel was in an out-and-out fist fight with the baddie, but he not only lost, but a WOMAN using only her legs beat the guy and won her fight. HA!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435

Paradise Lost almost gets my vote for that locker room scene alone. (Not to mention irritated and frazzled Sam!) That scene just showed so much emotion-showed Sam dealing with her feelings. I suspect Sam often deals with her emotions like that-alone in a dark room. I loved that Teal'c, once he found her, wouldn't let her. And I love that she opened up to him.

you know what my fave scene of 'paradise lost' is? when sam comes into the structure thingie and sees dr lee (a serious one, which i like more than what he's being written as now) packing up to go back to the base. sam was pissed, but not in a very reasonable way. she was *very* human at that moment.

i liked the look on sam's face throughout her talk with lee. i really liked the lighting in this scene too, which gave a 'haunted' look to sam's face. but i especially liked amanda's acting. you could see and hear the vulnerability she was experiencing. this mission of rescue was very personal to her, not only because of the guilt she had for (what she believed) caused the situation, but because of 'who' was missing.

and when dr lee walked off, sam glanced at teal'c... you could see she was ashamed of herself for her outburst. i think she knew teal'c saw through it, like i think he sees through everything concerning her. i think teal'c *gets* sam better than anyone else.

he was her friend in this ep. a true friend. which is why she allowed herself to be so emotionally vulnerable in front of him. breaking down doesn't come easy to sam (specifically doing it in front of someone), so her trusting teal'c at the moment, and teal'c being there for her in the first place... a beautiful friendship of trust and love. unconditionally.

i could go on and on with specific scenes in this ep.

sally
          Last edited by majorsal; 09 May 2006, 04:31 PM.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
            Sadly, in some places, it would be accepted. Hi, there. Coming out of lurkdom to say I've been engrossed in this wonderful conversation of the leadership issue in our favorite fandom, and how the key issues involved pertain to each and every one of our lives. When I got into broadcasting as a teen almost 30 years ago, a woman on the air was still an oddity aside from the Barbara Walters types. Now, female reporters, anchors and producers are common. But just this week, I saw an article about how top management positions still elude most women in the business. So much has changed; yet so much has not.

The simple fact of the matter is that on average, women still make only 75 cents for every dollar a man makes. I've been fortunate enough to hold two middle management positions, but I realize that the opportunities for me are much better in government than they were in my chosen profession.

The Sam/Cam leadership issue is a microcosm of the issues with which society deals each and every day. And it's important that the better-qualified, more skilled woman get the leadership role over the cocky guy with potential and spirit. Why? Because it sends a subliminal message to everyone watching. I don't mean to go left-wing ballistic here, but every guy who sees this play out (like the ones who wrote and produced it) is getting reinforcement of the age-old idea that this is how the world works, and it's ok to pass over extremely competent women in favor of males solely because of gender.

That being said, if the character of Sam could tell us that she passed on the leadership role, and why, maybe it would make more sense. Everyone has the right to pass on a promotion in favor of personal considerations. If Cassie, the loss of her father or a relationship with Jack have made Sam want to reprioritize her life, that's the character's choice, and TPTB could have called in a woman to write it realistically. But they didn't. They hinted at it, but they never came out and said it. Instead, they just told us that Mitchell was in charge. And once he lured Sam back onto the team, they never visited the issue again.

Cop-out. And younger Samandans should take note of this message and every other workplace leadership issue they see played out similarly. Someday, you may encounter it in your professional life, and you'll wish attitudes were different. And many factors, including television shows, mould the attitudes that society carries forward. Sam Carter is one of the strongest female characters ever on TV. That character deserves proper support, not only for her.....but for all of you.

Just MHO.....now, back to catching up on your wonderful posts!
            Have been away and trying to read the many back pages ... this is so worth bringing back up pages later! Such a well written post on an important social issue. Thanks for your personal input, Sg-1fan. For many of us "royal hens", the inequity and gender-bias issue cannot be overlooked vis a vis the demotion of Sam Carter in S9.

A strong, believable woman was such a needed character on television. To her credit, Amanda saw the potential in this character from the very beginning. And then she worked darn hard to play her with such integrity that Sam became a respectable and respected role model for women of all ages.

IMO, the writing in S9 has dishonored her efforts and promoted youth and machismo over maturity and competence. Here is a woman approaching the top of her game in the military (end of S8) and ready to assume more responsibility. What a beautiful thing to promote, but it seems that the glass ceiling exists everywhere. If there really was a valid reason for Sam not resuming full command, at least write that into a decent script as you suggest above. Don't leave us (and the character) hanging!

Okay, stepping down from soapbox ... carry on!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              This is super and says so much! Thanks Astro and Kat ...
              yes it does!

and also... take a look at sam's face. you *know* what she's thinking. she's sorry to be leaving joe faxon behind, and she's afraid (yes, afraid) of what she's going to find when she gets through the other end of the gate. BAAM! ouch, that's gotta hurt

is a hero someone that blindly runs into danger, not caring if he/she dies? is a hero so unselfish and unconcerned for their own safety, that they'll purposely run their vehicle into another to save others? no. that just sounds like cocky and sure of oneself.

a hero is someone that IS afraid. but does it anyways.

that's sam carter.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                yes it does!

and also... take a look at sam's face. you *know* what she's thinking. she's sorry to be leaving joe faxon behind, and she's afraid (yes, afraid) of what she's going to find when she gets through the other end of the gate. BAAM! ouch, that's gotta hurt

is a hero someone that blindly runs into danger, not caring if he/she dies? is a hero so unselfish and unconcerned for their own safety, that they'll purposely run their vehicle into another to save others? no. that just sounds like cocky and sure of oneself.

a hero is someone that IS afraid. but does it anyways.

that's sam carter.

sally
                Great point Sally!
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  you know what my fave scene of 'paradise lost' is? when sam comes into the structure thingie and sees dr lee (a serious one, which i like more than what he's being written as now) packing up to go back to the base. sam was pissed, but not in a very reasonable way. she was *very* human at that moment.

i liked the look on sam's face throughout her talk with lee. i really liked the lighting in this scene too, which gave a 'haunted' look to sam's face. but i especially liked amanda's acting. you could see and hear the vulnerability she was experiencing. this mission of rescue was very personal to her, not only because of the guilt she had for (what she believed) caused the situation, but because of 'who' was missing.

and when dr lee walked off, sam glanced at teal'c... you could see she was ashamed of herself for her outburst. i think she knew teal'c saw through it, like i think he sees through everything concerning her. i think teal'c *gets* sam better than anyone else.

he was her friend in this ep. a true friend. which is why she allowed herself to be so emotionally vulnerable in front of him. breaking down doesn't come easy to sam (specifically doing it in front of someone), so her trusting teal'c at the moment, and teal'c being there for her in the first place... a beautiful friendship of trust and love. unconditionally.

i could go on and on with specific scenes in this ep.

sally
                  Yeah. I love Sam and Teal'c relationship. AT and CJ have done so very much with so little written stuff for them. It's amazing.

I hope we do a 'best of AT acting' poll when we're done with best Sam episodes. I would be so curious to see the difference in votes and reasonings.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                    Yeah. I love Sam and Teal'c relationship. AT and CJ have done so very much with so little written stuff for them. It's amazing.

I hope we do a 'best of AT acting' poll when we're done with best Sam episodes. I would be so curious to see the difference in votes and reasonings.
                    that's why i'm such a s/t junkie

other than that scene in PL, everything we've gotten has been from the actors. they've brougth those little nuances into it that mean so much
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Yes, and they even had her address the whole "eight years of attraction to someone does not automatically make a perfect a relationship!" angle. I loved what she said, I wish there was a transcript somwhere. The writing was FANTASTIC.
                      I agree. But as a S/J shipper (which I know you are too), I know you're not comparing CJ and Danny to Sam & Jack....right?

Cause:

Spoiler:
                      Even though CJ and Danny have had a constant attraction, they've never been playing on the same side. There was so much CJ couldn't share with Danny because of that professional separation. But it was very different from Sam and Jack's professional separation. CJ's role at the White House and Danny's role as a member of the press meant they couldn't share work frustrations. They didn't play on the same team. They didn't go through life-altering experiences together. Because they didn't work together. They've had an attraction that has kept them apart both personally and professionally.

Sam and Jack, on the other hand, have been through all sorts of life-changing experiences together. They've shared everything about work, and their work has allowed each to see the other in character-revealing situations over and over again. They've saved each other's lives, gone to the wall for each other. They just haven't been able to be together personally because of professional rules.

So.....I say the eight years of attraction situations are very different. CJ and Danny don't really know each other very well. They just know that they've been attracted to each other.

Sam and Jack know each other extremely well. They just haven't been allowed to act on their attraction.

I don't know if that made any sense, or if it was significant in any way, but I just felt like I had to say it. Sorry. I've had the flu or something darn near like it for four days.....my head is still a little light.

Still three pages behind and desperately trying to catch up with the thread tonight!!!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        -
                        Ok I may be really weird for posting this, but just take a look at AT and CJ in that photo. Can't you just imagine them both on a movie/television show where they play undercover narcotics officers? AT would play the really tough one, while CJ's character may look tougher on the outside he's really just a big ole teddy bear who keeps AT's character from taking herself and the job too seriously.

/daydream

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          I agree. But as a S/J shipper (which I know you are too), I know you're not comparing CJ and Danny to Sam & Jack....right?
                          I related Sam and Jack more to Josh and Donna instead of CJ and Danny. Look at the similarities:
                          Spoiler:

(1) Boss and Assistant <-------> CO and Subordinate
                          (2) one had to break away from the other - Donna left to join the Russell
                          campain and Sam left for Area 51 (or Jack to DC)

Let's hope that the resolution for S/J is the same as it is for Josh/Donna!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                            I related Sam and Jack more to Josh and Donna instead of CJ and Danny. Look at the similarities:
                            Spoiler:

(1) Boss and Assistant <-------> CO and Subordinate
                            (2) one had to break away from the other - Donna left to join the Russell
                            campain and Sam left for Area 51 (or Jack to DC)

Let's hope that the resolution for S/J is the same as it is for Josh/Donna!
                            Uh.....I was sick Sunday night. Is that Josh/Donna thing definitely decided???? Hope so!

Comment

Okay.....officially caught up! So, I would like to send some congrats to some fellow Samandans on some milestone events!

Happy Belated Birthday, Stargate Barbie!

Congratulations, Skydiver, on 10,000 (wow!) posts!

Congratulations, minigeek, on 1,500 posts!

Congratulations, Mandysg1, on 1,500 posts!

Congratulations, Paradox Realities, on 1,500 posts!

Comment

The photo from Nightwalkers is such a Matrix moment. You gotta love movies that define an entire genre, but truly, Sam's got a real Trinity thing going on there, next to - well - Morpheus. Hey, it's true!!!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X