Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myrth
    Actually I think the tendency to "ship" characters could be because most shipping is our projection of our own desires on to the characters. Everyone has their own point of view and Sal's right, the fact Sam gets shipped every which way but loose is ultimately a testament to how attractive she is. We all want her in one way or another, or we're identifying with her and wanting the partner we're shipping her with
    i said this a long time ago in the teething years of our thread. i live through sam, for everything that she is and does. i'm also extremely attracted to jack/rda, so that aspect is the actual icing on the cake to my sam love.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

But how will Jack/Sam get away with a relationship with all the military restriction on relationships.
      sigpic
      She enjoys fresh decrepit-pegasus patties. 99% Lean pegasus burgers.

I have been reincarnated as Teyla's Gymnastic Dance Sticks! Whoot!

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterans
        But how will Jack/Sam get away with a relationship with all the military restriction on relationships.
        Maybe that's a question better asked in the Jack/Sam ship thread.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm back from Florida! I had a great time, and got a very nice tan while I was gone. (My aunt was such the Sun-tanning nag. "Denise, you need to get back into the sun. Denise you need more color on you. LOL!) My cat is mad at me.

And I went into SERIOUS SG1 and GW withdrawls.

I have a TON of reading to catch up on. But would someone be so kind as to tell me which Sam episodes won for Season 2, 3, and 4? And are we voting on Season 5 this week?

Did I miss anything really important?

Comment

Originally posted by Alterans
            I was wondering if maybe the members could make a list of interview questions that she would answer here at GW.
            if darren gets permimssion to interview her, he MIGHT put up a thread asking folks to submit questions.

but this happens maybe once a year
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

OK, so after giving it not so much thought at all, I'm going with Revelations as the best Sam episode of season five. I think. In my view, season five is mostly a Jack and Daniel season, with Teal'c coming in third. Sam is in the lowly fourth spot, which isn't so lowly at all as far as "Old Stargate" goes. And, given how prominent she's been in other seasons of the show, it's kind of tough to actually complain about it. So I don't really see too many episodes in season five as "Sam" episodes, at least not in the way that In The Line of Duty or Grace or Gemini is a "Sam" episode. Anyway, I can see people voting for any number of different episodes this season, simply because a distinctly "Sam" episode is somewhat lacking.

No doubt some will go right for Ascension, given that it's all about Sam and her home life and given that Amanda Tapping is absolutely fantastic in it. But everyone (including Sam) is so woefully out of character in the episode that I can't possibly pick it for the best of anything. Besides, Orlin is just flat out creepy, and anyone who didn't think so after Ascension must surely think so after The Fourth Horseman. So, that's out.

And no doubt some will vote for Desperate Measures, which is full of Sam goodness. Fighting off her attackers, very nearly escaping while drugged up, and then moving right past it to help hunt down Adrian Conrad all show Sam at her soldiering best. But Sam is more than just a soldier, and for me to pick an episode as her best it needs to strike more than just one chord with me. So, that's out, too.

And I could almost convince myself to pick 2001. Sam gets some great stuff at the end on the Aschen harvester, including her fantastic free fall through the gate. But the episode itself is far more about being a complete follow-up to 2010 than it is about anything else, and the Sam stuff in it is all about playing on the audience's expectations after 2010 rather than about any meaningful, permanent growth for the character. So, that's out.

Which pretty much leaves me with Revelations. What's great about it, you ask? Well, both Sam and Amanda Tapping have some great stuff in the opening scene in Daniel's lab. In the episode we get to see how all of SG-1 are dealing with Daniel's death, but it's through Sam who we're allowed to see the mourning process taking place. She's the epitome of sad in the scene with Gen. Hammond, she's confused and frustrated with Jack not openly sharing her grief, and by the time they're on the cargo ship she's angry at Daniel's not being there anymore and a little angry at Teal'c for not being more open. Revelations also gives us great HologramSam!, as she directs Jack and Teal'c around the mothership. She even refuses to leave Hermiod's lab even while it's being bombarded by gliders, all on the chance that her remaining behind a little longer might make the difference for Jack, Teal'c, and Thor. I tell ya, this one has it all. It's got emotional distress and growth for Sam, it's got her NOT letting it interfere with her job, and it's got SoldierSam!. Oh, and it's fun on a motheship, which has always been a big part of SG-1 (at least until season nine).

So, um, yeah, there it is. I'm picking Revelations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                Sorry guys, I was just using Shattered as an example of what Mandy was saying. I wasn't meaning to make it a huge discussion point, but thanks for all your help and advice My betas are great and wonderful, but they have both suggested Sam/Jack ending (independantly). And I guess Myrth wouldn't suggest it unless it were a good idea.
                Sorry TJ. I was meaning more of a "general you" kind of thing than anything directed more at you or your betas. Was lurking in really quick before leaving work this evening and typed what I did & though the fingers were flying over the keyboard, they neglected to add the 'general' part to 'you.'

Just be true to your (and you too you general you's ) vision of the story that you want to share as you explore and expand your creative writing skills. I know I hadn't written creatively like that since college and it's been a wonderful and many times challenging experience to dust off those rusty skills. And to do it in a fandom like this with such great characters and stories still to tell and situations and emotions and relationships yet to explore.

*coughs* And before I start nodding off to sleep here like I have the past couple evenings I really need to stop and get back to that Sam-centric fic that the muse is screaming at me to pay more attention to.
                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar

*coughs* And before I start nodding off to sleep here like I have the past couple evenings I really need to stop and get back to that Sam-centric fic that the muse is screaming at me to pay more attention to.
                  yes you do

write
                  write
                  write
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

What Sky said. Get writing.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking about what episode to vote for... and golfbooy is right; there are several this season that I could go for including Desperate Measures, Revelations, and Ascention. But I'd also include 48 hours, not because it's a Sam centric episode (which it isn't... it features everyone except Teal'c), but because we see a side of Sam that I don't think we see very often in other eps. We see her forced to interact with someone that she really, really dislikes (Rodney), under terrible circumstances in which she doesn't have an answer. In this episode, Sam fails to find the solution to save Teal'c. And we can see her utter despair and bitter frustration in response to it. She's put in a really difficult position, and we get to see how she reacts to it. It's also the only episode (I think) where we see how she responds to outright derision and criticism of her abilities.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                        Was there ever any doubt? Who could resist a take charge, get the job done, stick your sir where it fits Sam Carter?!

ROTFLOL!
                        Originally posted by minigeek
                        Sam/Jack
                        Sam/Teal'c
                        Sam/Shep
                        Sam/Janet
                        Sam/Vala
                        Sam/(insert name here)

Ya know what? I just want SAM/NOBODY. Can we get SAM/NOBODY for a frickin' change?! FCOL, give the poor woman a rest!

/end rant

Well, it's MONDAY. So
                        I'm with you mini!
                        And I love this emoticon
                        Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Amen sistah!!

Where are all the Daniel/Teyla, Daniel/Hermiod, Jack/Weir, Jack/Teal'c, Teal'c/Istha, Vala/Lee, Vala/Siler, Mitchell/Hive Queen threads? Why is it that it's our Sam that's shipped with every Jack, Shep, and Cammy. I'm not sure if I should be offended or impressed that she's been shipped with just about every man, woman and alien in the galaxy.

Maybe it's because as much as a small, select group of fan may dislike Sam there is a very large fan base who really admire Sam a great deal and while Sam may not be their favorite character, they want to see their favorite characters involved with an ideal mate and that's our gal Sam.

I mean who can ask for anything more? She's drop-dead gorgeous whether she's dressed to the gills or caked in mud and camo paint. She's one of the most intelligent minds on the planets... a true national treasure. She flies planes, loves to ride her motocycle in her spare time and shoots pool like a pool shark. She's witty, caring, compassionate and extremely loyal; and she can do some major @$$ whoopin', if need be.

I mean what's not to love about Sam? Though I can totally understand the reasons behind her being shipped with just about anyone and everyone, I really wish more people would learn to love her for just being Sam and not the other half of a pairing.

Kat
                        So well put, Kat! I took the section in bold and added it to the Scifipedia description for Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                          Hey everyone, I'm back from Florida! I had a great time, and got a very nice tan while I was gone. (My aunt was such the Sun-tanning nag. "Denise, you need to get back into the sun. Denise you need more color on you. LOL!) My cat is mad at me.

And I went into SERIOUS SG1 and GW withdrawls.

I have a TON of reading to catch up on. But would someone be so kind as to tell me which Sam episodes won for Season 2, 3, and 4? And are we voting on Season 5 this week?

Did I miss anything really important?
                          Good to have back Deejay, glad to hear you had a great time, wow look at that tan Its been quiet over at the BJC
                          Good luck getting caught up
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                            decisions on a monday? ::runs away::

on a total sidenote, i'd like to offer people the picture. i lost it a while ago (it made me bery bery sad) and only managed to find it rather recently.
                            http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ities/sam1.jpg
                            now someone tell me they didn't just (pla)thunk.
                            go ahead, i dare ya.
                            Great pic, Paradox!
                            Originally posted by minigeek
                            what bakes my noodle
                            ROTFLOL (you folks are doing this to me a lot tonight... perhaps I should just move the laptop onto the floor...) Also agree with the rest of that post, mini!
                            Originally posted by Deejay435
                            My cat is mad at me.
                            Originally posted by golfbooy
                            OK, so after giving it not so much thought at all, I'm going with Revelations as the best Sam episode of season five. I think. In my view, season five is mostly a Jack and Daniel season, with Teal'c coming in third. Sam is in the lowly fourth spot, which isn't so lowly at all as far as "Old Stargate" goes. And, given how prominent she's been in other seasons of the show, it's kind of tough to actually complain about it. So I don't really see too many episodes in season five as "Sam" episodes, at least not in the way that In The Line of Duty or Grace or Gemini is a "Sam" episode. Anyway, I can see people voting for any number of different episodes this season, simply because a distinctly "Sam" episode is somewhat lacking.

So, um, yeah, there it is. I'm picking Revelations.
                            Great analyses, bink! Wonderful post!
                            Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                            mutter, mutter... where is it?? mutter, shuffle, clank... mutter, mutter... I know I left it around here somewhere...crash...just where did I leave that muse-stimulator?....

Comment

voting for my fave sam ep of s5 - another tough choice for me.

i love 'ascension' because, well, it's a sam ep.

but '2001' had that awesome sam-falling-backwards-through-the-gate sequence.

'desperate measures' i love!

but 'last stand' had one of my fave sam moments in it, when lantesh/elliott was telling sam that lantesh loved sam too, like martouf did. just the lighting and amanda's performance in that scene... i remember it fondly.

'meridian' had some great sam moments, especially when she was trying to heal daniel.

but 'revelations' had great and powerful moments for sam as well (many of which golfbooy named).

but i'm choosing 'desperate measures'. sam whumpage! the only thing i'd change is more focus 'on' sam and her predicament, and more hurt/comfort for her at the end. but sam whiumpage at it's best!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                                With apologies for going wildly OT…

“I love the smell of peat-smoke in the morning…”

From an Oh Yea Times special reporter

And so it came to pass that, on Thursday April 20th 2006, the Royal Accountant Coley, assisted by her faithful manservant 1speed, and hindered by her large and spirited dog Hugo, packed as much of her former life as possible into a large van, and headed north to start her new life on what is thought to be Samanda’s remotest outpost, the Hebridean island of Lewis (which for any overseas readers with access to a world atlas can be found just to the left of Scotland).

The first part of the journey took the intrepid trio five and a half hours to cover 262 miles, arriving after dark at the rather twee Scottish town of Pitlochry, and the sanctuary of a hotel stocking a suitably large range of single malt whiskies. During the journey, 1speed spotted a truck operated by Lys-Line - is the Royal Pharmacist now offering road haulage services as well as her Special Blue Jello?

The next day, the trek continued to the ferry port of Ullapool, a further two and a half hours and 144 miles north from Pitlochry. Prior to boarding the ferry, the van was weighed-in at 4.5 tons, a large proportion of which can apparently be attributed to a cardboard box belonging to the Royal Accountant, mysteriously labelled “Bathroom Stuff”.

Following a smooth sea crossing of 3 hours to Stornoway, and a further 24 miles by road, the travellers finally arrived safely at the Royal Accountant’s new residence in the settlement of Carloway (or Carlabhagh in the native Gaelic).

Saturday was spent in a frenzied blur of unloading and unpacking, during which it was discovered that, in a major packing faux-pas, the Royal Accountant had left the cardboard box containing her Season 1 - 7 Stargate DVD’s behind in Preston!!!

Due to the extreme nature of this crisis (especially as the Royal Accountant currently has no internet access, so cannot contact her fellow Samandans for comfort/relief), Coldplay are to be asked to arrange a special benefit concert to raise the funds required for an emergency parachute drop containing a complete set of replacement DVD‘s.

To be continued…
                                Wonderful post, 1speed! Thanks for letting us know how Coley's move is going -- so good to know that she has you to help! But... no Stargate early season DVDs? (ooops just corrected a typo... DVD's somehow came out as BVDs the first time... and has left an interesting image in my mind...)
                                Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                                “I love the smell of peat-smoke in the morning…”

continued…

As Sunday is still observed as a day of rest on the island, so Coley and 1speed (and Hugo, of course) were finally able to draw breath, and headed out to explore their new surroundings.

It was during this exploration that the Royal Accountant’s previously unseen power to control the ocean became apparent - all she has to do is point her camera at the onrushing waves, and the sea becomes as smooth as glass; as soon as she puts her camera back in its case, the waves resume their ferocious pounding.

To onlookers, this power appears to be pure magic, but 1speed has his suspicions that the Royal Accountant may actually be using a Goa’uld hand device cleverly disguised as a Nikon D70.

These suspicions were reinforced later in the week when a sinister side to this power was revealed. During a gentle walk on a local beach, the Royal Accountant, apparently irritated by 1speed’s habit of spending 20 minutes or more in the bathroom each morning, summoned a freak wave which left him standing up to his knees in cold North Atlantic seawater. Of course, it may just have been a ploy to get him stripped down to his underpants…

Yet more sinister goings-on occurred on the pair’s last evening together. On returning to the house after another enjoyable day spent exploring, Outdoor!Coley disappeared into the bedroom, and was replaced by what 1speed believes to have been a stunningly glamorous RepliColey, who insisted on treating him to a meal at a local restaurant. Luckily for what little remains of 1speed’s sanity, things quickly returned to normal after the meal when RepliColey vanished and Outdoor!Coley re-emerged from the bedroom, apparently none the worse for her experience.

Sadly all good things must come to an end, and so early next morning a heartbroken 1speed caught the ferry back to the mainland alone, leaving the Royal Accountant and her large and spirited dog Hugo to their new life.

Thanks to all who sent messages of support - as soon as we hear anything from Coley, we’ll pass it on.
                                ROTLOL with your wonderful sense of humor, 1speed! I sure hope that you and Coley will still get in lots of bike rides and such...

Comment

Working...
                                X