No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want the show to end, because that make me sad , but, I don't want them to continue if it's going to be horrible-it should end on a high note. When I started watching last year, I didn't even know if it was still in production(reruns got me interested...not S9!). So if it does end, I can be happy I at least got two more years out of it. If finances were such an issue, why bring in all these new actors you're going to have to pay loads for? It could have remained a 3 man team and held a lot of interest. New people=uninterested fan. To keep on topic...if it is the last season, where will we get our AT fix?

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
      To keep on topic...if it is the last season, where will we get our AT fix?
      given her talent, i have no doubt that she'll find employment. It's my impression that she's thought of quite highly in the vancouver area

and, presuming atlantis continues for a bit, i'm sure she'll guest there at least once
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seldear
        And Amanda did it brilliantly. As she always does.

I'm in full agreement with the person who said that AT doesn't belong to the school of overacting. Subtle and believable - and utterly, utterly brilliant.

Sel.
        sel?

HI!!

*knows sel from the s/j yahoo group*

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          When we finish the favorite Sam episodes voting, we should do favorite AT acting episodes. Entity is one of my favorite AT acting episodes, but it's not so much of a Sam episode in the sense of development or action, IMHO. I think in the commentary they said the cast was joking that Amanda got to sleep through the episode b/c the Entity had no lines. But really nothing could be further from the truth. She's totally engaged. She *is* the Entity, not Sam.
          and if i'm remembering this right, the director let amanda set the tone for how she was going to portray the entity. that's, like, WOW (for amanda *and* director) in my book!

sally
          Last edited by majorsal; 25 April 2006, 06:54 PM.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

just a reminder

Okay Stargate fans! This is absolutely the *last* update before the
            nomination period ends, so listen up!

Nominations for the Stargate Fan Awards will close on April 30th.
            That's
            this Sunday! We've already received so many nominations. It’s really
            great!

Without spilling the beans too much, Stargate Atlantis is ahead of SG-1
            and
            Slash noms are leading the pack for both. *Now* is the time to send in
            nominations to be sure that the type of fic that *you* like to read is
            represented and recognized in the 2006 Stargate Fan Awards!

If *you* don't nominate them, your corner of the fandom won't be
            properly
            represented!

Go to: http://www.stargatefanawards.com/index.shtml to enter your
            nominations and make sure that the fic you enjoy receives the
            recognition
            it deserves.

There are only a few more days to submit nominations so what are you
            waiting for? Go forth and nominate!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seldear
              And Amanda did it brilliantly. As she always does.

I'm in full agreement with the person who said that AT doesn't belong to the school of overacting. Subtle and believable - and utterly, utterly brilliant.

Sel.
              Everyone...prepare for an Amanda!gushfest.

Okay now, you have been warned.

I think, Sel, this sets Amanda heads and tails over most actors and actresses out there because she is able to communicate so much with so little.

I rewatched Reckoning last night and was amazed. Seriously, this woman blows me away.

In the segment with the System Lords at the very beginning, the Jaffa drag her in the room and we all see Samantha Carter. Her clothing, her hair, her facial expressions, her tone of voice. It IS Sam.

Except, it's not. It's Replicarter PRETENDING to be Sam.

So for several brief moments we see her interact with the others there as Sam. She corrects them about her rank, "Actually, I'm a Colonel now." And then Yu approaches her (no...not you, Yu). He sees her as Sam and questions why she's there.

Then everything changes. Her face contorts as she shishkabobs You...er...Yu. She turns to face the others and the effect is jawdropping.

In a split second, she goes from Colonel Samantha Carter of the Tauri to something much, much darker. The façade drops and her expression empties itself of the light and energy and pathos we're used to seeing there.

Nothing is said but her eyes communicate volumes...that she is a cold blooded, psychopathic killer. No one could react...they were all too stunned. They all knew without question they were about to die in a most gruesome manner and there was no way to avoid it. Her eyes remain emotionless as she moves toward her helpless prey.

As the scene ends, we see the exterior of the space station the System Lords use to congregate and the arrival of the Replicator ship, I guess to sell the idea that the woman we just saw was in fact Replicarter.

But did we really need that? I don't think so. Her onscreen transformation to the face of evil was convincing enough for me to know who she was.

And this is another example of why I think she is one of the most underestimated actresses out there and another reason that I will follow her career wherever it may take her...which I think should be to the stars and beyond.

/end Amanda!gushfest

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

oh yeah. and those little bits are part of what makes reckoning/threads/moebius THE gems of s8

so well written and acted, such great little character bits

just all around good

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  I had someone bring it in to work today - I tried to watch it - I couldn't. I really love AT, but that movie, not so much. And unfortunately, I can't watch just her bits, I'm not able to do that with a movie. Either I can watch it, or I can't. Idiocyncracy of mine I guess. Ah well. Amanda is so talented, she was just in a totally different league than most of the rest of that cast. I'm glad for her sake that she had a chance to play someone different than Sam Carter for at least a while. My hope for next time is that it's in something that's actually watchable! (ducking!)

minigeek
                  It's okay mini, a valid critique. The movie was typical Lifetime fare ... nothing brilliant. You have the attractive and wealthy heroine in danger, her extremely handsome husband and/or significant other, the two photogenic kids, ideally one of each sex, and the typical jaguar or porsche or Mercedes Benz and the magnificent house. And then you have the low-paid cop (Amanda) knocking on the door. She was totally low-key and I didn't see any scene where she came across as comical or bungling as we were led to believe. Confused about that one. Did anyone here mention that it was a Stargate cast: PDL (who must be on the South Beach diet) and his wife and SA's Beckett also in a cameo role. PDL was actually quite good in his small part. I was so hoping for AT to get to wrestle with the bad guy and show us some of her Emancipation hand-to-hand but, sigh, that wasn't meant to be. After all, she wasn't the lead here. Oh please please please - someone up there in Canadian TV, give the gal a major role in a telemovie. It's about time!

I have to check out the Whingenuts ... leave it to you guys to start something crazy like that. RL is keeping me too too busy and stressed lately. Big hello to everyone and, Sky, put me down for 2010 for S3 or 4 or whatever it is we're voting for this week! Amanda got to stretch her acting muscles in that one in so many powerful scenes: her reaction to the revelation that she won't be able to have children; her anger and sense of betrayal from the confession by Joe that he knew what the Aschen were up to; her feeling the tension between Jack and Joe; her taking the risk and eating humble pie to go to Jack's cabin and then listen to his rant; her walk up the ramp with Daniel and meeting Jack on the other side; and of course the great ending where she really does save the planet ... as she scoops the paper from Jack's dead hand. I love her body language as she falls forward - how can producers and writers take this terrific lady for granted?!

The story itself was brilliant and that's why I think it is the best of the season because it took us forward and backward at the same time and played off so many arcs.

Keeper of the Flame, Astro my friend - you are back home where you belong!! Yowza!

Peace, RL calls again! CG

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Everyone...prepare for an Amanda!gushfest.

Okay now, you have been warned.

I think, Sel, this sets Amanda heads and tails over most actors and actresses out there because she is able to communicate so much with so little.

I rewatched Reckoning last night and was amazed. Seriously, this woman blows me away.

In the segment with the System Lords at the very beginning, the Jaffa drag her in the room and we all see Samantha Carter. Her clothing, her hair, her facial expressions, her tone of voice. It IS Sam.

Except, it's not. It's Replicarter PRETENDING to be Sam.

So for several brief moments we see her interact with the others there as Sam. She corrects them about her rank, "Actually, I'm a Colonel now." And then Yu approaches her (no...not you, Yu). He sees her as Sam and questions why she's there.

Then everything changes. Her face contorts as she shishkabobs You...er...Yu. She turns to face the others and the effect is jawdropping.

In a split second, she goes from Colonel Samantha Carter of the Tauri to something much, much darker. The façade drops and her expression empties itself of the light and energy and pathos we're used to seeing there.

Nothing is said but her eyes communicate volumes...that she is a cold blooded, psychopathic killer. No one could react...they were all too stunned. They all knew without question they were about to die in a most gruesome manner and there was no way to avoid it. Her eyes remain emotionless as she moves toward her helpless prey.

As the scene ends, we see the exterior of the space station the System Lords use to congregate and the arrival of the Replicator ship, I guess to sell the idea that the woman we just saw was in fact Replicarter.

But did we really need that? I don't think so. Her onscreen transformation to the face of evil was convincing enough for me to know who she was.

And this is another example of why I think she is one of the most underestimated actresses out there and another reason that I will follow her career wherever it may take her...which I think should be to the stars and beyond.

/end Amanda!gushfest

TOTALLY AGREE!!

hands amanda her own academy award

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Lol no doubt Sky... personally I liked it.. nice to see something from TIIC that didn't smell like a cheer leader's underwear for a change. And ultimately financial reasons are always what closes a series down. Declining numbers, tougher job to justify the budgetary spend, rising salaries (Gosset Jnr & Bridges are not cheap names but that's a rant I won't go into) all equals the end of the show. It will be interesting to see what kind of ratings they get for the premier of 10 as opposed to the numbers for the 200th ep and on-going with Rick there.

I'd really like to see it end with 10 (retaining some grace and dignity) and go into a movie with the original SG-1.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      raises her hand...as to brad's interview...didn't i say that they'd cite financial issues for canning it??????
                      sigpic

Comment

oh yeah. and those little bits are part of what makes reckoning/threads/moebius THE gems of s8

so well written and acted, such great little character bits

just all around good
                        yes! so why oh why did they get rid of that character?!?

thinks we need a replicarter smiley

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

oh yeah, lifetime movies are not knows for thier dramatic depth and appeal. They're like movies of the week....cranked out to fill 40+ weeks of the year (ifn ot a full 52)

there are some gems, some stinkers, and most are mediocre at best

but it's exposure and work, which is the key

sigpic

Comment

There was actually something I noticed in Entity that I thought was just seriously cool... and possibly a testament to the kind of detail Amanda addresses. When she's the Entity in the hospital bed, if you watch her fingers over the keyboard, she's presenting a tremor in them. Not the kind of thing most people would pick up, but I have a persistant tremor in my left hand from a stroke and if that was an intentional action on Amanda's part, she did a frickin brilliant job of it.

Just wanted to add that to the list of TBA (The Brilliant Amanda) points on offer

Originally posted by majorsal
                            and if i'm remembering this right, the director let amanda set the tone for how she was going to portray the entity. that's, like, WOW (for amanda *and* director) in my book!

sally
                            sigpic

Comment

oh yeah, lifetime movies are not knows for thier dramatic depth and appeal. They're like movies of the week....cranked out to fill 40+ weeks of the year (ifn ot a full 52)

there are some gems, some stinkers, and most are mediocre at best

but it's exposure and work, which is the key
                              Yes but even the stinkers are 100% better than the movies made for SciFi (Killer wasps anybody)
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                                Unfortunately yes. And we are not amused.lolol
                                I agree!
                                talk about cheese on a plate!!!!
                                Erm... this is a reference that I don't know.... cheese on a plate? (Astrog is scratching head in puzzlement... and wondering what strange (or boringly mundane) responses she'll get if she googles the phrase...)

Comment

Working...
                                X