Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Have you all checked out the Brad Wright interview on the gateworld homepage? I don't know about the rest of ya, but it reinforced once again (for me - and I think more than ever now), they KNOW that season ten will be the last. They know it, they've been told it, and they're preparing people for it in as many little ways as they can. Some good things will probably come of it though, if I may be so bold as to speculate. Certainly Sam/Jack shippers will probably end up having a great big party in the street this year (which will hopefully be handled in a way that's respectful to both Sam and O'Neill's characters - but I'm cautiously optimistic about it, too), and apart from that, I think a lot of interrelationship ties for SG-1 as a team and a family will get at least a modicum of greater attention from the writers because of it. We might even get some poignant character moments, given that they already know it's the last blast - so to speak. So who can say? But that's my speculation... and I'm stickin' to it!

mini(the bittersweet)geek
    I thought the very same thing as I read this - what really caught my eye was ""Sadly, it could have gone on longer had we rebranded it," this quote right here said to me he knows something and someone noticed the poor ratings and then I see his very next quote -- "One of the problems of SG-1 going into its tenth season, and potentially further on into its eleventh, is that when a show has been on for a very long time ... there's a lot of money that is spent that stops going on screen." -- as backpedaling so as not to have given something away (sort of like how Jennifer Garner was caught out on Leno (or was it Letterman) letting the "she" comment "slip" out before she had the baby). IMO it all leads to the grand excuse as to why they were cancelled - it would never be the fault of TPRTS, thier poor choices, their bad writing, their poor characters, their bad choices, their lack of judgment, their poor choices, their being out of touch with the fan base, their bad choices, and their having blinders on when they focus on "their" wants and their puerile bunk.

I found the following incredibly insulting to AT/MS/CJ -- "Stargate SG-1 received a new lease on life last year, with new cast members . . . ." This implies that the show would have died without the "new cast" and that it "needed" rejuvenation and that the new cast gave the show new life - what bunk that is and I am disappointed in the article because that is a huge slap to the BIG 3. The show in S8 was heads and tails above S9 and S9, mostly, IMO due to the very poorly written and introduced "new characters" has proven nothing but damaging, including in the ratings, and and has just furthered the damage to the credibility (what is left of it) of the people in charge of this show. If they had not messed with the formula my $$$ is on S9 having done substantially better in the ratings - I am sure they would have kept their 2.1 and 2.2s.

I am disappointed in the recent articles/interviews done by GW because they seem to have been basically soap boxes for TPRTS to make sweeping, insulting comments and cover your a$$ statements about why the show would be cancelled. I was particularly disappointed in the handling of cooper - to let him basically have a forum for his pimping - no hard questions nothing thought provoking about the issues that have created huge fan disgust and negativity and criticisms of S9 - nothing about how the criticism has affected the ratings, etc.

I am disappointed in Brad Wright. sorry - I guess this is OT - can someone tell me where that other OT thread is?
    Last edited by binkpmmc; 03 May 2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      Have you all checked out the Brad Wright interview on the gateworld homepage? I don't know about the rest of ya, but it reinforced once again (for me - and I think more than ever now), they KNOW that season ten will be the last. They know it, they've been told it, and they're preparing people for it in as many little ways as they can. Some good things will probably come of it though, if I may be so bold as to speculate. Certainly Sam/Jack shippers will probably end up having a great big party in the street this year (which will hopefully be handled in a way that's respectful to both Sam and O'Neill's characters - but I'm cautiously optimistic about it, too), and apart from that, I think a lot of interrelationship ties for SG-1 as a team and a family will get at least a modicum of greater attention from the writers because of it. We might even get some poignant character moments, given that they already know it's the last blast - so to speak. So who can say? But that's my speculation... and I'm stickin' to it!

mini(the bittersweet)geek
      yes, i read it. and got the same feeling.

i actually want season 10 to be the last. season 9 and their new stuff didn't impress me, or should i say, make me want to watch this new version of stargate. especially when the reasons why *i* watched became secondary concerns for the show.

If this is (for sure) the end of stargate sg1, i completely and totally want the sam/jack thing to go forward with a nice and happy (and romantic) resolution.

another thing i'd *really* like to see dealt with (sam wise) is -- spoiler for s8

Spoiler:
      i want to see 'some' version of jacob come back, because i solely miss the sam-dad relationship. i miss the sam-janet one too, but the sam-dad one was very special and made even more poignant because of amanda's and carmen's off-screen relationship.

if they had an alternate reality jacob come back, i'd be more than fine with that. killing jacob off was just... sad.

i'd also like to see the sam-cassie relay explored more.

if it's the end....

*sam and jack relay strong and happening.

*sam moving off of sg1 (let mitchell have it) to something bigger and better. like her own ship, or commanding the beta site. or going back to r&d and commanding the whole shebang. sam's a WONDERFUL commander; let her command.

*more closures with certain ppl in her life (cassie, and alt versions of janet and jacob). i also want it known that she'd stay in touch with daniel and teal'c.

*let the show end like 'hercules' did; the adventures still go on. BUT, i'd like sam, daniel, teal'c, and jack to be able to move on to other aspects of their lives. let the sgc adventures continue with landry, mitchell, vala, etc (which i won't be seeing).

*have the movie be *just* about the original sg1, who would be brought back together for whatever plot the movie could come up with.

if season 9 would have been like s8's 'it's good to be king' (with the sam-daniel-teal'c team), i wouldn't actually be wanting this show to end.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        wouldn't it be neat if amanda did a movie with mike myers (like an 'austin powers' movie)? i'd LOVE to see that!

k, back to your regularily scheduled sam/amanda talkage.

sally

post courtesy of pm with mandy
        Ooooh and they could film it in Toronto in their old home town, and I could drive up and and stand behind the barricade freezing my butt off, just to see them act out a scene *Wonders if mini would bring me a cup of coffee?*
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          .... it would never be the fault of TIIC, thier poor choices, their bad writing, their poor characters, their bad choices, their lack of judgment, their poor choices, their being out of touch with the fan base, their bad choices, and their having blinders on when they focus on "their" wants and their puerile bunk.

I found the following incredibly insulting to AT/MS/CJ -- "Stargate SG-1 received a new lease on life last year, with new cast members . . . ." This implies that the show would have died without the "new cast" and that it "needed" rejuvenation and that the new cast gave the show new life - what bunk that is and I am disappointed in the article because that is a huge slap to the BIG 3. The show in S8 was heads and tails above S9 and S9, mostly, IMO due to the very poorly written and introduced "new characters" has proven nothing but damaging, including in the ratings, and and has just furthered the damage to the credibility (what is left of it) of the people in charge of this show. If they had not messed with the formula my $$$ is on S9 having done substantially better in the ratings - I am sure they would have kept their 2.1 and 2.2s.

I am disappointed in the recent articles/interviews done by GW because they seem to have been basically soap boxes for TIIC to make sweeping, insulting comments and cover your a$$ statements about why the show would be cancelled. I was particularly disappointed in the handling of cooper - to let him basically have a forum for his pimping - no hard questions nothing thought provoking about the issues that have created huge fan disgust and negativity and criticisms of S9 - nothing about how the criticism has affected the ratings, etc.

I am disappointed in Brad Wright. sorry - I guess this is OT - can someone tell me where that other OT thread is?
          Join the Whinge Nuts...
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....57&postcount=1

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
            So I just watched the ET Canada interview with RDA, it has to do with SG1 so I guess I'll post it here. I did my best to transcribe it
            There were a lot of clips from MacGyver which was 20 years ago!

The interview went on while the rest of the cast was seated as we have seen in the 200th episode picture.
            I'm intrigued by the fact that the interview referred to him as the EP of SG-1. I wish that meant that he came back to fulfill a stronger behind the scenes role but I fear it was only outdated info.

Oops. Off topic.

HEY! AIN'T SAM DE COOLEST?!??

(whew. On topic status restored.)

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Yes, she's expressive but doesn't mug or overdo it. You don't watch her and think "acting school expression #43" like you do with some actors. I've read that the best actors can express what their characters are thinking and feeling without words & I think AT does a great job at that.
              and this goes back to my fave amanda acting moment, when 'entity' was steaming mad and all amanda was able to show of it was facial twitches and such... i remember watching it the first time and getting goose bumps. amanda showed someone having a hissy fit, but without yelling or throwing her arms about. *that's* hard to do!

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

woohooo- Carter just went to 500 votes -- I knew the Carter AT fans had it in them - now - let's go for 600!!!!!!

Comment

and this goes back to my fave amanda acting moment, when 'entity' was steaming mad and all amanda was able to show of it was facial twitches and such... i remember watching it the first time and getting goose bumps. amanda showed someone having a hissy fit, but without yelling or throwing her arms about. *that's* hard to do!

sally
                  And Amanda did it brilliantly. As she always does.

I'm in full agreement with the person who said that AT doesn't belong to the school of overacting. Subtle and believable - and utterly, utterly brilliant.

Sel.

Comment

yes, i read it. and got the same feeling.

i actually want season 10 to be the last. season 9 and their new stuff didn't impress me, or should i say, make me want to watch this new version of stargate. especially when the reasons why *i* watched became secondary concerns for the show.

another thing i'd *really* like to see dealt with (sam wise) is --

i'd also like to see the sam-cassie relay explored more.
                    Definitely. Throw us a bone at least. Mention her.

if it's the end....

*sam moving off of sg1 (let mitchell have it) to something bigger and better. like her own ship, or commanding the beta site. or going back to r&d and commanding the whole shebang. sam's a WONDERFUL commander; let her command.

sally
                    I agree that Sam's a great commander and she should have her own command when the show ends. (of course she *should* be commanding SG1 now *explicitly* rather than just by being the most competent officer on the team. grumble grumble)I really think the Area 51 thing would have worked best if she got temporarily assigned to desk duty there b/c she's the best mind they have AND she was heroically wounded and had to take time off SG1 to recover. I'm angling for that alternate season 9 here again, aren't I?

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                      *yelps* Not that I'd be complaining or anything -- betcha Teal'c is quite the handyman.
                      he's a helluva cook too
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

raises her hand...as to brad's interview...didn't i say that they'd cite financial issues for canning it??????

sigpic

Comment

sally
                          When we finish the favorite Sam episodes voting, we should do favorite AT acting episodes. Entity is one of my favorite AT acting episodes, but it's not so much of a Sam episode in the sense of development or action, IMHO. I think in the commentary they said the cast was joking that Amanda got to sleep through the episode b/c the Entity had no lines. But really nothing could be further from the truth. She's totally engaged. She *is* the Entity, not Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc

woohooo- Carter just went to 500 votes -- I knew the Carter AT fans had it in them - now - let's go for 600!!!!!!
                            Yea we only need 100 more!

Hey bink, could you copy your post to the whinge nuts so we can whine and rant

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=27509&page=10
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              raises her hand...as to brad's interview...didn't i say that they'd cite financial issues for canning it??????
                              But Skyyyyy, it had to be the money, it couldn't be all the reason's bink stated. I mean the show wuz sooo good the ratings went sky high because the newbies brought in all the new viewers....oops to be continued on the Whnge Nuts
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                When we finish the favorite Sam episodes voting, we should do favorite AT acting episodes. Entity is one of my favorite AT acting episodes, but it's not so much of a Sam episode in the sense of development or action, IMHO. I think in the commentary they said the cast was joking that Amanda got to sleep through the episode b/c the Entity had no lines. But really nothing could be further from the truth. She's totally engaged. She *is* the Entity, not Sam.
                                works for me

we can do another poll ina few weeks

and shameless plug, if you haven't voted, do so before sunday

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X