Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by scifi_girl
    Shocking. When i try and talk to my mum about stargate she looks at me like im nuts. if i ask to watch stargate cause its on sky all i get is a comment saying that "oh the bill is on" or "cant you tape it". She's only watched a few episodes me, some season 9 and some from earlier seasons when i've insisted on watching my dvd's in the living room. one thing i noticed when she watches with me is that she can get into the earlier seasons episodes, she asks questions and stuff, which is cool but in season 9 episodes shes just not interested. the first time she saw cameron in season 9 she turned to me and said "where did they get him from, what happened to sam".

    congats to your sister, i am learning to drive before long its becoming a necessity and i am 22 so maybe i should. am glad i live in wales so now you cant run me down
    Well, my mum is the reason I got into Stargate. My sister and I were forced to watch Trek, Quantum Leap, Dr Who and the like as children. She rented the original Stargate film, which I watched and enjoyed, but when the series started, I wasn't going to watch it. She said "You will sit down and watch this, young lady." And the rest, as they say, is history.

    Even if she does make bizarre comments, it's great having her to chat to. She's much more into sci-fi than I am, and went on a rant about how season ten looks like "V". Yes, she's still sore about that. She missed the end of that series because she was in hospital giving birth to me. But I made up for it by buying her the DVDs last year

    Her favourite character has always been Teal'c up until now, although she loved Sam too. She always said that ship was a waste of good screen time and that Sam deserved better storylines than just being one half of a pair.

    Maybe you're right. I have got an AU mum. Either that or there's a subliminal message hidden in them there episodes.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

    Comment


      Originally posted by kazzyk
      Never been in here before but as a Sam/AT fan I thought I would post about my 7 yr old grandaughter--who will only waer her hair like Sams.
      All 4 kids love Stargate 1-8 and every Friday they come over and we break out the DVD's.

      The 7 yr old just loves Sam and is the only one out of 3 girls that doesnt have long hair because it has to be like Sams
      aww thats so cute. They have excellent taste in liking stargate

      sig by starlover1990

      Comment


        Originally posted by scifi_girl
        the first time she saw cameron in season 9 she turned to me and said "where did they get him from, what happened to sam".
        wow, what a coincidence, that's exactly what i said.

        TJ, do know know what made your mom turn so far against sam? i don't object to her voicing her opinion but "old crow", "dry humourless witch", and "the weight she's put on" (what does that have to do with anything? for that matter, what weight?) seem a little...harsh. what made her turn?
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Skydiver
          Guys, i have to say something here, and i'm saying it as a mod, not as a poster

          I know folk have read what tracy reported her mom saying. and yeah, it's not the nicest thing to read...but it's her mom's opinion and her mom is entitled to it.

          heck, my mom thinks that all scifi is a stupid waste of time. doesn't effect how i think or feel about it.

          I've also heard that folks have been asking tracy to take down her remark, afraid that amanda might read it and be upset.

          well, with all due respect to amanda, i'll say what i've said in the torri thread when the same issue has come up...she's a big girl and i doubt she's made it this far inher career without hearing some criticism.

          we will NOT, i repeat NOT start censoring this thread for fear that amanda might read something upsetting. We have always allowed pro and con comments and those will continue to be allowed.

          Yes, things will be respectful but we will not start down that slippery slope of censoring each other and dictating which comments are or are not allowed or welcome.

          Anyone tries to do this, send them to me.
          Well I have to admit, I was one of the people who had asked that the comments be placed in a spoiler tag. Yes we allow both pro and con comments to be made and I don't think that should stop. However, the comments in this case were discussing Amanda as well as the character Sam and this is a pro-Sam/Amanda thread so I do not think it was wrong for some of us to be bothered by the post.

          We wouldn't allow someone to come into the thread and post that they hated Sam and thought she was an old crow, or at least I hope we wouldn't allow someone to post such things in a Sam is a Great character thread. My issues aren't with TJ's original comments. Everyone has the right to post their opinions. Once I read her post, I could respond to it and move on. My issue lines in the fact that if twenty people respond to TJ and quote her post, the post is then repeatedly forced upon those of us who really considered it to be a bit rude. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by asking that they place the quote in spoilers, but I thought I was polite about doing so and by not bringing it up in a public situation. I guess I wrong in my assumption.



          Kat
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 April 2006, 11:42 AM.

          Comment


            Yeah...Mitchell...where'd he come from??? I did start watching the show in season 9, though S9 wasn't the season I saw an ep from. If it had been...I don't know...Jack kinda stuck me on the show, and Sam made me stay. Of course I love all the characters...except the newbies...which I tolerate...except Vala. I saw all 9 seasons of SG-1 in 6 months and can say...bring back Jack!

            As for Sam being half of a pair...they never really presented her that way. She is always competent and can handle herself. It's just she's SO cute with Jack, but she doesn't NEED him. She proved that in S9. She's a great character all on her own!

            Comment


              Originally posted by ReganX
              I'd prefer to see Sam as leader of SG-1.

              For one thing, there are a few SG team leaders of higher rank who have been in command of teams longer than Sam was, even if you credit her for a year in 'co-command'. I can't really complain about Cameron getting to be leader of SG-1 ahead of Sam and at the same time champion her being bumped up to second in command of the SGC when Colonel Dixon, for example, outranks her.

              combine the roles of soldier, leader and tactician with the role of scientist.
              i agree with you on this one. i think she was really good as leader of sg-1, and we got to see solider sam and scientist sam which is always great

              sig by starlover1990

              Comment


                Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                As for Sam being half of a pair...they never really presented her that way. She is always competent and can handle herself. It's just she's SO cute with Jack, but she doesn't NEED him. She proved that in S9. She's a great character all on her own!
                Nicely put.

                Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                  Well, my mum is the reason I got into Stargate. My sister and I were forced to watch Trek, Quantum Leap, Dr Who and the like as children. She rented the original Stargate film, which I watched and enjoyed, but when the series started, I wasn't going to watch it. She said "You will sit down and watch this, young lady." And the rest, as they say, is history.

                  Even if she does make bizarre comments, it's great having her to chat to. She's much more into sci-fi than I am, and went on a rant about how season ten looks like "V". Yes, she's still sore about that. She missed the end of that series because she was in hospital giving birth to me. But I made up for it by buying her the DVDs last year

                  Her favourite character has always been Teal'c up until now, although she loved Sam too. She always said that ship was a waste of good screen time and that Sam deserved better storylines than just being one half of a pair.

                  Maybe you're right. I have got an AU mum. Either that or there's a subliminal message hidden in them there episodes.
                  well i dont think you have an au mum, everyone has an opinion. imho i think its cool you have your mum to talk about stargate with. no-one in my house watches stargate except for me, and no-one in my house likes sci-fi either, so i have no idea where my love of stargate and sci-fi has come from. as i said in an earlier post sometimes my mum will watch it with me or make a comment on the show but cause she doesnt know that much about the show we dont really talk about it. ah well i can always talk to myself none of my friends watch stargate either so the only ones i can really tlk about the show with is you guys on gateworld.

                  all the pics people have posted of sam are amazing. i couldnt have my hair short, would look awful, so ill stick with my long hair i guess and l.a. doyle your right shes competent on her own, and has proven on more than one occassion that she can handle herself

                  sig by starlover1990

                  Comment


                    favorite sam hairstyle



                    <plathunk>

                    i don't mind it a bit longer (though as someone said, the WoO hair hurts my enjoyment of the whole ep) but it can't be in/near her eyes! even if she can put it behind her ears! you have ANY IDEA how annoying that is when you're trying to run/march/shoot/shadow a target? even stand at attention and it falls in front of your face!? grrrr....

                    EDIT: wow. new record for the stupidest rant i've ever had.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

                    Comment


                      I didn't make my rant to bag on anyone. HOnestly. And there is adifference between 'hey put that behind a cut' and 'take it down, you might offend her'

                      There is also a difference between 'you woulnd't believe what so and so said' and someone coming in here to maliciously troll

                      I totally appreciate that folks want to protect amanda. I do too. But we can't infringe on the rights of others in the name of protection.

                      If we start down this slippery slope, what's next? We hear in an interview that AT hated her hair cut from a certain episode so we discourage anyone from posting copies of that hair cut? or we disallow any discussion of an episode that she didn't like? Or, we hear that she hates this certain tv show and we ban all discussion of it because she may not like it??

                      Where does it end?
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?


                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        I don't really have a favorite hair style for Sam (I like all of them), but just wanted to say that short hair doesn't always work well on women, but it looks great on AT.
                        Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

                        Comment


                          There's been periodic discussion here regarding the demographics (actual & desired) of the Stargate audience, so I thought this might be of interest to some (presuming it's not already known). It's not specific to Stargate, but I think it provides some information.

                          http://null.digitalmyrth.com/SG/ratings.pdf

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Skydiver
                            I didn't make my rant to bag on anyone. HOnestly. And there is adifference between 'hey put that behind a cut' and 'take it down, you might offend her'

                            There is also a difference between 'you woulnd't believe what so and so said' and someone coming in here to maliciously troll

                            I totally appreciate that folks want to protect amanda. I do too. But we can't infringe on the rights of others in the name of protection.

                            If we start down this slippery slope, what's next? We hear in an interview that AT hated her hair cut from a certain episode so we discourage anyone from posting copies of that hair cut? or we disallow any discussion of an episode that she didn't like? Or, we hear that she hates this certain tv show and we ban all discussion of it because she may not like it??

                            Where does it end?
                            Honestly, I think more people should think bout the fact that the actors may be reading the threads. I don't think this should prevent anyone from posting positive and negative comments about the characters, but I truly believe people would be much more careful about what they said about a particular actor if they knew they were sitting on the otherside of a screen reading or standing face to face to them. I don't feel it's infringing on the rights of another in the name of protection. I think it's more a matter of common courtesy. I've seen my photo posted up on GW. I did not give permission for those pictures to be posted, but I did attend an event where I knew people were taking pictures so it was a risk I was obviously willing to take. However, just because you know that other people will be seeing your photo doesn't mean you really want to hear people post negative comments about you. It's a policy on this board that we aren't allowed to flame another poster, so why do we not offer the same courtesy to an actor who may be lurking? Amanda, Torri or any other actor shouldn't have to log on and read personal attacks on their character or about their looks, ect.

                            I know TJ and I know she would never purposely post anything negative about Amanda, but I felt that her post crossed the line in this case. The comments her mother made may have been about Sam, but the way they came across they were directed at Amanda as well and to me that is really wrong especially in a pro-Sam/AT thread.

                            But my arguing this issue is only prolonging the problem, so I apologize for my involvement in this matter and I will abide by your decisions and not offer my opinion about this subject again.

                            Kat

                            Comment


                              Self-censoring of threads should, in my opinion, extend only to making polite posts that aren't overly insulting. This includes making sure that other posters aren't insulted and actors aren't bashed beyond belief. Criticism and differing opinions are fine -- that's why this is supposed to be fun, after all. We should be able to come and discuss differing opinions and ideas without feeling we will be struck down for it. Basically, the mods know best what is and isn't allowed...they've been doing this for a long time and are good enough to tell when stuff is going too far.

                              As far as protecting the cast and crew members that come here, yeah, there will doubtlessly be criticism. It happens in the entertainment industry, and I think all of them have gotten their fair share of comments in the past. What really lifts their spirits and gives them some of the satisfaction in their work is knowing that there are fans out there, appreciating and loving their work. The most we can do is continue to be there and supportive of Amanda. The actions of other fans really aren't ours to worry about (as much as we would like them to be sometimes). It's frustrating that others don't share our opinions all the time, but not every fan is the same by any means.

                              "But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

                              HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                this is a pro-Sam/Amanda thread so I do not think it was wrong for some of us to be bothered by the post.

                                We wouldn't allow someone to come into the thread and post that they hated Sam ...

                                Kat
                                That's why I didn't quote the post in my response. no need in repeating such negative comments here, but I think the original post was directed at saying how appalled she was at such negative comments.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X