Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
    In the series she tried the healing device only once on Daniel and it didn't work (to my knowledge she never tried again did she?)
    She had used it before on Cronus and it worked, and she mentioned that she had done some practice with it.

I think that Sam might have been afraid that she had made matters worse with Daniel when she tried to heal him, maybe even that her interference had prevented Jacob from helping, so I could see wy she would be wary of it.

Also, the hand held device (weapon) she used twice. It would have been nice to see that avenue explored a little further and the effects (negative or positive)it had on Sam afterward.
    I don't think she was ever comfortable with the hand device. She looked almost sick when she used it to kill Seth. I don't think that the thought of wielding a device the Goa'uld use to torture and murder ever sat well with her, regardless of her reasons for using it.

One avenue I hope they explore in S10 is Sam learning to use Merlins toys. I have never seen a piece of technology that Sam hasn't taken apart or poked, prodded until she figured out how it worked.
    Definitely. Sam's love of technology is one of the things that makes her Sam.
    Last edited by ReganX; 17 April 2006, 05:30 PM.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
      [SIZE="1"]

But it would have been interesting to have seen the writers do a "B" arc that explored the medical effects of naquadah on Sam. They skimmed on the positive effects (being able to sense symbiotes, being able to use Goa'uld devices), but not so much the negative....
      and i still can't get over that 'joke' spoilers joe mallozzi made last season for sam - that she'd have telepathic powers. i really, REALLY want that to happen!

or what if she had another life or death situation and she died for a short time. when she came back... she could see dead ppl. like her father, janet, her mother, etc. her head gets better and the images disappear... but not totally. sam's left with the permanent ability to see dead ppl. i think that would be great!

i can't decide between dead ppl seeing or telepathic powers.... hmm....

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        No, Sally, it's part of my current fixation with the original film. I got the collector's edition DVD the other day in a pretty tin and all with two different versions of the film and a making of feature and pretty storyboard sketches and stuff.
        but look at it... doesn't it look like a really cool rollercoaster track?

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

One avenue I hope they explore in S10 is Sam learning to use Merlins toys. I have never seen a piece of technology that Sam hasn't taken apart or poked, prodded until she figured out how it worked.
          i'd like it to come out that sam has the ancient gene.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            but look at it... doesn't it look like a really cool rollercoaster track?

sally
            Does it? I'm not seeing it. But that might just be because I know what it's supposed to be.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              i'd like it to come out that sam has the ancient gene.

sally
              I'm not convinced with this whole ancient gene stuff. Seems a bit tacky to me. Although it would be interesting to explore how the ancient gene and naquadah trace react with each other, you know, if one affects the other's effectiveness or something.
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

i wouldn't like it if they discovered that sam has the ancient gene. i think it would be a cop out. just as much if not more so if they discovered that daniel or cam had it. as in, oh no, our character who had the ancient gene left, we need another one.

i would love for them to explore sams tok'ra left overs. i really feel that its a waste of an extremely interesting character development point for them not to explore this. how can they not know what to do with the character when there are elements like this to her that they've barely scratched the surface of.

and yet they introduce similar elements (unneccessarily IMO, unless they have a plan to use this to deal with sams tok'ra issues) in a brand new character. i just don't get the mentality there.

and i don't just mean, ooh i'll try to use the healing device, struggle with it, get it to work or screw up with it, and then feel bad about it issues. i mean real exploration of her abilities and incorporation of her memories (preferably without the angsty i'm confused about my symbiotes romantic feelings crap) into the development of the character. i could never understand why they didn't have her explore that new part of her character, to the point that she became more comfortable with who jolinar was, and with her memories.
                as far as i'm concerned, she should have dealt with it within the show. it was the perfect opportunity for some quality sam/teal'c scenes too.

and considering that she has a lot of jolinars personality and general memories left behind within her subconscious mind, i think she should be shown to know at least some of the goa'uld language. teal'c could have taught her to kel'no'reem or something to help her with the aftermath, and thats how she discovers it. and i just hope that with the addition of vala and her obvious abilities with goa'uld tech, that they plan to use this as a way to help sam out with her abilities that she is so obviously uneasy with.

i think that her unease and discomfort with this power is why she has difficutly using the technology. its a psychological thing.

whats up with me and long rambling posts anyway, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                  She had used it before on Cronus and it worked, and she mentioned that she had done some practice with it.

I think that Sam might have been afraid that she had made matters worse with Daniel when she tried to heal him, maybe even that her interference had prevented Jacob from helping, so I could see wy she would be wary of it.

I don't think she was ever comfortable with the healing device. She looked almost sick when she used it to kill Seth. I don't think that the thought of wielding a device the Goa'uld use to torture and murder ever sat well with her, regardless of her reasons for using it.

Definitely. Sam's love of technology is one of the things that makes her Sam.
                  Ah I forgot about Cronus. Thanks for all those that reminded me.

I agree with you, I don't think she was ever comfortable using the hand device weapon because of the all destruction it was capable of. Which I am very glad Sam didn't like the effects. She wouldn't be the heroic character I admire otherwise. I do think it is a negative aspect they could have explored after 'Seth'. Something she and Jacob discussed. Maybe Jacob expressing his distaste for the weapon and the first time he was forced to use it. Sam coming to terms that she isn't completely human anymore. She has the same abilities as the Tok'ra (a friend) and worse the Goa'uld (the enemy she is trying to defeat).

Comment

...and the theme for tonight's Stargate Monday marathon?

The Russians are Coming! The Russians are coming!

I haven't really seen many of the Stargate snippets so far, but I enjoyed Claudia's comments regarding RDA.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                      i wouldn't like it if they discovered that sam has the ancient gene. i think it would be a cop out. just as much if not more so if they discovered that daniel or cam had it. as in, oh no, our character who had the ancient gene left, we need another one.

i would love for them to explore sams tok'ra left overs. i really feel that its a waste of an extremely interesting character development point for them not to explore this. how can they not know what to do with the character when there are elements like this to her that they've barely scratched the surface of.

and yet they introduce similar elements (unneccessarily IMO, unless they have a plan to use this to deal with sams tok'ra issues) in a brand new character. i just don't get the mentality there.

and i don't just mean, ooh i'll try to use the healing device, struggle with it, get it to work or screw up with it, and then feel bad about it issues. i mean real exploration of her abilities and incorporation of her memories (preferably without the angsty i'm confused about my symbiotes romantic feelings crap) into the development of the character. i could never understand why they didn't have her explore that new part of her character, to the point that she became more comfortable with who jolinar was, and with her memories.
                      as far as i'm concerned, she should have dealt with it within the show. it was the perfect opportunity for some quality sam/teal'c scenes too.

and considering that she has a lot of jolinars personality and general memories left behind within her subconscious mind, i think she should be shown to know at least some of the goa'uld language. teal'c could have taught her to kel'no'reem or something to help her with the aftermath, and thats how she discovers it. and i just hope that with the addition of vala and her obvious abilities with goa'uld tech, that they plan to use this as a way to help sam out with her abilities that she is so obviously uneasy with.

i think that her unease and discomfort with this power is why she has difficutly using the technology. its a psychological thing.

whats up with me and long rambling posts anyway, huh?
                      I agree that would lead to great Sam and Teal'c moments! SHe had Jacob and Teal'c that could both help her develop her skills, gift, curse, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        ...and the theme for tonight's Stargate Monday marathon?

The Russians are Coming! The Russians are coming!

I haven't really seen many of the Stargate snippets so far, but I enjoyed Claudia's comments regarding RDA.

What was said about RDA? You can PM me if it's off topic. pretty please.

Comment

What was said about RDA? You can PM me if it's off topic. pretty please.
                          "I think Richard Dean Anderson is so specifically identified with this show that, you know, when I said I was coming to join the cast of Stargate, they'd say, 'Oh, the one with Richard Dean Anderson!' And to turn up and have him not be here, it's kind of weird. And even more peculiar to have Ben in his place, for want of a better word, but he is someone as an actor and a character who can't really ever be replaced."

Comment

Well I was rather bored this evening so I figured I'd start a new little guessing game. We all know SciFi has been airing their little themed Stargate marathon every Monday, so I thougt I'd post a list of all the episodes they will be airing over the next few weeks so we can take our turn guessing what the themes will be.

Guess that theme:

Heroes I
                            Heroes II
                            Lost City I
                            Lost City II
                            Theme ?

Urgo
                            Upgrades
                            Wormhole X-treme
                            The Other Guys
                            Theme ?

The Enemy Within
                            Hathor
                            Entity
                            Sight Unseen
                            Theme ?

Cold Lazarus
                            Crystal Skull
                            Absolute Power
                            Orpheus
                            Theme ?

Nemesis
                            Small Victories
                            Redemption 1
                            Redemption 2
                            Theme ?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie

and considering that she has a lot of jolinars personality and general memories left behind within her subconscious mind, i think she should be shown to know at least some of the goa'uld language. teal'c could have taught her to kel'no'reem or something to help her with the aftermath, and thats how she discovers it.
                              see, this could have tied in beautifully with 'nightwalkers'. here sam has yet *another* symbiote die in her and *another* set of memories to deal with. wouldn't that make sam feel schizophrenic (that's a hard word to spell/look up)? or what if, when both sets are going, they combine and she starts seeing jolinar as evil?

sooooooo many wasted possibilites!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Well I was rather bored this evening so I figured I'd start a new little guessing game. We all know SciFi has been airing their little themed Stargate marathon every Monday, so I thougt I'd post a list of all the episodes they will be airing over the next few weeks so we can take our turn guessing what the themes will be.

Guess that theme:

Heroes I
                                Heroes II
                                Lost City I
                                Lost City II
                                Theme ?

Urgo
                                Upgrades
                                Wormhole X-treme
                                The Other Guys
                                Theme ?

The Enemy Within