No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam:Come on Sir, I know we're on Pg 2 but its time to sober up and get dressed
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 61
      Yes! Definatly in case someone has the nerve to call during a clip.
      Joanne
      that would be painful.

for them
      bwhahahahaha

so we have someone recording right?
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

AT did an amazing job in "Point of View". I'm always impressed when an actor or actress can play multiple copies of virtually the same character but make them different and unique. Amanda is one who is really great with that sort of thing -- Brent Spiner and Tricia Helfer rank up there too. It was great to see two very different sides of Sam emerge in that episode. Though they were the same foundation, the respective universes of those "models" for lack of a better word molded them into two separate, different women. That came across on screen very well -- and of course, having two Sams is always fun!

I'm gonna have to go with "Foothold" though. Love that ep -- great for Sam and just lots of fun to watch all around. Her scenes with Maybourne are hilarious, and I love the happy little smile she gets at the end debriefing scene. And since I'm a sucker for Scientist!Sam, I love watching her figuring out the alien technology on the plane. Her eyes just kind of light up when she realizes how they change shape -- classic Sam for me.
        Last edited by SnoggingPicard; 17 April 2006, 01:54 PM.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

I just saw a commercial for Smallville, where one character said: You save so many lives without taking any credit, to me you're not just a hero, but a super hero (or words similar to that)

Doesn't that also describe Sam, she has saved so many lives (the earth) and not asked for any credit, she was just doing her job. That to me is a Hero
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i'm stealing this from meg, but i think there's a person or two here that might have lj that might like to come and play

Not sure whether I chose the right folder to post this in, but hey, I figure you guys could do with a Sam/Teal'c thread anyway.

For those with Live Journals...

In the hopes of bringing fans of the pairing together and hopefully inspiring more fic from them, I've created a new LJ community for Sam/Teal'c. Feel free to join up if you're interested in the pairing, and please spread the word.

http://community.livejournal.com/sam_tealc/
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

and just to remind everyone, i'll post the s2 winner tonight or tomorrow. depending on how much time i have

and please, send me your votes via pm or e-mail

for s1 and 2 i did collect votes from the thread, but with all the discussion going on - which is a great thing - i dn't wnat to skew them by counting something twice or not counting it at all
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

alright. considering how indecisive i've been on these "best episode" votes, i'm just going to go with the first one that popped into my fron for season 3.

jolinars memories/the devil you know.

i count them as one episode. (the next ones that i thought of were, POV, foothold, learning curve, well... you get the idea.)

and as for the negativity and general attitude to certain people here (i know i'm a bit late for this but...) i can see where both sides are coming from on this. but at the end of the day, the person in question has only once, that i can recall, stated that they actually like sam carter. and i think it was said that she(?) hated her, but had started to like her.

i have invited FH on this thread to tell us what about sam it is that she now likes, and i have pm'd her telling her where to find this post here in case she comes back only to find negative posts towards her and decides to give up.

if she truely is a sam/AT fan, then i want her to feel welcome here, and i have tried to include her and help her to fit in. a lot of people here have asked her to post something positive about sam. we haven't gotten it. all we've gotten is off topic vala pimping. i like vala well enough, and i think if handled well, her character has potential. but i come here to talk about sam, and sam related things, with sam fans.

i'm not opposed to off topic chatter, but when it happens here, i know that its by sam fans, and can be brought back to the threads topic by those people at any time.

and if the chatter gets too negative for my tastes, i just skip those posts. i haven't found that its gotten so negative here that instead of skipping the posts i just don't bother entering the thread, as has happened to me on occation with other threads that i frequent, but i respect that it may be a bit too negative around here for some, and i wouldn't object or harass anyone who see's fit to start a optimism/positive only thread. why can't sam have more than one thread anyway. she's good enough for it!
                [/ramble]

Comment

1 - tracy jane: is your avatar a rollercoaster track?

2 - in the season 3 best sam ep compitition, i was torn between 'point of view', 'jolinar's memories/the devil you know', and 'foothold'. i ended up choosing 'foothold'.

3 - i've been thinking of what i'd talk to amanda and rick about if i won the lunch with them (of course i'd have to bid to be able to win ). i'd prob start off by telling them both how much i LOVE their ship work together (s/j ship ). i'd then talk to them about politics and religion and environmental issues. my mom said NO politics/religion talk, but i'm seriously interested in what their views are and won't freak/argue if they aren't similar to mine (unless amanda/rick like to eat children or worship satan ).

4 - uh, nothing comes to me.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    *Ponders* Do I sense a fic coming soon
                    *raises eyebrow Teal'c-like at Mandy...*

Indeed. *laughs* No, not from me... Already got myself 15K words into a Sam/Teal'c fic(Paradise Lost/friendship) (and that's only the first half of the story!) and have a couple fics hanging out there at 5K. Perhaps some of our other talented fic writers'd like to take a stab at it?

*eyes lurkers*

Y'all are welcome to the plot bunnies too!

But it would have been interesting to have seen the writers do a "B" arc that explored the medical effects of naquadah on Sam. They skimmed on the positive effects (being able to sense symbiotes, being able to use Goa'uld devices), but not so much the negative....
                    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      1 - tracy jane: is your avatar a rollercoaster track?

sally
                      No, Sally, it's part of my current fixation with the original film. I got the collector's edition DVD the other day in a pretty tin and all with two different versions of the film and a making of feature and pretty storyboard sketches and stuff.

Anyway, this avatar is the storyboard sketch of where they find the Gate in 1928 (ooooh, that rhymes) and the picture in the film that pretty much corresponds is....

On my Livejournal, if you scroll down two posts, there are several posts with lost of avatars I did and a couple of screencaps. The storyboard based avatars (like the ones above) I didn't post on BJC, and I think I did a Cold Lazarus one too.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                        *raises eyebrow Teal'c-like at Mandy...*

Indeed. *laughs* No, not from me... Already got myself 15K words into a Sam/Teal'c fic(Paradise Lost/friendship) (and that's only the first half of the story!) and have a couple fics hanging out there at 5K. Perhaps some of our other talented fic writers'd like to take a stab at it?

*eyes lurkers*

Y'all are welcome to the plot bunnies too!

But it would have been interesting to have seen the writers do a "B" arc that explored the medical effects of naquadah on Sam. They skimmed on the positive effects (being able to sense symbiotes, being able to use Goa'uld devices), but not so much the negative....
                        I agree I would like to know about the negative effects, but I also wish they would have explored Sam's ability to use more of the Goa'uld technology. I think they could have gone much further into the character developement after jolinar. In the series she tried the healing device only once on Daniel and it didn't work (to my knowledge she never tried again did she?) Also, the hand held device (weapon) she used twice. It would have been nice to see that avenue explored a little further and the effects (negative or positive)it had on Sam afterward.

One avenue I hope they explore in S10 is Sam learning to use Merlins toys. I have never seen a piece of technology that Sam hasn't taken apart or poked, prodded until she figured out how it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          Yes, I saw those scenes very differently. I don't really care whether ALT Carter was involved with ALT Jack or not, frankly, what got me was that we saw a different side to Sam; one that had a potential to exist, but one that OUR Sam would have guarded against more strongly - situational life moments altered both characters accordingly. ALT Sam wasn't weepy (to me), she was grieving, and I think she played that very well.

No one truly saw her break down - except Jack - which IMHO was outstanding, because Jack WAS the person she lost (her own version of him, of course). How would that affect any of us? We're not robots here. And neither is Sam.

If you think about it, having just lost your life-partner (rather horribly) only to immediately discover yourself alone and fighting for your own life in another (reality), would be pretty damn harsh. Think of the loss you'd be feeling; the "alone-ness". AU Sam was going through hell, but she kept it together despite that (just as any version of Sam Carter would, IMHO).

The only thing that staggered AU Sam's resolve (albeit briefly) was being confronted by the double of her husband. IMHO, that shows tremendous strength of character, not only for that scenario, but for the simple fact that she DID allow herself to show emotion in Jack's presence (again, I don't care whether it was Jack or not, it's the scenario that I'm speaking of).

People often (inaccurately) label showing emotion with weakness. I don't buy into that; I think a character's strength can more accurately be depicted by when and with with whom they show emotion - far moreso than by their unwillingness or their inability to do so.

In many ways, I think we saw that AU Sam was more emotionally evolved than our Sam, because she did allow herself to feel; and to love someone (in a healthy relationship sort of way). And who knows, perhaps she had a less stringent, less harsh military father growing up, too. We don't know that, but all of those factors shape personality.

OUR Sam Carter is tough, sure she is, but she's also human, and she's got feelings which impact her. She shows them far less frequently, because she was brought up not to. Allowing angst to boil beneath the surface of a character is all right for some scenarios, but not all of them.

The fact that we got to see more of Sam (even a potential side of Sam, or perhaps a foreshadow of her, in part) was very powerful for me, looking into her character; more powerful than watching her tell off Maybourne in FOOTHOOLD (as oustanding and fun as that was!).

That's why I had to pick POV as the best Sam Carter ep of season three.
                          outstanding points!

one of the things criticized about sam/jack is the guarded nature of their interactions. we know that sam can be open and relaxed in a relationship, so it's not that she's not capable of showing this side of her.

we've actually only saw sam in three relationships (there but for the grace of god/point of view-jack, 2010-joe, eps with pete), all of which gave sam the ability to respond without restraint. the only time we see a more shadowed and/or guarded demeanor is when she interacts with jack o'neill. i'm hoping with season 10 and jack not being her direct commanding officer anymore, we'll be able to see the open, flirty, and happy side of sam again (but this time with *jack*).

but i totally agree, min; it's interesting (to me and you ) to see these aspects of sam. we're not robots (which is why i wanted to see sam's REAL reactions/thoughts on returning to sg1 as second in command. again) goes to happy place and ignores command issue. for all of ten seconds

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                            I agree I would like to know about the negative effects, but I also wish they would have explored Sam's ability to use more of the Goa'uld technology. I think they could have gone much further into the character developement after jolinar. In the series she tried the healing device only once on Daniel and it didn't work (to my knowledge she never tried again did she?) Also, the hand held device (weapon) she used twice. It would have been nice to see that avenue explored a little further and the effects (negative or positive)it had on Sam afterward.

One avenue I hope they explore in S10 is Sam learning to use Merlins toys. I have never seen a piece of technology that Sam hasn't taken apart or poked, prodded until she figured out how it worked.
                            I think she used it on Cronus, didn't she? 'Course that was back in S3. (Fair Game)
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Boy this choosing a favourite episode is getting more and more difficult
                              well, if this helps at all, it won't be hard choosing for season 9!

sally

ps - to oober... that little 'gift' you left me as a rep point... *drools* good lord, is that hypnotizing! *more drooling*
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

sam thinking - '... i know i haven't known colonel o'neill that long, but... what a slut. i mean what a slut, sir!... what am i worried about, he can't hear my thoughts... right?.... *admires his body* okay, he's good looking, but still! hello, mr i can't keep it in my pants!'

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X