Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by RealmOfX
    Heads its Amanda, Tails its Sam
    Gee. That's really helpful. Thanks.




    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

    Comment


      Originally posted by Deejay435

      I'll admit it-I have a soft spot for Major Davis.
      Me too
      Spoiler:



      Astro it is good to have you back posting and I for one hope we will be see more of you in the future. While I have not been crazy about S9 I have not disliked it as much as some here have. I am one of those glass half ful kind of people. But at the same time do understand people needed to vent their frustrations with the show and how things are going for a favorite or well liked character.

      I think one of the things that really made a difference with the original team was the personal relationship/chemestry between the cast. I have heard Amanda, Michael, and Chris all talked about auditioning for the show and how they first meet each other at the auditions. They each tell the story in a very similar way. How they gravitated to each other in the audition waiting room. Amanda and Michael shared a cab back to the hotel they were staying at after the audition. They all just clicked from the get go. I do think they are all friends and have almost a brother and sister relationship. You hear the boys talk about Amanda at times as being a sister. Chris and Michael are very good friends. I saw them at a con together once and they had a good time teasing each other and they helped each other out. When Michael had a fan that was getting to be a bit much for him Amanda stuck her head under the curtain to joke with him and then Amanda and Chris joined Michael on stage. They fielded the guys question together and joked with each other. In Vancouver when Amanda was at our table for breakfast I said something about comic con and made an offhanded comment about the questions asked there and Amanda went yeah that guy from TV guide was something else even Chris leaned over and said can you believe this guy. We have heard in interviews how Amanda felt a bit off when she first went back to work after having Olivia. The season had started filming, they had new cast members that have a different style about them and it was a different year for her. There were a few glimmers of nice moments between the team toward the end of the season. Hopefully as the cast has adjusted to the changes in personel we will see that extra spark that was missing reapper. Think about in the 8 years prior the most we had was Michael leaving for a year and Corin coming in so one cast change. Don leaving and RDA's position changing but he was still there. Teryl leaving but the role of a Dr because a smaller role and the guest of the week type. In S9 you had 2 new main leads 1 major recurring and 1 lead out for 5 episodes. That has got to do a bit to the cast dynamic.

      Yes I do realize that the writing has not been as good. Even with better cast dynamics if the writing/stories do not get better this season then no mater how good the cast it will not mean much. I guess I'm just hopeful that as the cast jells better then those unscripted jewels that have happened over the years will happen again and we will start caring more about all the characters not just a few of them.

      Well I have rattled on enough and I have to be on the platform in 5 hours with 2 services at church in the morning and then 2 shows at the theatre tomorrow so I had better get to bed. I will leave you with a few old con pics



      My View From The Peanut Gallery

      Comment


        Originally posted by Deejay435
        Good question. I shall answer this, then off to bed.

        I voted for A Matter of Time. I LOVED Sam in this episode.
        • We got to see in full problem-solving mode. We got to watch how her mind works SO much faster than everyone else around her.
        • We got to see a bit of her fault-that she sometimes lets Science blind her to other things. And we got to watch the great expression on her face when Jack snapped at her, reminding her of the people side. Great bit of acting by AT.
        • We got to see Sam explaining science via food. First it was with the apple with Jack, then with the donut with Hammond. Cute.
        • We got to hear Jack say "She's way smarter than us."
        • Sam solved the problem, saved the day, and DID NOT stay upstairs where it was safe-even though she could have leftafter she calibrated the bomb-it didn't appear that even crossed her mind, even as she was ordering others out.
        • I love this episode for non-Sam reasons too. I love the visuals in this episode. I love the scene in the gateroom with the smoke spiraling toward the gate, I love Sam standing at the end of the ramp and holding her dogtags out and watching them be pulled into the gate.
        • Love the concern Sam, Jack, and Teal'c all show for one another through the episode. And Sam finding the 'silver lining' to Earth possibly being destroyed as "Well, at least Daniel will live."
        • I like the Teal'c and Sam interactions up on the surface-just being friends, and Teal'c just being there for her.
        • I'll admit it-I have a soft spot for Major Davis. <G>


        I like making lists.
        Great points (though I don't particularly have a soft spot for Davis).
        What do you think Cromwell was about to say about Sam when Jack cut him off? (Sam was explaining why the bomb couldn't be set by timer/remote).

        Comment


          Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          rofl, that photo makes me laugh too, because it reminds me of a little kid who's just eaten brussel sprouts or something

          Another amusing 'LittleKid!Sam' moment, is in Singularity when SG1 are tagging the dead bodies on Hanka and Cassie is watching them from behind the trees. Sam says something like: 'Colonel! There's someone behind teh bushes and they wont come out!' They way AT says it, it sounds so much like a little kid complaining to their dad
          I always thought that too.

          Comment


            Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Jumping on the bandwagon of hope (as small as it may be for me right now perhaps it will grow if we get some positive Carter spoilers going on).

            It's worth bearing in mind how and why the spoilers that we have came about. There was new casting to be done. Emphasis was, inevitably, on scenes for the casting.

            Sam's already cast.

            Do I make sense?

            scarimor

            Comment


              Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              Ok, no offence Coley - but this isn't the anti s9/s10, anti-vala, anti-cam, anti-rcc thread either. So perhaps you could all post some pro sam comments without linking them to the anti-feelings?

              And look, what Formerhost is doing is no worse than what majorsal does for example. Linking her Sam posts to Sam/Jack ship (Sal - I definitely do not mean any offence here! It's just an example!)
              I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't too thrilled by the way Formerhost's previous persona conducted herself. But if it's pro Sam, does it really matter that it's also pro Vala? The two (as much as some people seem to argue) are not mutually exclusive by any means. And like I said above, if you're wanting to stop people posting both pro Sam and pro Vala, maybe we should stop people posting both pro Sam and pro S/J ship. Or pro Sam and pro Sam leadership. Or pro Sam and pro Seasons 1-8.

              I understand that s9/10 is abit of a hot topic at the moment, and that many people are not happy with the way things are going. However, there are two sides to that arguement. But we only really see one side represented here. I know that I personally have been skipping pages of posts because I simply can't be bothered reading any more anti s9/10/vala/mitchell opinions and I know for a fact other Samandan's have been too. It's kind of a dissapointment for me, since I used to be right into this thread. Back when, you know, it was about Sam rather than how much RCC hates Sam and how s9/10 is going to kill of the show
              No offence to you Agent Dark but I have no problem with any poster being here that is a fan of Carter and or AT. I don't have a problem with anyone linking Sam/AT with discussion of any other topic or character if it is relevant. And if you read, I did say that in my previous post!!!

              Also the happenings in season 9 are relevant to both the character Sam Carter and Amanda herself as the change has had a large effect on both

              What I really do not like is someone posting here that is really not a fan of either Sam Carter or Amanda and who has demonstrated no intention whatsoever of posting a great positive post about either Sam or AT but yet they post here defending their preferred character and applauding the changes of the new season. You don't really seem to have caught on to that

              FH has only viewed was it 10 episodes on SG1 pre season 9 - hardly a grounding for a great Sam fan.

              I do not mind other people posting about Vala as I stated before as I know they also post great positive comment about Sam. Also I myself do post positive stuff about Sam and AT and have done so recently in the last couple of days.

              and with respect this IS A SAM THREAD!!!! Major Sal is a huge Amanda and Sam fan and her comments of ship are relevant to the Sam character - she also post comments soley about how great Sam is and how great Amanda is.

              There is a huge difference between the postings of Major Sal and myself and the postings of FH. Our what you would call slightly off topic posts are mainly in defence of the character Sam Carter. Quite relavent to a Sam thread wouldn't you say.

              I've not heard FH come up with any great post on Sam or AT. Does she think Sam is a great character or not?

              Why don't you suggest to FH that she joins in the season episode discussions and pro Sam discussions?

              You stated you miss the discussion of talking about Sam - well we have being doing that recently with the episode discussions - which I joined in on - have you? To be quite frank if you are quite happy with people coming here to a Sam's A Great Character Thread who have no intention at all about posting about that specific topic then yes you are going to lose a great thread for that reason - they are diverting attention away from Sam discussion. I'm getting pretty sick of coming to the thread reading posts by people who have no intention of being positive about the character.

              If you love the new direction of the show good for you - you post the positive effects it may be having on Sam to counter the negative. I myself honestly see that the direction of the show will dilute this great character and that of Daniel and Teal'c. If you think Sam's A Great Character thats got to be a point to lament and discuss. You are right we shouldn't do too much of it and as I have said we are all trying to post positive stuff on Sam too.

              I do have to say I think your defence of FH is misplaced. FH can prove me wrong at any time by posting a great positive Sam post.

              Comment


                sorry about this rant, so I'm gonna put it in spoiler tags. Anyone who doesn't give a crap about the debate we've been having recently on what is getting posted around here, feel free to skip

                Spoiler:

                Hell, I'm not trying to defend FH. To be honest, I'm still kinda annoyed at what she got up to with her previous account (btw, it seems we are kinda singling out FH and putting crap on her. Justified or not is moot - shouldn't it just be reported to the mods and not posted in public?)

                What I was getting at, is that there seems to be a backlash against the pro Vala stuff. I have no problem with the pro Vala stuff. I happen to like Vala. What I do personally have a problem with is the constant talk of how season 9/Vala/Mitch sucks. I understand people feel that way, but 4 or so pages of it seems a bit excessive? I don't see 4 or so pages of pro Vala talk. It also makes me wonder whether FH or anyone else who steps in to defend Vala or Mitch or whatever is doing so because of all the negative talk about them. Cause and effect - which is which? This thread is not meant to be pro Vala. However its not meant to be Anti Vala either. I'm not really seeing a balance between the two at the moment.
                I also don't really agree that all the negative talk about Vala/Season9 etc is really that on topic either. Personally it seems that the bits that are about Sam are just a way of getting in their anti-season 9 opinion. Thats all fine and dandy - but there is an anti season 9 thread for that purpose. I get the point that people don't like Season 9 etc, and I don't agree with their opinion. But couldn't they say that and move on? I can move between the Anti Season 9 thread and this one and see very similiar opinions being put forth. I don't think the purpose of this thread is to be a clone of the Anti Season 9 one.

                Also, to majorsal - I was not singling you out as a problem in this thread. Far from it. I was pointing out that if we were to get rid of any Pro Vala stuff we should also get rid of Pro Ship stuff. It's the same damm thing. You put in posts where you do nothing but squee over the Ship. I don't have a problem with the odd squee post. So surely we should be able to put in posts where we do nothing but squee over Vala.

                There is also the problem of the fact that people who disagree will tend to always be more vocal than people who do agree. Real life case in point - There are huge rallies over the world for people who don't support the War in Iraq at all. But do you see anyone rallying to support the War? It's not that they don't exist, its that they don't feel the need to express their support for it. It's going well enough without their help (please note I'm not trying to draw any parallels between anything, just using the Iraq issue as an example of how con is the more vocal 'side').

                I feel this thread has started to alienate people who like season 9, who like Vala and who like Mitchell. And who also like Sam - which is the reason why they are here. I would also say the same thing if it was completely fawning over those aspects (but alienating people who don't like them of course). I want to participate in the Sam talk, but I can't find myself doing it because I've read through the 4 pages of season 9 criticism beforehand. It doesn't make me feel like all anyone here wants to discuss is how much season 9 sucks.

                One final note - I'm not gonna apologise to anyone who may be offended by this post. I would like to point out though that I do not have a beef with anyone in particular. You are all obviously huge Sam fans and that is definately good enough for me. I just wanted to put forth my completely subjective POV. I dont like what I see as the huge empahsis on the negative aspects of season 9/10 etc. Thats all. What might I suggest be done about? Buggered if I know. But thats just the way I feel about things.

                fk, we're trying not to talk about this either Fandom just makes me rage sometimes :|
                Last edited by Agent_Dark; 16 April 2006, 04:33 AM.

                Comment


                  As for best s2 episode - surely Message in a Bottle needs to go in there? Lots of great Scientist!Sam moments in that. Also teh very amusing Lt. Simmons crush

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by majorsal
                    i picked 'in the line of duty'.

                    it was a HUGE moment/ep for sam. first off, just having one of the leads have something this big and bad happen to them was important, but it being sam... i found it a big honor that this storyline was given to sam. it shaped many things for her from that moment on. and it 'permanently' changed her too. i like it when they let bad things happen to their characters and don't just sweep it under the rug. okay, they've been ignoring it for a bit now, but when this ep took place, they let it go on for quite a few years.

                    sally
                    I voted for in the line of duty as well pretty much for the same reasons as you. For me, it was a huge moment for sam, and i loved the whole episode. Although I have to be honest this was not an easy decision because all of season 2 for me was excellent and there were a load of really good sam episodes, it was really hard to choose. Btw happy easter

                    sig by starlover1990

                    Comment


                      In defense of Samanda.

                      Dear Samandans, we're facing a threat.

                      I admit I haven't posted much lately on this thread. Why ? Because I have the feeling that whenever I come here I'm going to witness the grounding of our dear motto. What's wrong with "Hic Comitas Regit" ?
                      Everyone seems to have forgotten what it means.

                      I'm not going to complain against the negativity. As some of you told better than me, as long as it is releveant to Sam, it belongs to this thread. Don't count me on the negative bandwagon either because I'm more a half full glass person myself.

                      This said, the more I read this thread, the more I think we're going to turn against each other. What happened to our understanding of different points of view ? What happened to our great discussions when we sometimes disagreed but never turned against each other ?

                      There was a time when we all got along fine, when this place was a little corner of peace. I can't help but feel sad when I think of how it used to be.

                      I'm afraid our beloved Sam thread might disappear. I'm afraid Sky has to once more pull her mod hat to bring back this thread on topic. I'm afraid we're succombing to what some of you called troll posts. I'm afraid this is going to bring a rift between us.

                      I used to come to this thread because I love Sam and Amanda, because you are all my friends, because it was fun and thoughtful at the same time, because I enjoyed the mood. Now, I'm almost afraid to come and read what's going on. Coming from an optimist, it speaks volume.
                      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit


                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        sorry about this rant, so I'm gonna put it in spoiler tags. Anyone who doesn't give a crap about the debate we've been having recently on what is getting posted around here, feel free to skip

                        Spoiler:

                        Hell, I'm not trying to defend FH. To be honest, I'm still kinda annoyed at what she got up to with her previous account (btw, it seems we are kinda singling out FH and putting crap on her. Justified or not is moot - shouldn't it just be reported to the mods and not posted in public?)

                        What I was getting at, is that there seems to be a backlash against the pro Vala stuff. I have no problem with the pro Vala stuff. I happen to like Vala. What I do personally have a problem with is the constant talk of how season 9/Vala/Mitch sucks. I understand people feel that way, but 4 or so pages of it seems a bit excessive? I don't see 4 or so pages of pro Vala talk. It also makes me wonder whether FH or anyone else who steps in to defend Vala or Mitch or whatever is doing so because of all the negative talk about them. Cause and effect - which is which? This thread is not meant to be pro Vala. However its not meant to be Anti Vala either. I'm not really seeing a balance between the two at the moment.
                        I also don't really agree that all the negative talk about Vala/Season9 etc is really that on topic either. Personally it seems that the bits that are about Sam are just a way of getting in their anti-season 9 opinion. Thats all fine and dandy - but there is an anti season 9 thread for that purpose. I get the point that people don't like Season 9 etc, and I don't agree with their opinion. But couldn't they say that and move on? I can move between the Anti Season 9 thread and this one and see very similiar opinions being put forth. I don't think the purpose of this thread is to be a clone of the Anti Season 9 one.

                        Also, to majorsal - I was not singling you out as a problem in this thread. Far from it. I was pointing out that if we were to get rid of any Pro Vala stuff we should also get rid of Pro Ship stuff. It's the same damm thing. You put in posts where you do nothing but squee over the Ship. I don't have a problem with the odd squee post. So surely we should be able to put in posts where we do nothing but squee over Vala.

                        There is also the problem of the fact that people who disagree will tend to always be more vocal than people who do agree. Real life case in point - There are huge rallies over the world for people who don't support the War in Iraq at all. But do you see anyone rallying to support the War? It's not that they don't exist, its that they don't feel the need to express their support for it. It's going well enough without their help (please note I'm not trying to draw any parallels between anything, just using the Iraq issue as an example of how con is the more vocal 'side').

                        I feel this thread has started to alienate people who like season 9, who like Vala and who like Mitchell. And who also like Sam - which is the reason why they are here. I would also say the same thing if it was completely fawning over those aspects (but alienating people who don't like them of course). I want to participate in the Sam talk, but I can't find myself doing it because I've read through the 4 pages of season 9 criticism beforehand. It doesn't make me feel like all anyone here wants to discuss is how much season 9 sucks.

                        One final note - I'm not gonna apologise to anyone who may be offended by this post. I would like to point out though that I do not have a beef with anyone in particular. You are all obviously huge Sam fans and that is definately good enough for me. I just wanted to put forth my completely subjective POV. I dont like what I see as the huge empahsis on the negative aspects of season 9/10 etc. Thats all. What might I suggest be done about? Buggered if I know. But thats just the way I feel about things.

                        fk, we're trying not to talk about this either Fandom just makes me rage sometimes :|
                        Spoiler:
                        Yes, we do need to report any future posts to the mods using the report post feature, instead of getting derailed and upset. I did try and mention this to you last night AD


                        Anyway, back to Sam... my favourite Sam episode of all time still has to be singularity. It makes me cry every time and the interaction there between Sam and Cassie is just amazing. I looked through and realised that a lot of my favourite episodes are in season one, actually!
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

                        Comment


                          Just a sidenote: I went to the season 2 and 3 threads for Atlantis---geez--some of the titles of these threads are a bit negative--get rid of Sheppard, Court Martial Weir. etc. (of course there are a number of positive threads too, but I was a bit taken aback). Is there something in the water during hiatus?

                          Anyway---anyone looking forward to AT's movie about a week from now? I'm wondering how important her role will be as a bumbling detective? I'm looking forward to seeing her in something a bit different just for fun. I'm usually not a Lifetime Movie sort of gal, but occasionally!

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            [spoilers]

                            Anyway, back to Sam... my favourite Sam episode of all time still has to be singularity. It makes me cry every time and the interaction there between Sam and Cassie is just amazing. I looked through and realised that a lot of my favourite episodes are in season one, actually!

                            Loved this scene. One of the classic scenes for me in Stargate SG-1. I'm surprised at how many episodes I liked in season 1 as well--most of them actually -- given that it was season 1. Another classic scene in season 1--Sam and Jack in Solitiudes right before they get rescued---great dialogue---great scene, great mutual respect for one another as officers.

                            Comment


                              Never mind during hiatus... it's been like this for a while now
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by chocdoc
                                Loved this scene. One of the classic scenes for me in Stargate SG-1. I'm surprised at how many episodes I liked in season 1 as well--most of them actually -- given that it was season 1. Another classic scene in season 1--Sam and Jack in Solitiudes right before they get rescued---great dialogue---great scene, great mutual respect for one another as officers.
                                Yes, that was a great scene. I love the way they always had that great banter going on... the P3X 595 scene in Emancipation, the tank top scene in The Broca Divide. You know, there's not a single season one episode that I'll turn off if it's on TV. I honestly can't say that about any other season, though seasons four and six come very close.
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X