Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
    ::slowly puts down flower pot:: <sigh>, yes, i suppose you have a point. but...mitchell without sam? that's like...PB&J without bread! can the show even really TAKE losing one of the big3?
    <sigh> i suppose we'll find out, eh?
    ...but its SAM! who's going to be all technobably from now on? who's going to save the world? i know she's controversial, but she does have an important job!

omg. no, really, i did just realize this. what HAS she does this season? honestly, i hardly remember anything. that's so...wrong! SG-1 (team) NEEDS a scientist.

they need sam.

don't they?
    That they do but if the whole issue gets resolved then maybe they're gently *for us or Sam?* gonna let Sam go but I don't think she will leave before the end of the season. Maybe leave SG1 for Atlantis or something like that *for an ep or 2* but we never heard further mentioning about the whole thing. If she goes to Atlantis then maybe she is gonna have an important position there. I hope S10 is the last one and that everyone is gonna stay, I'm 99% sure of myself there. But if they do a S11 then I really doubt anyone from the old cast will have something important to say on the show. It reminds me of all what happened in ER

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      I thought the reg issue was with direct chain of command, but I'd think some poeple have some serious issues with Sam being an ambitious leader within the SGC and Jack being the head of Homeworld Security. But I still thought the actual AF regs didn't apply... Hmmm.
      ::grabs reg::
      Relationships Within an Organization. Familiar relationships between members in which one member exercises supervisory or command authority over the other can easily be or become unprofessional. Similarly, differences in grade increase the risk that a relationship will be, or will be perceived to be unprofessional, because senior members in military organizations normally exercise authority or some direct or indirect organizational influence over the duties and careers of more junior members. The danger for abuse of authority is always present. The ability of the senior member to influence, directly or indirectly, assignments, promotion recommendations, duties, awards, and other privileges and benefits, places both the senior member and the junior member in vulnerable positions. Once established, such relationships do not go unnoticed by other members of a unit. Unprofessional relationships, including fraternization, between members of different services, particularly in joint service operations, can have the same impact on morale, discipline, respect for authority and unit cohesion, as if the members were assigned to the same service, and must be avoided...Dating and Close Friendships. Dating, courtship, and close friendships between men and women are subject to the same policy considerations as are other relationships. Like any personal relationship, they become matters of official concern when they adversely affect morale, discipline, unit cohesion, respect for authority, or mission accomplishment. Members must recognize that these relationships can adversely affect morale and discipline, even when the members are not in the same chain of command or unit. The formation of such relationships between superiors and subordinates within the same chain of command or supervision is prohibited because such relationships invariably raise the perception of favoritism or misuse of position and erode morale, discipline and unit cohesion.
      on the other hand, i have NO idea how HWS is set up (seeing as, you know...it doesn't exist). so...maybe
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

::grabs reg:n the other hand, i have NO idea how HWS is set up (seeing as, you know...it doesn't exist). so...maybe
        I thought Head of HWS was supposedly a presidential appointment, and, as such, it wasn't officially in the military chain of command. But you're right, I don't know cos it doesn't exist.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          I thought Head of HWS was supposedly a presidential appointment, and, as such, it wasn't officially in the military chain of command. But you're right, I don't know cos it doesn't exist.
          ah hah! anyone have more canon? i WILL figure this out...not that i'm, you know, biased or anything...

EDT: oh...hehe, this is samanda. ::runs to shipper thread:: sorry guys!
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            So what do you send a bunch of guys in appreciation for breaking Hollywood stereotypes and correcting an issue against the odds...???? I'd say beer basket but that doesn't sound quite right.
            and it'd never get through customs.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

AT adlibbed that, right?
              yes, she did. total adlib

AT has said she's rather proud of that. that she made up a line that's quoted so often

sigpic

Comment

::grabs reg:n the other hand, i have NO idea how HWS is set up (seeing as, you know...it doesn't exist). so...maybe
                i think as long as jack is not sam's direct supervisor, it doesn't count.

as her direct co, he signs her performance reviews, promotion request, etc. and being in a personal relationship is a no-no

funnily enough, when so many of the slash fans are quoting the regs as why sam and jack shouldn't be together, they never stopped to relize that daniel does not get an automatic pass because he's a civilian. the rules apply to him too. (even more so since the armed forces would rather weather the scandal of a m/f frat relationship than deal with homosexuality, no matter how unfair that would be)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i think as long as jack is not sam's direct supervisor, it doesn't count.

as her direct co, he signs her performance reviews, promotion request, etc. and being in a personal relationship is a no-no
                  sure, (its stargate), i'll buy that. <goes to happy place>

funnily enough, when so many of the slash fans are quoting the regs as why sam and jack shouldn't be together, they never stopped to relize that daniel does not get an automatic pass because he's a civilian. the rules apply to him too. (even more so since the armed forces would rather weather the scandal of a m/f frat relationship than deal with homosexuality, no matter how unfair that would be)
                  yeah, i try not to laugh to hard at those.
                  Relationships with Civilian Employees and Government Contractor Personnel. Civilian employees and contractor personnel are an integral part of the Air Force. They contribute directly to readiness and mission accomplishment. Consequently, military members of all grades must maintain professional relationships with civilian employees and government contractor personnel, particularly those whom they supervise or direct, and must avoid relationships that adversely affect or reasonably can adversely affect morale, discipline and respect for authority or that violate law or regulation.
                  i thought she adlibbed it! i love that line! AT should give herself more credit!
                  are there sites that actually have lists of all the adlibs, or are they only on the commentary?
                  sigpic

Comment

The ability of the senior member to influence, directly or indirectly, assignments, promotion recommendations, duties, awards, and other privileges and benefits...

Beachhead
                    LANDRY: Jack…Jack, Jack! She practically invented the Mark IX, and you're the one who thinks we should use the damned thing. Why are you wasting valuable time saying no? I've read enough of your SG-1 mission reports to know that there were times when no one else but Samantha Carter could have pulled your ass out of the fire. Well, this is one of those ti—

CARTER: Reporting as ordered, sir.

LANDRY: Yeah. She's standing right here. You're a funny man, Jack. Very funny.

My interpretation of that is that O'Neill has direct authority over Carter's assignments.

Comment

sure, (its stargate), i'll buy that. <goes to happy place>
                      right now, as i understand it, jack and sam could be in a relationship. cam might be her boss, landry is her boss, landry has the JCS over him which means that jack is not sam's direct co

heck, sam coulda transferred to sg-18 and she and jack coulda been together.

lam and landry? all they woulda had to do to keep the nepotism at bay would have been to NOT have her be the cmo. As long as she answered to someone else, it woulda been ok, even if in the grey area

it cracks me up that, for years, they quoted the regs to keep ship from happening, then toss them out the window when they're too inconvenient. co-leaders? aahah, ain't gonna happen. Father and daughter in the direct line of command? it's the same as jack and sam, just without the sex issue

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                        The ability of the senior member to influence, directly or indirectly, assignments, promotion recommendations, duties, awards, and other privileges and benefits...

Beachhead
                        LANDRY: Jack…Jack, Jack! She practically invented the Mark IX, and you're the one who thinks we should use the damned thing. Why are you wasting valuable time saying no? I've read enough of your SG-1 mission reports to know that there were times when no one else but Samantha Carter could have pulled your ass out of the fire. Well, this is one of those ti—

My interpretation of that is that O'Neill has direct authority over Carter's assignments.
                        Actually, I interpreted that section as her being with Jack, and Landry asking him to send her back. In a more personal sense. Sorry. I bat for Sally's team.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM

Beachhead

DEM! you're killing my favorite scene! <sigh> but you're probably right. do we KNOW he was head of HWS at that point? (i know, i really should go back and watch s9...i just...can't)

you know what? (to quote every fanfic every written) skrew the regs! they don't matter to TIIC anyway!EDIT: which is exactly what sky just said...
                          EDIT again (yeah, bad form): ::jumps on board with Tracy Jane and sally::

...apparently i really have no idea what i think... sam and jack forever?<3
                          sigpic

Comment

yes, she did. total adlib

AT has said she's rather proud of that. that she made up a line that's quoted so often
                            And so she should be. If I could come up with something like i'd feel proud very proud of myself.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

At the risk of having rotten 'shipper tomatoes thrown at me lol - I have to agree, Dem. Jack probably can have influence over Carter's assignments. I'm not certain it's his authority directly, he may have tangential influence, but he definitely has influence. I think the reason Landry had to ask Jack when Carter was at area 51 was probably that Carter was put completely in charge of the Area 51 facility (above even RnD). And I think, as such, she would have reported to the HHS. Which is why i (also) believe that any 'relationship/marriage' type stuff between Jack and Sam would likely have initially occured between Jack's transfer to HHS and Carter's transfer to 51 - while they were both still "in between", so to speak.

Having said that, even if that were not the case (and they didn't get together before she transferred) I don't think they'd be court martialled for having a relationship at this point anymore. I think the "chain" is pretty solidly established for Carter; as at least one level removed from Jack. Her direct superior is now General Landry and her performace eval(s), promotion(s), etc., would be decided by him.

As an aside, I also think, pretty much any 2-4+ star general in the AF at the Pentagon could (potentially) exercise influence over any other AF officer (below their rank), if they so desired. Regardless of station or assignment. They have a lot of power at that rank and station. Specific "titles" (like HHS) notwithstanding.

Originally posted by DEM
                              Last edited by minigeek; 11 April 2006, 10:34 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                Actually, I interpreted that section as her being with Jack, and Landry asking him to send her back. In a more personal sense. Sorry. I bat for Sally's team.
                                I agree with your interpretation TJ here's hoping that they were, i think ill be optamistic bout this

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Working...
                                X