Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wow.... look what happened while I was asleep.... sniffage talk, Sam for promotion... wow. As much as I want Sam to be promoted, I can't see it. As well as the spoilerage, I think you have to remember Skiffy's love of all things male in lead, and also that according to the backstory (I think), Cam has been Lt Col longer than Sam. I know you don't get promotion based solely on time in grade, but, hey, this is Sci Fi.

    As for watching paint dry... I had one thought.


    Body Paint.

    *hits deck*
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

    Comment


      I'll third it until the motion is carried!!!

      And congratulations ReganX

      Originally posted by ReganX
      I second the motion.

      Plus, I wanted my 500th post to be here.
      sigpic

      Comment


        Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        Wow.... look what happened while I was asleep.... sniffage talk, Sam for promotion... wow. As much as I want Sam to be promoted, I can't see it. As well as the spoilerage, I think you have to remember Skiffy's love of all things male in lead, and also that according to the backstory (I think), Cam has been Lt Col longer than Sam. I know you don't get promotion based solely on time in grade, but, hey, this is Sci Fi.

        As for watching paint dry... I had one thought.


        Body Paint.

        *hits deck*
        :shakes head, smiling:

        Yeah, yeah, yeah - you just wanna help scrub said paint off again. Though - :makes a quick check of Strix's, Myrth's, and AD's whereabouts: - I might suggest picking a big washroom, 'cause I don't think there'll be a lack of willing helpers for that chore... :chuckle:

        And, though I definitely cast my vote for promoting Sam - the woman beyond deserves it - I think the concept of promoting the woman to a rank higher than the man would never ever ever actually occur to TPTB as more than a dyspepsia-induced nightmare; the same sort of thing as dreams where all the laws of the universe somehow change, gravity doesn't work, light doesn't illuminate, water isn't wet, the earth isn't solid, the entire natural order of creation changes....

        They need to be introduced to the concept of the Gedankenexperiment.

        In the meantime, this is clearly a mission for fanfic.
        ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

        Comment


          so many things. man you guys have been chatty

          i got the vote for secrets

          and yes, YES, YES, you want to make this show interesting again, lose the frelling space ships, bombs and tons of sfx and sit your butts down and write some real and honest character interaction. enough of the frat boy jokes and SNL humor. give us something with some meat on it to sink our teeth into.

          as to the ads, well the focus on more general products COULD mean that they're not pulling good enough numbers in the 'all things young male' demos and can't cater to them like they'd like to so have to fallback on/admit that they're not the male appeal that they'd like to think they are

          as to promoting sam????? i'd love it, but honestly as sexist and discriminatory as skiffy and the kids are do you REALLY think they'll do the 'right' thing????? Nah. It'll be Cameron. he's the hewo, he's the star and he's the man.

          and if they promote him after he whines to landry, well hammer those final nails into the coffin of that character.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?


          sigpic

          Comment


            Morning friends! I have a bunch of stuff to give my take on, so here goes.
            I agree with MS on a few points. Why? It is a different show now, whether people like it or not. I think the point he was trying to make is Cam isn't Jack, we know that, but give him a chance. The problem with that tho was I feel it would have gone over much better if it was a gradual change, and the "loose ends" were taken care of first. As far as caring about one another, yes there have been a few bits here and there, but I've seen more snark and name calling etc. than anything else. I think the snark and sarcasm should be saved for after you build a relationship, considering the fact its hard to respect someone knew who is a little mouthy and brash.

            On the movie issue--I have good and bad vibes about it. Good because its about time, it would be cool to see all that up on the big screen. Bad becasue as others have said it may usher in a whole new idea/plot, etc. I was really thinking about this the other day too...When the sg1 we know and love is finally over for good, well, it made me sad to think about it. It sounds silly, I know, but after having these people in your living room for so long, knowing them as characters and people, its sad to think it about it ending. I remember when MASH ended I bawled my head off. I watched that show faithfully. (done w/ mushy)

            One more thing re the cons--I would love to go to Shore Leave to see Amanda, I'd give my right arm, (well my left since I'm right handed) to go. Its only about 8 hrs from me but the hotel costs are out of my range....grrr. However, does anyone know who to ocntact to see if these events, Gabit, Creation, etc. would or could record the event and sell the dvd's for those who can't go? Any info on this would be appreciated. Have a good one!!!

            Thanks Suekay for the sig!
            http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

            Comment


              Well, hopefully, your message will be seen by the Gabit crew here. If not, go onto the Gabit thread (in the Stargate Fandom forum) and ask there. Mumsey, Julia and Becky, three of the organisers, come to GW on a daily basis and read up on Samanda and the Gabit thread. But because Samanda moves so fast, it's probably best to post either over there, or PM them, or post on the gabit boards themselves at www.gabitevents.co.uk
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                :shakes head, smiling:

                Yeah, yeah, yeah - you just wanna help scrub said paint off again. Though - :makes a quick check of Strix's, Myrth's, and AD's whereabouts: - I might suggest picking a big washroom, 'cause I don't think there'll be a lack of willing helpers for that chore... :chuckle:

                And, though I definitely cast my vote for promoting Sam - the woman beyond deserves it - I think the concept of promoting the woman to a rank higher than the man would never ever ever actually occur to TPTB as more than a dyspepsia-induced nightmare; the same sort of thing as dreams where all the laws of the universe somehow change, gravity doesn't work, light doesn't illuminate, water isn't wet, the earth isn't solid, the entire natural order of creation changes....
                Yup. No way will they promote Carter over Mitchell. As Sim points out, that would violate the laws of male-dominated, hierarchical society that insists that leading men must lead. And even if the people at Bridge wanted to change that, the people higher up the food chain would surely prevent them from doing it.

                Okay, here's one for the bookkeeper. If I'm wrong, and they promote Carter over Mitchell, putting her in full command of SG-1, I'll put the first $40 down on a fruit basket for the writers.

                My LJ

                Comment


                  As much as Sam full-out deserves a promotion and has sooooo much more experience than Cam in the field of SGC stuff...ain't going to happen before Cam. Whenever Cam is in command of the team I feel as though the rest of the team kind of follows him around, almost humoring him. They seem like they're there with the papertowels to clean up when he makes a mess and are reduced to wallpaper in order to give him time to stretch his "leadership" role and capacity. I rarely get the feeling that Cam is a very capable leader, which would make seeing him get promoted over Sam even more painful. He undoubtedly has some sort of ability or he would never have gotten the position he has right now -- just wish we could see it a little more.

                  Sam on the other hand is a leader with every fiber of her being. She's intelligent, brave, experienced, knows when to call her wins and her losses, and is not reckless with those she serves and protects. She definitely has the capability and devotion to be the top offworld military presence in the SGC, and IMHO, rightly deserves that title. Of course, if that happens, it might seem as though poor Hero-Cam is there for no reason. I just can't see her getting promoted first because of this. If she does outrank him, Cam will just be another guy on the team -- everyone seems to need to be pegged in some way, and he will have lost his defining role. It's a shame.
                  Last edited by SnoggingPicard; 11 April 2006, 06:44 AM.

                  "But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

                  HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    PR you may not want to know, you may end up burying your head in the sand, then we may never see you again
                    Spoiler:
                    There is talk of Mitchell being stuck in a snow storm at the General's cabin whining(my word) about being in charge but not being able to give Sam orders b/c they are the same rank, and Daniel and Teal'c are civilians so he can't order them around either...whine, whine whine
                    I can see this playing out without it becoming whining. I think they need to be really careful that it doesn't come off as whining-Mitchell's having a hard enough time getting the fans behind him as it is, they don't want to make him look like a whiner too. Here's what I would do:

                    Spoiler:


                    Landry walks back into the living room and hands Mitchell a bottle of beer before settling himself in his favorite arm chair with a long sigh. He takes a few sips before turning to the younger colonel. "So....a year now. Is SG1 everything you thought it would be?"

                    "And more, General. And more."

                    "I am curious about one thing Cam. I've never heard you give them an order, why is that?."

                    Cam's head jerks up from his in-depth study of the bottle of Bud, "Huh?"

                    "Team Leaders give orders Mitchell."

                    "Are you kidding General?" Cam starts to laugh for a moment, then realizes that, perhaps, Landry isn't kidding. "Why would I need to do that? Carter's a seasoned Lt. Colonel. Same rank as me, and she has a damn site more experience at all this than I do. I don't need to order her to do things-she just knows what to do. And Daniel and Teal'c-they're civillians Sir. Besides...I trust them all."


                    I really DON'T like this spoiler.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don't like the idea of clearing up the 'leadership issue' by making it clear that Cam is sole lead. Don't like that at all.
                    But if I were doing it, I'd make sure that Cam isn't whining about his position.

                    I noticed another thing that really bothers me about the thought that Cameron might be leader over Sam while watching the Monday night marathon last night. Remember in Shades of Gray how Daniel and Teal'c reacted to, what they perceived as a slight against Sam by having Makepeace made new team leader? Daniel was openly argumentative with Hammond over it, and the look Teal'c gave Makepeace could have killed a non-military man. Then he just walked away without aknowledging him. Why would they suddenly be okay with Sam not getting the lead position now?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Deejay435
                      I can see this playing out without it becoming whining. I think they need to be really careful that it doesn't come off as whining-Mitchell's having a hard enough time getting the fans behind him as it is, they don't want to make him look like a whiner too. Here's what I would do:

                      Spoiler:
                      Landry walks back into the living room and hands Mitchell a bottle of beer before settling himself in his favorite arm chair with a long sigh. He takes a few sips before turning to the younger colonel. "So....a year now. Is SG1 everything you thought it would be?"

                      "And more, General. And more."

                      "I am curious about one thing Cam. I've never heard you give them an order, why is that?."

                      Cam's head jerks up from his in-depth study of the bottle of Bud, "Huh?"

                      "Team Leaders give orders Mitchell."

                      "Are you kidding General?" Cam starts to laugh for a moment, then realizes that, perhaps, Landry isn't kidding. "Why would I need to do that? Carter's a seasoned Lt. Colonel. Same rank as me, and she has a damn site more experience at all this than I do. I don't need to order her to do things-she just knows what to do. And Daniel and Teal'c-they're civillians Sir. Besides...I trust them all."


                      I really DON'T like this spoiler.
                      Spoiler:
                      I don't like the idea of clearing up the 'leadership issue' by making it clear that Cam is sole lead. Don't like that at all.
                      But if I were doing it, I'd make sure that Cam isn't whining about his position.

                      I noticed another thing that really bothers me about the thought that Cameron might be leader over Sam while watching the Monday night marathon last night. Remember in Shades of Gray how Daniel and Teal'c reacted to, what they perceived as a slight against Sam by having Makepeace made new team leader? Daniel was openly argumentative with Hammond over it, and the look Teal'c gave Makepeace could have killed a non-military man. Then he just walked away without aknowledging him. Why would they suddenly be okay with Sam not getting the lead position now?
                      i don't like that spoiler either. daniel's reaction to the promotion would be interesting, but knowing TIIC, he'd probably forget all about sam and congratulate mitchell on being the amazing person that he is. because after all, they're friends, despite mitch's tendency to use him as a side kick for his stupid jokes (i swear there's a word for this). or, they'd just leave out any reaction from him at all (character development? wha?), maybe have him smiling as mitchell gets called up. and then of course sam would have to congratulate him and say she's happy the world's about to fall apart. WHY didn’t the write him with an actual SKILL?
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

                      Comment


                        I'll throw in the second... plus one of those cool big nodding head thingos I keep seeing in con pics. [checks wallet and is pretty confident money is safe]



                        Originally posted by Strix varia
                        Okay, here's one for the bookkeeper. If I'm wrong, and they promote Carter over Mitchell, putting her in full command of SG-1, I'll put the first $40 down on a fruit basket for the writers.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Myrth
                          I'll throw in the second... plus one of those cool big nodding head thingos I keep seeing in con pics. [checks wallet and is pretty confident money is safe]

                          I wish I could take that bet... oh hell, whatever. I will. Put me down for Carter getting promoted (in rank) before Mitchell does. Not sure what I can contribute yet, but I'll take those odds - all in fun.

                          Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by tsaxlady
                            Okay I just saw the promo spot done by MS during SciFi Monday. You think maybe they are getting the point that people are not really happy with the new shiny SG-1, they keep telling us we should like. The whole point of his talk was that people need to care about the characters. He said the success of the show orginally was great stories and the chemistry of the cast. His last line was "The characters care about each other then the audience will too"

                            Do you remember when they showed that they cared for each other instead of telling us?

                            http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...ady/AT/SD2.jpg
                            http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...lady/AT/SD.jpg

                            I do remember. And I am hoping that tptb are remembering that too, and that's what MS's piece was about. I'm taking a positive view on what I've been seeing on the Monday night marathons. I'm hoping that MS's interview means that we WILL be seeing the characters caring more about each other in season 10.

                            They know Season 9 hasn't been as well received as they'd like. Earlier in the season we got interviews with folks who couldn't believe people were saying bad things, thought people were wrong, etc. etc. But now that the whole season has played out, and the numbers haven't been what they said they wanted/needed-I think they finally have to take a look at what went wrong.

                            And the issues MS interview were much of what went wrong.

                            Plus-has anyone else noticed that during the commercial breaks-when they do a little advert for the Theme Night itself that AT is very much showcased in them? There are five bits of her saying something, two of MS, and only one of anyone else.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Deejay435
                              I can see this playing out without it becoming whining. I think they need to be really careful that it doesn't come off as whining-Mitchell's having a hard enough time getting the fans behind him as it is, they don't want to make him look like a whiner too. Here's what I would do:

                              Spoiler:


                              Landry walks back into the living room and hands Mitchell a bottle of beer before settling himself in his favorite arm chair with a long sigh. He takes a few sips before turning to the younger colonel. "So....a year now. Is SG1 everything you thought it would be?"

                              "And more, General. And more."

                              "I am curious about one thing Cam. I've never heard you give them an order, why is that?."

                              Cam's head jerks up from his in-depth study of the bottle of Bud, "Huh?"

                              "Team Leaders give orders Mitchell."

                              "Are you kidding General?" Cam starts to laugh for a moment, then realizes that, perhaps, Landry isn't kidding. "Why would I need to do that? Carter's a seasoned Lt. Colonel. Same rank as me, and she has a damn site more experience at all this than I do. I don't need to order her to do things-she just knows what to do. And Daniel and Teal'c-they're civillians Sir. Besides...I trust them all."


                              I really DON'T like this spoiler.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don't like the idea of clearing up the 'leadership issue' by making it clear that Cam is sole lead. Don't like that at all.
                              But if I were doing it, I'd make sure that Cam isn't whining about his position.

                              I noticed another thing that really bothers me about the thought that Cameron might be leader over Sam while watching the Monday night marathon last night. Remember in Shades of Gray how Daniel and Teal'c reacted to, what they perceived as a slight against Sam by having Makepeace made new team leader? Daniel was openly argumentative with Hammond over it, and the look Teal'c gave Makepeace could have killed a non-military man. Then he just walked away without aknowledging him. Why would they suddenly be okay with Sam not getting the lead position now?
                              You're right, Deejay. The writers have their work cut out for them to make Mitchell's promotion over Sam palatable. It would help, I think if
                              Spoiler:
                              Landry took him aside and reminded him why he wanted Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c to be on his team in the first place: "so he could learn from the best." One of the biggest issues I had with Mitchell this season was that he never took their advice when it differed from what he wanted to do or what he believed. When Sam asked him to stay on earth in Arthur's Mantle... off he went. When she (they) told him not to get involved in Off the Grid, did he listen? No. Sure, he demonstrated that he was in command and could do whatever he wanted, but I would like him better if he actually paid attention to the far more experienced members of his team when they provided him with sound advice that went against his initial instincts. It didn't seem like he learned anything this season. This was compounded by the fact that he knew every detail about SG-1's past missions.

                              The Landry/Mitchell cabin scene could be a learning experience for him... unfortunately, I don't have much faith that the episode will be anything other than a "you're doing great, but you need to take a firmer hand in command now that you're promoted" pep-talk, with Mitchell going out and saving the team at the end to ensure that they see him properly as the hero he is. (And I do so hope I'm wrong about this.)

                              My LJ

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Strix varia
                                You're right, Deejay. The writers have their work cut out for them to make Mitchell's promotion over Sam palatable. It would help, I think if
                                Spoiler:
                                Landry took him aside and reminded him why he wanted Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c to be on his team in the first place: "so he could learn from the best." One of the biggest issues I had with Mitchell this season was that he never took their advice when it differed from what he wanted to do or what he believed. When Sam asked him to stay on earth in Arthur's Mantle... off he went. When she (they) told him not to get involved in Off the Grid, did he listen? No. Sure, he demonstrated that he was in command and could do whatever he wanted, but I would like him better if he actually paid attention to the far more experienced members of his team when they provided him with sound advice that went against his initial instincts. It didn't seem like he learned anything this season. This was compounded by the fact that he knew every detail about SG-1's past missions.

                                The Landry/Mitchell cabin scene could be a learning experience for him... unfortunately, I don't have much faith that the episode will be anything other than a "you're doing great, but you need to take a firmer hand in command now that you're promoted" pep-talk, with Mitchell going out and saving the team at the end to ensure that they see him properly as the hero he is. (And I do so hope I'm wrong about this.)

                                I really can't see Mitchell getting an actual promotion to Full Colonel. What has he done to EARN it? You're right about Mitchell not having learned anything last season-there was no character growth there at all. And they gave him plenty of opportunities.

                                I do think tptb are going to be more careful next season that the don't make the stupid mistakes they made this year. I do think what we're seeing on Monday nights is evidence that they know things went wrong and are trying to win back fans. They're going to have to do more than just woo us with interview segments though. They need to walk the walk. I'm going to chose to believe they know that, and will make things better.

                                But you know--these rose colored glasses can really pinch sometimes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X