Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the Solitudes discussion. I think that it's still one of the top ten best SG-1 episodes ever. And despite my rather unenthusiastic views of the work he's done on Atlantis, every time that I see certain SG-1 episodes that Brad Wright has written, my esteem for him as a writer and producer goes right back through the roof. Solitudes is one of those episodes. It is a terrific script based on a superb idea. Every single one of the actors is awesome in Solitudes, RDA and AT most of all. The sparse, unembellished setting and almost nonexistent lighting in the crevasse work beatifully in making the two characters, O'neill and Carter, the main focus of the story. The interaction and experience that these two people are going through is entirely engaging. Stories and episodes like this are peppered throughout SG-1's long run, and they're the main reason why I'm so damn disappointed in season nine.

Episodes such as Solitudes give the actors so much room to really make the characters work, to give them genuine depth and feeling. SG-1 didn't become so close simply because the writers called them "SG-1", slapped some patches on their shoulders and stuck'em in a obscene looking space ship. SG-1 became so close because the show used to focus on the shared experiences of the four leads. Let me put it another way. If this episode was written today, the most important part of Solitudes would be the fact that we found a second stargate. And, sure, that was really cool and important back then too. But the existence of a second stargate is entirely an afterthought in Solitudes. The closing shot of the episode is the second gate, and it's the first time in the episode where you pull back and realize, "oh yeah, holy crap, it's another gate!". That's a testament to how powerful the script is, and it's a testament to how spectacular AT and RDA were in the episode. They made that episode about Carter and O'neill.
    Excellent points about the episode. And I'm sorry to say I think you're right about the season 9 point.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      Exactly. It really is a team episode despite them being separated. There is really no "B" story, IMHO.
      Edit: oh, and let's not forget the insight we get into Hammond too.
      yeah, it was very much like tangent....which, despite the kids being separated most of the time, was a total team eps
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've been playing with making Sam avatars for Gateworld. The are saved as png files so they are a bit big for GW at the moment, but should be fine if you save them as a jpg. If anyone wishes to use one feel free.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          I've been playing with making Sam avatars for Gateworld. The are saved as png files so they are a bit big for GW at the moment, but should be fine if you save them as a jpg. If anyone wishes to use one feel free.

Those are AWESOME, Kat!! I love them! Wish I could use my own avatar - but I think I still have a few more posts to go.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Do you ever get the feeling your heads above every one else

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Those are AWESOME, Kat!! I love them! Wish I could use my own avatar - but I think I still have a few more posts to go.
              Thanks

You can be like me, I was well over 2,000 when Oober told me I only needed like 1,804. *grumbles to self about being really stupid* LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

lolol

i've watched hathor a dozen times and never noticed that
                guess that makes it easy to look up to her huh?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

You can be like me, I was well over 2,000 when Oober told me I only needed like 1,804. *grumbles to self about being really stupid* LOL
                  That depends. When I got mine you needed 2000. They changed the limits.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

LOL, that's really funny because one comment I recall hearing a lot at the con was the fact that Amanda was so much taller than people expected. Which was quite amusing to me, because she and I are pretty close to the same height.

Comment

I have a question for you Kat, what episode was the first pic from?
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

"Gigolo? Prince? Hey, it's a matter of respect here. Elvis is King; Frank Sinatra is King; Yul Brynner is King ... forget politically correct ... we never worried about semantics before."

Comment

Originally Posted by Lida
                          To everyone who watches SG1 on SciFi.....what do you think of the "new" presentation on Monday nights, that is, a theme....and it looks like tonight's theme is Sam, with a side order of Jack.

Also, any reaction to the "comments sections", especially those made tonight by Amanda, Ben and Claudia about the Sam/Jack ship? A savvy ploy on the part of SciFi and the tptb or just another way to tease the shippers? By the way, I thought Amanda looked great and was so adorable, especially when she gave the net address and made a slashing movement with her hand after she said "slash Stargate", (at least I think it was slash Stargate, I got so distracted watching her.... ).
                          <snip>

Sorry, I have to say it.

Well, "slash Stargate" is far different from saying "Stargate slash".

Suse
                          g, d & r
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Lastly, I'm afraid you'll have to put me in that camp that thinks it's nuts to believe that the ship ruins Carter's character. I think that very few fans have ever really only seen Carter as one half of a relationship, and I think that the never ending line of one-off romances makes the character far more fictional than any ongoing relationship with O'neill ever could. And while I understand that for some people seeing scientist!Sam and soldier!Sam is enough, I want a more completely drawn character. I want that for all the characters. To be honest, I think Daniel's character has been hurt by not developing some of the more personal sides of his nature. It's not about O'neill and Carter getting together so much as it's about making sure this exploration into Carter's personality hasn't been for nothing.
                            I'm also of the mind that doesn't think all of her romantic ships, including the Jack ship, and the lessons she learned from them ruined her character. If anything it gave the character a much more rounded and realistic and humanistic bent, and even showed her courage to confront herself on something she had issues with. Never did you see Daniel, Teal’c or Jack expressing self-doubts about themselves in their romantic or sexual ships. (And y’can’t tell me they didn’t have them!)

I see her as a strong, independent entity first and foremost, and any romantic ship she has as a complement to who she is, not the sole definition of who she is.
                            Why is there no "idiot" smiley?
                            Because there are no idiots golfbooy!

((((golfbooy))))
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

The term "Desperate Measures" keeps popping into my head when I cast my thoughts to it... I'll admit it's surprised me too, but as an unashamed shipper.. honestly I'm just gonna take what I can get.

Expanding on where I think the show is at the moment will take far too long, far too many words and earn me a backhanded thwap from Sky for spending so much time off topic

Sufficed to say...... it's Very Interestink!!

As far as The Ship goes, well, I don't know. I am rather shocked at the recent pimping of the O'neill/Carter relationship. I am shocked at the seeming ribald, forthright answers that are being given by the actors, and I'm honestly surprised by the promos Scifi aired last night. That sort of thing just isn't done. Such complete pandering to a "lost" segment of the audience hasn't been seen since Corin Nemec's name became anathema back in season seven. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I don't think it is. I'm just very surpised to see such a spectacularly unabashed turnaround after all of the talk of New Stargate and a "ship free" season nine. Add to that the fact that RDA is going to be doing what seems like very significant guest shots, and I'm having a hard time seeing this as anything other than a strategic retreat. I'm just happy that they know when to retreat. There's no point in going down with the ship if there's a life vest hanging in the closet. (Don't worry, that pun is so terrible that I'm actually cringing, too.)
                              sigpic

Comment

i see how the ship has been handled thus far is a compliment to the character. she didn't give into her desires for any sort of temporary fix but has, shipper interpretation here, recognized that there is a greater good to be satisified

i HOPE that any ship we get in s10 continues to be treated in a respectful manner

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X