Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ReganX
    You're probably right.

    It's a shame, because unless they can realize that they made some wrong choices for Season Nine, and admit this, if only to themselves, we cannot expect improvement in Season Ten, or any further seasons.

    And there won't be any future seasons after season 10, if they haven't addressed some of the major problems that a number of fans have expressed.

    I just have this little bit of hope that they are filming stories that are better balanced. I fear most how they have addressed the leadership issue. Obvously they ARE addressing it, but HOW. Hopefully, they've read alot of fan reaction to this problem. JM faced continual questioning about the leadership situation when he was around. And this issue continues to be a sore spot for many many fans (I would say alot offline too).

    Comment


      Originally posted by ReganX
      Given the advantage bringing in two new actors with established fan bases gave TPTB this season, the decline in ratings between Seasons Eight and Nine illustrates how poorly they handled the transition.

      A means of bringing in new viewers was handed to them on a silver platter, but instead they managed to alienate existing fans.

      Do they actually think they did a good job on Season Nine?
      apparantly they do. At least given interviews/opinions expressed by show folk a few months ago they were of the thought that s9 was the best season ever and they really can't understand why we can't see the greatness
      Where in the World is George Hammond?


      sigpic

      Comment


        Originally posted by Skydiver
        apparantly they do. At least given interviews/opinions expressed by show folk a few months ago they were of the thought that s9 was the best season ever and they really can't understand why we can't see the greatness
        I guess we're not getting all our memos.

        ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

        Comment


          Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          I guess we're not getting all our memos.

          Or we haven't received any recent memos!!

          Comment


            Originally posted by Skydiver
            apparantly they do. At least given interviews/opinions expressed by show folk a few months ago they were of the thought that s9 was the best season ever and they really can't understand why we can't see the greatness
            I wonder if they'll change their tune given the ratings drop, or if they'll come up with excuses for this.

            I saw little evidence of greatness in Season Nine.

            I can only be thankful that the first episodes I saw were on DVD. I can honestly say that if Season Nine had been the first I had seen of Stargate, I wouldn't be posting here now.

            Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

            Comment


              Originally posted by chocdoc
              And there won't be any future seasons after season 10, if they haven't addressed some of the major problems that a number of fans have expressed.

              I just have this little bit of hope that they are filming stories that are better balanced. I fear most how they have addressed the leadership issue. Obvously they ARE addressing it, but HOW. Hopefully, they've read alot of fan reaction to this problem. JM faced continual questioning about the leadership situation when he was around. And this issue continues to be a sore spot for many many fans (I would say alot offline too).
              and yet, when folks were expressing those questions, fans were continually blown off and poo-poo'd and ignored.

              Cam is a good addition to the team. He's played by a good actor and has a lot of potential. but as a leader he sucks. Felger is more qualified

              It is certainly a push to expect the writers to cater to every whim. however cam's leadership issues are not a whim. they're not a 'we want to see the furlings', they are a HUGE sticking point

              They knew this back in july/august, when they still had time to alter things for the end of s9...but did htey listen?

              no, they just blundered on ahead, keeping on thier merry way and i can only guess that it was with the thought of 'eh, they'll come around'
              Where in the World is George Hammond?


              sigpic

              Comment


                Originally posted by Skydiver
                and yet, when folks were expressing those questions, fans were continually blown off and poo-poo'd and ignored.

                Cam is a good addition to the team. He's played by a good actor and has a lot of potential. but as a leader he sucks. Felger is more qualified

                It is certainly a push to expect the writers to cater to every whim. however cam's leadership issues are not a whim. they're not a 'we want to see the furlings', they are a HUGE sticking point

                They knew this back in july/august, when they still had time to alter things for the end of s9...but did htey listen?

                no, they just blundered on ahead, keeping on thier merry way and i can only guess that it was with the thought of 'eh, they'll come around'

                i agreed
                i have very nice idea but my ENG is crapy for this


                sigpic

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Skydiver
                  and yet, when folks were expressing those questions, fans were continually blown off and poo-poo'd and ignored.

                  Cam is a good addition to the team. He's played by a good actor and has a lot of potential. but as a leader he sucks. Felger is more qualified

                  It is certainly a push to expect the writers to cater to every whim. however cam's leadership issues are not a whim. they're not a 'we want to see the furlings', they are a HUGE sticking point

                  They knew this back in july/august, when they still had time to alter things for the end of s9...but did htey listen?

                  no, they just blundered on ahead, keeping on thier merry way and i can only guess that it was with the thought of 'eh, they'll come around'

                  Yep just like they came around for S9
                  sigpic

                  my fanfic

                  Comment


                    About Carter leaving SG1 were the character to have kids...

                    I have to agree that at present, I don't see Carter wanting kids. She's nominally responsible for Cassie, and, it children are something that, while she may later want, right now, she simply has too many other priorities.

                    And this plays well toward a ship with Jack. He's done the parent thing. It didn't work out so well. I really don't think Jack wants kids either...

                    As far as S10 goes, well, we all know it's going to start with Sam saving the day...

                    Spoiler:
                    There's a reason after all TPTB got her off the ship and into a space suit before the big battle started... It'd be nice if they just keep up that momentum.
                    Tired of sharing your life with a creature that has the mind of a snake and wishes to enslave you and your people? Wish you could just once live symbiote free? Wonder why you can't enjoy long walks on the beach and religion free war?

                    Then TRITONEN! may be right for you!*

                    *Side effects may include loss of sleep, dry, itchy pouch, severe loneliness, and possible torture at the hands of a System Lord. In rare cases, Tritonen can lead to death. Consult with your First Prime before using.

                    Comment


                      see, i definitely see Sam leaving the team if she has children. She lost her mother and i don't see her wanting to risk her child experiencing the same thing.

                      She would, at least for a while, get herself a safer posting for the sake of her child

                      at least that's how i see her
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?


                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Skydiver
                        and yet, when folks were expressing those questions, fans were continually blown off and poo-poo'd and ignored.

                        Cam is a good addition to the team. He's played by a good actor and has a lot of potential. but as a leader he sucks. Felger is more qualified

                        It is certainly a push to expect the writers to cater to every whim. however cam's leadership issues are not a whim. they're not a 'we want to see the furlings', they are a HUGE sticking point

                        They knew this back in july/august, when they still had time to alter things for the end of s9...but did htey listen?

                        no, they just blundered on ahead, keeping on thier merry way and i can only guess that it was with the thought of 'eh, they'll come around'
                        I think the leadership issue is an important concern for many fans. Even if Sam (and Daniel and Teal'c) had left the SGC, never to return, Cameron is not the sort of person I would want to see commanding a team on the frontlines for the defence of Earth.

                        It is not a passing whim by a few nay-sayers. Anybody I've spoken to about Season Nine agrees that Sam should be in command, whether or not they like Cameron himself.

                        Had TPTB posted a poll towards the end of Season Eight, asking whether people thought that Sam should be ousted from her role as leader of SG-1 in favour of a newcomer with less 'gate travel experience than Felger, what do you imagine the response would have been?

                        I can't say whether sexism was involved, or whether a Lt Colonel Cameron Mitchell played by Claudia Black would still be leader, but I would not rule it out.

                        TPTB could have successfully incorporated Cameron into SG-1 without making him leader and they could have coped with Amanda and Sam's absence without demoting her. They could also have corrected the situation later in the season.

                        They chose not to do so and I think that this was a mistake on their parts.

                        Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

                        Comment


                          to me, it could have worked out that major mitchell was in command while sam was gone...and then when she returned, he settled into the second in command position

                          that's how it woulda worked in the 'real world'

                          but this isn't the real world, and i do think that it was sexism. I think that cam in command is because - in the eyes of either the writers or the people at sony/skiffy, a man MUST be in command, even if that man is gloriously incompetant and not fit to command...cause you know he's the star adn the star of the show must be the boss
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?


                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by SG1Poz
                            Sorry you feel that way Bink. As a shipper I'm thrilled to death!
                            I just don't understand why some see Sam as diminished when she's seen showing the emotion of love. I didn't feel diminished when I was in love.
                            It's not like the entire episode will show kissing, hugging or even the idea of snogging (think the bed scene with P). Even if I'd like it to be.
                            Hi...I'm joining late in this conversation, but I needed to go somewhere where there were some positive things about Carter. Ever since it's been announced that RDA is coming back, poor AT and Carter have been dragged through the mud. It's almost sad.

                            Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever they have planned, whether subtle or factual.
                            Last edited by nccjones; 01 April 2006, 02:49 PM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Skydiver
                              to me, it could have worked out that major mitchell was in command while sam was gone...and then when she returned, he settled into the second in command position

                              that's how it woulda worked in the 'real world'
                              That would have been an ideal solution. They could have said that Sam had been temporarily assigned to Area 51 to work on the X-304, a new weapon system or similar. Heck, I'd have accepted it if they had said that she had broken her leg.

                              Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ReganX
                                That would have been an ideal solution. They could have said that Sam had been temporarily assigned to Area 51 to work on the X-304, a new weapon system or similar. Heck, I'd have accepted it if they had said that she had broken her leg.
                                I agree that a better explanation for her absense could have been handled then "she took a position at Area 51". From what I've seen of Season 9, Carter was more in command than Mitchell. It makes absolutely no sense as to why she has to take orders from a guy with no experience. Even after a year, I don't feel he has the experience needed.

                                I know...I'm rehashing old ground...lol.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X