Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoilers for s6's paradise lost

Originally posted by chocdoc
    Great point. The Sam/Teal'c friendship has always interested me and I wish they would explore it in much more depth. I really like Paradise Lost because of how Teal'c notices Sam's worry/concern/angst/anxiety throughout the whole show---you can tell that he can feel her anxiety and is worried about her. And of course the locker room scene is fantastic between these two characters. I also liked the Sam/Teal'c scene in the beginning of New Order and Sam asking Teal'c if he wanted a turkey sandwich because she knows he likes that! And someone else mentioned the great scene in Space Race when Teal'c wanted to remain with Sam.
    That reminds me of one of my fave scenes in Paradise Lost. When Sam confronts Dr Lee about him packing up to go back to Earth, and she's angry and upset... I LOVED Amanda's expressions in that scene! She knew she was being unreasonable, but she also knew that Lee was being disrespectful to her authority. But her emotions got the better of her and she reacted more than I think she wanted too. But that whole exchange between them was just another example of Amanda nailing those kinds of scenes. As the semi argument went on, you could see Sam's defeated demeanor increase. As I'm typing this, I can see the look on her face when Lee is literally balling her out. And then when he walks off (wanted to slug him), Sam suddenly notices that Teal'c is watching her and she gets self-conscious. Absolute *wonderful* acting!

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      Speaking of Amanda projects, has anyone ever seen her movie 'Stuck'? I'm not sure if it was a short movie, but it also starred J.R. Bourne (Martouf). I really, really wanted to see that movie, because Amanda played a drug addict. I want to see it!!!

Sally
      She must have even greater acting range than I ever thought. Never in my wildest dreams could I mentally picture Amanda playing a drug addict.

Comment

And as for whether only "older" women like Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping, I don't think that assessment is accurate at all. I've been watching Samantha Carter and respecting her character since I was maybe 13 or so. She was a strong female character, smart, intelligent, tough, deserving of respect. And she was also a scientist on top of a military officer. 5 years later, here I am becoming a scientist (for sure), and I think just some tiny small part of that can be attributed to characterizations such as that of Carter in the media, showing that women can be successful in scientific fields. I've respected her throughout my adolescence, and I don't think there is an infimum on what age viewers can like Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          You may be right that she would tell them. I guess I wasn't sure if she might think it would make her appear "weak" in their eyes. And I'm also a big advocate of exploring the Sam & Teal'c friendship. I think I said elsewhere that I think that is sadly untapped. I wonder about how knowing Sam has changed Teal'c's attitudes toward women. My impression has been that Jaffa society is pretty patriarchal.
          i am sooo much a sam/teal'c junkie.

and yes, whiile i have written some smut, the part i really like exploring is their friendship. I think the two of them have a lot in common

first of all, their fathers. both of them grew up under the shadow of dad. In teal'c's case it was 'dad the failed first prime of cronos' in sam's case it was 'daddy, the general'

both of them feel things a lot deeper than they show.

and i think that teal'c is the one person around whom sam can really relax. Yes, she is friends with daniel...but in the field, she's daniel's boss. that has to put some pressure adn distantance ina way. With Jonas, she was very much like a big sister.
          with jack, eh he's her boss. she'll never be truly open around him

i think with teal'c, however, she's his equal and vice versa. she may be his boss in the field, but he's got hundreds of years of experience that she can draw from

i think they're fantastic partners
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
            And as for whether only "older" women like Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping, I don't think that assessment is accurate at all. I've been watching Samantha Carter and respecting her character since I was maybe 13 or so.
            Amanda Tapping has been my idol since I was... oh, about 9 years old... Sam has been my second idol ever since I found out about Stargate.

Speaking of Amanda projects, has anyone ever seen her movie 'Stuck'? I'm not sure if it was a short movie, but it also starred J.R. Bourne (Martouf). I really, really wanted to see that movie, because Amanda played a drug addict. I want to see it!!!

Sally

I would absolutely DIE to see Stuck... and have been saying that since it came out in, what, 2000? I mean... Amanda as a heroine addict, of all things, with JR as her nice good boy boyfriend who still helps her shoot up... stuck in an elevator, a crazy business person, and i forget what the fourth character's like... anyways. Amanda's character and JR's actually... *ahem* pursue...sexual actions... with each other... while the other two are still in it...! Never thought i'd see that either! It helps that i'm a Sam/Martouf shipper... was...

Anyways, I reaaally want to see Stuck, but I fear it might never happen. My best friend asked JR about it at GateCon... 200...4. He said it was pushed onto the shelf, and will probably never re-surface.
            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Sally
              Hi Sally and Major Sam (Major Sal and Major Sam - are you two sisters?)

"Stuck" was an indie (independent short-film project) originally taken on by JR Bourne and I believe he then sent script to AT and invited her to join the cast. She liked it, obviously, and went onboard because, again, as a good actor, you want to always challenge and stretch yourself. Playing a sex-craved drug-addict in an elevator seems about as far afield as she could get from Sam Carter's elevator scenes in Stargate! Jan Newman, the makeup person for Stargate, actually volunteered her free time too (I think AT actually shot this film "for free" because she believed in the project), and both flew to Toronto to shoot it around their schedule with Stargate. Jan, of course, wanted to apply AT's makeup.

A little off topic here, but this may be educational: Indies are a hard sell and a hard market to break into - the short-film kind are usually about 20 minutes long and the producer/director tries to pitch the completed film at various film festivals (think Sundance and Williamstown) for exposure, hoping that some one will pick it up for mass distribution. My own daughter, who is a writer, just adapted one of her plays as a screenplay, and once the film gets made, more than likely it will be going through this lengthy process.

I saw a screening of "Spellbound" which was a very funny and well made indie about the U.S. Spelling Bees and what it takes to get to the National. The young directors came to the festival in Williamstown and spoke with the audience afterwards plus I was sitting right in back of one of the "stars" and her family. From there, the movie was picked up and, eventually, was nominated for an Oscar. It had gained national distribution and is now on DVD, all this from just some trial runs at independent film festivals. I believe that this is what has to happen to "Stuck". If it gets good initial reviews, then a movie company may pick it up and give it major distribution, and this may take a few years. If it gains merit, we may one day get to see Amanda in that elevator with "Martouf". And what a scene that should be!
              Last edited by ChopinGal; 20 January 2005, 09:10 AM. Reason: Edit address.

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Welcome All Girls, Women, Guys, and Men This is a user-friendly, totally inclusive Thread!

Omigosh, reading some of the most recent posts and LOL ... I think I started something when I mentioned about (ahem, er, cough, cough) older women and their admiration for Sam/AT Of course, I was speaking as a part of that often forgotten but always loyal fanbase of smart and sassy and mature gals over the age of 40 (?!) We see Sam possibly as who we were or wanted to be when we were that age ... (am I digging a deeper hole here?) I never meant to imply that she only appeals to our generation of women - but, younger fans will be seeing her as a role model to grow into whereas I see her as my own spunky daughter and my own spunky self at past times in my life when I did some Sam Carter kind of stuff. Not that I haven't climbed a few mountains lately! Age is a state of mind, not a number!

So, again, all you guys and gals on this thread - I think it's great that our Sam Carter has such a wide appeal to so many ages - she is Everywoman in that she brings out some of the best human qualities by playing such a three-dimensional character. She inspires us to be like her whether we're looking forward or looking back. And, believe me, you're never too old to kick butt!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Hi Sally

"Stuck" was an indie (independent short-film project) originally taken on by JR Bourne and I believe he then sent script to AT and invited her to join the cast. She liked it, obviously, and went onboard because, again, as a good actor, you want to always challenge and stretch yourself. Playing a sex-craved drug-addict in an elevator seems about as far afield as she could get from Sam Carter's elevator scenes in Stargate! Jan Newman, the makeup person for Stargate, actually volunteered her free time too (I think AT actually shot this film "for free" because she believed in the project), and both flew to Toronto to shoot it around their schedule with Stargate. Jan, of course, wanted to apply AT's makeup.

If it gains merit, we may one day get to see Amanda in that elevator with "Martouf". And what a scene that should be!
                  Yup, Amanda and the other actors were rehearsing for about 2 months before filming it, and no, none of them got paid. I certainly wouldn't need money to motivate me to be a character who gets it on with JR

JR's own uncle actually directed the film, just a wee bit of trivia.

I reaaally hope it gains merit, but it's already been a few years... I don't know the time-frames of these things, but I would think the longer it stays on the shelf, the less chances

Yup, a scene with Amanda and JR getting it on, I say again, while the other two people are there as well... I would probably be laughing my head off the entire time, but I just have a warped sense of humour!

Hear Ye Hear Ye Welcome All Girls, Women, Guys, and Men This is a user-friendly, totally inclusive Thread!

Omigosh, reading some of the most recent posts and LOL ... I think I started something when I mentioned about (ahem, er, cough, cough) older women and their admiration for Sam/AT Of course, I was speaking as a part of that often forgotten but always loyal fanbase of smart and sassy and mature gals over the age of 40 (?!) We see Sam possibly as who we were or wanted to be when we were that age ... (am I digging a deeper hole here?) I never meant to imply that she only appeals to our generation of women - but, younger fans will be seeing her as a role model to grow into whereas I see her as my own spunky daughter and my own spunky self at past times in my life when I did some Sam Carter kind of stuff. Not that I haven't climbed a few mountains lately! Age is a state of mind, not a number!

So, again, all you guys and gals on this thread - I think it's great that our Sam Carter has such a wide appeal to so many ages - she is Everywoman in that she brings out some of the best human qualities by playing such a three-dimensional character. She inspires us to be like her whether we're looking forward or looking back. And, believe me, you're never too old to kick butt!
                  Completely true post! I myself generalized somewhat for the age of Sam fans, but throughout the years as i've discovered all the different fan sites and gained new friends, both where I live, and throughout the international net world, I am constantly being suprised when I find out about different fans. This year at Gatecon there was an...8? year old girl with her mom. I admit that's the same age as I was when I found out about Amanda. But still, 8 years old-I don't even know how old. Samanda (Sam/Amanda, hehe) can inspire you no matter what age you are, in multitudes of different ways. Once again, a quality that only makes me admire her more! There are sooo many females on TV who are for only a very specific age group.

Hi Sally and Major Sam (Major Sal and Major Sam - are you two sisters?)
                  Hahaha, that's for us to know, and you to not

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Great point. The Sam/Teal'c friendship has always interested me and I wish they would explore it in much more depth. I really like Paradise Lost because of how Teal'c notices Sam's worry/concern/angst/anxiety throughout the whole show---you can tell that he can feel her anxiety and is worried about her. And of course the locker room scene is fantastic between these two characters. I also liked the Sam/Teal'c scene in the beginning of New Order and Sam asking Teal'c if he wanted a turkey sandwich because she knows he likes that! And someone else mentioned the great scene in Space Race when Teal'c wanted to remain with Sam.

Maybe in Season Nine, once Carter comes back, they could have Sam and Teal'c together on a dangerous mission and they have to count on one another for survival. Some kind of situation that challenges the relationship---tests it. Makes their friendship deepen even more---where their mutual respect for each other deepens to a new level.
                    I've been thinking the exact same thing! A Sam/Teal'c centered arc on an episode would be a wonderful setting for a Season 9 story... something that illustrates the depth of the bonds they've forged over the past 8+ years.

Comment

Hi there,
                      gosh its going to take a while to respond to all the great posts!!

Firstly, thanks to everyone for help and info re the fanfics and those who have kindly said I can download. I am on dialup and pay by the minute!!! So downloading will be great!

I've just got a 33kg pooch laid across my lap, so it will take longer to reply as one hand is now occupied with tummy tickles - he's such a big wuss!!!

I must wave a white flag around re older women comment too. I also assumed it was mainly older women who admired her. Great to know there is a cross section of admiration. How do I categorise older? Well its all relative isn't it!!

Dipsofjazz - Hi up there in Bonny Scotland - my favourite place! I'm off up to Glenelg next weekend and hoping for snow!! Re recommendations for your course - I think all the main ones have been mentioned, but here are a few additional ones:

Learning Curve - when Sam and Merrin get the reactor to work
                      Within the Serpents Grasp - Good action Sam scenes
                      The Serpent's Lair - the decision to blow the ship and themselves up
                      In the Line Of Duty - At the start when Sam helps the villager
                      1969 - When they are locked up in the SGC and Sam makes it clear that they can't explain anything - she shows great assertiveness and authority
                      Into The Fire - Down in the To'kra tunnels Sam volunteers to go back to the Goa'uld base on her own to find the Colonel and Blow the force field generator
                      Legacy - The scene where she is taking instructions from Janet on how to get rid of Machello's bugs. - The 2 women work well together. Jack is totally useless in this situation - which I think was deliberate by the writers.
                      New Ground - Refusing to talk when locked in the cage
                      Small Victories - O'Neill saying they shouldn't beam up as it is a one way trip, then the next scene Sam and Teal'c beaming up with the weapons.

These are just a few, but I'm sure you will be suffering Sam overload!!

Astrogeologist - Good point re not showing Sam as perfect, and that she showed great strength of character in the briefing scene. Thankyou for reiterating in that post re the B Stanwyk quote - it really makes sense now - you've hit the nail on the head (Lancashire - The Land of Idioms - or is it Idiots?!) I agree with your comments on how they could be better at incorporating more private lives stuff.

Major Sam - great post (your long one)

Chopingal
                      I'm up in the North West of England. Sorry about your forced trip to the south. If it happened now I could help out re tourist info - and poss meet up and take you out for the day!! Are you coming back over for the rescheduled event?
                      Thanks for the fanfic info and some great comments in your post.

Tara3583 - I loved that scene with Sam and Jacob when she didn't want him to leave whilst annoyed.

Astrogeologist - Thanks for the fanfic info

SK8r^Ry - welcome!!

Jacfan55 - I also like Teal'c - thanks for mentioning some of the great Teal'c Sam scenes. They are quite sweet together - but then Sam is sweet with all 3 of them. She has a certain quality with people.

Was anything interesting mentioned on the Lowdown (apart from spoilers re season 8?)

Right I shall attempt to download some fanfic - then its playtime with pooch!!

I'll Look forward to the next posts

Comment

I really enjoy reading this thread. Everyone here is here for the same reason. I have read so much in other threads about how people think Sam's character has deteriorated in recent seasons. Yes true, she has made a few mistakes lately, some of them pretty major. So what? It's still Sam, and maybe we are seeing a slightly different Sam to who she was at the beginning of the series, but the fact is she's still the same character she has always been.
                        I just want to say thankyou for keeping this thread alive for me to read! It is one of the best threads here .
                        And sometimes I think that maybe I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't been watching Sam since I was tiny. But I can't think of anyone but her who I'd rather have as a role model. I know my interests would most certainly lie in other subjects if Sam hadn't taught me that studying science doesn't have to be thought of as weird. So thankyou to the "Sam's a great character thread" and all the people who post in it.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

To "A member of the Chevron Guy fan club"
                          Oh joy! I'll have to join too - please be sure to read my only other fanfic floating out there in cyberspace right now. It's called Man of the Hour You can find it at http://www.fanfiction.net/~chopingal

I did it originally for another BBoard and it was because Walter, poor Walt, was just not getting the respect he deserves! Let me know if you like the pairing! Matter of fact, when I went to upload it, I couldn't even find Walter as a listed character ...

So glad to see that he does, indeed, have his own fan club.
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 20 January 2005, 12:54 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

Maybe in Season Nine, once Carter comes back, they could have Sam and Teal'c together on a dangerous mission and they have to count on one another for survival. Some kind of situation that challenges the relationship---tests it. Makes their friendship deepen even more---where their mutual respect for each other deepens to a new level.
                            I love that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                              I really enjoy reading this thread. Everyone here is here for the same reason. I have read so much in other threads about how people think Sam's character has deteriorated in recent seasons. Yes true, she has made a few mistakes lately, some of them pretty major. So what? It's still Sam, and maybe we are seeing a slightly different Sam to who she was at the beginning of the series, but the fact is she's still the same character she has always been.
                              I just want to say thankyou for keeping this thread alive for me to read! It is one of the best threads here .
                              And sometimes I think that maybe I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't been watching Sam since I was tiny. But I can't think of anyone but her who I'd rather have as a role model. I know my interests would most certainly lie in other subjects if Sam hadn't taught me that studying science doesn't have to be thought of as weird. So thankyou to the "Sam's a great character thread" and all the people who post in it.
                              Deep Space - how terrific is that?!! You actually started taking more science classes because of Sam Carter as a role model! Let's hear it for this girl!

For too many years, math and science courses seemed to be the realm of the boys. Thank goodness, that is changing. Do you plan to major in science or math in college/university? I'm very impressed. Hope AT reads this thread someday and sees what an influence she's been on your life.
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 20 January 2005, 01:34 PM. Reason: Format

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                                Hey! Welcome! Always hyper when a new person joins our little corner of the forum. I just want to say, I'm completely the same. in Elementary school I was all "perfect little goody goody" with my grades and stuff, but wasn't... lets just say, not the most attractive of people, and I had basically no friends. I started getting more and more... unhappy, with that, and so I looked to, admittedly, Amanda Tapping, and Sam Carter. Through the last few years of elementary I kept getting more and more confident and happy with my good marks, but also being more and more social. That was ages ago, but one time at GateCon I told this to Amanda, and she just was gushing about how brilliant and happy she was that she can help people in any way they need it. Now I'm probably the most confident person I know, i'm happy, I have millions of friends, I still get really good grades, and have been told that I look like a young Amanda (just with brown hair) which, for me, is the best compliment on looks I could ever hope for, as I think she's the most gorgeous person ever to exist.

I am pursuing a science career, but for the past 2 years i've been reaaally into the whole military thing, so who knows, the SGC might be in my future I'm following in the Canadian hero (McKay of course!) 's path!

Anyways, that's more than I've ever revealed about myself on the net... just my cheesy little story...

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Working...
                                X