Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Maybe I'm just making an issue out of something that doesn't need to be, but isn't it kinda against the spirit of this thread to come here complaining about another thread and the posters in it? Just because they don't agree with your point of view, doesn't make them dense or idiotic or should make a need to virulently defend your point of view. It's not a 'battle' that needs to be won, or actually can ever be won.

Remember Hic Commatis Regit? That applies to everyone, not just the people that agree with you.
    sorry. didn't mean to drag it in here. was just looking for opinions. i'm not trying to win, or to change anyones mind. i'm just debating. its fun for me. when it stops being fun (as it did a while ago), thats when i quit.

Comment

Happy belated birthday Lida!!

Comment

I go through all this crap and I'm still on page 2
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

I'm quoting this picture because it's just great, but I really wanted to say...

Happy Birthday, Lida!!!
          I hope you spoiled yourself rotten!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            I would like to be able to say that Sam has been my favourite character since the first episode I saw, but since that episode was 'The Enemy Within', I can't. Sam wasn't really shown very prominently in that episode and, although I definitely found her character interesting from the start, it was 'Emancipation' that launched her to the position of my favourite character.

Although the team made quite a few mistakes on Simarka, I thought that Sam showed bravery and compassion, and remained very level headed given the circumstances of her abduction. She also demonstrated an impressive ability for hand to hand combat and her restraint in not killing Turghan was admirable, and probably not something I'd have shown under the circumstances.

I don't think that there could have been any doubt that Sam was an asset to the team after 'Emancipation'.

'Singularity' was another great episode for Sam, showing the depths of compassion that the character was capable of, something that Cassandra must have sensed in her, given how quickly she became attached to her. Perhaps some might say that staying with Cassie based on a feeling was foolish, but I think that Sam is to be admired for her refusal not to leave a little girl alone to die. I shudder to think what it might have done to Cassie emotionally if she had been left alone, thinking that she was about to die any second, for however long it took for those above to be sure that she wasn't going to blow up and for someone to go down to her.

I have lost count of the amount of times that Sam's intelligence and grace under pressure have saved Earth - she's even saved the Asgard! - and, although Jack was the one who negotiated the deal that included Earth in the Protected Planets Treaty and definitely deserves praise for that, that deal would never have gone through had Sam not been able to put aside her personal feelings and use Goa'uld technology, something she is not all that comfortable with, to save Cronus' life.

It was a perfect example of Sam's willingness to put the greater good ahead of herself.

It is true that Sam has made mistakes at times, but her successes far outweigh them and I have never had a reason to doubt her intelligence, her courage, her integrity, her commitment to work or, more importantly, her heart.

Through the seasons, I have seen Sam mature from an eager, almost naive captain to a capable and compassionate leader, whose military prowess has evolved along with her scientific expertise.

I firmly believe that she would be an amazing commander for SG-1, but sadly that is not the case. I hope that this situation will be rectified next season, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Samantha Carter is the type of character I wish were real. If the Earth really was at risk from hostile aliens, I for one would sleep a lot better knowing that somebody like Sam was a part of the fight against them.
            From reading that wonderful post, I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all fitting into our crazy little community. Welcome to Samanda.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              Happy Birthday, Lida!!!

I hope you spoiled yourself rotten!
              Me too. Me too.

Happy Belated Birthday, Lida!

Comment

This may be a bit off topic but I found the funniest SG1 video, I thought I'd share it with you all...it defies description...see for your self
                http://ca.search.yahoo.com/video/vie...&dur=195&src=p
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  i think a lot of it is just how amanda tapping is choosing to play it this year as opposed to any conscious choice by the writers.
                  I have to agree with you, I believe Sam is finally in a position where rank isn't a huge factor so Sam can let her hair down some what and be herself and Amanda is taking full advantage of that situation. It was so strange for me to meet Amanda and Chris in person because they are both so different from the characters they portray on Stargate. They both so immensely witty and jovial and we so rarely see that side of them on Stargate. It's actually been really nice to see them be able to open the characters up a bit more and allow a part of their natural wit to shine through.

I'm totally enjoying Sam this season. I just wish there had been more of her.

Comment

Heroes 2 was on tonight...and all I can say is WOW.

I don't know how long it's been since you've caught that episode...it certainly is a difficult one for me to watch for obvious reasons...but I encourage you to do so for the Sam content alone.

We see her in soldier mode, angry mode, hurting mode and comforted mode. She really doesn't have a whole lot of lines in this one too. So much emotion angst and pathos from so little.

It's just a reminder to me as to how POWERFUL the Sam Carter character is...how NECESSARY she is to the landscape of Stargate SG-1...how BRILLIANT Amanda is to be able to add so many layers of depth and nuance to any scene she's in...and how BLESSED we are that she's still there.

I'd also encourage any PTB to rewatch that episode to see how a real episode with real depth and passion is done and to be reminded how incredible and gifted Amanda truly is.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      I would like to be able to say that Sam has been my favourite character since the first episode I saw, but since that episode was 'The Enemy Within', I can't. Sam wasn't really shown very prominently in that episode and, although I definitely found her character interesting from the start, it was 'Emancipation' that launched her to the position of my favourite character.

Although the team made quite a few mistakes on Simarka, I thought that Sam showed bravery and compassion, and remained very level headed given the circumstances of her abduction. She also demonstrated an impressive ability for hand to hand combat and her restraint in not killing Turghan was admirable, and probably not something I'd have shown under the circumstances.

I don't think that there could have been any doubt that Sam was an asset to the team after 'Emancipation'.

'Singularity' was another great episode for Sam, showing the depths of compassion that the character was capable of, something that Cassandra must have sensed in her, given how quickly she became attached to her. Perhaps some might say that staying with Cassie based on a feeling was foolish, but I think that Sam is to be admired for her refusal not to leave a little girl alone to die. I shudder to think what it might have done to Cassie emotionally if she had been left alone, thinking that she was about to die any second, for however long it took for those above to be sure that she wasn't going to blow up and for someone to go down to her.

I have lost count of the amount of times that Sam's intelligence and grace under pressure have saved Earth - she's even saved the Asgard! - and, although Jack was the one who negotiated the deal that included Earth in the Protected Planets Treaty and definitely deserves praise for that, that deal would never have gone through had Sam not been able to put aside her personal feelings and use Goa'uld technology, something she is not all that comfortable with, to save Cronus' life.

It was a perfect example of Sam's willingness to put the greater good ahead of herself.

It is true that Sam has made mistakes at times, but her successes far outweigh them and I have never had a reason to doubt her intelligence, her courage, her integrity, her commitment to work or, more importantly, her heart.

Through the seasons, I have seen Sam mature from an eager, almost naive captain to a capable and compassionate leader, whose military prowess has evolved along with her scientific expertise.

I firmly believe that she would be an amazing commander for SG-1, but sadly that is not the case. I hope that this situation will be rectified next season, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Samantha Carter is the type of character I wish were real. If the Earth really was at risk from hostile aliens, I for one would sleep a lot better knowing that somebody like Sam was a part of the fight against them.
                      great post, reganx!

it was 'emancipation' that made sam my fave character too! kickbutt sam, who not only handled herself, but beat up the bully!

and it only got better after that.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Maybe I'm just making an issue out of something that doesn't need to be, but isn't it kinda against the spirit of this thread to come here complaining about another thread and the posters in it? Just because they don't agree with your point of view, doesn't make them dense or idiotic or should make a need to virulently defend your point of view. It's not a 'battle' that needs to be won, or actually can ever be won.

Remember Hic Commatis Regit? That applies to everyone, not just the people that agree with you.
                        i think as long as we're nice, we can talk about stuff that IS about sam/amanda.

how about you start a topic then, ad? what should we talk about? i know it's hard to come up with something that we haven't already discussed. seasons 1-8 have pretty much been done. season 9 is VERY hard to discuss, with sam literally being a supporting player now. season 10? what can we discuss about that?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Happy birthday Lida

and many, many more
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            Heroes 2 was on tonight...and all I can say is WOW.

I don't know how long it's been since you've caught that episode...it certainly is a difficult one for me to watch for obvious reasons...but I encourage you to do so for the Sam content alone.

We see her in soldier mode, angry mode, hurting mode and comforted mode. She really doesn't have a whole lot of lines in this one too. So much emotion angst and pathos from so little.

It's just a reminder to me as to how POWERFUL the Sam Carter character is...how NECESSARY she is to the landscape of Stargate SG-1...how BRILLIANT Amanda is to be able to add so many layers of depth and nuance to any scene she's in...and how BLESSED we are that she's still there.

I'd also encourage any PTB to rewatch that episode to see how a real episode with real depth and passion is done and to be reminded how incredible and gifted Amanda truly is.
                            That was a very powerful epsode, however I like to believe it didn't happen and Janet is still with us, (well that's in my world anyway)

And they haven't been able to replace her with any real satisfaction
                            Last edited by Mandysg1; 09 March 2006, 11:15 AM.
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              To NearlyCircular and the rest of you wonderful people, thank you for your outpouring of love and support, and for your birthday wishes. My mom is deteriorating, and I'm on my way back to hospital now. However, after reading my PM's, I had to thank you all. You have no idea how much your messages have helped.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I don't know what else to say. This past few weeks has been so very hard for my family and myself, but I believe the end is very near. Knowing that there are people you have never met, praying for you and your loved one, is an amazing feeling.

Hic Comitas Regit
                              can't green you

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((lida)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                Now that's one helluva way to win an argument.
                                Not sure what exactly this is referring to - my having the "other side" on ignore or the fact that with OOber, SB and Strix, et. al. on the "rigth" side of the debate makes it a winner but to clarify -- when I say I have the "other side" on ignore I refer to one who shall remain nameless. I know exactly what his posts say as they all say the same thing plus I get more than enough info on his posts from the snippets that are quoted in other posts responding to his. I do not make posts based on unknown information it's just that his arguments are rote and mostly moot.

Comment

Working...
                                X