Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
    Since no one's mentioned this yet for COTG, I love the scene between Jack, Sam, and Charlie where Sam says they can set a claymores up along the hill and then Charlie agrees. I just love seeing her get accepted by those 2 as a soldier. And then of course the battle scene for the same reason. It always amazes me when I watch COTG and then something in s6-s8, she's grown so much.
    I don't know, I got a different interpretation from that scene. To me it came off as Jack and Kowalsky giving off the feeling of "Oh great look at the new 'guy' " And the look on Sam's face was more like "you jerk" Not that she'd ever say it.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Jack: Ah, come on Daniel, why not?
      Daniel: Because Jack we already agreed to it.
      Teal'c: That is correct O'Neill, we agreed to go to the costume party dressed as characters from the Wizard of Oz.
      Jack: I know, I'm not saying we can't do that.
      Daniel: But, Jack we agreed Sam would be Dorothy, now you want to be Dorothy?
      Jack: Well ya...Tell me what do you think about it Carter?
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        I don't know, I got a different interpretation from that scene. To me it came off as Jack and Kowalsky giving off the feeling of "Oh great look at the new 'guy' " And the look on Sam's face was more like "you jerk" Not that she'd ever say it.
        That's what I got from it too. That once again she was being given the nod as "the girl" or "the newbie" and that she wasn't very happy about it either.
        sigpic

Comment

huh. ok. but she was right wasn't she? they were just annoyed that she was, which is a rather good start. that's what i thought. maybe you're right.
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I love Vala as well, and think that she and Sam will play well off each other. I do have a fear that she, along with Mitchell, will take over the show, though.
            I think once they bring her back, they're going to have to tone her down a bit - I know that'll make me unpopular with Vala fans, but I think it's just the truth. I also know not everyone agrees with me, but Vala in early season nine was a little too over the top, and yes, if she stays that way, she'll end up dominating scenes in a way that won't necessarily be positive. OTOH, I think the writers are aware of that, and the actors are too. As a guest star, she could be a little burlesque, but as a regular, she'll have to find her niche without upstaging the others in every scene. I think she can do that. I choose to hope it'll work out that way. If it doesn't, then I think the integrity (and the plausibility) of the show as a whole will go down. She can't play a flouncy intergalactic sex-kitten forever, and she does have a deeper story than that, so unless the writers forgo that story entirely in favor of kitsch, I think we simply have to see a more balanced version of Vala begin to emerge as season ten progresses.

geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
              Well I think Sam's a fantastic Role Model for young women, inteligent, hardworking, loyal, unnasuming, kind and compassionate - things we should all strive to be. I don't think you can give characters like that enough exposure....
              Another blue jello-worthy post, Coley!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                strix likes both the ladies
                LOL! Um... no. But I do like Sunkrux, AD, dancer, Ooooober and the other Vala fans who like Sam also, or are Sam fans who are at least willing to give Vala a chance. And I also like Coley, Sal, Mandy and the other people who have strong anti-Vala opinions. I love this thread, and the people on it.

Unfortunately, I think Vala is the hot-button battlefield topic for a lot of people on the thread (more so than any other topic), and all it takes is one passing shot ("I don't understand how you can't like Vala") and BAM! Coley (cranky, no doubt, from packing) comes out of hiding with guns blazing. It's a sight to behold, a thing of glorious beauty for all who share her opinion, but pretty soon other people are firing back... There are explosions everywhere; the smoke is terrible; people get hurt; AD bemoans the negativity of warfare as he trips off the anti-negativity landmines; Strix starts waving a white flag and telling people to point their guns elsewhere in a whopping display of personal hypocrisy; and Hic Comitas Regit gets blown to bits in the time it takes for the Cupcake of Doom to smash into Paris (sorry, Lys) destroying all life on earth as we know it.

All I'm saying is: Vala=hot button. I don't think there's a single person on this thread who doesn't care about other peoples' feelings, so we just need to keep this in mind and try to avoid inflammatory language when discussing Vala in relation to Sam. Pro or con, when you talk about Vala, you're probably pressing someone's hot button.

And now I'll go crawl under a rock for awhile.
                Last edited by Strix varia; 24 February 2006, 08:36 AM.

My LJ

Comment

I think it's more about what they've done with the new stuff and how it has affected Sam's character. And I do wonder what is going to happen to Sam when Vala comes on the show.

Me personally I never liked PU, and found the character of Vala too obnoxious (oops that sounds negative doesn't it?) but it makes me think they want to replace Sam with her
                  It's not a knee jerk hatred of anything new for me, it's that the newer characters seem to be being introduced at the *expense* of those we've come to know and love, with Sam particularly seeming to be in the cross hairs. My hope is that Vala is toned down and they see that it doesn't have to be either Sam OR Vala. I've we're going to have Vala, IMHO, let's at least use her for more than what we've seen so far. If Sam and Vala develop an interesting relationship it could be good for Sam. As people have said, they've both been hosts, they're both women in a "man's world"--you'd think that would give them something to talk about. Vala seemed to respect Sam in Beachhead, so that's a plus. I may be in a wishful thinking mood, but I'm hoping that since AT signed on for another year, they give her some opportunities to show her stuff.

Comment

I love Vala as well, and think that she and Sam will play well off each other. I do have a fear that she, along with Mitchell, will take over the show, though. I'd love to see more of Vala, she has a great perspective, I just don't think she's a character set up to be centerstage in Stargate, and sincerely hope she doesn't end up overshadowing Sam.

Since no one's mentioned this yet for COTG, I love the scene between Jack, Sam, and Charlie where Sam says they can set a claymores up along the hill and then Charlie agrees. I just love seeing her get accepted by those 2 as a soldier. And then of course the battle scene for the same reason. It always amazes me when I watch COTG and then something in s6-s8, she's grown so much.
                    Well I can't say that I really like Vala, at this point in time she's bearable for me, but I've nearly finished three seasons of Farscape and I absolutely adore Aeryn Sun and I really think if Claudia is given a chance she could be a wonderful addition to the cast. If Aeryn had been the character they had introduced to the show, I would have been completey pysched, but I still have a lot of reservations about the character of Vala. I'm just hoping they can add a bit more depth to Vala's character and figure out a way to really allow her to mesh with the rest of SG-1 without pushing aside Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. Given the right storyline, I truly believe Amanda and Claudia could have some absolutely amazing scenes with one another. The amount of talent in these two women is huge. It's simply a matter of the writers, producers and heads of Sony/Scifi recognizing the fact that having two strong women on the same show is a good thing and they don't need to diminish one in order for the other to shine.

As for COTG, I loved all the scenes mentioned already but one of the other scenes I loved was when the team came through the Stargate from Chulak and Teal'c hands his staff weapon over to Sam. I knew at that moment I wanted to see more of Sam and Teal'c together. Over the past nine years, we've seen this relationship grow and deepen and I only hope they allow us to see more of it in season ten.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 February 2006, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      Let's pick an episode from the beginning. Children of the Gods

What's your favorite Sam scene from that episode and why?

and if something was 'wrong' what would you have changed and why?
                      My favorite Sam scene has to be when she walks up to the event horizon of the wormhole. The delight on her face was great. And when O'Neill kind of throws her in.
                      As for wrong: The reproductive organs thing. Just too cliche. I did like the Matt Mason Astronaut doll thing though in that scene.

Did people watch Tin Man this week? I liked Sam saying about Harlan "He was probably afraid we'd damage him." Loved the expression on her face. And of course the "mole" scene. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        Did people watch Tin Man this week? I liked Sam saying about Harlan "He was probably afraid we'd damage him." Loved the expression on her face. And of course the "mole" scene. LOL
                        I love that scene. I wonder if Jack found the mole on P3X-595. You know, the planet where she drank that stuff that made her take off her...
                        sigpic

Comment

Are those pencils stuck in the ceiling? I leave him alone in here for 5 minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            It's not a knee jerk hatred of anything new for me, it's that the newer characters seem to be being introduced at the *expense* of those we've come to know and love, with Sam particularly seeming to be in the cross hairs. My hope is that Vala is toned down and they see that it doesn't have to be either Sam OR Vala. I've we're going to have Vala, IMHO, let's at least use her for more than what we've seen so far. If Sam and Vala develop an interesting relationship it could be good for Sam. As people have said, they've both been hosts, they're both women in a "man's world"--you'd think that would give them something to talk about. Vala seemed to respect Sam in Beachhead, so that's a plus. I may be in a wishful thinking mood, but I'm hoping that since AT signed on for another year, they give her some opportunities to show her stuff.
                            Let's hope the writers can see this too.

I too share your wishful thinking and if that happens I am willing to change my opinion about Vala, maybe even changing the colour of the hot button
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              Found an amusing little Sam/McKay fic Antartic Lemons, by Asanno. It's not Sam/McKay ship, just their usual antagonistic bantering
                              That was funny. Thanks for that. I love your recs, keep em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                LOL! Um... no. But I do like Sunkrux, AD, dancer, Ooooober and the other Vala fans who like Sam also, or are Sam fans who are at least willing to give Vala a chance. And I also like Coley, Sal, Mandy and the other people who have strong anti-Vala opinions. I love this thread, and the people on it.

Unfortunately, I think Vala is the hot-button battlefield topic for a lot of people on the thread (more so than any other topic), and all it takes is one passing shot ("I don't understand how you can't like Vala") and BAM! Coley (cranky, no doubt, from packing) comes out of hiding with guns blazing. It's a sight to behold, a thing of glorious beauty for all who share her opinion, but pretty soon other people are firing back... There are explosions everywhere; the smoke is terrible; people get hurt; AD bemoans the negativity of warfare as he trips off the anti-negativity landmines; Strix starts waving a white flag and telling people to point their guns elsewhere in a whopping display of personal hypocrisy; and Hic Comitas Regit gets blown to bits in the time it takes for the Cupcake of Doom to smash into Paris (sorry, Lys) destroying all life on earth as we know it.

All I'm saying is: Vala=hot button. I don't think there's a single person on this thread who doesn't care about other peoples' feelings, so we just need to keep this in mind and try to avoid inflammatory language when discussing Vala in relation to Sam. Pro or con, when you talk about Vala, you're probably pressing someone's hot button.

And now I'll go crawl under a rock for awhile.
                                Wonderful post Strix, and I also think your a great person. Just remember what Jack always said No gets left "under a rock"
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X