• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    And what about Blue Jello Corner ?

Even better.

Comment

"Jello Bowl"? "[insert word that starts with an O]Technobabble"?
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
        As I'm the culprit regarding the whole OT Samanda thread, I'll open it tomorrow when and if a majority of Samandans want it. We don't want our usual visitors to be left out because of time zones issues. Let's wait a full day and then you'll have free reign on the new thread SunKrux.
        By the way, if you have an idea for the new thread's name, tell us please.
        Uh, how about Samanda Chatter.
        Other than that...I got nothing catchy.

Ooo, now that I've seen the other ideas, how about "Sam's Blue Jello Lab/Lounge"? That way folks will know that it's a SAM OT chatter thread. Not that others couldn't join us...but that we'll do some chatting about Sam from time to time. Just the OT stuff, like, what kind of hair gel does Sam use and stuff like that?
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
          Uh, how about Samanda Chatter.
          I love that! hey, its sound like Sam Carter! (do'h!)
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            A while back our Royal Page suggested we pick an episode each week to discuss. What about picking one that is on the Sci Fi Monday line up so that those w/out DVDs (who have US cable anyway) can participate?
            Tonight it looks like, "Tin Man," "There but for the Grace of God" and "In the Line of Duty" according to the GW main page.

Thankyou, this is a much better idea jckfan. So those who don't have dvd's can watch eps on tv, and those of us who don't have scifi channel can watch the particular eps that are airing but on dvd.
            So, Tin Man, There But for the Grace of God, and In the Line of Duty. We should be able to get some wonderful Sam discussion out of those episodes .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Great, count me in! And I like "Samanda OT Chatter" ... kind of like a friendly neighborhood bar or pub to hang out! So you have my vote, Lys.

Please let us know, Samandans, if you think this a good idea and want Lys to open the OT chatter thread. Of course, please feel free to suggest a clever and witty name too!

And, yes, post right here as this is one OT line of chatter that has to be discussed before moving to the new neighborhood. I think it could be a win/win solution for everyone.
              An Off Topic Samanda thread sounds like a good idea. I guess it would be especially good for me, because I haven't had much to contibute in the way of Sam related discussion recently (though I'm sure I will once the new season starts). So I've possibly been one of major causes of off topic discussions lately. And I do apologise for that, it's just I'd prefer to hang around and chat rather than disappear entirely until season9 .
              I'm afraid I don't have any brilliantly witty titles, but people have already suggested some good ones.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

What about calling it: Hic Comitas Regit? Set a tone for the OT chatter, so to speak.

Though-it is kinda sad, sort of. I mean, does it really tie people's knickers in a knot that we sometimes do short tangents here? Plus "Samanda" has Sam as well as Amanda implications, and the title of this thread doesn't really cover that either, so technically, that stuff would be OT as well. It almost seems as though if the topic is such a big deal, we should just create a "Samanda" thread, period, and this thread can stay all about Sam only...

I know. I know what you're thinking, but ... seriously.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  What about calling it: Hic Comitas Regit? Set a tone for the OT chatter, so to speak.
                  I love this one !

Obviously, Samandans don't lack imagination. There's about one propostion from each poster and different ones. I hope we won't have to ask for a poll to determine the name of our OT thread.
                  Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                    Today is the day Amanda goes back to the studios for season 10 of SG1. This is a huge milestone both for her and the show. Why don't we celebrate it ? Samanda should be proud of 10 years of the great and wonderful Sam Carter brought to life by the great and wonderful Amanda Tapping. Let's remember. It was not so long ago, a new show was born and we were introduced to Sam :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1x015F0374.jpg

Sam and her fascination for the wormhole. Sam who wanted so badly to see the other side of the gate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1x045F0785.jpg
                    Sam who was ready to fight for her rights, who demonstrated a huge fighting spirit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...01x085F093.jpg
                    Sam, who loved children and wasn't afraid of showing her maternal side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../1x115F481.jpg
                    Sam, the official McGyver of the team and the gate expert of the SGC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...01x145F184.jpg
                    Sam, a true soldier who saved the base from Hathor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...01x155F210.jpg
                    Sam, the compassionate woman who refused to abandon a scared little girl and listened to her instincts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...01x175F101.jpg
                    Sam who was a geek enough to call her cat Schrödinger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../1x185F133.jpg
                    Sam who always fought and never let go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1x205F0219.jpg
                    Sam who, alternate reality or not, was always a brilliant scientist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...01x225F251.jpg
                    And Sam who had a huge love for C4.

For this amazing character, we should thank all of them who at one moment or another of the show were involved in bringing her to life, and especially the talented Amanda Tapping who portrays her with such intelligence, talent and charm. Sam was a great character from the beginning and has always being one. She was and will stay a role model in our minds and hearts.
                    wonderful Lys. Those caps (and your comments) make me both want to laugh and cry. It's good to remind ourselves of what a great Ten seasons we've had.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

what does "Hic Comitas Regit" mean?

I know what you mean. Maybe we should just make the thread and see how long it takes for OT to turn up here again. If its over 3 days, we keep it. or somthing like that. Tangents do tend to scare off newbies though, they want to say something when they read the thread title, and then don't think they can because we're talking about snow/bugs/insert-OT.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                        It's the motto for Samanda. Roughly, it translates into: Here Kindness Reins. There's a whole little kingdom mythology built around it and a really neat community that I think has grown bigger than anyone probably ever imagined it would.

I know what you mean. Maybe we should just make the thread and see how long it takes for OT to turn up here again. If its over 3 days, we keep it. or somthing like that. Tangents do tend to scare off newbies though, they want to say something when they read the thread title, and then don't think they can because we're talking about snow/bugs/insert-OT.
                        Yes, because this is Samanda, it's not just a "Sam Carter Character" thread anymore. And maybe that's the issue. This thread has become a lot more than it originally intended to be; maybe it's time to seperate the Sam thread from Samanda (which has a lot more to it), if OTness is an issue.

Comment

Kindness Reigns Here. It's the Samandan Motto. And I love the idea.

However, do we really need an OT thread? It's nice being able to stray occasionally. I mean, the J/S Ship thread do it all the time. When they tried to set up an OT thread, they were told no.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

Though-it is kinda sad, sort of. I mean, does it really tie people's knickers in a knot that we sometimes do short tangents here? Plus "Samanda" has Sam as well as Amanda implications, and the title of this thread doesn't really cover that either, so technically, that stuff would be OT as well. It almost seems as though if the topic is such a big deal, we should just create a "Samanda" thread, period, and this thread can stay all about Sam only...

I know. I know what you're thinking, but ... seriously.
                            What about calling it Samanda: Hic Comitas Regit.

I know what you mean though mini, I nolonger know what counts as Off Topic. I would assume discussion of cons, of sending letters to Amanda etc... would all be in the new thread from now on? And leave this thread to only be for discussion of Sam, whether it be from season9 or from earlier seasons. I vote that screencaps and Sam photoart should still remain here though.
                            I guess we'll get used to it after a while. Maybe new people will feel more encouraged to join the Sam thread if our Samandan chatter and inn jokes are taken elsewhere? I don't know.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Well I wasn't about to post my 3,000th post on GW on that Who Should Lead SG-1 thread...so here it is.

Here.

On Samanda.

For your eyes only.

/me tries to think of something deep or funny or meaningful or compelling to say

*crickets chirp*

I got nothin'.
                              yes grasshopper, the chirping of crickets contains very deep meaning

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                                What about calling it Samanda: Hic Comitas Regit.
                                Yes, essentially moving Samanda away from this thread... that's sort of what I meant.

I know what you mean though mini, I nolonger know what counts as Off Topic. I would assume discussion of cons, of sending letters to Amanda etc... would all be in the new thread from now on?
                                It would have to be.

I guess we'll get used to it after a while. Maybe new people will feel more encouraged to join the Sam thread if our Samandan chatter and inn jokes are taken elsewhere? I don't know.
                                I think trying to keep unbendable stricture on topic never works. While, in theory, it looks good and organized on paper (so does Communism), in reality people are people, we form communities, we chatter, we aren't robots and we don't fall into neat little patterns the way forums are structured. That's why there are moderators in place.

Even so, given we're not discussing world-altering seriousness here, I'd vote to either move Samanda to a new thread and leave the Sam Carter Character thread as a Sam Carter Character thread OR... I'd vote to keep it all here and just let it be. We fall off topic, we're nudged back on, either by Skydiver or by some other vigilant soul, no one ever minds that (at least I haven't seen it happen).

The more fragments we break off from the whole, the more we'll notice a fracturing of the community. That's inevitable, which is why I'd be reticent to jump into this, unless there was a really big rift in idealism that necessitated two seperate forum discussion groups.

This thread has been home to the SaGC thread *and* Samanda, quite happily, for a very long time. I apologize if I'm a bit dense in this, but I don't really understand what the problem is now that's any worse than it ever was before? Or maybe I just don't get it?

Comment

Working...
                                X