No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much CG for saying so brilliantly what I was thinking lately.

[soapbox]

I'm not against a little OT chatter, as I certainly do it more than I should do. But let me give you an example.

Recently, some of you have been discussing other TV shows or movies, or I don't know what. Yes, I don't know what you're talking about. Why ? Because I live on the other side of the ocean and it makes me feel like Tealc and his "What is an Oprah ?" line. And for those who wonder, I still don't know what or who Oprah is and I can swear to you, I'm not a Jaffa. And what should happen happened. I didn't even bother going back into the thread to search for Sam's or Amanda's related posts because I had to go through so much off-topic chatter. I think it's sad. When I come on line, the first thing I do is reading what's going on on Samanda. The last few days, I lost my enthusiasm about it. I want it back.
    I believe some other "big threads" have their own chatter thread in the off-topic section of GW. Why don't we open ours ? It would be the good place to share opinions with other Samandans and keep the discussion open to anyone if you feel like sharing it with all of us and would keep this thread on track, that is devoted to Amanda and Sam.
    [/soapbox]

And to keep this on topic,

Thank you Amanda for nine years of Sam ! We love you!
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Thank you so much CG for saying so brilliantly what I was thinking lately.

[soapbox]

I'm not against a little OT chatter, as I certainly do it more than I should do. But let me give you an example.

Recently, some of you have been discussing other TV shows or movies, or I don't know what. Yes, I don't know what you're talking about. Why ? Because I live on the other side of the ocean and it makes me feel like Tealc and his "What is an Oprah ?" line. And for those who wonder, I still don't know what or who Oprah is and I can swear to you, I'm not a Jaffa. And what should happen happened. I didn't even bother going back into the thread to search for Sam's or Amanda's related posts because I had to go through so much off-topic chatter. I think it's sad. When I come on line, the first thing I do is reading what's going on on Samanda. The last few days, I lost my enthusiasm about it. I want it back.

I believe some other "big threads" have their own chatter thread in the off-topic section of GW. Why don't we open ours ? It would be the good place to share opinions with other Samandans and keep the discussion open to anyone if you feel like sharing it with all of us and would keep this thread on track, that is devoted to Amanda and Sam. [/soapbox]

And to keep this on topic,

Thank you Amanda for nine years of Sam ! We love you!
      Lys, this seems like a reasonable suggestion ... maybe Sky (who is a mod) can help us set something like this up. How do you do that?

Again, I'm not too familiar with what's going on across the Forum. But another thread for Samandans to just chat and get acquainted online and share themselves rather than their love of Sam/Amanda may be the perfect solution!

Oh yea, what say?!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Lys, this seems like a reasonable suggestion ... maybe Sky (who is a mod) can help us set something like this up. How do you do that?

Again, I'm not too familiar with what's going on across the Forum. But another thread for Samandans to just chat and get acquainted online and share themselves rather than their love of Sam/Amanda may be the perfect solution!

Oh yea, what say?!
        Oh, it's quite easy. Let's just open a new thread in the off-topic section and call it "Samanda's chatter thread" or whatever you want to call it. I can do it. I'll just wait for the other members of this thread opinion before opening it. So, Samandans, please, let us know. Do you want an off-topic thread for us ? And if you have any name suggestion, please, share it with us.
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Sam is back for another year
          She's rarin' to go, have no fear
          Just one message to the writers
          If they've regained their senses ...

DON'T BOX SAM IN, WE DON'T WANT FENCES

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...al/SamCage.jpg

Let her fly and let her rip
          Sam Carter's ready to make the trip
          Into planets near and planets far
          Sam outshines every star!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Gal/Summer.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR, AMANDA! YOU GO, GIRL!!
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 20 February 2006, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I had a thought this morning when I woke up. Yes, I know it's a dangerous thing.

I know we've talked about writing welcome back letters to Amanda, the cheer her on for Season 10, and mine will be off in the mail today.

But what about writing letters to TPTB? To remind them that Sam/AT has a big fanbase, and remind them of all the things we love about Sam.

These letters should not be complaining, or negative in any way. They should be focused strictly on why we love Sam. We could polietly ask for what we'd like to see from Sam in Season 10, but the tone of the letters should be positive.

I've been involved in something like this before, and as far as I could tell, the results were fantabulous. I was involved in an online fandom of a character from another show, and at the time the complaints were very similar to what we've been saying about how AT/Sam has been underused. The season after we did our letter-writing campaign this character had some of the best episodes of the season, finally got backstory that we'd been asking for, and had some of the most beautiful work in the season.

Now I know it probably wasn't all us. But I wouldn't be afraid to wager that they had some impact on the show's, in our opinion, less than stellar showrunner. And hey, I got a letter back and a nifty hat to go with it.

What do you all think?

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              Oh, it's quite easy. Let's just open a new thread in the off-topic section and call it "Samanda's chatter thread" or whatever you want to call it. I can do it. I'll just wait for the other members of this thread opinion before opening it. So, Samandans, please, let us know. Do you want an off-topic thread for us ? And if you have any name suggestion, please, share it with us.
              Great, count me in! And I like "Samanda OT Chatter" ... kind of like a friendly neighborhood bar or pub to hang out! So you have my vote, Lys.

Please let us know, Samandans, if you think this a good idea and want Lys to open the OT chatter thread. Of course, please feel free to suggest a clever and witty name too!

And, yes, post right here as this is one OT line of chatter that has to be discussed before moving to the new neighborhood. I think it could be a win/win solution for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                I had a thought this morning when I woke up. Yes, I know it's a dangerous thing.

I know we've talked about writing welcome back letters to Amanda, the cheer her on for Season 10, and mine will be off in the mail today.

But what about writing letters to TPTB? To remind them that Sam/AT has a big fanbase, and remind them of all the things we love about Sam.

These letters should not be complaining, or negative in any way. They should be focused strictly on why we love Sam. We could polietly ask for what we'd like to see from Sam in Season 10, but the tone of the letters should be positive.

I've been involved in something like this before, and as far as I could tell, the results were fantabulous. I was involved in an online fandom of a character from another show, and at the time the complaints were very similar to what we've been saying about how AT/Sam has been underused. The season after we did our letter-writing campaign this character had some of the best episodes of the season, finally got backstory that we'd been asking for, and had some of the most beautiful work in the season.

Now I know it probably wasn't all us. But I wouldn't be afraid to wager that they had some impact on the show's, in our opinion, less than stellar showrunner. And hey, I got a letter back and a nifty hat to go with it.

What do you all think?
                Way to go, Deejay, another positive suggestion! Oh yea Samandans what say? I'm sure some of us have already posted to TPTB but what you are suggesting is a bit of a twist! Kill 'em with kindness ... ha! Brilliant idea! Hic comitas regit!

Let's generate some "what I like about Sam Carter" mail to those guys up there in Vancouver. Keep the negatives out, and accentuate the positive. I still think she's a hidden treasure and they don't even realize what a gem they have in Amanda. Let's remind them!

Which of TPTB should receive the Carter Plus mail?! Writers, exec producers, directors? All of them? Suggestions? Can someone once again kindly post the direct mail addresses to help us along?

Comment

Way to go, Deejay, another positive suggestion! Oh yea Samandans what say? I'm sure some of us have already posted to TPTB but what you are suggesting is a bit of a twist! Kill 'em with kindness ... ha! Brilliant idea! Hic comitas regit!

Let's generate some "what I like about Sam Carter" mail to those guys up there in Vancouver. Keep the negatives out, and accentuate the positive. I still think she's a hidden treasure and they don't even realize what a gem they have in Amanda. Let's remind them!

Which of TPTB should receive the Carter Plus mail?! Writers, exec producers, directors? All of them? Suggestions? Can someone once again kindly post the direct mail addresses to help us along?
                  Glad you like the idea. When we did this over at the other show, we targeted our mail on the showrunner, but I'm not as familiar with behind the scenes SG1 stuff as some of you are, so I don't know.

It might also help to post some points here that we might want to cover in the letters, because some people might not feel comfortable composing such things. (Though from what I see here, I doubt it, none of us seem bad at 'talking' do we?)

And we could spread this idea to other AT/Sam focused groups to get more mass. I would be glad to post it on all the Livejournal groups I'm in.

And whee! My 100th post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                    Today is the day Amanda goes back to the studios for season 10 of SG1. This is a huge milestone both for her and the show. Why don't we celebrate it ? Samanda should be proud of 10 years of the great and wonderful Sam Carter brought to life by the great and wonderful Amanda Tapping. Let's remember. It was not so long ago, a new show was born and we were introduced to Sam :

And Sam who had a huge love for C4. [/CENTER]

For this amazing character, we should thank all of them who at one moment or another of the show were involved in bringing her to life, and especially the talented Amanda Tapping who portrays her with such intelligence, talent and charm. Sam was a great character from the beginning and has always being one. She was and will stay a role model in our minds and hearts.
                    Hear, Hear! Three cheers for Sam and Amanda Tapping!

Comment

Great, count me in! And I like "Samanda OT Chatter" ... kind of like a friendly neighborhood bar or pub to hang out! So you have my vote, Lys.

Please let us know, Samandans, if you think this a good idea and want Lys to open the OT chatter thread. Of course, please feel free to suggest a clever and witty name too!

And, yes, post right here as this is one OT line of chatter that has to be discussed before moving to the new neighborhood. I think it could be a win/win solution for everyone.
                      Sure. A Samanda OT-Babble (?) like Sam's technobabble? thread. And in the meantime I'm sure no one will be offended by the occasional gentle reminder to get back OT in the main thread. We tend to have a one comment leads to another thought, and another and before you know it people are *way* off topic.

Comment

Sort of like a top 10 list?
                        Samantha Carter is:

Beautifully played by Amanda Tapping
                        Brilliant
                        A leader by example
                        Tough when she needs to be
                        A smart soldier
                        A good friend
                        Dedicated
                        Loyal
                        The heart and soul of SG1
                        Someone I want to see every week
                        Last edited by jckfan55; 20 February 2006, 06:57 AM.

Comment

OK, this may be a bit off the most recent topic, but does anyone else think that Sam's character is not being used properly??? In The Scourge, WHY did Cam pick Daniel to go out and scout, with him and Teal'c? Daniel is NOT military and I don't recall any episode where he receives military training. Sam is a Lt. Col. in the US Air Force, and as such, should have been the logical choice, and NOT Daniel. He should have remained in the cave, and used his talents as a linguist and "people-person" to soothe the shaken "politicians".

OK, mini-rant over.
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                            OK, this may be a bit off the most recent topic, but does anyone else think that Sam's character is not being used properly??? In The Scourge, WHY did Cam pick Daniel to go out and scout, with him and Teal'c? Daniel is NOT military and I don't recall any episode where he receives military training. Sam is a Lt. Col. in the US Air Force, and as such, should have been the logical choice, and NOT Daniel. He should have remained in the cave, and used his talents as a linguist and "people-person" to soothe the shaken "politicians".

OK, mini-rant over.
                            That's exactly what I thought when I watched the ep. I suppose its possible that they needed someone miltary to stay with the IOA, but if Daniel's not ready after 10 years?? Maybe it was for image: yes,of course we're looking after you, here's our best solider to watch out for you while we get the F302s. But of course then there's the fact that Daniel works best with people like the IOA (not that Sam's line wasn't lovely), and that time is a bit of the essence. Perhaps it would have been better to bring 3 piolets of 2-seater crafts rather than two?
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435

One of the letters could be a giant, full-colour screen capture of the Leadership poll results. And it shouldn't be sent to one person, IMO, because I'm all into paranoia and suspect the one person will destroy the evidence.

Comment

I say if folks want a chatter thread, start it.

and whether or not it survives depends on whether or not folks use it
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X