Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myrth
    Exactly jckfan, and the fact that she would be under more pressure.... or any pressure is wrong on so many levels. We have a modern day killer pandemic on our hands, created out of negative body image pressure. Eating disorders... and frankly hollywood and ludicrous standards set by flawed ideals, has a lot to answer for there..... which is part of why it's so important to have people like Amanda who have the courage to say.. I will not abuse my body for the sake of my child.

Far as I'm concerned she's the most stunning woman I know of and the standard by which I'm rapidly coming to judge... which is a hugely high standard. You know I'd be fine without her example, but I'm so much better with it.

I'm gonna start going on about how great and gorgeous she is... but I have to go to work... so.. well you guys know... Amanda is the real deal.

You know Myrth, it is so sad what's going on in the industry. I've been watching Inside Hollywood and they are doing a story on these two anorexic twins. These women are so thin they are close to death, and yet they still think they are too fat. Maybe if these industry execs had to deal with the problem in their own families they might get the idea of what kind of problem they are causing in our young girls. That's not the kind of Role Model I want our young girls looking up to.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      You know Myrth, it is so sad what's going on in the industry. I've been watching Inside Hollywood and they are doing a story on these two anorexic twins. These women are so thin they are close to death, and yet they still think they are too fat. Maybe if these industry execs had to deal with the problem in their own families they might get the idea of what kind of problem they are causing in our young girls. That's not the kind of Role Model I want our young girls looking up to.
      It's funny because tabloid shows and mags are the first ones to point out when someone is too fat or has gained wait, or (for the love...) looks like they may be pregnant (<--- worst offense, in my book). Yet, they're the first ones to point out when someone's too skinny. They attach names to them and everything. It's like people can't win one way or another.

But, from what I understand, these magazines are only catering to what society is looking for, so if consumers stopped buying them, the magazines would be compelled to change their focus.

But the odds of that happening are about as slim as society suddenly NOT putting undue pressure on young girls (and, to a lesser extent, young boys) to fit a certain model of perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Ooh, that's dark and quirky, TJ ... You would have been a fun playmate, even if you were a little dangerous!
        Fun and quirky? That's one description. I think my parents used flipping mental. I tended to play most of the roles on my own though, I never had many friends as a child. I didn't like the princess and the knight roles.

I used to get insanely jealous of the girl who got cast as the evil witch every year. I always got cast as the comedic clutz, the comedy hero. I pulled it off, didn't like it.

Spaz. Awesome post, dude! (Did I just use the D word? I guess I did.) But I disagree on one thing. I do want to see Cameron get a good reaming.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Yes, Amanda has that certain "something" and I agree on the Solitudes observation. Here she was, fairly new to the television industry and she's carrying this episode with RDA, the big star. Well, she certainly stepped in and gave it her all and it showed! I would so love to see this same duo now on the big screen ... AT and RDA, a winning combination! I don't care what some of the fans say, IMO there is chemistry there! Their teasing looks, the natural playfulness, and the professional skills, like the scene in the elevator with Sam "humming" ... if you watch that closely, the comedic timing/beats - just perfect!
          oh, i could see amanda and rick as the newest doris day/rock hudson of comedies! but they could easily switch to just straight drama. i think i'd actually prefer drama, just because i know what amanda's capable of. but they both have wonderful senses of humor, and we get to see more of it when they do behind the scenes stuff.

my all time fave movie that i sooooooooo wish amanda and rick had been in is The Abyss. if you've seen the movie, you'll know it was a virtual cavalcade of acting opportunities.

i hope they work on another project together.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            oh, i could see amanda and rick as the newest doris day/rock hudson of comedies! but they could easily switch to just straight drama. i think i'd actually prefer drama, just because i know what amanda's capable of. but they both have wonderful senses of humor, and we get to see more of it when they do behind the scenes stuff.

my all time fave movie that i sooooooooo wish amanda and rick had been in is The Abyss. if you've seen the movie, you'll know it was a virtual cavalcade of acting opportunities.

i hope they work on another project together.

sally
            Oooo I loved that movie! I could so see Amanda as the lead and arguing with RDA in that one
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i gotta say the only one in hollywood that even comes close to amanda is scarlett johanson. i really respect people who just say i'm trying to be the best i can be for myself and my family and everyone else can take it or leave it. Amanda Tapping and Scarlett Johanson are two people that I really do respect at the moment for who they are and what they do. another of my fave celebrities is Carrie Fisher. she's funny and she doesn't suck up to anyone. (i'm also a pretty big julie andrews fan since there's been talk of her lately)

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                She's letting people tell her she's too big? She's tall, but quite slim and still looked good even in the first ep. back after the baby for crying out loud. I remember reading that she said she was going to be sensible about the weight loss b/c she was breastfeeding. I bet that took some guts on her part and I admire her for putting her family and her health first.
                I look at these female so-called ideals and I just want to feed them a milkshake. They look positively ill. In one of the commentaries for season 8 one of the people was kind of joking about how little AT eats--well duh, she's not behind the scenes like you, donut boy. I bet the MS & CJ have a bit of pressure to stay in shape, but nothing like what AT does.
                totally agree. i was talking to a friend about this recently and said i even thought claudia black looked too thin in her five eps at the beginning of the season. (((claudia))) these actresses are made to feel like meat on display. and i'm sure they're made to feel that if you don't 'meet their quota', they'll find a replacement for you real fast.

i know it's all personal taste, but i find some of the actresses of today to be barbie dolls, with no definition because it's all skin and bones. what guy is going to find *that* attractive!? when you're with someone, you want 'something' to grab on to. but really, a little 'extra' on anyone is going to look sexy. but when it's a little 'less', it's just skinny. but again, it's all personal taste. (i personally find rda the most attractive when he's got a bit 'extra' on)

i really can't imagine, though, what it's like for a woman in the acting profession. and you thought high school peer pressure was bad...

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                  Sam did seem surprised at first, but then I thought I saw her shake her head like "of course they didn't honor it." It was rather fleeting. Did anyone else see that or am I indulging in wishful thinking?
                  i know exactly what scene you're talking about. and i agree.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess

I would have preferred some actual drama to come out of this deal Danny was trying to set up:

Sam would have responded to Daniel's deal by saying "Blue leader, proceed with the mission." When Daniel would sputter his next lines Sam would retort with passion. "They murdered Colonel Pendergast and 37 of his crew, Daniel! Murdered them after they'd surrendered. What's to stop (the Prez) from activating the sheild the moment the lights go back on down there?"

Daniel would take one look at President Fanatic and know Sam was right. Daniel would, in a selfless gesture, tell Sam to go ahead. Cam & Teal'c would blow the satalite out of the sky.

In the ensuing dramatic pause Sam would say, "Mr President, I've dispatched two flyers to pick up Doctor Jackson. I've rigged the <insert impressive technobabble here, resulting in....>"If he's not returned to us unharmed they'll turn your unsheilded bunker into an oven."

Prez Fanatic could still have gone psycho, Commander Perneaux could still have been injured while playing the hero to save Daniel, and later the two superpowers could still have blown themselves to bits, but we'd have gotten the pleasure of seeing the satalite go down spectacularly and Sam showing her command mettle(not to mention some sorely needed angst over the loss of a good character, Pendergast).

great scenario!!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      totally agree. i was talking to a friend about this recently and said i even thought claudia black looked too thin in her five eps at the beginning of the season. (((claudia))) these actresses are made to feel like meat on display. and i'm sure they're made to feel that if you don't 'meet their quota', they'll find a replacement for you real fast.

i know it's all personal taste, but i find some of the actresses of today to be barbie dolls, with no definition because it's all skin and bones. what guy is going to find *that* attractive!? when you're with someone, you want 'something' to grab on to. but really, a little 'extra' on anyone is going to look sexy. but when it's a little 'less', it's just skinny. but again, it's all personal taste. (i personally find rda the most attractive when he's got a bit 'extra' on)

i really can't imagine, though, what it's like for a woman in the acting profession. and you thought high school peer pressure was bad...

sally
                      ya know its funny you should say that, because i honestly believe that if i didn't know
                      Spoiler:
                      amanda was coming back in beachead, i wouldn't have kept watching
                      . they weren't going to do much with Teal'c, and even though i do like daniel, i didn't like the direction they were taking his character (its ok for a few eps, but not the whole show). so much for replaceable. i could live without daniel, because i liked his replacement,
                      Spoiler:
                      i'm managing without jack because, well i don't really know why... i love jack and i miss him. but i feel that they haven't just abandoned the character, and there is a chance he could be back for guest spots
                      . but if amanda were to leave the show, unless her replacement were almost as good, then i don't think i'd be able to keep watching. it would change the show too much. i feel she and teal'c are too important to lose. they are fundemetal to the show in my opinion.

Comment

Barbie, are you the same Stargate Barbie behind the absolutely frelling hilarious fic on Stargate Brats at the Moment?
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

SAM: You want me to wear leather?!? You're kidding right?
                          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Barbie, are you the same Stargate Barbie behind the absolutely frelling hilarious fic on Stargate Brats at the Moment?
                            I am not. i'm a terrible writer, if you want proof just ask to read the scripts i've written for college. awful! someone done stole ma screen name!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                              ya know its funny you should say that, because i honestly believe that if i didn't know
                              Spoiler:
                              amanda was coming back in beachead, i wouldn't have kept watching
                              . they weren't going to do much with Teal'c, and even though i do like daniel, i didn't like the direction they were taking his character (its ok for a few eps, but not the whole show). so much for replaceable. i could live without daniel, because i liked his replacement,
                              Spoiler:
                              i'm managing without jack because, well i don't really know why... i love jack and i miss him. but i feel that they haven't just abandoned the character, and there is a chance he could be back for guest spots
                              . but if amanda were to leave the show, unless her replacement were almost as good, then i don't think i'd be able to keep watching. it would change the show too much. i feel she and teal'c are too important to lose. they are fundemetal to the show in my opinion.
                              I have to agree, that if AT wasn't going to be on the show, I would stop watching. I mean with all her character has done on the show the writers should be smart enough to know that she is an integral part of the show along with CJ and yes even MS. (Yes eventhough they did do well without him in S6) I don't think anyone could replace Amanda, sorry CB but I really didn't like Vala. I didn't like Prometheus Unbound either.
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                someone done stole ma screen name!
                                Bahahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                                X