No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that weren't so damn long Uber, it'd be my new motto!!

Absolutely spot on in all facets.

One other thing I love about Amanda, one of the biggest things and something brought to Sam, is a lack of stereotyping.

To me Amanda Tapping is an example of a gift from God designed to show us what we can be. She's stunning and real. In a sea of hollywood stick figures and raging negative body image pressure we have Amanda. Far more stunning than any hollywood stick and even more so because her beauty is not skin deep, it goes all the way through and then some. I've heard things that make me sick, producers watching her eat etc.

I personally thank Amanda for not bowing to that pressure, and for standing up as a real woman and standing up for Carter as a real woman. We all have our issues, emotion refusing to be controlled by intellect... but I'll stand by this to Amanda and anyone else. She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, but fought hard to make that a non-issue for Carter. She's at the top of my list of people who've used their "fame" the right way, along with my list of modern day heros.... those who do their best to make someone else's life a little lighter.

I read/saw her comments about losing weight after Olivia's birth the right way because she is a role model to young women, and that just reminded me that she is someone I'm thankful to know exists.

So I thank God for the gift of Amanda and I hope she knows how ******* stunning she is. For the record the Femme Fatales shoot are some of the most gorgeous pictures of a woman I've ever seen. She's natural and real and I'd hate to see that ruined by false (and sadly popular) ideas of what women should look like. She was stunning in GUP too. Amanda Tapping is what hollywood should be asipring to, put it that way.... lol rant.. sorry side effect of working in the industry I work in.

Thankyou Amanda

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    You know, Sam really is a great character, isn't she?

Brilliant scientist, strong and capable soldier and leader. Compassionate, giving and loving. Willing to sacrifice personal fulfillment for the sake of duty and honor. Makes mistakes but doesn't sulk about them...rather she learns from them and moves on with her life.

She's been through so much in the time we've known her...these 9 short years where we saw her evolve from the young Captain spouting the Über-feminist "reproductive organ" spiel to try to fit in to this man's Air Force to the incredibly confident/competent leader we know today. She's lost friends and loved ones and suffered greatly at the hands of some cruel enemies. She's been to hell and back to rescue her father. She's killed gods and blown up suns.

But still at the core, she is a deeply compassionate and giving person who loves her friends and would sacrifice herself to save a whole planet or just one person. She is the essence of character and integrity rolled up in a brilliant and strong mind.

And with Amanda playing the role so deftly, she adds such depth and pathos to what could have been a very dry character who constantly spouts nonsensical techo-yadda-yadda with a propensity for all things naquadah related.

Instead we have a thoroughly multi-dimensional heroine with flaws and loves and strengths and fears.

No wonder I love this show so much. Just her presence alone makes the show worth watching.

I'm just sayin'.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Thanks for the meteorology and mythology lessons! Let's hope that the gods are kind!

In the meantime, I took a walk around my neighborhood after the storm and will say goodnight by sharing some winter beauty with you all ...

Peace, CG
      Oooh pretty!

Comment

Myrth - totally agree. Amanda is quite literrally the epitome of sex on legs for me. Those Femme Fatalle shots she did - way too hot. GUP and Off the Grid - way too hot. I can't understand why anyone (including AT herself) would have problems her body image. I would happily take Amanda any day over the so called 'sexy' celeberities that media is thrilled about.
        She was hot when I first saw her as the blonde chick on that Stargate show, and she is definitely still hot today

Comment

You know, I first saw AT before Stargate doing a commercial (for some not to be named medication) she was dressed as a doctor, and I thought back then she had such a prescence about her; one that doesn't really let you forget who she is. I may not have known her name back then, but when I first saw Stargate, I thought "oh she's the one from that commercial."
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
            If that weren't so damn long Uber, it'd be my new motto!!

Absolutely spot on in all facets.

One other thing I love about Amanda, one of the biggest things and something brought to Sam, is a lack of stereotyping.

To me Amanda Tapping is an example of a gift from God designed to show us what we can be. She's stunning and real. In a sea of hollywood stick figures and raging negative body image pressure we have Amanda. Far more stunning than any hollywood stick and even more so because her beauty is not skin deep, it goes all the way through and then some. I've heard things that make me sick, producers watching her eat etc.

I personally thank Amanda for not bowing to that pressure, and for standing up as a real woman and standing up for Carter as a real woman. We all have our issues, emotion refusing to be controlled by intellect... but I'll stand by this to Amanda and anyone else. She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, but fought hard to make that a non-issue for Carter. She's at the top of my list of people who've used their "fame" the right way, along with my list of modern day heros.... those who do their best to make someone else's life a little lighter.

I read/saw her comments about losing weight after Olivia's birth the right way because she is a role model to young women, and that just reminded me that she is someone I'm thankful to know exists.

So I thank God for the gift of Amanda and I hope she knows how ******* stunning she is. For the record the Femme Fatales shoot are some of the most gorgeous pictures of a woman I've ever seen. She's natural and real and I'd hate to see that ruined by false (and sadly popular) ideas of what women should look like. She was stunning in GUP too. Amanda Tapping is what hollywood should be asipring to, put it that way.... lol rant.. sorry side effect of working in the industry I work in.

Thankyou Amanda

Completely utterly true.

I was walking around cruising magazine aisles in a book store the other day, and saw all these famous actresses on the covers... all flowing hair and pristine and perfect. I'm not saying theyr'e not great, but they dont hold a candle to AT in my eyes. Sometimes I can just tell that smiles are fake, and personalities are so Hollywood'ed up that I have no desire to actually meet them. I just don’t trust when magazines go on about the glowing fabulous gorgeous people. But they talk about things like their relationships, and they’re favourite stores, and who they were caught with at that hotel one time.

With Amanda its utterly different. Even in her mags she talks about things like the amazing friendships she’s formed, how she’s grown from portraying a brilliant strong kick!butt fantastic female character. She talks about how she puts herself into it full-on, and takes away all she can. She talks about body image and confidence issues and stereotyping. She honestly says she’s grateful for what she’s given, and is happy with it, giving her all and everything to her commitments. She doesn’t stand down on her principles just to “get a role” she stays true to herself and what she believes in.

She’s absolutely an unbelievably amazing person to meet. Seriously every time I’ve met or even talked to her I just want to curl up and drift away in the fact that I’ve been lucky enough to be graced by her. The entire world should be grateful that such an amazing strong role model is out there. She’s had crap thrown at her through the years but she’s taken it in stride and become even better because of it.

When people talk to her they feel like they’re the only one in the world, because she actually listens, and wants to hear what you have to say. She’s enthusiastic genuine passionate and intelligent with her replies. She makes you feel special just because you’re YOU. I’ve heard many many stories about how she’s helped people, and I believe every single one because she’s helped me too.

She is also the most fantastic looking woman I’ve ever met, inside and out. She has an amazing body, wonderful eyes and the biggest hugest smile I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing! It pains me to hear her voicing self-consciousness, especially regarding Olivia. In a way thought it just make me love her all that much more. She’s still human, she talks about these things, and she gets through them because she knows she’s a role model, and I love her for it. Of course I still do want to smack her upside the head when she voices criticism of her body, because she is the absolute most gorgeous women ive ever seen, positively glowing, but hey, all I can do is tell her I love her and that I’m so glad I have her as my mentor.

MSam

(Coulda gone on for HOOOURS, but figured i'd better not bore you all!)
            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Exactly Sammo... she's a rich tapestry of warmth. Hot, smart, sexy, natural, real and wonderful and disarmingly normal and unafraid to voice her fears. I love that I'm not afraid to say that and wouldn't be to say it to her face.

And ditto on the slapping Sammo... she can count on us to provide a healthy slap when required!

Originally posted by MajorSam
              Completely utterly true.

I was walking around cruising magazine aisles in a book store the other day, and saw all these famous actresses on the covers... all flowing hair and pristine and perfect. I'm not saying theyr'e not great, but they dont hold a candle to AT in my eyes. Sometimes I can just tell that smiles are fake, and personalities are so Hollywood'ed up that I have no desire to actually meet them. I just don’t trust when magazines go on about the glowing fabulous gorgeous people. But they talk about things like their relationships, and they’re favourite stores, and who they were caught with at that hotel one time.

With Amanda its utterly different. Even in her mags she talks about things like the amazing friendships she’s formed, how she’s grown from portraying a brilliant strong kick!butt fantastic female character. She talks about how she puts herself into it full-on, and takes away all she can. She talks about body image and confidence issues and stereotyping. She honestly says she’s grateful for what she’s given, and is happy with it, giving her all and everything to her commitments. She doesn’t stand down on her principles just to “get a role” she stays true to herself and what she believes in.

She’s absolutely an unbelievably amazing person to meet. Seriously every time I’ve met or even talked to her I just want to curl up and drift away in the fact that I’ve been lucky enough to be graced by her. The entire world should be grateful that such an amazing strong role model is out there. She’s had crap thrown at her through the years but she’s taken it in stride and become even better because of it.

When people talk to her they feel like they’re the only one in the world, because she actually listens, and wants to hear what you have to say. She’s enthusiastic genuine passionate and intelligent with her replies. She makes you feel special just because you’re YOU. I’ve heard many many stories about how she’s helped people, and I believe every single one because she’s helped me too.

She is also the most fantastic looking woman I’ve ever met, inside and out. She has an amazing body, wonderful eyes and the biggest hugest smile I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing! It pains me to hear her voicing self-consciousness, especially regarding Olivia. In a way thought it just make me love her all that much more. She’s still human, she talks about these things, and she gets through them because she knows she’s a role model, and I love her for it. Of course I still do want to smack her upside the head when she voices criticism of her body, because she is the absolute most gorgeous women ive ever seen, positively glowing, but hey, all I can do is tell her I love her and that I’m so glad I have her as my mentor.

MSam

(Coulda gone on for HOOOURS, but figured i'd better not bore you all!)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                Exactly Sammo... she's a rich tapestry of warmth. Hot, smart, sexy, natural, real and wonderful and disarmingly normal and unafraid to voice her fears. I love that I'm not afraid to say that and wouldn't be to say it to her face.

And ditto on the slapping Sammo... she can count on us to provide a healthy slap when required!

Seriously, with the body image thing...

Amanda gives the best flipping hugs on the planet Earth, no joke. Just wraps you up in her brilliance and enthuses you with her "Aura" to be as cheesy as possible <g> If she was a stick, ther'ed be nothing there TO hug! Thank the lord she's not, because I dont know the world could live through the loss of those hugs. *sigh*

AMANDA HUGS FOR LIFE

Sorry all, im on a huge "Amanda's the greatest thing ever" kick lately... She's the kind of person, who, even if I dint know her, I can imagine seeing walking along the street smiling, and making me smile just for the fact that a person seeming so nice is walking about. Her wonderful'ness is catching, I swear.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                  One time she got the opporunity to meet Carol on location of something because AT's friend was working on it... but at the last second Amanda chickened out because she was too afriad to go through with it Can you imagine Amanda being so star!struck!? Aww, lol. Sounds like something I would do, not her! (((Amanda)))
                  i know. doesn't it make amanda even MORE endearing!?

(((((((((((((((((((((amanda)))))))))))))))))))))))

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    i know. doesn't it make amanda even MORE endearing!?

(((((((((((((((((((((amanda)))))))))))))))))))))))

sally

Absolutely it does *sigh...deep sigh* she's just like the rest of us in many ways... gives me hope!!!!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                      Sorry, I find this incredibly hard to believe. If the camerawork is set up to make Mitchell look bigger, why does he often look smaller than the other guys? And this kind of cracks me up because I've heard Daniel fans talk about how TPTB block a scene with Daniel in front of Mitchell to hide the fact that Ben is smaller. (Which is absurd, of course, because the farther away you are, the smaller you'll look.) But I truly can't believe they think about this when setting up a shot.
                      oh, shards, i don't know what the heck i'm talking about (just ignore me).

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        I actually think that Amanda, herself, got to play a part in Noises Off as a stage production during her live-theatre days. I think it's listed as one of her performances, don't know which part though.
                        amanda played the dumb blond in the production.

there was a movie based on this (as i said in another post), and nicollette sheridan played the dumb blond. (i LOVE this movie)

Sally, sorry you have to go to work ... but if you lived on the east coast, you probably would have gotten the afternoon off today! We had over a foot of snow in Philadelphia area and NYC had a record-breaking 27+ inches of the white stuff. This storm was so weird that I awoke in middle of the night because of lightning and thunder! And yet we were at below-freezing temps!

Boston is bearing the brunt tonight! Lots of shoveling going on from Virginia to Maine!

we had bad weather too!... almost got a sun burn today while i was at the beach. no really, it was hot and sunny... it's always hot and sunny. even while it's raining. really. i mean it. i said i mean it!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I watched Off the Grid again this evening. I had missed some of the Daniel and Teal'c comments that were pretty funny. They should have stuck with the original title though: Mad Max in Green Acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                              You know, I first saw AT before Stargate doing a commercial (for some not to be named medication) she was dressed as a doctor, and I thought back then she had such a prescence about her; one that doesn't really let you forget who she is. I may not have known her name back then, but when I first saw Stargate, I thought "oh she's the one from that commercial."
                              you know when i really saw how much presence amanda had? when i saw her in season 1's 'solitudes'. rda has mega star presence, but when amanda was up next to him... she totally held her own and then some! she wasn't over powered by rda's aura at all. amanda stole that ep.

mega power amanda!

(that's why i know sam/jack would work so much, because i see *sam/amanda* being the leader of that relationship!)

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                A sad note...

I have now officially lost all of my "Stargate" conversation buddies IRL (with the occasional exception of Annunaki). There used to be seven of us. Four at the studio and three friends who kept up. But the others have all decided over the past few months, at different times, that they no longer enjoy the series, and now no longer watch. It's just me left. *sob*

I hate to admit it, but I think the only reason I'm still here is because of the people in this thread, too! I was telling Myrth last night on MSN that I'm not really much of an online fan (she says after 800+ posts in the SAmanda thread at Gatworld *cough*cough*) but there's somethin' very special about this place and the people here that keeps me coming back to play. I have to tell you guys, it's all of you. Because as much as I think AT is a great talent and as much as I enjoy the Carter character in general (regardless of this year's storylines), if I hadn't been playing in this sandbox with ya'll, I'd have been gone as a viewer a long while ago too.

Bittersweet realization, huh?

mini(still sad to have lost her "RL" SG-1 conversation buddies)geek
                                ah mini, I'm glad you've got people to talk stargate with here.

And I'm sorry to hear about the real life friends, though, at least you had RL friends to talk stargate with in the first place .

Believe me, trying to talk about stargate with people who don't watch it is impossible .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X