Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    I just wanted to say that I think you all are really great group of people and I'm very thankful that I was given an opportunity to meet you. There have been times over the past few days when I really ask myself why I bother reading the forums. I find myself reading such negative and hateful comments that I often start feeling angry or depressed and I can't see anything positive through the trash that litters my screen. But then in my moment of darkness, I come here and I vent my frustration and read your wonderful responses and suddenly the world doesn't seem so dark and lonely anymore.

I want to apologize if any of my posts in the past few days have appeared overly negative. It was never my intention. Thank you all for being so kind and understanding, but most of all thank you for just providing 'Sam lovers' with a place to hide away from all the bashing. It truly is a blessing.

ForeverSG1
    I feel the same way, foreversg1. *hugs*

I'm not overly enthused about a lot of things Sg1 these days, but coming here and rejoicing in Samappeal is worth it all.

I'd also like to take a moment to thank all my fellow Samandans for the green and unconditional love.

(((Samandans)))

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Was that Night Terrors? - THAT was a *great* fic!
      And so was Mirror Image... and every other story that you've written!
      I'm not 'that' Sally. That would be the awesome Sally Reeve. But I'm honored to be in the same category for a moment, even if it was by accident.

Sally

ps - I didn't actually 'write' the fic I described, just did it all in my head. Sorry.
      Last edited by majorsal; 10 March 2005, 07:38 PM. Reason: sun spots and hunger
      sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking of this story where they are offworld... and they hallucinate... and the aliens (who don't have corporeal form) are feeding off of SG-1's terror. And I think at one point, Sam gets picked up by one of her feet and kind of tossed around the room? Errr... does that sound right?
        Now that sounds *really* familiar (the Sam getting tossed around the room part)... of course, I can't remember it's name. ( = memory)

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          On some level I agree with you...

But I can't help but think she has the same mindset as portrayed in one of my favorite Voyager episodes...DEADLOCK.

It's the last scene when Harry is talking to Janeway about how he was in one reality and now he's in another reality - that it's the same but different and how weird it was.

Janeway's response? "This is Starfleet, Ensign. Weird is part of the job."

I think that on some level this is what she has to think "I'm in SG-1 - and being taken over by an alien entity, being blended against my will, being hunted by a super soldier or whatever else... it's all part of the job description."

She's an integral member of the most elite force in the military. She has to be able to take extremely bizarre, death defying, violating situations and deal with them in such a way that she's not falling apart all the time. If she didn't have the psychological profile that could handle the things that happen to her on a weekly basis, she wouldn't have qualified for the team in the first place.

This is not to say of course that she doesn't have the right to fall apart every once in a while or get irritated or irrational (which is why I loved Paradise Lost - when she grieved for O'Neill and lost her temper)... that's just human nature and it would be completely unrealistic for her not to have extreme reactions every once in a while.

That being said - I do agree with you that there have been lost opportunities to explore any consequences/after effects from the situations you've listed...

Possibly, but she was given a spot on SG-1 before she or really anyone else truly knew what types of surreal events would happen to them in the future. Yes, being a member of the military probably gave Sam a better understanding of dealing with dangerous situations and dealing with the stress but I'm not sure there is really any training someone can be given to prepare them for their mind to be totally removed from their own body and placed inside a computer.

But then again maybe after eight years that's part of the SGC training now.
          I can see Sam giving a lecture at one of the SGC's training facilities.

Alien Entity Survival Training 101

ForeverSG1

Comment

I just wanted to say that I think you all are really great group of people and I'm very thankful that I was given an opportunity to meet you. There have been times over the past few days when I really ask myself why I bother reading the forums. I find myself reading such negative and hateful comments that I often start feeling angry or depressed and I can't see anything positive through the trash that litters my screen. But then in my moment of darkness, I come here and I vent my frustration and read your wonderful responses and suddenly the world doesn't seem so dark and lonely anymore.

I want to apologize if any of my posts in the past few days have appeared overly negative. It was never my intention. Thank you all for being so kind and understanding, but most of all thank you for just providing 'Sam lovers' with a place to hide away from all the bashing. It truly is a blessing.

ForeverSG1
            ((((((ForeverSg1)))))

Waitaminute.... You wrote negative thoughts? Here? I musta missed 'em.... Not too hard to do on a thread with a gazillion new posts per day, I suppose.

I agree, though; this is the most pleasent thread I've ever been in, too. I think we've put down roots, painted the shingles Jell-o blue, planted the white picket fence(sorry, too late for me to try for the 2.5 little Samandans, though. I'll leave that to you young folk.)
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              Now that sounds *really* familiar (the Sam getting tossed around the room part)... of course, I can't remember it's name. ( = memory)

Sally
              Might that be one of Julie Reynold's fics? Where aliens feed off emotions? Sam and Jack are in this room of sorts and I think Sam does get tossed around but Jack tries to talk her down from the induced nightmare? That fic did justice to all the team, as well.

What, you want a name? From me?
              Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Sam (gritting her teeth): "Yeah ... these anger management classes suck!"
                LOL!
                Jello shot for you! It was when she was talking to Jonas she does a little
                grunt and makes the funny face *hehe*. Just little moments like this when I really love Amanda.

ForeverSG1
                I got it right! Astrog faints dead away!
                Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                I agree, though; this is the most pleasent thread I've ever been in, too.
                I think we've put down roots, painted the shingles Jell-o blue, planted the white picket fence
                LOL!
                Might that be one of Julie Reynold's fics? Where aliens feed off emotions? Sam and Jack are in this room of sorts and I think Sam does get tossed around but Jack tries to talk her down from the induced nightmare? That fic did justice to all the team, as well.

And I think Sam is still a Captain... and yes, Teal'c and Daniel had substantial roles in that fic, too. But I think it was just Jack and Sam against the aliens in the final scenes?

Edited to add: Ah ha! TH was correct - the fic I was thinking about was by Julie Reynolds and it was called 'Forbidden' - great fic for anyone who hasn't read it!
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 March 2005, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  I'm not 'that' Sally. That would be the awesome Sally Reeve. But I'm honored to be in the same category for a moment, even if it was by accident. Sally

ps - I didn't actually 'write' the fic I described, just did it all in my head. Sorry.
                  oops - sorry!... Your fic sounds wonderful however... thinking of putting it into type? (said with a pleading tone, that could be construed as begging)

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    What makes Sam tick?! That's what this whole thread is about ...

While reading some of Amanda's personal interviews and transcripts on her website this morning, I realized that reading AT's own words reveals not only so much about the actor, but so much about what makes Sam tick too. You can watch how Amanda evolves as Sam through the seasons of the show just by reading her articles from 1997 on to the present. It's a terrific primer for learning to appreciate the character even more.

If you haven't read any of the articles yet, go on over and check them out. I've read many of them before, but each time I go back, I find something new and intriguing that I missed the first time. Kamil, the webmaster, has done a fine job on posting some really good interviews.

www.amandatapping.com

Go to "Articles" and enjoy! We can even quote from an article and discuss further if there's anything especially Samworthy that you'd like to bring to this thread.

Omigosh ... I just took a glance upwards and, lo and behold, I've earned my first green and glowy jello! Hey, MajorSam ... I'm officially a radioactive chick! Thanks, guys, for all the rep points!
                    Taking ChopinGal's suggestion, I went browsing on the AT website... and came across this quote... just love it!

"As an actor coming into what was more or less and established family, I felt a little like the new kid on the block when I started working on Stargate. I think Amanda sensed my apprehension on that first day. I remember struggling with a scene in Secrets in which Jacob is about to tell Samantha that he has cancer. Just as they were about to roll the cameras, Amanda took my hand and gave it a warm, reassuring squeeze. That meant so much to me. I can't say enough good things about her. Amanda is a Meryl-Streep-quality actress as well as a generous, gracious, and supportive person. I genuinely love working with her."

Carmen Argenziano (Jacob)
                    I just love all the Sam-Jacob scenes - these two actors worked so well together... and they came across as father and daughter so well!

One of my favorite 'Sam Lines' was in the Season 6 episode 'Descent'
                    when he tells her to be careful
                    and she replies with perfectly pitched sufferance and humor 'Ye-es, Da-a-ad'
                    ... just like any kid would answer their parent after hearing that said for what seems 1000 million times over their lifetime! Would love to get those two lines on an audio clip!
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 March 2005, 09:14 PM.

Comment

If that's that's the fic, then I'd look on amandatapping.com to find it. I think I remember seeing a Julie Reynold's fic or two there.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

And here's a snapshot to play with:
                        Guess That Episode

or...rename that episode...
                        or...make a caption for this pic...
                        Photo from the Official Amanda Tapping website

Comment

Possibly, but she was given a spot on SG-1 before she or really anyone else truly knew what types of surreal events would happen to them in the future. Yes, being a member of the military probably gave Sam a better understanding of dealing with dangerous situations and dealing with the stress but I'm not sure there is really any training someone can be given to prepare them for their mind to be totally removed from their own body and placed inside a computer.

But then again maybe after eight years that's part of the SGC training now.
                          I can see Sam giving a lecture at one of the SGC's training facilities.

Alien Entity Survival Training 101

ForeverSG1
                          Yeah - I can see the syllabus now in the Stargate Training Class Schedule for 2005-2006:

Goa'uld Symbiote Implantation 204:
                          Learn the intricacies of how to endure the pain and degredation of being implanted with a Goa'uld symbiote against your will. Prerequisites for this course include: Alien Entity Survival Training 101 and the Art of Resisting Mind Control 124

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

And here's a snapshot to play with:
                            Guess That Episode

or...rename that episode...
                            or...make a caption for this pic...
                            Photo from the Official Amanda Tapping website
                            Oi Carter! Gimme back my GameBoy!
                            Sir for the last time it is *not* a GameBoy!!!

or for a rename
                            Indulge the Old Crazy Man in his fantasies

Comment

I got this in my mailbox today and had to share.

Sometimes it DOES take a Rocket Scientist

Scientists at NASA built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity. The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields.

British engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high-speed trains. Arrangements were made, and the gun was sent to the British engineers.
                              When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurtled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's backrest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin, like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Brits sent NASA the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield, and begged the US scientists for suggestions.

NASA responded with a one-line memo: "Thaw the chicken."

http://www.thursdayfile.ca
                              Gracie

Comment

NASA responded with a one-line memo: "Thaw the chicken."

http://www.thursdayfile.ca

ROTFLOLOL!!!!
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X