Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Hehehe. I get confused looks all the time, asking where I'm from. I sound really southern now, apart from the odd word, and noone can believe I'm a midlander/northerner.

I got asked by a French woman the other week where in Beligum I was from, which I found hilarious. So I answered in Dutch that I was English. She was very confused.
    I think I sound like a very typical Torontonian. I used to believe that we had no accent at all, either. Because (as Mandy and others have pointed out) when I watch American news and television, I don't hear that much difference, if any at all. But having friends point out some of the subtle differences has woken me up to the fact that there are a few word pronunciation oddities between Canadian and (what I'll call American Broadcast Television-speak). Very subtle, imho, though.

I don't think I sound much like Amanda when I talk, but I've been told that I do by a few people, so maybe sometimes I do - my mother once called me up on the phone, laughing (years before I ever really watched SG-1) and told me she'd thought she heard me talking in the next room and was shocked I'd come over to visit - but when she went in to say hi, it wasn't me, it was "that woman from stargate on the tv" (my father had been flipping through channels and stopped there). At the time, obviously I laughed with her and thought nothing of it, but now I guess that's kinda cool. Eh?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      LOL, I must thank 1speed for the church signs! And there's an American saying or hymn that you may not be familiar with: "praise the Lord and pass the ammunition". Play on words.
      Oh, wow. No, I'm not familiar with it. I've never heard of that here in Britain. Good work though.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        Wow, you can really see how tall she is in that pic.

Sorry Mandy, was busy with my time dilation device on P3X 595
        Hmm? was that the only thing dilating on P3X 595
        I meant pupils dilating, you dirty minded people, you

(Thanks for the advice on this post Tracy)
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
          Hmm? was that the only thing dilating on P3X 595
          I meant pupils dilating, you dirty minded people, you

(Thanks for the advice on this post Tracy)
          Now we'll see who the part time GGGs are!!! Hehe.

No Problem, Mandy. Couldn't let a good comment like that go to waste!

Comment

Well minigeek, I think it's time we changed the subject and drop the whole accent thing. I think if we are going to talk Canadian we should talk about our beloved National symbol, The Canadian Beaver

I mean what is what is cuter than the oh so lovable, soft cudly Canadian Beaver
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Well minigeek, I think it's time we changed the subject and drop the whole accent thing. I think if we are going to talk Canadian we should talk about our beloved National symbol, The Canadian Beaver

Please. Don't. The temptation to go Oh So Off Topic and Un-PG with this is unbearable. Especially after the P3X 595 and dilation talk....

Comment

Have you seen the new BELL commercials??? Ha ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  Have you seen the new BELL commercials??? Ha ha ha!
                  No I haven't, have to keep an eye out for it
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

what could we talk about, fellow sam/amanda fans, in keeping with the spirit of this thread?

someone pull up a subject please.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                      Just wanted to pop in and post a quick response on all the talk of accents. I do hear it more in Amanda than Michael as someone else here has already stated. I was very surprised the first time I met Amanda at how thick (in my opinion) her accent is at times. When she sat down at the table I was at my back was turned to her and when she started talking I turned around and the first thing out of my mouth was "Oh my God your from Canada". To which she smiled and said yup. My shock was at how much she sounded like a good friend of my from Canada.

When I saw Ben Browder at a con he was talking about a review he read on GW on one of the early S9 episodes and how the reviewer said is Southern accent was really bad. I had to laugh when he said that would shock his friends and family back home in the Carolinas.

Here is a funny personal accent story. When I first started teaching in CA I had a 4th grader ask me what country I was from? I said what do you mean what country. He said well you talk with a funny accent so what country are you from? I laughed and said the country of Florida. For those that don't think Floridians have an accent - listen to a native born North Floridian and you will hear the Southern accent.
                      That's funny! I vacation in N. Caroloina (Outer banks) every year and I always come back with a southern drawl. To turn the coin my friends in New Jersey said I had a southern accent (I'm in mid Maryland) and I said "No I doooon't." and they fell to the floor laughing. I said, "what are you laughing AAAT? They laughed harder. So I guess compared to the folks in Pa., we mid marylanders to have a slight southern accent. I know the Eastern shore Marylanders have an accent all their own. I can hardly understand some of them. So, what I'm getting at, not aaat , is that accents can differ even within a state. My God! Did I write all that?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        what could we talk about, fellow sam/amanda fans, in keeping with the spirit of this thread?
                        I have a topic. Actually it's a "ship" question but a generic one. One having to do with Sam's character in general. It's something with respect to Sam's character I thought about after I read a few short fics over the weekend, a couple of Sam/Jack ones and a Sam/Barret one, and one that was Sam/Jack but started out Sam/Pete. How does Sam express deep emotions? And is she a lot different now than she would have been in say... season two (for example)?

What I mean is, in one of the fics I read, Pete told Sam he loved her before she told him anything (and I bought that). But I wondered ... is Sam always like that? Or would it be different for her with different people? (ie-> Jack?) ... would she say something like that first, or would she wait until he did? Like I believe she probably did with Pete...

I don't know. Canon sways back and forth with her a lot. She was pretty quick to "confess" her emotions to Martouf upon seeing him again in Ripple Effect. I think, with him (had they been truly shipped), canon might have had her be pretty quick to say the "three words" too. I'm not so sure how to (or if I can) rationalize that with her character, though. I think it was a canon flaw; a mistake - to have her be that OPEN with her feelings for him the way they made her be.

Or am I wrong? Do you guys see her as a lot more "heart on her sleeve" than I do? I tend to think she's even more reserved than Jack is (or would be) when it comes to confessing deep feelings...

Shall we discuss??
                        Last edited by minigeek; 08 February 2006, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I thought it was the Moose?

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
                            Nah. A beaver is just a baby moose.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
                              Only in the cartoons
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                I have a topic. Actually it's a "ship" question but a generic one. One having to do with Sam's character in general. It's something I talked to Anni about with respect to Sam's character after I read a few short fics over the weekend, a couple of Sam/Jack ones and a Sam/Barret one, and one that was Sam/Jack but started out Sam/Pete. How does Sam express deep emotions? And is she a lot different now than she would have been in say... season two (for example)?

What I mean is, in one of the fics I read, Pete told Sam he loved her before she told him anything (and I bought that). But I wondered ... is Sam always like that? Or would it be different for her with different people? (ie-> Jack?) ... would she say something like that first, or would she wait until he did? Like I believe she probably did with Pete...

I don't know. Canon sways back and forth with her a lot. She was pretty quick to "confess" her emotions to Martouf upon seeing him again in Ripple Effect. I think, with him (had they been truly shipped), canon might have had her be pretty quick to say the "three words" too. I'm not so sure how to (or if I can) rationalize that with her character, though. I think it was a canon flaw; a mistake - to have her be that OPEN with her feelings for him the way they made her be.

Or am I wrong? Do you guys see her as a lot more "heart on her sleeve" than I do? I tend to think she's even more reserved than Jack is (or would be) when it comes to confessing deep feelings...

Shall we discuss??
                                I believe Sam's experiences through the years with both the SGC and her love life have given her confidence to become more open and vocal with her feelings. Look how she "finally" opened up to Jack,.... well she was about to before someone interupted. I think this experience in itself gave her confidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X