Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SG1Poz
    Ok, What the Hec is Whackamole?
    It's a game where things pop up out of a hole, and you try to whack them with a club before they disappear again.

On edit:
    There's a virtual version here:
    http://www.bostonapartments.com/game...ack-a-mole.htm
    Last edited by Strix varia; 28 January 2006, 08:17 PM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
      I have heard that song before. Is it the Buffy soundtrack? I haven't seen buffy myself, but I have heard that song.
      Yes! It's from the Buffy Musical episode. That was a great episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        not a caption but notice how sam is the only one with a cape????
        CAPTION THIS
        http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/graphics/916_06.jpg

Now you have me singing "RawHide" so on that note, how about this:

Teal'c,"What is an OK Corral?"

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Sim's words, not mine.

On edit: I've learned not to drink anything while reading a post from Simhavaktra.
          Well in that case Simhavaktra - that was one of the best laughs I've had in a few days - Thanks
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

It's a game where things pop up out of a hole, and you try to whack them with a club before they disappear again.

On edit:
            There's a virtual version here:
            http://www.bostonapartments.com/game...ack-a-mole.htm
            Oh is that what it's called? I've played that several times but never knew or cared what the name is. LOL. Now I can picture Mitchell with the club too LOL!

Comment

Mini, care to tell us why you didn't like GUP?
              I posted a review of sorts, and several subsequent explanations back when GUP first aired here in Canada a few weeks ago. They're back in this thread somewhere but I can't find them - and I'm lazy right now.

EDIT-> Okay, that was fun! Apparently my ability to rant and rage can be tedious and unending... I found posts over several pages of thread.

There's a post by me about mid way down this page here (in spoiler tags, mostly):

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...6913&page=1143

Then there were a few more short ones in the next couple pages, and then another long spew session here *g* - prompted I think by Oooberness' review:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...6913&page=1146

And I'm sure I went on after that. And on. And on. So if you're CERTIFIABLY NUTS ... feel free to go back and re-read. Heh.
              Last edited by minigeek; 28 January 2006, 08:45 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                Or they don’t have a plan at all [for Mitchell].
                In my mind, this is no longer in question.

I’ve always thought Sam was more than able to hold her own in a command position, and I’ve never understood the vehement denials of that, either. Yes, her command style is very different than Jack’s, but, so is Hammond’s and Reynold’s and Edwards’, et cetera, et cetera. So what? Yes, she’s a woman, and she brings that fact to what she does, but she’s also a trained soldier, and she does things as a soldier, and an officer, and she approaches what she does as an officer.
                Well said. I think that a lot of the criticism of Carter's believability or efficacy as a commander has to do with implicit sexism. Carter talks and behaves, in general, differently from some of the more prominent male commanders. Her style of communication is, IMO, more 'feminine' (in the psychological sense), and most people tend to associate leadership with 'masculine' (and not feminine). In addition, Carter seems to be held to a higher standard: As best as I can discern, she's 'not very good' because she doesn't defeat the bad guys by the beginning of Act II. Or something.

Needless to say, I think Carter's great. Diversity of style is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  I posted a review of sorts, and several subsequent explanations back when GUP first aired here in Canada a few weeks ago. They're back in this thread somewhere but I can't find them - and I'm lazy right now.
                  Nevermind... yes, I remember now. It was your reservations that made me expect some cringe-worthy moments.

My LJ

Comment

Nevermind...
                    D'oh! And I went back and edited that post up there with links and everything.

yes, I remember now. It was your reservations that made me expect some cringe-worthy moments.
                    Yep. And apparently we disagree a bit on this ep. Which is fine. We don't have to agree on everything. We can have different opinions and still be friends. Y'know, compadres and all that. Totally. I'll speak to my therapist about this later...

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth

It looks like they're gearing up for a Landry/Carter showdown at some point, so that aspect would be far more fascinating were SG-1 purely on her shoulders.
                      why do you say that?

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        GUP sucked. Bah humbug. Crap-ola story (or lack thereof). I'm in the mood for some Pilot!Sam tonight ... think I'm going to go watch Redemption (which, by the way, had far better Sam/Rodney interaction in it, too). GUPBLEH.

mini(puh-leeze)geek

Oh.. but, that aside...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
                        COLEY!!!
                        not much of a GUP fan either, but that's because i have ISSUES with sam kissing anyone but jack.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven

i like sam's hair in this.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            Spoiler:

The sad thing is when any member of SG-1 is written poorly or out of character it really makes the entire team appear unbelievable. The writers end up writing all of them in a way that is not true to their character in order to achieve the ending they wish for the story.

snip, snip.

I guess for me, I'm becoming highly discouraged because I find it rather pathetic that I'm spending my time trying to find things to like about each episode rather than truly enjoying them. Yes, Sam rocked in Stronghold, but as much as I enjoy Sam, that still doesn't make the rest of the episode any less of a disappointment. I've never expected to enjoy every episode of Stargate. I am fine with the idea that in every season there will be a few episodes that I may not completely enjoy, but in the past eight years there have always been more episodes that I've enjoyed each season than ones I disliked. With only six episodes left in season nine, I'm really beginning to worry that this will not be the case.

Kat
                            I couldn't agree with this part of your post more if I had written it myself. The rest of the team is being dumbed-down for the sake of a character that is not fitting in. Mitchell just serves to make the team distant and out-of-character - he is, IMO, a mess and we have TPTB to thank for that.

I agree also that in a 42 minute show 10 minutes of good or even great stuff (Carter in charge was great stuff and Bra'tac was good) does not make an episode and I said at the end of this one (much of which I fast forwarded through - again - and it was the Mitchell stuff, which holds my attention less than 3 seconds never mind for half an episode), why the heck am I wasting my time (and that was after I woke up after falling asleep DURING the episode and watched it on tape and I still felt that I wasted my time!!). I once asked the question why I cared about this show so much and why I cared about this character so much now I ask myself why am I wasting my time - boy how times have changed. I have to learn to let go and get my hour (or half hour or ten minutes back, however long I end up spending actually watching/fast forwarding through an episode) I need to let go fully and get that time back.
                            Last edited by binkpmmc; 28 January 2006, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              I couldn't agree with this part of your post more if I had written it myself. The rest of the team is being dumbed-down for the sake of a character that is not fitting in. Mitchell just serves to make the team distant and out-of-character - he is, IMO, a mess and we have TPTB to thank for that.

... just wait for vala.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

I think Sam & Landry's relationship is interesting.... she's been used to being able to rely on support from the commander of the base. First Hammond, then Jack. Both of whom she had long standing relationships with.

Landry is questioning her which she hasn't been expecting. It's been a little jarring to me as a Sam fan to see a General who doesn't necessarily support her.

I think if it were a team of 3 it would be up to Carter to fight for the team and given Landry's responses to her at times... I think it would be a more interesting dynamic.

That probably makes no sense.. lol.

Originally posted by majorsal
                                why do you say that?

sally
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X