Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    yeah, sorry, non-con = non-consensual sex
    I tend not to be a big fan of those types of stories (in fanfiction) and usually I'll skip them because I find that too often the issue(s) aren't treated appropriately and/or the author puts a character (like Sam) into a non-con situation wherein I don't buy that she'd be a victim. It took some serious persuasion for me to read this particular piece of work, but in the end, I think this author actually came up with a scenario I buy into. Carter's such a strong character, in many ways, I'm very particular about what types of scenarios I'll deem OOC for her to go through. All I can say about this story is that I found it to be emotionally resonant, not implausible, deeply disturbing at times, but also deeply moving and very respectful to the kind of 'devotion' that (I personally feel) Sam and Jack have for one another, both professionally and personally. Sky's right though, it's not much of a team fic, it's very S/J focussed, with Janet and Daniel thrown in for good measure.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      spoilers about the fic
      Spoiler:

sam is raped, repeatedly in exchange for the aliens not killing jack and daniel. quite obviously she has some serious issues with it, and not just nightmares and flashbacks. there are also physical manifictations ofher issues.
      jack takes her up to his cabin to help her heal and, well to keep her out of a mental ward

the rapes aren't horribly explicit, but they are also explicit in a way, not quite a blow by blow account but more details than 'i was raped'

not one for the faint of heart.

it's also a long fic, i think all 5 chapters come to over 200 pages
      Thanks both of you for clearing that up. That's exactly what I can't read. It's too ick. If I'm feeling brave one day, I might have a go, as long as Ooober or someone's on the other end of MSN to pick up the pieces.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Personally I think it'd go more like..

Spoiler:

Jack: You mean there's a reality where you'll [leans in to whisper in Sam's ear]
        Sam: [stares at him for a moment] No.
        Jack: Ah, that's a shame....

Originally posted by minigeek
        LOL - actually...

Spoiler:
        Taking into account the sheer number of realities we've already seen where Sam and Jack area already snoggin' (including this one!! *g*) - it'd be more likely the scene would go:

Jack: Does that mean that somewhere out there, there's a reality where you and I DIDN'T spend last night ... (he leans over and whispers something inaudible into her ear)
        Sam: (blushing) Theoretically... (she looks up at him with a sly smile) ... but I doubt it.

minigeek
        sigpic

Comment

I tend not to be a big fan of those types of stories (in fanfiction) and usually I'll skip them because I find that too often the issue(s) aren't treated appropriately and/or the author puts a character (like Sam) into a non-con situation wherein I don't buy that she'd be a victim. It took some serious persuasion for me to read this particular piece of work, but in the end, I think this author actually came up with a scenario I buy into. Carter's such a strong character, in many ways, I'm very particular about what types of scenarios I'll deem OOC for her to go through. All I can say about this story is that I found it to be emotionally resonant, not implausible, deeply disturbing at times, but also deeply moving and very respectful to the kind of 'devotion' that (I personally feel) Sam and Jack have for one another, both professionally and personally. Sky's right though, it's not much of a team fic, it's very S/J focussed, with Janet and Daniel thrown in for good measure.
          i'm alright reading non-con stories, but this one wasn't one of my faves. i felt it was over done with the idea (as in, TOO MUCH). i've read some others that hit home for me a lot more. not that i think this fic wasn't well written, just too much.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
            Personally I think it'd go more like..

Spoiler:

Jack: You mean there's a reality where you'll [leans in to whisper in Sam's ear]
            Sam: [stares at him for a moment] No.
            Jack: Ah, that's a shame....

Oh, brilliant, Myrth... that would be a hilarious scene.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I normally don't read the non-con stories but I did read Stix varia's Surviving, and found it was well written and could bring a tear to your eye. It was integral to the plot but there was so much more with the team, and yes it was a team fic

http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/surviving.htm
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

here's a question for you guys. (and a very top topic too)

would you have wanted to see a sam-rape story on stargate?

my answer: yes. BUT, *only* if it would have been written well (as in a woman writing it) AND it would have had reprocussions to it (as in following up that this event had lasting impressions). too many big things have happened to sam over time that have not been shown to have lasting impacts.

thoughts?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

my answer: yes. BUT, *only* if it would have been written well (as in a woman writing it) AND it would have had reprocussions to it (as in following up that this event had lasting impressions). too many big things have happened to sam over time that have not been shown to have lasting impacts.

thoughts?

sally
                  I wouldn't want to see anyone write a rape story period. I think the gender of the author is completely irrelevant as well.
                  I fail to see the enjoyment factor of exploring how multiple rapes affect the character.
                  Sorry to sound judgemental, but I find the thought of it sick.
                  Last edited by Lightsabre; 26 January 2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

thoughts?

sally
                    I think with them coming close in Emancipation was enough, the emotions were there for everyone fearing it would happen. Not to mention I think the team was brought closer together without having to have a rape.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                      I wouldn't want to see anyone write a rape story period. I think the gender of the author is completely irrelevant as well.
                      I fail to see the enjoyment factor of exploring how multiple rapes affect the character.
                      Sorry to sound judgemental, but I think it's kinda sick.
                      That is judgemental. First of all. Second of all, the gender of the author, in this case, *would* make a substantial difference - and if you do not realize that, then you have no concept of the reality behind the situation you're passing such arrogant commentary on. Thirdly, as a survivor, I take immense umberage with your casual disregard and pithy disrespect for the very notion that fiction or non-fiction scenarios written or read can be a tremendous outlet for anyone who's ever needed to feel "not alone" with this type of situation, at the end of it all. Your logic is cold and uninformed, and I would thank you please, not to pass sweeping judgement on a literary subjectmatter you cannot possibly begin to empathize with.

Comment

The author's note covers it well (from the first story):
                        http://www.sg1-heliopolis.com/helio2.../aleaiacta.php

I can also say, despite the tremendous whumping, that this story contains several of the most beautifully eloquted Sam/Jack emotonal moments I've read as well.
                        If this is the story I remember, I think this story started out wonderfully and then lost me around the end of the third chapter when Jack started using nicknames like 'baby'. I can deal with these kind of nicknames once or twice in a fic, but over and over drives me batty. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Give me a good Sam whumping any day of the week, but stories totally lose me when S/J get over the top mushy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                          I normally don't read the non-con stories but I did read Stix varia's Surviving, and found it was well written and could bring a tear to your eye. It was integral to the plot but there was so much more with the team, and yes it was a team fic

http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/surviving.htm
                          Totally agree with you... I've loved everything I've read by Strix.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            If this is the story I remember, I think this story started out wonderfully and then lost me around the end of the third chapter when Jack started using nicknames like 'baby'. I can deal with these kind of nicknames once or twice in a fic, but over and over drives me batty. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Give me a good Sam whumping any day of the week, but stories totally lose me when S/J get over the top mushy.
                            Kat, I agree about the nicknames. I kept pretending they weren't there, they'd jar me out of the story each time. It was parts one through three I found most readable. There is a moment, in part five, that I loved though - where Daniel forces Sam to look at her reflection in the mirror; what she saw there was so well written. In my point of view, at least. That particular scene really touched me.

Comment

That is judgemental. First of all. Second of all, the gender of the author, in this case, *would* make a substantial difference - and if you do not realize that, then you have no concept of the reality behind the situation you're passing such arrogant commentary on. Thirdly, as a survivor, I take immense umberage with your casual disregard and pithy disrespect for the very notion that fiction or non-fiction scenarios written or read can be a tremendous outlet for anyone who's ever needed to feel "not alone" with this type of situation, at the end of it all. Your logic is cold and uninformed, and I would thank you please, not to pass sweeping judgement on a literary subjectmatter you cannot possibly begin to empathize with.
                              Yes and I admitted it was. I also apologised for it, as I recognise that I was being judgemental, but that's the way I feel.
                              I fail to see how a woman writing a rape story would write it well, but a man wouldn't.
                              Before I address the rest of your completely out of line post, I will remind you that the question was "would you want a rape story on GW".
                              I don't. So that's what I posted.
                              You are the one who is dening me a)the right to express MY opinion
                              and b)attacking and insulting me for holding said opinion.
                              I did not say that no one could write or post a rape scenario, I said I would not like to read one.
                              I also said I find the idea a little bit sick. You find it offensive that I find the idea of rape sickening?
                              I said absoloutly nothing about writing being used as an outlet, but the cold hard fact is that even if the writer writes it as a release, they do not need to publish it.
                              You call me cold and uninformed, assume I could not emphasise with the subject matter and tell me I have no concept of it.
                              So let me ask you this, how do you know I'm not a survivor.
                              Maybe you should let others have their opinions, rather than attacking and attempting to shout them down, when they disagree with you.

Comment

thoughts?
                                sally
                                I'm not sure I could have handled seeing it on television. At least in a fic, it's only as bad as what I allow myself to conjure up in my own mind and if things get a little vivid in description I can always jump a few words here and there and still not miss too much of a story, but I think seeing Sam go through something like that would be much too painful. Abyss is one of my favorite episodes. I personally think it's one of the best performances MS and RDA have ever done on the show. I loved their scenes together, but even now after seeing the episodes literally dozens of times it really is very unsettling to me to watch Jack go through that kind of torture and seeing his mental strength slowly deteriorate. I'm not sure I could handle seeing the same time of thing with Sam, especially if it involved rape.

Comment

Working...
                                X